Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WITUfan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
If you were in the market for a new crossbow, with a maximum budget of $1,000 for the setup, what would you get?

Also, are there any models below that price point that are huge bargains?

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Titan M1, Wicked Ridge Fury 410, Wicked Ridge NXT400

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Excalibur Micro takedown - there’s several in the series now.

My favorite has been the 360, they shoot flat, kill deer and elk, while being easy to do you own maintenance on - when needed.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AH64guy

My favorite has been the 360, they shoot flat, kill deer and elk, while being easy to do you own maintenance on - when needed.

X1 Very nice bow for the money

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would spend a few bucks more and get a Ravin ,you won`t be sorry. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 02/05/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Looks like they have a 380 now. Pretty slick. Gonna stick with my Matrix Bulldog for now, but might lighten up the sights.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Looks like they have a 380 now. Pretty slick. Gonna stick with my Matrix Bulldog for now, but might lighten up the sights.

There’s a couple “newer” models in the Micro line - but having handled them - I don’t see an advantage to jump up.

I did not like the “Assassin 400” extending stock - it feels weak (aka cheap) on the friction lock for the locking the stock down. The shop floor demo model was worn out after a few weeks.

The biggest feature I really like is the takedown, and the carry case - no more banging the limbs in and out of the truck. And, it’s a lot easier to store in the house without the limbs on the barrel.

Of the three I’ve handled, shot and, have - or were talked out of - all three have been “on” for zero after multiple takedowns. I know we’ve taken 3-4 deer, and one elk over the past three seasons, and I’m probably light on the deer count.

Last edited by AH64guy; 02/05/22.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought an AXE 340. Which is now the Mag 340 after name use lawsuit. Great crossbow. Pretty much bullet proof and great warranty from the company. I did upgrade the scope to the red or green illuminated crosshairs
I preferred a longer draw and wider limbs so I recently picked up an older Matrix.
I have the AXE listed on another forum only because I bought the Matrix.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a kodabow with a micro 360 front. Love it

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm firmly in the Excalibur recurve camp. I have an older wide limb Exocet, an Axe 340 and an Assassin 360. I like my Axe 340 so much the old Exocet is relegated as a spare/loaner, and I haven't even taken the Assassin out of the box. I also have had a couple Tenpoints, good bows but I'm drawn to the simplicity of the recurve Excals. As mentioned, maintenance or repairs can be done in the field if needed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm quite happy with my Centerpoint sniper 370. I think I paid 215.00 for it 3 years ago and am pretty sure you can still get them for 300.00 or thereabouts. I've shot it a bunch with no problems and it's accurate enough that you could literally head shoot squirrels from 40 yards with it. It has a machined aluminum chassis/track, adjustable AR-15 type stock and is fast, accurate and relatively quiet. I finally got out hunting with it this past fall and killed a buck and a doe with it and it worked as good as any crossbow could have. It isn't necessary to spend 1000.00 on a crossbow for deer hunting. There are plenty of fast, accurate, good shooting crossbows on the market for under 600.00 that perform great. Most of them come with crappy scopes so be prepared to spend a couple hundred more for an upgrade there. I ended up putting a Vortex Crossfire II speed adjustable crossbow scope on mine and it works as advertised.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dog’s ice cream man picked up a complete rig at a pawnshop for about $150 and proceeded to kill the first deer he saw, so I gotta agree. Also agree that the scopes are often crap, even on spendier packages. I ended up with a re-furbed Nikon 3x that’s working well, but have used a whole slew of optics on mine. If you limit your shots to 40 yards or so, all those multi-point reticles aren’t really necessary either, just zero at 30 and hold up a bit on longer shots.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another vote for excalibur recurves. I own a matrix 380( no longer in production) and used to own the original exomag. A lot simpler than compound crossbows. Whatever you get, check crossbow nation and other such major forums first to see what warranty or quality issues may exist. The fact is the crossbow technology race went insane about 5 years ago with companies rushing new models onto the market so quickly, its constant warranty carousel-customers are being used basically as beta testers. Ive seen models that require new owners melt something on them with hairdriers before they work properly. Find a model that has been around at least 3 years, gets decent reports and needs minimal tinkering to keep in order. Another reason excalibur gets the nod. They have become susceptible to the rapid model turnover/warranty carousel to a degree as well, but still better than most brands.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
My dog’s ice cream man picked up a complete rig at a pawnshop for about $150 and proceeded to kill the first deer he saw, so I gotta agree. Also agree that the scopes are often crap, even on spendier packages. I ended up with a re-furbed Nikon 3x that’s working well, but have used a whole slew of optics on mine. If you limit your shots to 40 yards or so, all those multi-point reticles aren’t really necessary either, just zero at 30 and hold up a bit on longer shots.
Yeah I stuck a Weaver K-2.5 on mine for awhile before I bought the Vortex and it worked fine to 40 yards like you said. The Centerpoint scope that came with the crossbow was terrible optically. I didn't think they made scopes that crappy except for the little 3/4" tubed toy scopes that come with kids BB guns anymore. Anyway the K- 2.5 was needed elsewhere so ended up with the Vortex and I'm quite happy with it.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have an Excalibur package I bought a few years ago. One of the.limbs exploded on the 6th shot the first day I got it. They replaced it in less than 2 weeks. Good now. They shoot hard. The bow is accurate. But it is loud.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Gents,
When I first went to a crossbow, I did some research then purchased an Excaliber Exocet. Way more than you need for W T Deer. Shot a black bear in the 250+ area, no issues. Then we bought some boxes to hunt from and the windows were too narrow for the recurve, so I bought a Ten Point. The Excaliber was a great bow I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but the Ten point is also good. Both are very accurate.
Soup

