Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
R
I feed my seven month old yellow lab Aspen, half venison or raw chicken thighs and half tractor supply 4 health grain free puppy chow.

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our soon to be 7 yo lab/tasmanian devil mix, eats anything put in front of her. Mostly Purina dog chow, often mixed with Purina lamb and rice. Now and then some beef chow. And some table scraps, but not much. She loves taters, water melon, cantalope and most veggies. Will kill for bacon.

One stepson has lost two Golden Retrievers over the past eight years, to some form of cancer, feeding them expensive and highly recommended dog foods. One only lasted three years.

All of our labs have made it to a bit past 12, so far. And my beagle made it past 15, on Purina and table scraps. Venison turns our dogs into self propelled fart machines, so they've been cut off.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My old dog lived to be 19 and ate nothing but Ole Roy, cat shìt and WB Cut tobacco every day.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SamOlson
What food would you guys recommend for a little old dog that has yeasty skin issues?

Pure raw meat, bone, and organ, diet. It will clear up instantly.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a new boxer. He gets bil-jak in the morning, ground deer meat in the afternoon, blue Buffalo dry in the bowl throughout the day. And about 2 tablespoons of peanut butter before bed.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I alternate between raw pigtails and raw whole chicken legs as the main staple, bone-in, of course. I supplement that with a small piece of beef liver every day, a few frozen berries (a variety of them), and a fish oil gelcap. Been doing this for many years. My oldest dog will be 12 this spring, and still looks and behaves like a dog in her prime. Both my dogs have pearly white teeth, with no plaque buildup, healthy gums, sweet breath, and have never needed a teeth cleaning.

Occasionally, when I can find them, I feed them a raw beef kidney, for some variety.
Are you serious? I used to feed my mutt chicken bones. Then my vet told me that the sharp end of a broken bone can perforate the dog's intestine, and the dog needs life saving surgery for $1800. No more bones for my dog.

To be fair, prior to that my dog ate all the bones of 14 chickens, and never got sick.

That vet needs to get out in the wild and warn all those poor wolves, coyotes, and foxes. They are all in deep trouble without anyone out there to debone their prey. grin

PS What your vet said is sound advice with regard to cooked bones, but not raw. Raw bones don't splinter into hard, sharp, points. Dogs represent the end product of 40 million years of evolution equipping them precisely for processing the whole animals they catch. They process them with their teeth, jaws, and the remainder of their digestive tracts, all perfectly designed for the task.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Vet told a fried of mine that much of the cancer is due to not enough meat protein in the dog food,

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I alternate between raw pigtails and raw whole chicken legs as the main staple, bone-in, of course. I supplement that with a small piece of beef liver every day, a few frozen berries (a variety of them), and a fish oil gelcap. Been doing this for many years. My oldest dog will be 12 this spring, and still looks and behaves like a dog in her prime. Both my dogs have pearly white teeth, with no plaque buildup, healthy gums, sweet breath, and have never needed a teeth cleaning.

Occasionally, when I can find them, I feed them a raw beef kidney, for some variety.
Are you serious? I used to feed my mutt chicken bones. Then my vet told me that the sharp end of a broken bone can perforate the dog's intestine, and the dog needs life saving surgery for $1800. No more bones for my dog.

To be fair, prior to that my dog ate all the bones of 14 chickens, and never got sick.

That vet needs to get out in the wild and warn all those poor wolves, coyotes, and foxes. They are all in deep trouble without anyone out there to debone their prey. grin

PS What your vet said is sound advice with regard to cooked bones, but not raw. Raw bones don't splinter into hard, sharp, points. Dogs represent the end product of 40 million years of evolution equipping them precisely for processing the whole animals they catch. They process them with their teeth, jaws, and the remainder of their digestive tracts, all perfectly designed for the task.

+1.My bull mastiff(adopted) was fed whole chickens ,legs, thighs and wings from the time he could eat solid food thru the time I ended up with him(one year later). One vet grimaced, his current one said as long as it is not cooked. I feed him Fromm Dog food and have for almost 5 years , he also gets fish, chicken and meat that is cooked.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
+ 1 on uncooked bones & raw eggs & meats, as supplementals !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ole Roy for my dog. Poor old guy's hips are going and I need to put him down but I just don't have the heart.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was feeding my dog cooked chicken bones. The vet told me, and she wasn't kidding, that she did that intestine surgery about once every six weeks. Chicken bone pierces the intestine, doo doo leaks out into the abdomen, infection called peritonitis develops, and without surgery the doggie will die in 3 days and it isn't pretty.

Interesting that raw bones don't cause a problem.. I have been wondering about that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was feeding my dog cooked chicken bones. The vet told me, and she wasn't kidding, that she did that intestine surgery about once every six weeks. Chicken bone pierces the intestine, doo doo leaks out into the abdomen, infection called peritonitis develops, and without surgery the doggie will die in 3 days and it isn't pretty.

Interesting that raw bones don't cause a problem.. I have been wondering about that.

The bones harden during the cooking process and splinter while uncooked will be soft and not have sharp ends. That said I will not feed him uncooked chicken anymore, he doesn't chew his food . Worry about the chicken piece lodging in his throat smile

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

If raw bones were a problem, every day would constitute a decimation of wild canids (wolves, coyotes, foxes, etc.), because they don't avoid the bones of the animals they take down. They crunch away at them, and eat those bones chunk by chunk, and the smaller animals they catch (e.g., rabbits, birds, etc.) get munched down whole.

Wolverines (admittedly, closer to a weasel than a dog), for example, during hard times, will specialize in crushing (they have super powerful jaws) and consuming old carcass bones left behind by larger predators. Captured wolverines are often found to have stomachs chock full of nothing but bone fragments.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I look for an approximate 30/20 fat/protein mix. Currently I’m feeding Purina Pro Plan Sport but have also feed Taste of the Wild in the past.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Very interesting Hawkeye. Because I knew that if a coyote caught a 10 pound wild turkey, it is going to be Happy Thanksgiving because he is going to gobble that bird down.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
How did all those dogs live and thrive before yuppie, feel good dog food was thrust upon the gullible American consumer? Somewhere along the line a dog morphed from a pet/possession, which they have been for thousands of years, to a "family member" with a status equivalent to that of a child. Just another symptom of the cancer that has been slowly eating away at the soul of America.

Last edited by BuckHaggard; 02/09/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Natures Domain Salmon and Sweet Potato from Costco, very highly rated and the dogs love it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 80 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.