Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by iShoot17
Mark V? Vanguard? Other? Which model(s)?

Each of these calibers have peaked my interest as of late and I am debating picking both calibers up in the future if funds become available. I figured I’d seek advice and feedback here.

They would be used for hunting mostly, the occasional varmint / target (not saying they would be used often for this, but being honest they would make an appearance in the groundhog fields and steel target fields at some point), and as a group of us continue to discuss future hunts - will likely be used in the mountains out west and up north (some day, Alaska, some day).

I’ll be completely honest and say I do not “need” either; however, I enjoy handloading, experimenting with new cartridges, and enjoy variety. While I’m not actively looking for a new hunting rifle, I can say the local LGSs seem to have a fair amount of WBYs in stock. If a deal presents itself, I’d gladly jump if life allowed it.

Reasons behind these two specific cartridges:
- A recent conversation with some folks got me discussing the 8mm Rem Mag likely being my favorite cartridge - they countered with, “have you tried a 340WBY?”
- For some reason, I have 257WBY brass. I also don’t own a quarter bore.

So what say y’all? Which rifle and models would ya suggest? (Not looking for a compare between the two, but rather, what platform The Fire suggests for each caliber.)

The Mark V action is needlessly large for the .257 and because it is a far more versatile cartridge than most people know, especially of they haven't ventured there previously, such a rifle will be carried and used more than planned for initially. I have loaded for 3 Mark V's and 1 Vanguard in .257 and the Vanguard was the tidier package.

For the .340, Definitely go for the Mark V and take advantage of that long magnum length action. I've owned 2 in .340 and a 3rd in .338 and the Mark V is a good platform for that cartridge which is terrific for medium to larger animals. The biggest decision you will have with a .340 is the huge volume of bullet types and weights out there during a normal market. A Barnes 185gn TTSX bullet will kill anything that eats grass and a 250gn Partition if 265gn Barnes LRX will take anything that wants to eat you.

The .257 Weatherby is easy to load for and the 2 Partitions in 100gn and 120gn, the 110gn Accubond or the 100gn Barnes TTSX will take anything that eats grass. The accuracy will also be very pleasing as they cartridge is one of the best and most practical in the Weatherby line.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
GB1

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
I appreciate all of your feedback! It sounds like just about everyone believes the 257WBY is a great, versatile cartridge to own. I believe I will pursue this sooner-than-later! Keeping both the MKV and Vanguard in mind.

As for the .340 - I suppose that one the jury is still out. While certainly excessive to my needs at this point, it sounds like an excellent cartridge. With that said, the 416WBY MKV ClassicMark I own is likely excessive as well, but I do enjoy it for the occasional use!

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by ingwe
.257...in a Vanguard of your choice. I wouldn't cross the street for a free Mark V

If you don’t mind me asking - why the Vanguard over the MKV?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I With that said, the 416WBY MKV ClassicMark I own is likely excessive as well, but I do enjoy it for the occasional use!

To clear out your sinuses?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Got both chamberings in the safe, 257 is a mk 5 ulw, 340 is the fibermark. Not much a guy couldn’t do with those 2.

Yeah, those two cover a whole lotta Earth in my opinion. If you like MK5's, they are a classic pair in my book.

Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Cartridges are extreme ends of the spectrum. Split it down the middle and get a 300 wby.

Exactly.

I own a 340 in a MkV Fibermark and love the rifle but I’d personally not consider it a varmint or target rifle as your criteria suggested.

I’d say the 257 would be my choice of the two given the details of your post but outside of your post - I’d choose my MkV in 300 Wby also in a Fibermark. Imo, the 300 Wby is arguably one of the worlds most legendary all around versatile rifles - I own one and seldom reach for the 340 anymore. It’s just too much of a good thing.

My .02

I've always been of the thought if a fella can handle one and shoots good bullets out of it, the 340 Wby is the king of the elk mountain. Same for the 338 RUM as well, but I wimped out and got a P64 338 Win Mag a long time back and have never gotten a big 338 since the 338 Win works great for me. I know 338's aren't needed but I gave up on caring what was needed awhile back and decided I'd use what I liked grin

Dober burned through a bunch of barrels on a 340 shooting rock chucks and such with his 340 as well. Said it was a heckuva lot of fun from what I remember.

Semper Fi
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scotty, the creed and 7/08 have made the 338’s obsolete in the elk “woods”… 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scotty, the creed and 7/08 have made the 338’s obsolete in the elk “woods”… 😂😂

Jeeze, maybe so JMan, but not for me yet grin

Man, I think you said it, if whoever wants to run a 6.5 or 7-08 is welcome to em. Honestly if you took all my stuff away from me and said make meat with them (6.5 and 7-08), I think I'd still be fine, but I just ain't there yet.

Sorry, didn't mean to get off topic, getcha the 340.. I love hearing about bulls getting the business with the big guns laugh

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve shot several and seen several shot with with 243, 6ai, 250/06. For me when I draw a LE bull tag it’s a big 30 or 338. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ve shot several and seen several shot with with 243, 6ai, 250/06. For me when I draw a LE bull tag it’s a big 30 or 338. 👍

We're in the same camp. My Mashburn or 338 get the nod.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think it was ‘91 and I had just picked up a Guns ‘n Ammo at a mall in Des Moines. The cover exhibited a winding, domino-type line-up of 340 cartridges. Pure loony stuff. The 338 Rem 700 I had in 338 was going to be rechambered to a 340 after I read Ross Seyfried’s piece on his Champlain 340 inside. (I think that was the year).