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We have 2 complete crossbow combos (bow, multi point illuminated scope, bolts, rail lube & cocking devices).

1st was a Horton reverse limb compound, 2nd an excalibur grizzly recurve.

Both have been used on multiple WT & black bear.

Horton reverse limb is more comfortable to carry & shoot - great balance.

Excalibur very front heavy & cumbersome to carry far.

Typically, Deb gets the Horton & me the Excalibur.

We don't have more than $700 in either package.

Horton & a pretty lady, grocery shopping;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Results with the Excalibur;

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are a ton of options including many good ones already mentioned. I'd stop by a few archery shops and look a few models over and take a few test fires if they allow it. You can always search the web for reviews after you find a couple models that interest you.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had the 355 xcal for the last 12 yrs. other than me not tighting the crank cocker up and it smashing the back of the scope up I have put 2 strings on it .at our hunting camp there is 9 or 10 xcals. that have the same results . and we shoot them a lot .any one with 300 fps or more will kill a deer at 50 yards

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 44mc
I have had the 355 xcal for the last 12 yrs. other than me not tighting the crank cocker up and it smashing the back of the scope up I have put 2 strings on it .at our hunting camp there is 9 or 10 xcals. that have the same results . and we shoot them a lot .any one with 300 fps or more will kill a deer at 50 yards

I feel much better now. Did the same thing with a Leupold 2.5 on mine. Thought sure they’d just replace it, but by golly they fixed it. Now it’s safely sitting on a 98, out of harm’s way.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I would not buy anything but a reverse draw crossbow. Less stress on the limbs.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
It’s probably a touch over $1,000, but I’d definitely say a Scorpyd.
They have the best trigger by far IMO. You can change your strings and cables without a press. All titanium parts. You can probably pick a used one up in the classifieds on one of the crossbow forums. That’s where I bought my second one.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Hickory Creek vertical….because I can’t stand regular crossbows or spending $2500-$3500 for one that decocks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought an Excalibur for late season two years ago. Simple and work well. Reasonable price. Several models available used. Their warranty is the best.
The recurve models seem to suffer less issues.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i like my excaliber x-bow its very quiet , but my Ravin R-10 loads and unloads much easier and shoots faster too . i would spend a couple hundred more and get a Ravin x-bow

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have only ever used Excalibur myself before last fall

Excaliburs are pretty maintenance and worry free. You can easily fix most issues that should arise. Plus lots of models in your price range. But I definitely prefer the micro series

The buck I killed last fall was with my buddies ravin r9. 18 yards. So could have easily killed with any bow.

