Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'll toss a vote in for a nice SBH in 45 Colt. I know I enjoy my Vaquero and I feel loaded properly it can take care of most things here in North America. Of course then my aim comes into play.

BP-B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

For field use the 45 Colt in a strong revolver can go from mice to Buffalo 🐃 and be adequate with both

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For what you want, I pick a 45 Colt N-frame 25 , this one a 25-13 Mountain Gun. Round butt 4 in barrel it packs nice. 9.7 grains of Longshot and a 45-270 SAA cast bullet does 940 fps out of this 4 in barrel. It will work for all your stated purposes.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mannyspd1; 02/03/22.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
That is a great looking setup. I think I need to keep an eye out for. ne of the 25's I didn't realize there were really any other double action 45colt besides the Ruger.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
It's beyond common, it's the norm.

Ruger also does not use a single cutter to cut all 6.
They use a gang cutter, and do not put any care into
matching them, just that all are in "spec". So its normal to
have different size throats.

That explains why the old super black hawks cylinder was not uniform. My Colt is.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by viking
Glock 41.

New revolvers are scarce these days.

Yep an ugly square gun is exactly what the OP
ordered.

But this is the campfire, no one reads.
And they want everyone to want what they like.
Not answer the question.

I have a 4 5/8 Blackhawk 45Colt. Nice gun, like it shoot it well.
But it's a brick, and needs care to keep it nice.
For hunting it's easy.
For just bumming or working, it takes effort.

A Glock, is light and easy.
Of course it could be an M&P, or XD.
Whichever floats the boat.

Soon someone will recommend a Stihl.

In a few pages, it will need Alpha Glass!

Well said.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I loaded up some 250 SW hardcast in my old AMT Hardballer years ago and put a stronger recoil spring and frame buffers in it. Worked OK and all but no doubt was hard on the gun. Decided that if I wanted that kind of load, just carry the smith 29 or Ruger SBH with 5" barrel in 44 mag.
If your main use is really just a walking around gun that "can" be used to take small game and a nice shot on deer, then your 45acp and 200 Grain SW is a good choice. The Glock 10's bring the heat up considerably I am told and they are made by the factory to shoot that warm ammo. Likely a good choice as well.
If your walking around is really in search of a deer or bear, hunting, then take the 45 LC revolver of choice along in a well fitted holster.
You noted you had a compact 45acp for CCW and if you shoot it well your already set for walkin' around.
If you going to buy something bigger framed, buy a 45 LC which really has no lid on top performance should you want to go that way. 45LC 250 at 900 fps is a Kitten, 45LC 360 WFN at 1300 is a Tiger.

Last edited by Fury01; 02/04/22.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
45 ACP +P is about where I’d want to be for hogs and bear, especially if Mackay loaded the ammo. A steady diet of those loads can beat up some semi-auto pistols but the HK USP is not one of them. You can also set up the trigger and safety in a variety of different ways, and fast 12-shot reloads (or an easy switch to self-defense ammo for the drive to and from home) also makes a lot of sense.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Originally Posted by viking
Glock 41.

New revolvers are scarce these days.

Yep an ugly square gun is exactly what the OP
ordered.

But this is the campfire, no one reads.
And they want everyone to want what they like.
Not answer the question.

I have a 4 5/8 Blackhawk 45Colt. Nice gun, like it shoot it well.
But it's a brick, and needs care to keep it nice.
For hunting it's easy.
For just bumming or working, it takes effort.

A Glock, is light and easy.
Of course it could be an M&P, or XD.
Whichever floats the boat.

Soon someone will recommend a Stihl.

In a few pages, it will need Alpha Glass!

Well said.

Yes, very well said. Earlier I suggested a Glock 20. My rational is thus: The OP seemed to indicate he didn't want to spend a bunch of money, or at least the price of an N-frame Smith. The Glock is cheap. When we had the farm, if I were out doing field work or otherwise getting dirty, it was the Glock 20 I carried. The dirt and dust have very little access to the inside of a Glock. A revolver, if carried in any kind of accessible way, has any number of infiltration routes for dust and dirt. Raw power, the revolver wins out, but a 10mm with good 180 or 200 grain loads will have plenty of smack out to 100 yards or so. The Glock holds 16 +1. If you do burn them all up and feel compelled to reload, it's not a big trick. I've shot enough .40 S&W through my Glock, trouble free, with the stock 10mm barrel, recoil spring and magazines that I feel assured I have an alternate ammo choice if needed/desired. Finally, the Glock is a real low-maintenance item. Don't get me wrong, for woods-walking and certainly for handgun hunting purposes, I much prefer one of my .41 or .44 N-frames. For a gun "just to have" when things are dirty or in a hostile environment, I want the Glock. Where there is a chance of losing the gun over the side of a boat, especially in activities like gator hunting, it's the industrial grade Glock over one of my Smiths by a long shot.

