Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
How does an old broken down waterfowler wind up with a 16 gauge in the uplands?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
He wises up in his old age..........

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
My only point was and is, if we want more 16 gauges in the field, if we want more 16 gauge ammunition on the store shelves, and we want more variety among those shells we need to look at why people choose magnum 20 gauges and 12 gauges over the 16 gauge.

Regardless of the view, which for the most part I don’t agree with, the average hunter wants more “lead or steel” per shot and the average hunter isn’t buying $15/20 a round ammunition for waterfowl or turkey.

And just because something is ‘made’ doesn’t make it available.

The notion of being added to sporting competition is more a pipe dream that would benefit both parties. Who argues we don’t need more reasons to shoot or own new firearms?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
we may want and like 16ga, but the gun makers and ammo makers did their homework long ago and we have what we have based on that. we keep the 16ga alive, but for the most part, 16ga died and was pushed aside by 12ga and others. it is easily confused by the untrained with other ga's, and it killed a lot of people due to their ignorance. (ever wonder why 20ga hulls are yellow?)
we can try to revive it, but itll pass and fade and companies are not going to dump millions into its documented failure overall.
its like dedicated windows 95 users trying to relaunch win95.
16ga has and is a personal choice based on traditions, handling, and memories of past family members. its used a lot and works fine by many who are sold on its qualities, but to think of pulling corporations back into a sunken ship to revive it is a pipe dream.
we have what we have from them only as a market pacifier. itll never be a mainline cash cow.
enjoy what ya got. it all may be gone sooner than we all think with all this left wing crap we are being fed in the usa.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First you need the guns in 3 inch….which you don’t have, and manufacturers haven’t seen a market for. And in reality never did. Nor has their ever been enough customers requesting same.

Second, the “average” hunter mostly buys the cheapest on the shelf, and TSS while expensive, yet hasn’t reached $15-20 a round. A purposeful exaggeration or a mistake?

Third, most dedicated 16 gauge shooters have found 2.5 and 2.75 inch shells are more than adequate.

Four, in the realm of shotshells loads, more has often proven to be less when it comes to efficiency.

Perhaps instead of here, you should call the makers and see what they think about a 3 inch 16 causing an increase in their profits….along with being the next big thing in shotgun and shell sales. I would be interested in their response.

Can’t remember how many times I’ve read about the “Return of the 16”, yet every time it turns into smoke in the wind. I doubt a 3 inch option would be any different.

And finally reality....There are great 16 gauge loads available from RST and Federal. And if one can't get it done with their 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce offerings in the uplands....the 16 never was a real player in the wetlands..... then practice is what they need...not an extra 1/8 or 1/4 ounce.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Strangely I see more 16ga now than ever before in my lifetime. So, some manufacturers are bucking the trend. I am seeing more 16ga shells on the shelves than 20 too.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That may be because for the last 1.5 years popular brand offerings have been practically non existent with the shortages of 12/20 gauges. Only recently have some of them started to be available again. And now that manufactures are working at full capacity to make 20's and 12's, the 16's will most likely not be a priority.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Strangely I see more 16ga now than ever before in my lifetime. So, some manufacturers are bucking the trend. I am seeing more 16ga shells on the shelves than 20 too.

My experience as well. I've been a 16ga shooter for 40 years now. Feels like the marketplace has never been better for me, in that regard. I have no problems finding ammo that are worse than anyone else's such problems. I'm grateful to Browning for making their limited runs of shotguns, and some of my hunting buddies have climbed on the bandwagon. I admit to being a 20ga guy last season but my days being a 16ga'er aren't over.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve been a fan of the 16 all my life, and yes it has seen a resurgence in the last 10-15 years. I also believe it’s market is likely tapped out already and expect it will stay at its current level of demand.

In guns built on the smaller frame, the 16 is a sweetheart, but we shouldn’t delude ourselves - we shoot it because we like it (about the same argument for the 28 vs. 20 gauge), not for some mystical power or real advantage. For example, in my rack sit 12 gauge Benellis, a Montefeltro and a Super Lite, each with 26” barrels and weights of 6#9 oz and 6# respectively. My favorite 16 just now is a 1959 Winchester Model 12 which weighs 6 1/2# with its 28” barrel. A Belgian Sweet Sixteen in the next stall, with 28” vent rib barrel, tips the scale at 7# 1 oz. The Browning Citori Super Light with steel receiver and 28” tubes next to that one, weighs 6# 15 oz with factory choke tubes.

While the ammo banging around in my hunting vest weighs a tad less than its 12 gauge cousins, the Benelli Super Lite 12 gauge package is a few ounces lighter, and a ballistically superior load to that of the 16. I shoot the guns about the same.

