Great post. Curious myself!

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by tylerw02

Measuring for runout should be reserved for setting up equipment or when making changes to process or used as a diagnostic tool. Measuring each and every round is time consuming and the effort won't show up on target.

That's a bit different than saying it doesn't matter. I don't measure every cartridge every time precisely because I know what a given batch of brass will do with a given set of dies with me as the operator.

Sounds as though we agree more than we disagree. But I will reiterate, unless it is TERRIBLE, it doesn't have much affect. Other factors affect precision of ammo more than runout. I've not seen 0.008" shoot noticeably worse than 0.001".

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
Yesterday evening I loaded up some rounds for a custom barreled 270 Winchester that I am working up loads for. About all I can get are Hornady SST bullets right now for my hunting needs.
After loading I checked all of the rounds on my Sinclair concentricity gauge and found a couple were .008” out when measured just in front of the connelure. I had a hard time believing the necks were crooked because I used the Lee Collet die so I then reset the gauge to measure the case necks.
They were all within .002”.
I am now thinking that the bullet seating die is the problem as I was using the Lee bullet seater and it only makes contact with the tip of the bullet rather than further down closer to the ogive. I am going to pull the bullets and reseat with a RCBS seater to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t then it has to be the bullet jacket being thicker on one side I would think.
What I don’t understand is how can the bullet be that far off center of axis and it not showing up when measuring the case neck?

I alluded to this earlier in the thread; bullets often have runout that can be measured independent of the cartridge. Especially cheaper bullets designed for hunting. But you're definitely right to suspect seaters as a potential problem or it could be seating process. How is the chamfer and deburr? How clean are your necks? Are they too clean? Did you use lube prior to seating...this could lead you down the rabbit hole of investing in an arbor press that gives you a measure of seating force.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see more runout after brass has been resized and shot a few times.For hunting I usually use once fired brass.The brass is soft and I see very low runout.I'll still see a few that will run over .005 and I separate those,but most run between .000-.003.Without annealing the brass,about the third or forth firing,I see more of the brass that was running .000-.003,running .005 or greater.I could be wrong,but it may be as the brass became harder,the bullet is harder to seat and may be the cause for more runout.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

GOA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

Measuring for runout should be reserved for setting up equipment or when making changes to process or used as a diagnostic tool. Measuring each and every round is time consuming and the effort won't show up on target.

That's a bit different than saying it doesn't matter. I don't measure every cartridge every time precisely because I know what a given batch of brass will do with a given set of dies with me as the operator.

Sounds as though we agree more than we disagree. But I will reiterate, unless it is TERRIBLE, it doesn't have much affect. Other factors affect precision of ammo more than runout. I've not seen 0.008" shoot noticeably worse than 0.001".

Couldn't agree more. A concentricity gauge can be valuable for fine tuning/troubleshooting your process but within reason, runout is not the problem in 99% of shooting.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I found that a good outside chamfer on the case mouth helps as much as a good inside chamfer. I get results I like with RCBS seating dies.
Your mileage may vary.....

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Copied and pasted from JB :

But one thing I've noted before about the Campfire (and other Internet sites) is most people want some simple answer for free--especially relative newbies, many of whom have never even bothered to purchase a current loading manual, or if they have, never read anything except the data for the cartridge(s) they plan to reload.

This with reloading and long range shooting have in common. Both take time and experience. and go together,. Bad reloads will not hold up over 8 or 900yds for consistency. Neither will bad shooting form. I have thirty years into both and learn something new and important all the time......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
The sizing die can induce neck runout no matter how good or expensive the brass is. The seater die can do the same thing with loaded rounds.

I know this is contrary, but I don’t measure neck wall thickness very much. Instead I size the fired cases and let the concentricity gauge tell me what brass is going to size straight. I’ve had cases measure a fair amount of neck wall variation and still size straight, and on more rare occasion have brass with tiny variation size crooked no matter what die I used.

Accuracy in smaller calibers like 6mm tend to be more sensitive to runout than larger calibers. I strive for .003 with my 243’s, .005 with my 30-06’s for example.

Factory bbls in a HUNTING rifle in say, a 243 don’t produce smaller groups at .001 vs .003, at least for me it doesn’t. Could be the shooter though. My 30 cal rifles I keep at ~.005, because lower runout generally doesn’t produce smaller groups either.

I’ve been spinning brass and loaded rounds on concentricity gauges for almost 30 years now, and unless it’s a custom bbl or full house custom rifle .003-.005 runout of a loaded round, depending on caliber, seems to be the threshold. Anything less doesn’t help. Could be my shooting though…. grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yesterday evening I loaded up some rounds for a custom barreled 270 Winchester that I am working up loads for. About all I can get are Hornady SST bullets right now for my hunting needs.
After loading I checked all of the rounds on my Sinclair concentricity gauge and found a couple were .008” out when measured just in front of the connelure. I had a hard time believing the necks were crooked because I used the Lee Collet die so I then reset the gauge to measure the case necks.
I am now thinking that the bullet seating die is the problem as I was using the Lee bullet seater and it only makes contact with the tip of the bullet rather than further down closer to the ogive. I am going to pull the bullets and reseat with a RCBS seater to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t then it has to be the bullet jacket being thicker on one side I would think.
What I don’t understand is how can the bullet be that far off center of axis and it not showing up when measuring the case neck?