I've always been a big Stihl fan, but have to admit I've come to prefer Husqvarnas in recent years.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I had these two at the range yesterday. A Ruger flattop convertible with the 45 colt cylinder in it and my M25-5.
My pick would be the Ruger with either cylinder. The .45acp is a little more accurate than the .45 colt, but not enough to complain about. With my reloads they hit the same POI at 15 yards the .45acp kicks less.
The M25-5 is pretty accurate and handsome as can be but big and heavy. Mine is a 6” barrel, a 4” might be better.
Could use my 1911 but I reload and brass all over the woods is not what I want. There are lots of targets of opportunity and do not want to pick up brass.
Find a friend and shoot his guns if possible, then make your choice.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I missed the OP saying he looked at GB and the N frames were priced too high. Sorry about that.

Several have mentioned the Glock 20. Okie John added the advantage to changing out mags from woods carry loads to the ride home in a semi auto pistol.

I like my G20. Ive carried various Glocks for 25 yrs or so. It can be loaded up or down, and is reliable. A mag for woods and a mag for town is exactly how mine is set up, deep penetrators and bonded hollowpoints. I added a KKM 6 in barrel and got increased velocity to over 100 fps depending on the load, without pressure issues. My Glock isnt as accurate as my Smith 45 Colt, or I should say, it's not as accurate with me shooting it. In a Simply Rugged Chest harness it carries well and is easily carried while wearing a backpack or under a jacket.
It would also be a good choice and within budget.

Regards,
Manny

Last edited by mannyspd1; 02/04/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve had good luck with 200SWCs out of the 45 auto on pigs and a bunch of smaller varmints. I carry a 1911 or a 5” S&W 625. Those stubby little flat nose wadcutters penetrate very well, in fact I’ve never caught one inside a pig. They’ll bust a shoulder or shoulders no problem. Easy to shoot too as they’re pretty low recoil. It’s a pretty great combo for kicking around the weeds.

REALLY good to know. I just got a holster that holds a second mag and might start carrying my 1911 on the lease during winter- even though I conisder it my pretty boy. .
Summer I carry my 40- it seems to just anger pigs BUT I keep a mag full of shot for snakes in case....

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
Where there is a chance of losing the gun over the side of a boat, especially in activities like gator hunting, it's the industrial grade Glock over one of my Smiths by a long shot.

I agree, the Glock makes a much better boat anchor.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kenster99
My field gun, chopped up,well worn Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 LC. Love it!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After looking at the whole thread, that one would be my pick of the litter. smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A

[Linked Image][/quote]

These are two perfect examples of the kind of revolvers I would prefer to have. The S&W is simply perfect. So far as price, I'm unwilling to pay S&W prices these days. The Bisley occasionally shows up at a reasonable price. The previously mentioned Redhawk is NIB at a shop and may be an alternative.

I"ve got a ton of components for both cartridges so factory ammo cost is not a concern. Unfortunately, a 1911 or full size M&P is more readily found and in the price I willing to pay and would probably do just a well in this role. I've mentioned price numerous times. I'm not crying poverty, I just don't want to spend that kind of money.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by kenster99
My field gun, chopped up,well worn Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in 45 LC. Love it!!
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the Bisley that I tried to include in the post with the S&W.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
This one has killed quite a few black bears !

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I am at heart an S&W revolver man, thus the post about the M25. However, as a general field gun and hunting gun, your chopped down Bisley is exactly how Ruger should build it. It needs no more fluff, just a beautiful working .45, capable of whatever a .45 Colt revolver should be used for.

I'm jealous of both guns.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The old midway USA Load MAP data has some pretty snorty 45 ACP data that stay’s in the 21K PSI range. Mainly using HS-6, 250 grain bullets in the 900 FPS range.

Last edited by chesterwy; 02/04/22.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by cra1948
Where there is a chance of losing the gun over the side of a boat, especially in activities like gator hunting, it's the industrial grade Glock over one of my Smiths by a long shot.

I agree, the Glock makes a much better boat anchor.

Probably the N-frame Smith is my favorite handgun. Lord knows, I've got enough of them, mainly .44's and .41's, but some others too. I like 1911's and have at least my fair share of them, as well as some other revolvers and auto pistols of various kinds. I have only a few Glocks, each obtained for a particular purpose. They are ugly. They have no charm or beauty. They have no history, to speak of. They are not American guns. All that said, for their intended purpose, there is nothing better. Yeah, handgun aficionados will argue till the cows cows come home about the advantages of this pistol or that, none of which makes a whit of difference when you want a solid, reliable, no-nonsense handgun that will work every time and, if you're going into sketchy situations where your equipment might get lost, stolen, broken or polluted, can not be beat. You can lose one over the side of a boat, go home and not lose one minute's sleep over it. When you have to use your Glock, you don't have to be distracted with issues like, "What if I get it dirty? What if I mark it up and reduce the value? " I don't know about boat anchor, but Gaston Glock sure came up with a better mousetrap.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.