S
Lee24?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All of my hunting rifles are wood stocked/blued.
Never had any problems with rust, cracking,warping, checking or gouges and dings and they have all spent alot of time in the forest and mountains and some of the wettest puckerbrush in the west.
I don't use any of them as walking support crossing streams, none of them get thrown under the pickup truck seat..:).. and don't mind taking care of them after a hard day afield.

They all still are accurate and look pretty decent as well..some of them are twice as old as Steelhead..:)

All of my hunting bows are wood also, some self bows of yew or osage and some laminated with glass back and face..and they have served well hunting also.

Most of my affinity for wood is linked to a love of working with and a general appreciation for wood..GOOD wood..properly selected, cut, seasoned, shaped and finished.

I still enjoy cast iron cookware,wool clothing, leather footwear and old trucks with carburetors too..:) Jim

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
"Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun" ... laugh

"Death ain't nothin' but a speckled pony, that ain't never been rode"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Just curious...
You mean, people hunt with synthetics??? Perish the thought!! laugh

Starting my 6th decade in hunting; all wood stocks.. No problems whatsoever.. I do not own a synthetic-stocked rifle..

Last edited by Redneck; 09/22/07.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have both, but much prefer to hunt with wood, as long as glass bedded walnut counts as wood.
It's the same reason I use ctgs like 6.5x54, 300Sav, 38-55, etc. I'm in it for the enjoyment I get, not to see how many critters I can kill, or to fill some record book shopping list, or to pit my skills against mother nature in some kind of quasi-survival scenario.
Though, I admit, I've been seduced by all 3 of those in the past.

But now, if I can't enjoy a nicely finished piece of walnut and polished blue steel in reasonably good weather, I'd rather do somethin' else.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
IC B2

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I did the SS/plastic thing for a couple of years then moved back to wood. I just like the looks and feel of it. I bought a Remington Ti this year and like it. I'll use it on rainy days I'm sure. Down here in Mississippi we have the luxury of nice weather most of the time. If I lived some place where the weather was more harsh I might have a different opinion about it.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 09/22/07. Reason: because I left out a very important word!

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In my safe are various 22s, a pre-64 Model 94, one original pre-64 Model 70, my 36 year-old Remington 700 ADL 30-06, my great uncle's pre-war Model 99 Savage, and various handguns that are wood stocked.

All of my serious hunting rifle wear McMillan stocks, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Fundamentally, I'm done with wood, and I'm unmoved by the cosmetic and "blessed tradition" rewards that are associated with fine walnut. Actually, I prefer the business-like look of a quality synthetic stock to wood, which probably sounds crazy to a lot of guys, but that's how I feel about it.

For me, wood's been a pain in the neck in a number of different ways, and I just don't have it in me to deal with the downside of "traditional" oil-finished walnut stocks ever again.

I've used synthetic stocks extensively in every possible hunting enviroment (from Alaska to east African) without a single glitch, and the more I hunt with them, the more I'm convinced that quality synthetic stocks are totally superior to wood in every way............

AD

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
For me, I hunt for enjoyment. It is not a job so I use what makes me happy. Most fo the time means a wooden stock( preferably attached to long familiar and trusted freind). I have used synthetics and laminates and they performed very well, just not to my taste for the most part. Then again my hunting is not usually done in very harsh conditions.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Big difference between 'hunting' out of a stand on your back 40 and well, you get the idea...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This cloud pee'd on me for hours.The rifle didn't seen to mind. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No chair on this 'hunt' and I wish I had pics of how [bleep] up the stock/blueing was after this hunt.

[Linked Image]

Get dropped off for a week of hunting from a tent in a rain forest next to the ocean and come chat.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Remington M700ML (muzzlestuffer) is synthetic and stainless.
Remington 870 is synthetic.
Ruger M77 MKII .300 Win Mag is synthetic (canoe paddle).

All the others are wood.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No salt in the air here.I've seen salt pitted rifles from the island.Nasty stuff that salt.As for that chair.If you knew how far I packed it in you'd say next time use a stump.Dropped alot of stuff sitting in my chair.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You silly Canadians................grin

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i only stand hunt with wood stocks! BBWWAAHHAAHHAA..........

WOOFER

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
BBWWAAHHAAHHAA..........

Those always make me laugh, don't know why.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
You silly Canadians................grin

Silly but gotta be comfortable.....hehe

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I have a mix of stuff.

Walnut/Blue
Laminate/SS
Syn/Blue.

I prefer wood/blue unless its raining/snowing then its laminate or syn.

RH

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have not been able to talk myself into a tupperware stock and try as I have, they just don't have any appeal to them. I treat my rifles with great care while I using them and they don't get abused. Guess the age group also has a large factor in this discussion. I would think that most of the plastic is being used by the younger group.

Dick
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Blaine
I think fiberglass imparts more "hydrostatic shock energy" than does wood or carbon fiber, though a laminate is a close second to fiberglass. I think this is because when a fiberglass stock hits an animal, the specific molecular structure of the fiberglass sets up certain harmonic resonations within the animal that mirror the animal's actual brain wave frequencies, thus causing far greater hydrostaic shock energy than when the same animal is struck with a wooden stock.

So in my mind, if you are going to hunt with a stock, fiberglass just plain kills better. And given how great and noble these creatures are, it would be unethical and immoral no not use a true "premium" stock...........

Crackin' me up!!!!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,287 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.