In spite of all that, however, the 16s usually get the nod. I just like ‘em.

Last edited by GF1; 04/02/22.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I sense some hostility in your response which I don’t truly understand. As such I have no intent to continue this line of conversation. Enjoy what you shoot and have a great time doing it.

Last edited by Charlie16ga; 04/02/22. Reason: Correction
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don’t confuse hostility with having a strong differing opinion. One that has been formed from many years using a 16….along with the 20 and recently a 28. Admittedly been surprised what a well directed 7/8 ounce load will do. Enough to know a 3 inch 16 is not necessary for success. Or that it would have a significant advantage.

If you are here to have all replies qualified with a YMMV. You are going to back out frequently.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/22.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue

And finally reality....There are great 16 gauge loads available from RST and Federal. And if one can't get it done with their 1 ounce and 1 1/8 ounce offerings in the uplands....the 16 never was a real player in the wetlands..... then practice is what they need...not an extra 1/8 or 1/4 ounce.

When was the last time you saw anything available from RST?

Me either...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I check their web page regularly and you are correct. Fortunately I still have a half flat of their 16 gauge 5's. 2.5 inch at that. They hammer wild Pheasants...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by battue
I check their web page regularly and you are correct. Fortunately I still have a half flat of their 16 gauge 5's. 2.5 inch at that. They hammer wild Pheasants...

Suddenly I hate you...LOL

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
No need to hate anyone for having the foresight to have an adequate supply of what they need or just want whether it's shotshells or quality alcohol. Bird season is only 4 months of the year the other 8 months you can shoot targets. In those 8 months every single day you can be pulling the lever on a loader as simple as a mec 600jr. Or a more expensive model. The 3" 16 has been here for many years but has been camouflaged from the unknowing and uninterested. Most of us who use them call the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads with nickle plated shot the 3" load of choice and they are only 2 3/4" LONG which works in any 16 you have. It's amazing to me when you won't load your own to have what you want. 2 9/16" chamber? Not really a problem the federal hull and cheddites cut down easily. As far as more 16 ga. shells availible today? No just less competition from fellow buyers for that ammo come bird season. Some see it as a pita but having less competition for what is availible works for me. I don't see reloading ammo for my 16's as a onerous chore. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm a firm believer in not relying on others for stuff. I keep a MEC 600's on 12 and 16ga set up to load 2.5" shells and have a good selection of shot sizes and types on hand and never let things fall below a couple years worth of shooting.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B

I believe the 16 gauge is here to stay, to say the 16 died is unrealistic, with Browning selling the new A5, in several different finishes,(including the new camo models) and Citori, along with Tristar and their 16 semi auto, they are more readily available for the average hunter.

Last edited by bonecrusher338; 04/03/22.

Forget the past the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think the 16 is going anywhere soon. I don't see it being more popular but, it will stick around I think. If the ammo companies would load a few more load options, that be great. But, I am trying to get into shot shell loading.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bobski
we may want and like 16ga, but the gun makers and ammo makers did their homework long ago and we have what we have based on that. we keep the 16ga alive, but for the most part, 16ga died and was pushed aside by 12ga and others. it is easily confused by the untrained with other ga's, and it killed a lot of people due to their ignorance. (ever wonder why 20ga hulls are yellow?)
we can try to revive it, but itll pass and fade and companies are not going to dump millions into its documented failure overall.
its like dedicated windows 95 users trying to relaunch win95.
16ga has and is a personal choice based on traditions, handling, and memories of past family members. its used a lot and works fine by many who are sold on its qualities, but to think of pulling corporations back into a sunken ship to revive it is a pipe dream.
we have what we have from them only as a market pacifier. itll never be a mainline cash cow.
enjoy what ya got. it all may be gone sooner than we all think with all this left wing crap we are being fed in the usa.

I've been thinking about this statement a bit and I will agree most every 20 gauge shall I see is yellow but I do not shoot Winchester double A's or Remington SST or the nitros in 20 are they not still red green and gold in that order?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was just again in the SF, SD Scheels, and they had B&P, Fiocchi, Win, and Rem 16’s. And, IIRC, some Kent non-toxic’s also. There were more 20’s and plenty of 28’s (that gauge has increased in popularity also). Of course there are plenty of 12’s. This is six months before their biggest period of demand.

Sioux Falls, in spite of the internet, is still a destination shopping for a lot of SW Minn, NW Iowa, NE Nebraska, and most of SD east of the Missouri. Inventory represents past and presumably current demand, so I’d say there has been a significant uptick in 16 ga use in this region in the past decade.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.