I alluded to this earlier in the thread; bullets often have runout that can be measured independent of the cartridge. Especially cheaper bullets designed for hunting. But you're definitely right to suspect seaters as a potential problem or it could be seating process. How is the chamfer and deburr? How clean are your necks? Are they too clean? Did you use lube prior to seating...this could lead you down the rabbit hole of investing in an arbor press that gives you a measure of seating force.

What in the seating process could cause mis-alignment? As I stated, the necks are, at most, .002” run-out, and that is most likely due to a slight bulge common with the Lee Collet die. (Which I said I am using) or, it is from the case neck being slightly thicker since I do not turn my case necks. There is NO lube in or on the case neck, as I said I am using the Lee Collet die.
Chamfering the case mouth? I doubt it. They were chamfered after trimming and the SST bullets are boat-tails.

I pulled one of the bullets that was .008” out and re-seated it with my RCBS seater and it brought it down to .005” of runout. I am going to re-re-pull the same bullet, dump the powder and run it through the Collet die again, the reload it and see what happens.

Last edited by SoTexCurdog; 02/13/22.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

What in the seating process could cause mis-alignment? As I stated, the necks are, at most, .002” run-out, and that is most likely due to a slight bulge common with the Lee Collet die. (Which I said I am using) or, it is from the case neck being slightly thicker since I do not turn my case necks. There is NO lube in or on the case neck, as I said I am using the Lee Collet die.
Chamfering the case mouth? I doubt it. They were chamfered after trimming and the SST bullets are boat-tails.

I pulled one of the bullets that was .008” out and re-seated it with my RCBS seater and it brought it down to .005” of runout. I am going to re-re-pull the same bullet, dump the powder and run it through the Collet die again, the reload it and see what happens.

The seater could be shaped poorly for the type of bullet, or it could be making contact out of square. The further from the ogive, the greater the chance of misalignment. The chamfur/deburr could cause greater seating pressure which could cause inconsistency, as well. Lube in the case neck (or on the bullet) can reduce seating force and allow the seater's job to be a little easier. Lots of things can actually affect seating. I believe F-Class John, Winning in the Wind, Bolt Action Reloading, and a few others have demonstrated the effects of various phenomenon affecting seating.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When I'm loading for accuracy i check every piece of new brass on my lathe for runnout. There are bad pieces of brass in every lot. With Lapua, its typically 4 cases per box that i scrap.

Checking runout of loaded ammo just confirms that your process and components are good. I check the first couple and if they're good, i don't check any more that session.

Also, WHERE you check runout is as telling as anything

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

This is rising to the top as something that should be discussed further

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Indeed. I humbly submit that the proper place to check bullet runout is at the beginning of the ogive of the bullet in relation to the tip because, in theory, we want the bullet to contact the rifling uniformly. Furthermore, we should roll cartridges just below the shoulder and just above the un-sized portion of the body near the case-head.

Last edited by tylerw02; 02/13/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

GOA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Indeed. I humbly submit that the proper place to check bullet runout is at the beginning of the ogive of the bullet in relation to the tip because, in theory, we want the bullet to contact the rifling uniformly. Furthermore, we should roll cartridges just below the shoulder and just above the un-sized portion of the body near the case-head.

Originally Posted by Mr_TooDogs
[Linked Image]

To build upon these two posts - there are two spots where, if we measure runout, will give us a complete picture of what we are working with? Should we consider averaging the two data points or just mentally compare them to gain understanding of the overall quality of an individual cartridge?

To me, it’s good to understand how different variables correlate. This is, to me, defining a particular element of an overall equation. Correct me if I’m off base.

I guess those who light this fuse can determine how far it burns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My gauge has two 0.375 dia balls at case head, two 0.3125" dia dowl pins that shoulder index on.

Vertical dowl pin where case head indexes against. Indicator tip just forward of junction of bullet body diameter where ogive intersects. Works for me.

Last edited by Mr_TooDogs; 02/13/22.

GOA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I have done just that to check my sizing die setup.

Pints,
The sliding sleeve seater dies will generally seat bullets the straightest.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Without annealing the brass,about the third or forth firing,I see more of the brass that was running .000-.003,running .005 or greater.I could be wrong,but it may be as the brass became harder,the bullet is harder to seat and may be the cause for more runout.

Glad you brought up annealing and straight ammo, I too anneal around third to fifth firing because brass usually sizes straighter and bullets seat straighter.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 02/13/22.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have started annealing every firing. Doing the same thing every time lends itself to consistency.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 10Glocks, 808outdoors, 21, 1973cb450, 12 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 690 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.