Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
was running my 290 last weekend a bit and it seemed to not use as much bar oil between gas refills. maybe 1/3 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas. it was cold as hell and i noticed the jug i was using said it was summer weight. saw seemed to cut ok but i only ran two tanks. i honestly never noticed there was a different types before but i guess it makes sense, viscosity, etc. i usually do my cutting in warm weather. i went out and bought another jug but couldn't find "winter weight", just all purpose. do any of you change it up in the winter or just dump and go like me?

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the same bar oil year round, didn't know there was a difference but i'm going to keep using what I have until it's gone.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem141r
was running my 290 last weekend a bit and it seemed to not use as much bar oil between gas refills. maybe 1/3 of a tank of oil to a tank of gas. it was cold as hell and i noticed the jug i was using said it was summer weight. saw seemed to cut ok but i only ran two tanks. i honestly never noticed there was a different types before but i guess it makes sense, viscosity, etc. i usually do my cutting in warm weather. i went out and bought another jug but couldn't find "winter weight", just all purpose. do any of you change it up in the winter or just dump and go like me?

I've never used a winter weight bar oil, but here in the South I doubt that it gets cold enough to make much difference. I have read of folks adding a little diesel fuel to their chain oil to thin it in really cold weather.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never paid no mind to the weight/viscosity of bar and chain oil.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I've only ever used 1 weight but I doubt I've cut much wood below 25 degrees unless it was something laying across the road.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seems like once the engine warms up it wouldn't be a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Blue in winter orange is summer.
It is -14 today, neither myself, nor my chainsaw want to be outside.
But I do switch oils back and forth with the seasons.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I honestly never knew there was a difference. My saws use a tank of bar oil per tank of gas or very near.

I run Stihl 260, 360 and a 661.

CK
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to thin it in the winter -20 otherwise you could not pour it in

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blue jug is for winter, orange is for summer. If you're not cutting a lot in the winter it shouldn't matter. If you're cutting every day you might want to use the right one just to be on the safe side

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I used winter weight chain oil all year long in both my saws -- a Stihl and a Husqvarna. Use a bit more in the summer, but that is not an issue. My saws were set up to go through one tank of chain oil to two tanks of gas. Bar wear was not excessive.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
ok then i'm not the only one who never knew there was a difference. i guess my concern is that i wasn't using as much oil as i thought i should. maybe its time to take off the bar and do a good cleaning around the oiler port.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
SOMETHING SLIPPERY IS BETTER THAN NUTTIN!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Aww come on guys. What the Koombayah!!!!!

No diatribe full of ISO code particulate reports? So disappointed.

I have seen 100 page violent arguments started by something like " Gee, I prefer Pennzoil".

Must be the weather.

Last edited by kenjs1; 02/02/22.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Aww come on guys. What the Koombayah!!!!!

No diatribe full of ISO code particulate reports? So disappointed.

I have seen 100 page violent arguments started by something like " Gee, I prefer Pennzoil".

Must be the weather.

i was actually expecting that. lol

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Its a marketing gimmick. Have you never warmed your hands on the muffler of a saw? I have, lots of times. Guess where the oil tank is? Right under the muffler! Turn your pump up a little if it concerns you.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Its a marketing gimmick. Have you never warmed your hands on the muffler of a saw? I have, lots of times. Guess where the oil tank is? Right under the muffler! Turn your pump up a little if it concerns you.

how do you do that? can you do it on a ms290?

My diploma is a DD214
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Former forester here. I've never changed the weights based on summer or winter. I know some to add a teaspoon of gas to the oil in winter. When I changed my own engine oil, I'd save it and run it through the chain saws. It's a little thinner than regular bar oil, so it worked great in the winter, more frequent fill ups on the summer. Someone is going to say this is a horrible idea and Stihl bar oil is the only option. Ok, you run only Stihl oil then.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntaholic

Just to play devil's advocate what if the viscosity difference is for when your pour it in? Honey vs 5w20 type of thing due to the extreme cold. I don't recall one costing more than the other when I bought them. Used to go through a couple cases of each a year so I ran blue in the winter and orange in the summer. I don't believe it is a gimmick per se.
I've never heard of anyone burning up a bar because of using summer oil in the winter or vice versa fwiw. Just something to think about since it was brought up. I probably won't contemplate it much more beyond that, it's not worth it

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I cut bar oil with some used motor oil in cold weather. Otherwise right out the jug.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 22250rem, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,236
Posts18,466,723
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.