Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
some time back i started a thread about my knee problems and getting the euflexxa shots. well they didn't do schit so i went in today and had knee surgery. they cut off a flap of my meniscus that was causing my pain. sitting here on the couch in a groggy daze. knee twinges, headache and my throat feels like linda lovelace after filming deep throat. i just hope they cleaned whatever they shoved down my throat first. can barely talk. didn't even score any pain meds so there goes my party.

My diploma is a DD214
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had the same knee surgery in April. Got enough Vicodin to last five days. Fortunately I didn't need them. I walked out of the surgery center using a walker.

Good luck with your rehab,it's relatively painless.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
did it help? surgery that is. not the vikes. they always help.

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rem141r
did it help? surgery that is. not the vikes. they always help.

Definitely. Small tear, cleaned up some arthritis. Surgery on Wednesday, started Pt the following week.

Took Alleve for a few days just to keep the inflammation down.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had tears in a remote area somehow, and the doc said the damage was pretty bad. Anyway I was surprised that I needed a lot of rehab. Again I guess mine was pretty bad, but rehab initially seemed to say rehab would be pretty fast, but it took weeks. That was 15 years ago, so I dont remember exact times.
Euflexa is usually for worn out meniscus or arthritis. It would be effective on a tear.
Did the toatal knee replacement near Easter, and that was the best solution. Still a little stiff and slight discomfort, but way better than 20 years of dicking around.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had major rotator cuff reconstruction a couple of years ago and the damn sore throat from being intubated was, by far, the worst part of it. They must have soaked the tube in battery acid before they stuck it down my esophagus.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I am surprised the ortho doc even tried Euflexxa. My doc told me all the injections of those type are for arthritis, bone on bone . It does nothing for torn tendons and such. They are lubricants. I have been getting Monovisc for two years. They do not help the twisting, but it cuts my other pains about 80%. Glad your surgery ended up successful.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/02/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I retired in 2013 my left knee was really troubling me. I had it scoped and walked into PT 2 weeks later. The PT wanted to know what I wanted to do. It was like I never had a knee injury. My right knee started acting up in 2016. Went through the Synvisc routine and finally had it scoped in 2017 Thinking I would get the same result as my left knee but it just seemed to get worse. I ended up having it replaced in 2018. I guess you can never really tell what the hell your body is going to do to you until AFTER you have surgery.

Last edited by smarquez; 02/03/22.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smarquez
I guess you can never really tell what the hell your body is going to do to you until AFTER you have surgery.

That is where I am at right now. Different ortho docs want to put in two knees,a hip, and another back surgery.I'm78 ,expect to live another 10-12 years. It doesn't seem like the risk is worth it

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/03/22.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I am surprised the ortho doc even tried Euflexxa. My doc told me all the injections of those type are for arthritis, bone on bone . It does nothing for torn tendons and such. They are lubricants. I have been getting Monovisc for two years. They do not help the twisting, but it cuts my other pains about 80%. Glad your surgery ended up successful.

i got a 2nd opinion and he is the one that fixed it. first doc was a young dipschit who told me that at my age (59) they couldn't do anything. wouldn't do an mri until pt and euflexxa. got a 2nd doc and the first thing he said was "lets do an mri" and he is the one who went in yesterday. when i told him about the first doc, he kind of blew it off as "protocol, blah, blah", without blaming the other guy. the other thing was right in the middle of my problems last summer, the first doc was so booked i couldn't do anything for months. part of the problem is i wasn't insistent enough. lesson learned.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
feels pretty good today though. but still have a headache and linda lovelace throat

My diploma is a DD214
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
they cut off a flap of my meniscus that was causing my pain.

Did you ask about repair instead of removal?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JOG

ya he said it wasn't an option

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I guess you can never really tell what the hell your body is going to do to you until AFTER you have surgery.

That is where I am at right now. Different ortho docs want to put in two knees,a hip, and another back surgery.I'm78 ,expect to live another 10-12 years. It doesn't seem like the risk is worth it

4 years on my knee now and it's the least of my worries. I have crashed my dirt bike HARD but never had knee issues from it.
If you are active and fit for your age I'd do it. If you were a fat, wheezing lump I don't think your docs would suggest it. I'd take that as a compliment.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JOG

My sister is going through this now and her doc said they don't repair anymore. They just go in and trim or clean up. It's less invasive and quicker recovery time.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

My sister is going through this now and her doc said they don't repair anymore. They just go in and trim or clean up. It's less invasive and quicker recovery time.

Find a new doctor. No doubt there are times when a repair isn't an option, but the meniscus doesn't grow back. Lots of the 'bone on bone' complaints are because a surgeon made it that way - the meniscus didn't wear out, it was removed. A person has to stack the 'quicker recovery' angle against a future knee replacement.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by JOG

thats what he said to me. he said repairing it was not going to work at my age and also that there is enough left that it should not affect me.

My diploma is a DD214
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The meniscus in an adult is avascular. What that means is it doesn't have a blood supply to bring oxygen and nutrients for it to heal so a torn meniscus that is symptomatic needs arthroscopic debridement in order to become pain free.

As far as meds like Euflexxa, supartz, etc- they are given for arthritis and do not work on meniscus tears

At one with the gun.

R
rem141r Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
mine feels pretty good today. still a little twingey but not bad. but with this ice/snow crap we got going on i will be homebound for the foreseeable future. can't even get out to my shop. don't want to chance it.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went through this in 2016, didn't help at all, replacement in 2017 and in 2020 it started to feel better. 6 months then a year after the replacement I had wish I never had it done as it felt worse but slowly it did get better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.