D
Well stated.

DF

BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i built a rifle in 7mm-08 before any gun manufacture ever chambered one its a great cartridge , i also own a few 6.5 Creedmoor`s and a 257 Creedmoor both are great cartridges too. but i have decided for my family grandson , granddaughter ,wife and daughter are going to all use the same cartridge so its simpler for them and myself , i even have had a rifle chambered with a new Brux barrel in a 257 Roberts so we all have the same grand old cartridge the 257 Roberts . The 257 Roberts may be a cartridge from the past but it will hang with the new cartridges i have mentioned , mine and my daughters have a 7 1/2 twist Brux barrels . these two rifles with the 7 1/2 twist 257 Roberts just might have a little better ballistic when shooting 135 VLD Berger bullets . sometimes an old toy is fun too and can do as well as a new toy , besides you can not buy a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 7mm - 08 in this fine old rifle but you still can find a rifle with history a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in a 257 Roberts or a 7 x 57 Mauser both have value and are a great old rifles ! good luck with your choice all are good cartridges , Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I don't see much difference in deer kills with the Creed, Swede, 7-08 or Roberts.

Bottom line is about the same, deer hanging in the skinning shed.

Now, as a Loony, I do like to split hairs....

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I don't see much difference in deer kills with the Creed, Swede, 7-08 or Roberts.

Bottom line is about the same, deer hanging in the skinning shed.

Now, as a Loony, I do like to split hairs....

DF

Just about anything works on deer. Including .224 cal and even rimfires. No need to split hairs in this case.. I have a buddy that only uses his trusty 22-250 on deer and it flattens them.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I like them both, but I chose the 7mm-08. In Kentucky, my state of residence, they have a minimum .277 caliber requirement for elk. Although I believe that with good shot placement, the 6.5 would do the job, it would not be legal in my state in the event I get drawn for the elusive Kentucky elk tag.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Just bought a 7mm-08 going to experiment with that for a while.

You are gonna love it.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by HCDH66
I like them both, but I chose the 7mm-08. In Kentucky, my state of residence, they have a minimum .277 caliber requirement for elk. Although I believe that with good shot placement, the 6.5 would do the job, it would not be legal in my state in the event I get drawn for the elusive Kentucky elk tag.

Some game regs are simply dumb. A 7mm-08 is good to go, but a 6.5-300 Weatherby is inadequate by rule. crazy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mathman

Some game regs are simply dumb. A 7mm-08 is good to go, but a 6.5-300 Weatherby is inadequate by rule. crazy

and the 30 -30 is ok too sometimes i wonder who makes the law/rules ? common sense just doesn`t always apply

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by mathman

Agreed. But that reg made the final deciding factor in my decision.

On another note, I have really liked the 7mm-08. My particular rifle shoots great with Hornady 139 gr. GMX in factory ammo. My son and I have taken 9 deer with it.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have two Tikkas in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both excellent hunting rifles but I prefer the 7mm-08 for deer hunting.

Last edited by winfw01; 02/11/22.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ndh19
Thanks for all the info. Grand daughter turned 12 Friday and said she is ready to learn gun safety and start shooting. As soon as our cold winter breaks we'll head to the range and start burning 22lr. We can go 223 rem ,6.5cm , and 270 win from there until she finds a load she is comfortable shooting. then Grandma can pop for a new rifle. (I hope not pink). I'm thinking reduced creedmoor loads since I already reload and have a rifle she can shoot. Again , thanks for all the imput , NDH

You're right on track. Shoot as much 22 lr as she can stand. It's the best introduction to shooting there is. To keep with the original post In my opinion the Creedmoor recoils less and has less muzzle flash than the 7-08.

Best of luck to you

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by winfw01
I have two Tikkas in 7mm-08 and 6.5 Creedmoor. They are both excellent hunting rifles but I prefer the 7mm-08 for deer hunting.

I shoot a 7mm08. Im interested in why you favor the 7mm08 for deer hunting. Since you have both chamberings in the same rifle I would value your opinion.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Boarmaster123

I also have 2 Tikka's in both 7mm-08 (T3 in a McMillan Sako Hunter stock) and 6.5 CM (T3x Superlite in a B&C Medalist stock). I like both rifles equally well but IF I had to make a choice of one cal. I too would choose the 7mm-08 over the CM.

