24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have one of these? Looks like a slick rifle for deer in the woods. Already have a couple of ARs in the caliber so brass , dies and bullets are already here.

BP-B6

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You been under a rock?😛

Those are pretty popular with folks here, including me. No deer taken as yet with mine, but it’s a pleasure to own and shoot, and a snap to load for.

Not long ago…..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...endleton-mini-stock-arrived#Post16907784

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
You been under a rock?😛

Those are pretty popular with folks here, including me. No deer taken as yet with mine, but it’s a pleasure to own and shoot, and a snap to load for.

Not long ago…..

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...endleton-mini-stock-arrived#Post16907784

Apparently I have been under a rock. From your location it looks like we might be close. Looks like a good little deer rifle for around here

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jefferson County, WV

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I got one last fall, and have been playing with it a lot since then. I love it from the fact that there is practically no recoil, and it's a good mid-range cartridge. I've shot mine out to 300 yards on steel, and it's an accurate rifle. The drawbacks are that the magazine setup sucks big time, the trigger is a two stage one that can be hit and miss, and the Hogue stock is unnecessarily heavy and clunky feeling. There are solutions to the drawbacks.............you can modify the mag setup or replace it with a better one, you can adjust the trigger or replace it, and you can replace the stock. However, in my way of thinking, you can soon have a lot of money tied up in what was a rather inexpensive gun to begin with. With all that being said, they are nice little rifles, and if one is wanting a low recoil cartridge for a young shooter, the Grendel is a great choice.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Jefferson County, WV

Ok a little farther west than me. We have a camp in Randolph county Wva though.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I got one last fall, and have been playing with it a lot since then. I love it from the fact that there is practically no recoil, and it's a good mid-range cartridge. I've shot mine out to 300 yards on steel, and it's an accurate rifle. The drawbacks are that the magazine setup sucks big time, the trigger is a two stage one that can be hit and miss, and the Hogue stock is unnecessarily heavy and clunky feeling. There are solutions to the drawbacks.............you can modify the mag setup or replace it with a better one, you can adjust the trigger or replace it, and you can replace the stock. However, in my way of thinking, you can soon have a lot of money tied up in what was a rather inexpensive gun to begin with. With all that being said, they are nice little rifles, and if one is wanting a low recoil cartridge for a young shooter, the Grendel is a great choice.

Thanks for the reply

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Th trigger on mine is fine. I put a hinged floorplate and stock from Wayne York on it and brought the weight down with a Trijicon 1-6 to 6lbs 9oz. It’s one of my favorites. Have about a grand in it, and don’t regret a dime of it. A new Carbon Stalker is a touch lighter, but starts out as much as I spent and still leaves you with the magazine issue.

Mine came with two stocks, so I had MtBoomer trim and paint the adult one and gave it to my grandson for his 7.62, then had Wayne send him a floorplate too. He’s still small, so is still using the youth stock his rifle came with for now. Three bucks have fallen to that 7.62, including a 200 pounder.

The Minis are inexpensive, but built traditionally, with forged actions and true one-piece bolts that take down with a twist of the wrist. More and more folks are catching on to their potential. If I ever go to the Midwest for deer, I can pick one up in .350 or .450 for $500 and be all set.

Last edited by Pappy348; 02/01/22.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

Th trigger on mine is fine. I put a hinged floorplate and stock from Wayne York on it and brought the weight down with a Trijicon 1-6 to 6lbs 9oz. It’s one of my favorites. Have about a grand in it, and don’t regret a dime of it. A new Carbon Stalker is a touch lighter, but starts out as much as I spent and still leaves you with the magazine issue.

Mine came with two stocks, so I had MtBoomer trim and paint the adult one and gave it to my grandson for his 7.62, then had Wayne send him a floorplate too. He’s still small, so is still using the youth stock his rifle came with for now. Three bucks have fallen to that 7.62, including a 200 pounder.

The Minis are inexpensive, but built traditionally, with forged actions and true one-piece bolts that take down with a twist of the wrist. More and more folks are catching on to their potential. If I ever go to the Midwest for deer, I can pick one up in .350 or .450 for $500 and be all set.

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like i need a new rifle

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one as a barreled action for a nice compact rifle to have around. It's gone through a few face lifts or actually options. DIP bottom metal as I like the magazine for going from coyote stand to stand all day.

Latest look, it's heading for a javelina hunt in a couple weeks Meopta 1.5-6x40 with German #1
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

In a Boyds stock for paper and colony varmints, pictured with the hunting scope but wears a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 for this workk.

Getting the job done, it is a little heavy handed for saving pelts but is handy on the bike

The two-stage trigger is pretty nice and the mag bob is easy, I keep a full-size mag in my pack.

Last edited by erich; 02/01/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only reason I don’t have one in my safe is the two-stage trigger. I just hate them. Is anyone making a decent replacement single stage yet?

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
The only reason I don’t have one in my safe is the two-stage trigger. I just hate them. Is anyone making a decent replacement single stage yet?

Just some quick looking around last night at work it looks like Timney makes one. Not sure about anyone else

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Troutnut
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR

Just some quick looking around last night at work it looks like Timney makes one. Not sure about anyone else

I know that they make one for the 1500. I just wasn't sure if the 1500 and the Mini use the same trigger.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I also dislike two stage triggers, even the ones on AR's. I do 99% of my deer and varmint hunting, plus target shooting, with bolt action rifles. They all have single stage triggers except for two Howas. The trigger on the Mini was halfway decent out of the box, and I adjusted it slightly to an even better pull. The trigger on the other Howa required taking the trigger apart and cutting the spring down, and now it's also pretty decent............as long as you like a two stage trigger.

I'm on the fence about whether or not I want to replace them. If I decided to part with them, a trigger replacement won't make them bring anymore, so there's that to consider. I'm not certain why Howa would make such a good rifle, then handicap it with such a crappy stock and a two stage trigger.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got two Howa Minis in 223....

but my Grendal is a Ruger American...

I admit, I like my Grendal being a Ruger American Predator, over the Howa Mini...

Ruger did just a little better of a job on the Grendal than the Howa Mini I looked at before putting my money on the counter...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Seafire

I admit, I like my Grendal being a Ruger American Predator, over the Howa Mini...

Ruger did just a little better of a job on the Grendal than the Howa Mini I looked at before putting my money on the counter...

Agree .... Ruger uses standard AR Grendel mags. Very slight adjustment on the trigger in a spring change make it a very nice 2 lb trigger. That in itself is enough for me I had a mini in a 223. I also have the same Ruger model in a 223 and the 6.5 Grendel AR mag

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by Seafire

Agree .... Ruger uses standard AR Grendel mags. Very slight adjustment on the trigger in a spring change make it a very nice 2 lb trigger. That in itself is enough for me I had a mini in a 223. I also have the same Ruger model in a 223 and the 6.5 Grendel AR mag

I have also found after looking around quite a bit....these polymer mags for 223s, the Grendal brass works just fine with them...

Ruger told me that only their metal magazine would work, labeled 223... they were wrong...

I've only purchased about 5 of the polymer 10 round mags at Sportsman's locally. They are working just fine...

just passing it on....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,739 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.