Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Been that fast in a 455 Trans Am. The broken yellow line looks solid at that speed.

That weren’t no stock Trans Am.
Nope.

Must have been turning 9000+rpm
I meant "nope, it wasn't stock"

True dat! Motor trend wrote a review on a 1975 or 1976 Trans Am and rated it from 0-60 in an afternoon. Muscle cars died in 1971.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Chrysler guys should be talking about the Viper.
Yeah didn't bring that up yet.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by jimy
If you have the cash they will build it !

The October 12, 2006 issue of AutoWeek published photos by photographer Chris Doane of a C6 Z06 with special auto-manufacturer-issued license plates with a hood bulge, widely thought to confirm the presence of a supercharger on the Blue Devil. Other names attached to the project included Corvette SS, after the late '50 racing car,[14] and Corvette Z07.[15] In February 2007, a worker at a Michigan shipping company posted pictures online of a powertrain development mule that was being shipped to Germany, believed to be part of the Blue Devil program. The car had manufacturer's license plates, carbon-ceramic disc brakes, enlarged fender vents, a hood bulge, and an engine with a positive-displacement supercharger in the valley between the cylinder banks and a water-to-air intercooler atop it. GM began to release details on the Blue Devil project in April 2007. The company confirmed the existence of the project in an interview with Car and Driver on April 13. Engine power levels were confirmed to be between 600 and 700 horsepower (447 and 522 kW), but contrary to prior rumors of a supercharged 6.2 liter engine, the engine was only confirmed to have greater displacement than the 7.0 liter LS7 in the Z06.[16] Motor Trend confirmed the official name for the production version of the Blue Devil, resurrecting the old ZR1 nameplate. The ZR1 had originally been used on developmental cars in 1971, and again as ZR-1 as the top of the line variant of the C4 Corvette.[17] General Motors officially introduced the Corvette ZR1 on December 19, giving a press release and photographs of the car. GM confirmed a supercharged 6.2 L LS9 V8 having a power output of 638 hp (647 PS; 476 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 604 lb⋅ft (819 N⋅m) of torque at 3,800 rpm. A test of the ZR1 on the German autobahn revealed a top speed of 192 mph (309 km/h), although the manufacturer claims the car is engineered to attain speeds up to 205 mph (330 km/h).[18]
so not off the showroom floor. Lol my 78 yr old aunt has a Z06

Go back to 63 when the first 5 were built .

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Corvette C8. R Grabs 1st and 2nd at the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona
Coming off a championship-winning 2020 season, the Corvette Racing team took the GTLM Class win and runner-up positions in the 2021 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona. ...
This year, it was the No. ...
The mid-engine C8.
More items...•Feb 5, 2021

Corvette C8.R Grabs 1st and 2nd at the Rolex 24 Hours of ...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

The October 12, 2006 issue of AutoWeek published photos by photographer Chris Doane of a C6 Z06 with special auto-manufacturer-issued license plates with a hood bulge, widely thought to confirm the presence of a supercharger on the Blue Devil. Other names attached to the project included Corvette SS, after the late '50 racing car,[14] and Corvette Z07.[15] In February 2007, a worker at a Michigan shipping company posted pictures online of a powertrain development mule that was being shipped to Germany, believed to be part of the Blue Devil program. The car had manufacturer's license plates, carbon-ceramic disc brakes, enlarged fender vents, a hood bulge, and an engine with a positive-displacement supercharger in the valley between the cylinder banks and a water-to-air intercooler atop it. GM began to release details on the Blue Devil project in April 2007. The company confirmed the existence of the project in an interview with Car and Driver on April 13. Engine power levels were confirmed to be between 600 and 700 horsepower (447 and 522 kW), but contrary to prior rumors of a supercharged 6.2 liter engine, the engine was only confirmed to have greater displacement than the 7.0 liter LS7 in the Z06.[16] Motor Trend confirmed the official name for the production version of the Blue Devil, resurrecting the old ZR1 nameplate. The ZR1 had originally been used on developmental cars in 1971, and again as ZR-1 as the top of the line variant of the C4 Corvette.[17] General Motors officially introduced the Corvette ZR1 on December 19, giving a press release and photographs of the car. GM confirmed a supercharged 6.2 L LS9 V8 having a power output of 638 hp (647 PS; 476 kW) at 6,500 rpm and 604 lb⋅ft (819 N⋅m) of torque at 3,800 rpm. A test of the ZR1 on the German autobahn revealed a top speed of 192 mph (309 km/h), although the manufacturer claims the car is engineered to attain speeds up to 205 mph (330 km/h).[18]