The action was fitted with a 3-pos safety, the bolt with a Sako-type extractor (I had a Rem extractor break on an elk hunt). This was all in a Brown Classic Precision stock with a Pachmayr pad. The barrel was a 24”. The barreled-action was glass bedded into the stock. Mounts and scope, sling and 4 rounds came to 8 1/2 lbs which I decide for me was never to be exceeded for mountain hunting.

There were other details but I worked on many loads for that rifle, eventually settling on the 210 TSX at ~ 3200 fps which was the most accurate. Ten bulls fell to that rifle, my furtherest at a step under 500 yards, but most between 400 and 500. It slammed them.

I sold it awhile back but it was my all-time favorite.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think it was ‘91 and I had just picked up a Guns ‘n Ammo at a mall in Des Moines. The cover exhibited a winding, domino-type line-up of 340 cartridges. Pure loony stuff. The 338 Rem 700 I had in 338 was going to be rechambered to a 340 after I read Ross Seyfried’s piece on his Champlain 340 inside. (I think that was the year).

The action was fitted with a 3-pos safety, the bolt with a Sako-type extractor (I had a Rem extractor break on an elk hunt). This was all in a Brown Classic Precision stock with a Pachmayr pad. The barrel was a 24”. The barreled-action was glass bedded into the stock. Mounts and scope, sling and 4 rounds came to 8 1/2 lbs which I decide for me was never to be exceeded for mountain hunting.

There were other details but I worked on many loads for that rifle, eventually settling on the 210 TSX at ~ 3200 fps which was the most accurate. Ten bulls fell to that rifle, my furtherest at a step under 500 yards, but most between 400 and 500. It slammed them.

I wanted a 340 after reading Hagels account with the 340 and 210 PT's in some of the older books, then I bet I read the same Seyfried article on the 340.

I would imagine your 340 with 210's at 3200 was a bull STOPPER! Awesome.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Right, Hagel But he moved on to the 378! I wonder which fire-breathing muscle car of the 60’s he drove. He seemed to be enamored of big engines pushed hard.😉

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

I wanted a 340 after reading Hagels account with the 340 and 210 PT's in some of the older books, then I bet I read the same Seyfried article on the 340.

When I first bought mine (blame Hagel 100%) I thought I’d found the magic wand of emphatic hog killing machines - and I had. In the open country we ranched, shots way beyond 4-500 were possible but limited by my optics of the day. I can still visualize the 1/2” entry & 4” exit from a mature hog that must have gone over 250lbs (it was a booger to load on the wheeler alone) that I shot with a 3-9 Leupold reticles’ intersection between the thick & thin crosshairs. I think the range was over 400 but didn’t have a rangefinder yet. I was astounded that I’d made such a lucky shot - I still feel that way not knowing the range or exactly what the subtension was on that scope. Still have a bunch of those 210’s but now load them in my more sedate 338-06.

Traded that hog to the Chinese restaurant for an open tab of $100. Different era.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Traded that hog to the Chinese restaurant for an open tab of $100. Different era.

You probably improved the contents of their meat cooler.

Last edited by mathman; 02/02/22.
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I With that said, the 416WBY MKV ClassicMark I own is likely excessive as well, but I do enjoy it for the occasional use!

To clear out your sinuses?

It was a beautiful rifle at a price I thought very reasonable! I’m glad I actually picked it up and wish I had picked up the others that were available at the time!

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I

Right, Hagel But he moved on to the 378! I wonder which fire-breathing muscle car of the 60’s he drove. He seemed to be enamored of big engines pushed hard.😉

Oddly enough.. I also have 170 count of new 375WBY brass. I don’t recall how I ended up with them, but I’d love to find a MKV to go with that brass!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Yeah he did. Seyfried seemed about the same. Peas in a pod.

When I first bought mine (blame Hagel 100%) I thought I’d found the magic wand of emphatic hog killing machines - and I had. In the open country we ranched, shots way beyond 4-500 were possible but limited by my optics of the day. I can still visualize the 1/2” entry & 4” exit from a mature hog that must have gone over 250lbs (it was a booger to load on the wheeler alone) that I shot with a 3-9 Leupold reticles’ intersection between the thick & thin crosshairs. I think the range was over 400 but didn’t have a rangefinder yet. I was astounded that I’d made such a lucky shot - I still feel that way not knowing the range or exactly what the subtension was on that scope. Still have a bunch of those 210’s but now load them in my more sedate 338-06.

Awesome story. That’s good stuff!

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Oddly enough.. I also have 170 count of new 375WBY brass. I don’t recall how I ended up with them, but I’d love to find a MKV to go with that brass!

Wanna part with em let me know. That’s my next build. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Yeah he did. Seyfried seemed about the same. Peas in a pod.

Awesome story. That’s good stuff!

Mentioning some of these names, most I grew up reading, I always laugh when I think about Craig boddington talkin about 1200 plus pound Roosevelt’s elk of the pnw… 😂😂😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Some of you guys are masochistic.🤣

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,621
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.