I would go ravin if you wanna shoot further than 40 yards. Otherwise Excalibur

I shot the r9 to 100 yards. 2” group at 100!!!!!
He has killed 4 bucks over 50 yards with it.

My dad has a Great Lakes that is probably 20 years old and still works great. 345fps and he has killed plenty of deer with it with no issues except replacing strings. So you could easily find a used model that is a couple models outdated and be fine as well

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Haven't heard anything about Barnett. I just picked up a Recruit/rope/dozen new bolts for $100 at an estate sale. Are they junk? Book says 330 fps with a 400gr bolt. I thought it was a bargain.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Anything but a Tenpoint, last service experience 2 years ago was truly disgusting.

Lot of the suggested makes mentioned here have had limb failures.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Deercamp
It’s probably a touch over $1,000, but I’d definitely say a Scorpyd.
They have the best trigger by far IMO. You can change your strings and cables without a press. All titanium parts. You can probably pick a used one up in the classifieds on one of the crossbow forums. That’s where I bought my second one.

Everything said above.

I have 2 of them and they are the best kept secret . They license Ten Point and anyone else's reverse draw technology.

Super easy to maintain and the Death Stalker is the quietest XBow on the market.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 07/12/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought my Ten Point second hand through Craigs List back in 2008 and with it I've toppled many deer. Mostly meat hunting for does. I had a problem with the safety/release device and sent it to the factory for repairs. No charge for parts and labor but reasonable fee for return shipping cost. Yes, it's not as light or as narrow as the new models but I'm happy with what I've got. No plans to trade! - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ravin

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Hickory Creek vertical….because I can’t stand regular crossbows or spending $2500-$3500 for one that decocks.

The Hickory Creek mini is very popular for saddle hunting. You can cock and uncock without a crank or string.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with Ravin R10 model. If it is as good as they say.....I will be pleased.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excalibur here too

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can’t say anything about new crossbows, other than they’re too expensive! I bought my Barnett C5 Wildcat about 10 years ago for under $250 for the entire package. Crossbow, scope, quiver, dozen bolts, crank cocking mechanism, and bow wax. I still use it today. It is scary accurate from 0-65 yards, and every buck I’ve squeezed the trigger on with it, has their horns on my walls.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Someone on this thread said something about not having to spend $1000 to get a good crossbow…that’s absolutely true in my mind. Bottom line, it’s your money and spend as much as you want to get the features you want. If you would have asked me about a year or two after I bought my one and only crossbow, if I would possibly buy a newer, lighter, faster, better one a few years later, I probably would have said yes. But this ol’ Wildcat shoots so damn good, I really see no need to upgrade. Good luck with your new xbow!

Doc_Holidude

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I owned a ten point, good bow, owned 3 Excalibur s and a buddy talked me into a R10 Ravin, last year. I'm hooked on the Ravin! Now 4 of us shoot the R10s

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Another Excalibur vote here! My first was the wide limb Vortex. It splits arrows, which I learned the hard way and stopped doing after three. Have three Matrix series (355, 380, 380) and an Axiom (wide limb like Vortex). Contemplating moving up to the Micro with the newest limbs.

Save money. BUY USED! Craigslist is outstanding place to find great used crossbows. Got all my Excaliburs there. They're indestructible but, if anything goes south, factory has a free lifetime limb replacement policy. Nobody in any industry does that. Except Excalibur.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,479
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.