We are talking about current times.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They will smoke you where ever you play !

Street , track, or on the oval !

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

This is what Chevrolet was building in 1963…

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Remember Showroom Stock racing in the 1980's?
Things like wheels/tires/brake pads/etc. could be changed, one car trounced the others so bad it was disqualified from the competition, >Chevrolet Corvette.
Some races Corvettes would get the first 15-17 places, maybe a Porsche 944 Turbo would make it into the high teens finish spot.
It was a sad time for many manufacturers, Mustangs had 4 lug wheels and a common problem was they would fall off the pony-car.

The Corvette went on to its own series Corvette Challenge, others could enter, few did, even some high-dollar exotics Ferrari/Lotus came out for an ass-whipping.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
HitnRun,

I remember that car .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dodge still dominating super stock to this day.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always wanted a 1964 Polara! And a Hemi would have been nice!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Whelenman

They always looked great in the rear view mirror.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Have one I need to do something with someday.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Longbob
Originally Posted by Jahrs
My 1975 Pontiac Trans Am with the Factory 455 and Hurst 4-Speed would bury the 150 mph on the speedometer.

Don’t know what top Speed was, but no one ever out ran me on the Hwy when I had it.

Me and a buddy out ran a factory 455 t/a in a Gremlin. Red light to red light.

First off, let me clarify that my Trans Am was a 1974 Model. NOT A 1975 Model.

And that T/A driver y’all raced was probably laughing so hard at a Gremlin trying to race him that he forgot to shift gears. 😜
Had a cousin that put a 454 Chevy big block in his Chevy Vega and took a lot of folks money street racing way back then.
So looks can be deceiving. 😬

Anyhow.......
My 455 engine was not stock. Blew the original engine at 30,000 miles racing a Corvette out on the Interstate.

I had a local guy that drag raced Top Fuel Dragsters Professionally rebuild it for me. Cost me $3K back in 79.
He over bored it, shaved the heads, added a 3/4 Racing Cam, balanced and blueprinted the engine. Also added EDELBROCK Racing manifold, Holley 650 Double pumper Carb, Hooker headers, and a pair of Thrush Straight-through glass pack mufflers. And, I added a set of traction bars and wider tires for the back, as it was tough to get traction out of the hole with the 4-Speed Manuel transmission and an engine making 450 horses.

I had two buddy’s at the time with T/A’s and Firebirds.
On had a 78 Trans Am with the 455 and the other had a 75 Firebird with the 400 engine. And another buddy with a 69 Barracuda with the 440 engine. Another buddy had a 1978 Corvette Pace Car, and another had a 69 Chevelle SS with the 396 engine, and another friend with a 1971 Mach 1 Mustang with the 429 engine.
We all hung out together and spent every Saturday night we could at the local drag strip. My car with the rebuilt engine would run in the low 13’s on the strip.
None of the friends I mentioned above ever beat me on the Legal Drag Strip or on the street.
And I never got beat street racing either in my hometown.
I took the 455 decal off the hood scoop and won quite a bit of $$$ racing on the street, from folks that would cruise Main Street looking for a race on Friday nights

And, also, I should have proof read my original post before posting. I’ll blame it on the small onscreen keyboard on my iPhone. 😬
Again, My Trans Am was a 1974 Model. NOT A 1975 Model. Sorry for the confusion, but the Specs EdM posted are for another model. Not the one I owned.
Pissed me off because I knew they weren’t the correct specs for my T/A. Sounded like was being condescending before I went back and reread his post.
My fault, not his. So I guess I owe him an apology for acting like a [bleep]. 😬

Here are the the correct Specs for the 1974 Model.

