Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Diesel
In case you missed it, all the wood except the plank and beams is done on a circular saw to keep the saw marks visible. Band saws did the beams and plank. I burned up six orbital sanders and one table saw in the process. Almost all the lumber and raw material was hauled in my ford f150. I had help with the framing and roof and block work. My wife and step daughter contributed in so many ways, from sanding to insulating and painting.

I absolutely hate drywall work but pushed through it. This is my last build as i am 69 now and just want to putter around on the land now. I am truly grateful to have accomplished this much and have it turn out as envisioned. It was a hell of a lot of work and appreciate my wife's patience throughout the process, she is a tough nut.

I have been told it was foolish to do this at my age and that I would not have much time to enjoy it. But it was a labor of love and there is plenty of reward in that alone. If I were to die today I would have been happy with the ride.

There are still things to do but should finish this summer, God willing and health holds up.

Thanks for looking in and all the wonderful remarks. I AM kinda proud of the whole thing

And to Wabi.. IF, there any imperfections somewhere, my old eyes are now a blessing.
What type of wood are the beams? Did you fell them and do all the milling yourself?

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
In case you missed it, all the wood except the plank and beams is done on a circular saw to keep the saw marks visible. Band saws did the beams and plank. I burned up six orbital sanders and one table saw in the process. Almost all the lumber and raw material was hauled in my ford f150. I had help with the framing and roof and block work. My wife and step daughter contributed in so many ways, from sanding to insulating and painting.

I absolutely hate drywall work but pushed through it. This is my last build as i am 69 now and just want to putter around on the land now. I am truly grateful to have accomplished this much and have it turn out as envisioned. It was a hell of a lot of work and appreciate my wife's patience throughout the process, she is a tough nut.

I have been told it was foolish to do this at my age and that I would not have much time to enjoy it. But it was a labor of love and there is plenty of reward in that alone. If I were to die today I would have been happy with the ride.

There are still things to do but should finish this summer, God willing and health holds up.

Thanks for looking in and all the wonderful remarks. I AM kinda proud of the whole thing

And to Wabi.. IF, there any imperfections somewhere, my old eyes are now a blessing.

What type of wood are the beams? Did you fell them and do all the milling yourself?

The beams and all exposed wood is hemlock ruff cut by Amish Dutch. Different mills use different methods to cut. Circular saw vs band saw. Since purchasing the lumber price has gone up 50 % last I checked.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

The beams and all exposed wood is hemlock ruff cut by Amish Dutch. Different mills use different methods to cut. Circular saw vs band saw. Since purchasing the lumber price has gone up 50 % last I checked.
Thank you sir. Did the zoning department give you fits because it wasn’t stamped lumber? Did they make you engineer it?

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks great. Do you find that all the dark walls depressing?

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Damn impressive!

Two questions if you would:
1. What is the foundation?
2. How many sq ft?

Thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very nicely done and definitely appears to be a labor of love. There's nothing quite like a structure that utilizes natural materials, built like a craftsman such as yourself. A very comfortable, warm and peaceful abode that will surely add to you and your wife's contentment in the coming years. Congratulations on completing such a stellar build. You should be proud.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Diesel is no doubt a better carpenter than I, I make mistakes!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
10 inch block, 13 block high, termite block tops. 2000 sf. Frame is standard 2x6. 16 inch truss floor. 8/12 pitch roof trusses.

The house is a basic stick build to specs and passed inspections. The posts are only for supporting beam ceiling spans. The exterior 2x6 walls are double topped and the beams ride on that and then another double top sets on top of that basically sandwiching the beams. The roof trusses set in top of that "sandwich". I did radiant heated floors.

What is not evident in the exterior pics is the truss tails were added to allow the APPEARANCE that the extensions...made of ruff cut hemlock...are the roof structure. I had to custom make each extension that also allows the 1x12 ruff cut boards to meet the same plane as the roof sheeting. Try explaining all that to the permit app guy.

I was on a job in Palm Springs and they were building a club house at Thermal race tracks that used that technique.

I had built this thing so many times in my head that I had almost all the dimensions memorized.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Absolutely stunning place! Great work and a great story along with it.

Hunt...
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Tater, It is actually pretty light inside. The open concept of the main areas and all the windows allow in plenty of light. The lighting plays off all the draw knife work and beams after dark. Dimmer enabled fixtures gives total control of ambience to task lighting.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope you enjoy many years in your dream home!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Outstanding!

Coyotes shot no waiting.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
10 inch block, 13 block high, termite block tops. 2000 sf. Frame is standard 2x6. 16 inch truss floor. 8/12 pitch roof trusses.

The house is a basic stick build to specs and passed inspections. The posts are only for supporting beam ceiling spans. The exterior 2x6 walls are double topped and the beams ride on that and then another double top sets on top of that basically sandwiching the beams. The roof trusses set in top of that "sandwich". I did radiant heated floors.

What is not evident in the exterior pics is the truss tails were added to allow the APPEARANCE that the extensions...made of ruff cut hemlock...are the roof structure. I had to custom make each extension that also allows the 1x12 ruff cut boards to meet the same plane as the roof sheeting. Try explaining all that to the permit app guy.

I was on a job in Palm Springs and they were building a club house at Thermal race tracks that used that technique.

I had built this thing so many times in my head that I had almost all the dimensions memorized.
The beam “sandwich” you are describing, I’m not exactly following. Could you dumb it down for a hillbilly like me, please?

Buy once, cry once.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Natural gas. Do you have a natural gas tank?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely incredible craftsmanship. Where's the grill and/or smokehouse?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent building skills!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Amazing skills.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Natural gas. Do you have a natural gas tank?

You cannot tank natural gas like you can propane. Propane is more dense/ heavier than natural gas. It's really cool that Diesel has natural gas "wells" on the property. Diesel, your whole cabin build is absolutely breath taking!!!!! Keep up the awesome thread!!!! Look forward to more pics of your handy work!!!!

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Deerhunter,

When you stand up an exterior studded wall it has a bottom plate and a top plate. A second top plate is added to lock in adjoining walls and strengthen the carrying capacity of what is usually where the trusses sit. By overlapping the joints of the first top plate you create rigidity.

In my case, after the second top plate was added, I then put the exposed beams in place resting them on that second top plate. On top of the beams and directly over the other top plates, I then did an additional two courses of plates creating the "beam sandwich". It is on top of that second layer of doubled plates that my trusses rest. The ceiling 1x12's are nailed to the top side of the beams inside the perimeter created by the second layer of double plates BEFORE the trusses are put in place.

The beams were set on 16" centers. They are 6" square beams that means there is a 10" space from the side of one beam to the one beside it. It is overkill to say the least, but it is the scale and appearance I was looking for.

It was a cheap solution to the beam application and had additional benefits. Easy to work on setting trusses as you are walking on a flat secure surface and extra strong side walls to carry trusses and handle snow loads. The beams cannot twist over time because the beams are locked in place. The only extra cost was for the second double course of top plates. Just as some people add an additional layer of block to the foundation wall to gain headroom in their basement, it was money well spent.

This was my own idea, but I would bet it has been used elsewhere.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nice build !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (10gaugemag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 264mag, 219DW, 17CalFan, 38 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,133
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.