My Tikka's both shoot the same accuracy wise and at the distances I shoot for almost all of my hunting (which is 300 yds max.) I think the 7mm-08 is a more versatile cal. based on bullet weights alone, especially for game larger than deer.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have 2 daughters myself. The older one is a brute and the younger is kind of petite. My oldest was firing a .270 by that age, but I consider her an exception to the rule. I think I would go for the lower recoil. I think she would enjoy shooting it more and there isn't a ton of difference. I just bought a 350 legend for my 9 year old. 20% less recoil than a .243 and you can sling 150-180 grain. You might want to look into the 350 also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve raised 7 hunters. 4 girls and 3 boys. First granddaughter just arrived...grin!!

My oldest boy killed his first doe the day before he turned 5. Most everyone else started close to the same age.

We started with BB guns - my youngest son cut his teeth shooting red wasps down by the stock tank when they’d come to water. He started earholing them to up the challenge, and we’ve all seen him hit them in the air with a little daisy. The kid can shoot.

He, and all the rest started with 4 power scopes on .22’s and worked up to .223’s.

They’ve literally killed hundreds of deer among them with .223’s running 55, 62 and 70 grain Barnes TSX’s, and quite a few 60g Partitions.

We drill shoulders and have stopped all of 2 bullets over the years and they’ve never lost a deer shooting .223’s. Central TX and some big south Texas Whitetail included. Mostly does, spikes and quite a few mature bucks - culls and trophy deer.

The only really bad shots came as we moved up to larger cartridges, although we did have a couple of follow up/tracking jobs on longer shots that were slightly back with .223’s - one because of wind, one a deflection off brush, and one from good ole buck fever - but we found them all.

I love the 7-08 - my go to for years. I’ve also got a couple of 6.5’s I really like.

However, I wouldn’t let a young (or even older) first time hunter use either if I had access to a .223 that shot TSX’s of any weight well and my shots were under 200 yards.

There’s no substitute for the confidence gained with years shooting .223’s with premium Bullets.

Whatever you use - protect their ears at all costs. That’s what will make them flinch.

Go with the best bullet and lowest recoil combination that makes sense. I like the fast .223 with a premium bullet at reasonable ranges. No recoil and good results come easy.

Best of success to you, and may God bless the time you spend hunting with kids.

DJ

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I haven’t read through everything, but I find myself looking to get into lighter recoil guns, due to a shoulder replacement. When it comes to recoil it appears 6.5 is little lighter in terms of energy but does that translate to felt recoil as well?
Also for elk size game, are either adequate?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had this issue and started my 7 YO with a .223. First with 64 Nosler Bonded Solid Base and now with 55 Hornady SP with cannelure. The .223 works fine with either and the 64 Nosler is one TOUGH bullet. Two of my kids have hunted with the Nosler as have I and it expands and then penetrates like crazy. I would not feel handicapped hunting cow elk with that bullet in a .223.

I let my son shoot a .243 the other day and he handled it fine but he's doing so well with his LH .223, I'm not going to rock the boat. I think he's killed four pigs in the last month with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I guess I’m really not sure how this is a serious question.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 7-08 components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 6.5 cm components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re not a hand loader, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

If you want the lightest possible recoil between the two, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

It’s simple - find out what’s your huckleberry.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Brad
I guess I’m really not sure how this is a serious question.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 7-08 components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re a hand loader and have a chit-ton of 6.5 cm components, it’s your huckleberry.

If you’re not a hand loader, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

If you want the lightest possible recoil between the two, the 6.5 cm is your huckleberry.

It’s simple - find out what’s your huckleberry.

That answered my question!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by hanco
Use the Creed , load it down with H-4895, increase wider as she gets older. She a little thing even now.

Granddaughter started with a loaded down 243 at 7 yrs old.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is awesome. What it is all about.

My daughters have 7mm-08’s and have killed a lot of game with them. I agree with a lot of guys here that they are so similar go with the best deal and ammo availability.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.