Engine type Pontiac Big Block V-8 455 SD
Displacement 7.5 l (455 ci / 7456 cc)
Power 314 ps (310 bhp / 231 kw) @ 4000 rpm
Torque 529 Nm (390 lb-ft) @ 3600 rpm
Power / liter 42 ps (42 hp)
Power / weight 189 ps (187 bhp) / t
Torque / weight 318 Nm (235 lb-ft) / t
Transmission 4 Speed Manual (3.08 ratio)

Wished I had kept that car. Only 212 were produced with the 455 SD engine and Manuel transmission.
One with only 9,500 miles sold for $111,000 back in 2015 at a Barrett-Jackson’s Vegas Auction. 😢

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/profile/1974-pontiac-trans-am-sd-455

What is a 3/4 racing cam? What rear gear and tire size?

It may have been a term that was used here regionally.
I just remember it as s term the local hot rod crowd and mechanics I hung out with used.
I can’t remember the brand and version of the camshaft that my mechanic used in the engine build. Wished my memory was that good. 😬
That’s what we referred to back then as a Cam you could still use on the street, and for normal every day driving, but was much more high performance than a stock camshaft.
A racing cam back then made your engine’s idle way too rough when you were sitting at the red light before it changes.
An engine with a full racing cam always sounded like they were about to sputter and die at idle RPM’s. They made your engine sound like it was about to run out of gas, until you got above idle RPM.
And if I recall correctly, the rearend gear ratio was a 3:43

I can’t recall the tire size. I know I put on set of air shocks so they wouldn’t rub on the fender wells.
Seems like the tires were Goodrich. I also put a set of Custom Crome Rocket brand Spoke wheels on it. The type that had like 5 big spokes. Not those bicycle type spoke wheels you see on cars in “da hood”.
Heck, that was 42 years ago. Lucky to remember my name on some days. 🤠

I get it about the memory fading thing. Same thing for me just walking into another room. I have heard some use the term "3/4 racing cam," but it really doesn't mean anything because a "racing cam" isn't absolute. I guess someone is trying to guess it is somewhere half way between a stock camshaft and low vacuum lumpy stick. We build high performance engines for the street and race cars that are on the literal edge. Camshafts are normally referred to by lift, duration, and lobe separation. Even with these we have to be concerned with valve to piston clearance, ramp rates, spring pressures, hydraulic/solid/roller lifters, base circles, degrees advanced, etc.... That is why it makes it difficult to say what is 3/4's of that in my opinion.

The 1974 455 was a square bore (bore and stroke were more or less equal). This was more of a torquer motor rather than a high revving engine which bodes well to the tall gear you had in the car and taller tires it appears. I am surprised that the engine builder put a 650 cfm carb on that many cubic inches especially after adding another 8 to 10 with the larger bore. It would make it a stoplight to stoplight beast, but wouldn't breath well at the upper RPMs. It would take a lot of RPMs for that beast to push the aerodynamics of a 1974 Firebird anywhere close to 145 or 150 mph in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification LongBob. I knew it wasn’t the correct or proper terminology for the Camshaft, but that’s just what stuck in my mind from 40 something years ago. Wish I could remember the exact Cam mfg and model, but it’s been too long.

And if I recall correctly, about 5000 or 5500 was redlining on that original SD 455 Factory Engine.
It could have benefited greatly from a 5th or overdrive gear for top end speed. Like I mentioned, that’s how I blew the original engine.
They were nothing like the small block Chevy engines of that era that you could push the RPM’s way up there, without worrying as much about engine failure.
Seems like a lifetime ago and my driving habits have changed significantly. In fact, I’m probably one of those that others bitch about when they pass my old farm truck for driving too slow. 🤠

I completely get how our driving habits change and I am a lot like you in that regards. I drive a relative hotrod for a sedan pretty sedate. I have a Genesis G80 3.3T that out performs a 928 that I drove in college, but I drive it like a granny most times. Which is in contrast to what I do when I am racing.

Your description of the type of engine that your 455 was is spot on. It is not a high revving engine and could have used another gear I bet, but the aerodynamics of that particular car is a big limiting factor for high speed. At the risk of getting into the weeds I will explain how we determine cam, gearing, and other elements on our drag racing cars.

An engine is basically an air pump with an accelerant (gasoline, alcohol, nitro, etc...). We look at the class rules as to what we can modify or not. One of the most limiting factors is induction. Carb or throttle body size, port volumes, valve sizes, and camshaft lift are where we start. We are trying to calculate how much air we can get into the engine to help combust the fuel and the maximum RPMs we think the engine can turn. It is basic physics. We are trying to move a stationary object to the most acceleration in a quarter mile in the shortest amount of time. The more RPMs we can turn the more gear we can run in the car for more leverage.

A side note: There isn't a machine that can measure horsepower. A dyno measures torque and horsepower is a mathematical calculation. It is torque times RPM divided by 5252. You want to make as much torque as possible at as high an RPM over the greatest amount of RPM range. Not an easy feat. One of the things that we discovered was how to tune sequentially on our fuel injected cars at RPMs it was never intended to utilize. My super stocker will go through the lights at 9,600 to 9,700 RPM in really good air. Valve train stability is paramount.

You mentioned the SBC. They are a dream to turn at higher RPMs because of their oiling system. My super stocker is LS based and it was very difficult to turn at such high RPMs and get it to live with a wet sump system on the LS. The oil pump is crank driven on a LS which means it turns at the same RPM as the engine where as the SBC is camshaft driven and it turns at half the RPM of the engine. It is a lot easier to keep those pumps from cavitation. Another downside to the LS engines is the extended skirt of the block. You cannot get the oil away from the crank at high RPMs on a LS like you can with a SBC and a well designed oil pan. The LS is also hard on the number 2 and 4 main bearings due to crankshaft flex. This is best resolved with an 8 counter weight crankshaft.

Probably way more than anyone wanted to know, but that is scratching the surface of what we do with these cars and engines. I could go on for pages, but this is more of a hunting forum.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldidaho
Originally Posted by bbassi
Originally Posted by Stophel
Of course the owner of the car (almost certainly not one of the occupants of the car...) is now just S.O.L. His car is wrecked, and he'll get nothing.

Coroner Joey Proctor said the victims, from Spalding County and the Griffin area, roughly 20 miles northwest of where the wreck happened, were: Oman Ellis, 21; G’nai Foster, 22; Jarvis Redding, 18; and Tyron Barrett, 17.

None of them bought it with their PT $15/hr Burger King gig. That's for sure.

Maybe they were undocumented pharmacists, bright young entrepreneurs participating in the lucrative free market all cash economy.

I'm gonna go with 'aspiring musicians'.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agree.
You can have a 5,000HP engine, if it's turning the same RPM as a 250HP engine the car will go the same speed. Although the 5,000HP engine will get there a little faster. smile

Cars back in the 60-70-80's had 1 to 1 gear ratios and ran about 2500rpm at highway speeds. GM Turbo 350/400 three speeds [other makers too] 4 speed cars etc. don't compare to speeds modern 6-7-8-10 speed cars can attain.
The 93 Corvette I mentioned would top 170mph in 5th gear, 4th gear is a 1 to 1 ratio, 5th is .50 to 1 ratio and is where the big speed is made.

IF the car had an engine powerful enough to REDLINE 6th gear which is considered double over-drive gear, .25 to 1 ratio, the car would be traveling 320mph. Although the ZF- 6speed transmission couldn't handle that level of torque/HP.

Back in the mid 80's Andy Granatelli, was trying to break 230mph/? with the 3rd generation camaro. He was at 211mph, needed 19 more mph. Camaro was making 700+ ''wheel hp'' and computer-generated data showed it need 250+ more horsepower, for 19 more mph. I was amazed that computers did that kind of stuff and that it took that much more HP to push the car through the wind at those speeds.
[/quote]

You might want to check your tranny gear ratios.
I really don't think it went from 1:1 to .5:1 in one shift.
.75:1 is more likely. And still a good step.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing back a lot of my old hot rod memories here... I started driving in 69 so a lot of great used hot rods were available at the time and I took advantage of that every chance I got - when I could afford it. Had a bunch of fast cars in high school- a 64 Malibu SS, my dads Caprice with a 454 in it, my 68 GTO with the 400 hp/400 High Performance engine in it. Fastest I ever went in a car was in that GTO- got on a new highway they were going to open the next day with my brother. Moved the barricades and drove down the exit ramp to get on the freeway and opened it up down that stretch. My speedo got up to 140 or 150, not really sure any more, but I was watching the tach keep climbing over the top mark and realized I had gotten up to around 155 at around 6500 rpm on that motor. Had to slow down because the front end was floating all over the place and I could barely drive the car it was so light in the front end. 6500 is pretty high for hydraulic lifters and I had to pull over for about ten minutes to cool the engine off and let the lifters pump back up and get some oil back in the engine valley...

I say I think because I had another car about then- a Vega I installed a built 327 with Z28 internals and 400 Turbo Hydro in it... Speedo only read to 120 or so, so once it pegged I was on my own. No tach in that one while I owned it but it was a kick to drive and beat everything I ever raced in it. Had to sell it for a song when the Army decided they needed me overseas and my dad refused to store it for me...

My present hot rod I don't have the foggiest idea how fast I've gotten it going. Speedo hasn't worked since I built it and it gets pretty light over about 130 or so, but I've pushed it way past that a couple times. White knuckles is an understatement in the AC Cobra. Short wheelbases and high speeds are a serious affair and still at almost 70 years young is fun and a good way to blow off some steam when you need to. The most fun though is pulling up to lights and having fart can ricers blow their whiny engine noises at me to goad me into a race.... I just rev the sidepipes and the noise drowns out any ideas they have about racing...

I remember all the "3/4 race cam" talk and all the nonsense we used to talk about with my car buddies back in the day. I finally realized this was just about the only way most guys - even some good mechanics I knew- could describe a racier cam since nobody really understood lift, overlap, timing, etc... and we didn't have the sophisticated machinery back then to measure A/F mixtures, Air Flow, etc... to really dial in our engines. It was pretty seat of your pants tuning and some were better than others at it. We had a couple good friends who were pretty well known Top Fuel drag car builders and we used to hang out and make a nuisance of ourselves until he would run us off... Even back then a lot of us had 12 second cars but some of those muscle cars back then had a lot more horsepower than advertised due to insurance limitations. Those were some great days- CAPO Camaros, Vettes, 396, 427, and 454 engines in the Chevies, Pontiacs with the excellent 390/400 and 455 engines, the Fords with the 390 HP, 427, 428 PI engines, the Mopars with the 340 Six packs, 383 HP, 426 Hemi, 440 .... I could go on and on but it was a great time to be a car guy and young enough to enjoy it. Which is probably why I am still a car guy and built an AC Cobra pretty much from scratch a few years ago. Some itches just never can be scratched enough...

My next build will be an LS of some sort for sure- I'm thinking a 67 Nova, or a 68 Camaro, or a 70-72 Chevelle... but time will well...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ya ! Right!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

Ya ! Right!!!

He could be bracket racing and leaving first. laugh

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
199 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 28 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.