Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
This question is directed at Trad hunters who have experience hunting Whitetail with a recurve and shots of not much more than 20 yards or so. Which one would you use?

My Red Wing Hunter likes two arrows that shoot equally well. It's 45# but I draw 27 so probably a couple pounds less.

Black Eagle Vintage 600 spine at 11 gpp and total weight of 477g and a speed of 170 fps with a 150 grain point.
Back Eagle Vintage 500 spine at 12.8 gpp and total weight of 544 grains but only 160 fps with a 200 grain point.
Both have similar forward of center (FOC) weight. Both are 28 inches. The heavier arrow may be a little quieter but I can't really tell much difference.

Given that they both shoot equally accurate when I do my part, which would you recommend for deer? Given the low velocity of these arrows, how much should I worry about string jumping, etc. Please keep in mind I'm talking 20 yards or less....Thanks

"an armed society is a polite society"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
in the old days and now days for my son we both have used aluminum 2219 arrows and the broadhead was a Zwickey Delta or Eskimo that must be hand sharpened , there is no real speed with a recurve so arrow weight is more consistent accuracy and arrow penetration . good luck, Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'd go with the 477 just because of draw weight. But wouldn't worry about using either.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd lean towards more weight.
Penetration being the biggest need for a recurve.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For all of my bows I try to get my arrows in the 10 grains per pound of actual draw weight. After 30 years of doing this, it is what I have settled on. Nothing new, as when I started I was told 8-12gr/lb was a good range.

So I would go with the 477gr arrow, put it in the right spot and notch your tag.

Jumping the string can be an issue no matter what arrow you pick.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The lower the bow's poundage, the higher the grains per pound of arrow should be. Penetration.

Quiet should be the biggest goal. Not speed.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WTM45
The lower the bow's poundage, the higher the grains per pound of arrow should be. Penetration.

Quiet should be the biggest goal. Not speed.

yep

I was amazed how many pass throughs I would get shooting a 50 lb long bow with heavy arrows. It shot so quiet I sometimes would get a second shot and animals would hardly react to being hit

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I do all my bowhunting with a #51 longbow. Heavy arrows = momentum and penetration. I've always shot a 2 blade broadhead. Formerly Zwickeys, but now Grizzly single bevel heads. To answer your question, shoot the heavier arrow, especially since you're trying to shoot at longer distances.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In the 'old days', a good rule of thumb was to shoot 9 - 10 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight which should be just as good of advice today. Either will work fine for you but I personally would lean towards 477 grain arrow...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot super heavy arrows for years and now days I’m coming down in arrow weight. I’m liking a little flatter trajectories these days so would probably shoot the 477 we’re I in your shoes. Nothing wrong with the heavier ones though…

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
I shot super heavy arrows for years and now days I’m coming down in arrow weight. I’m liking a little flatter trajectories these days so would probably shoot the 477 we’re I in your shoes. