Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been reloading since I was 13, never used nickel plated brass, but now have some.

Might be a dumb question but...does the obvious difference in how it feels to the touch ("slicker" than s***) carry forward to when it is fired and result in less grip to chamber walls and more thrust to the bolt?

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Lots of high psi rifle and handgun cartridges are loaded in nickel cases. I use them for my wife’s .338 WM with pretty warm loads.....no apparent issues.

I would assume no real discernible difference, provided that the chamber nor the case is slick with lube! JMO. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I do not think there is a slickness problem, but you will probably will have to set
you sizer die different than for straight brass for head spacing.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m NAGW, and I may be the exception, but I’ve never reloaded any nickel plated brass.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I load Winchester's nickel plated brass in my .280 Rem. so as to differentiate between .270 and .280 brass. I haven't had any problems with the nickel plated brass. I even anneal them the same way as yellow brass.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Murkydismal: I have used "nickel plated" brass for my reloading/shooting for a VERY long time. Probably 50+ years.
I use nickel plated brass in some of my Rifles in calibers:
17 Remington
22 Hornet
222 Remington
223 Remington
22-250 Remington
220 Swift
243 Winchester
280 Remington
308 Winchester
Never had even problem #1 with them nor with the dies I load them in.
I like nickel plated brass - always have.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I do not think there is a slickness problem, but you will probably will have to set
you sizer die different than for straight brass for head spacing.

Why?

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I used to load .45 ACP nickle brass. Taper crimped. I thought I had problems getting the nickle brass to hold tightly to the bullet. No problem with nonplated brass so I gave all of my nickle brass away.
Maybe just my imagination. No problems noted with .40 or 9mm.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why?
Nickle plated brass is 'stiffer' than regular brass.
I set my sizing die for the brass to just clear compressed fit when bolt closed.
In all the nickle plated brass I have used over the years, I have needed to
set the die a bit lower to get the head space fit up I want.
I size to fit a specific guns chamber on my bolts and single shot guns.
Just me I guess. Maybe most everyone else sizes down further to start out.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Biggest problem I've ever had is it is tough on case trimmer cutter heads. Nickle is hard.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Featherweight6555
Biggest problem I've ever had is it is tough on case trimmer cutter heads. Nickle is hard.

Exactly this^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have found nickel plated brass to be good for AI cartridges

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by murkydismal
Been reloading since I was 13, never used nickel plated brass, but now have some.

Might be a dumb question but...does the obvious difference in how it feels to the touch ("slicker" than s***) carry forward to when it is fired and result in less grip to chamber walls and more thrust to the bolt?

It's also more brittle.

Had a factory Winchester 7-08 cartridge split upon firing and got hot powder and gas to the face.

I'll take the brass made of brass, thanks.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by autoshopteacher
I used to load .45 ACP nickle brass. Taper crimped. I thought I had problems getting the nickle brass to hold tightly to the bullet.

Any chance the nickel plated .45s were Remington? And were you using .451" jacketed/cast bullets?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by murkydismal

It's also more brittle.

Had a factory Winchester 7-08 cartridge split upon firing and got hot powder and gas to the face.

Nickel brass is brass. Early nickel plated brass was just that but current "plated" brass appears to be more of a wash than actual plating. At least that's what it looks like on my Winchester .280 Rem. brass. Seems to wear off fairly quickly after a few sessions in the tumbler.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Am liking the Starline nickel .45-70, .44 mag and .480 Ruger cases.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
/quote]

It's also more brittle.

[/quote]

Have not found that to be true--especially because nickel-plated brass is just that--brass plated with a thin coat of nickel. There are NO cases made entirely of nickel.

Dunno why the 7mm-08 case you cite split, but it was NOT due to being nickel-plated.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have used nickel plated brass in .257 Roberts, .35 Whelen, and .30-06 without issues. The .35W is all fired Federal brass from Trophy Bonded Bear Claw ammo and the others are (were) new Remington bulk brass. I saw someone here on the Fire had some nickel plated .300 Weatherby cases. Now that would bring the bling!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I prefer nickeled cases when I can find them as they don't scuz up so bad in the wet conditions here. Having used them in both pistol and rifle applications for a couple decades, I can say there's no difference between plated and unplated brass. Now, if anyone has any nickel plated .458 cases they want to part with.........help a brother out!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a 17 rem built several years ago with a fairly tight chamber. During initial load development I used R-P brass ( non nickel plated). I then bought a few hundred R-P brass that were nickel. I used the same load data as before and it was clearly over pressure. I assumed it was due to the necks being thicker from the nickel plating and there not being enough room in the throat of the chamber to allow the neck to swell and let go of the bullet. I went back to std brass and the problem went away. That nickel brass now belongs to a Rem 700 .17 and I’ve. Never had any issues with it in the other rifle. I thought about turning the necks a bit but never tried that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 1Longbow, 257 roberts, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,286
Posts18,448,796
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.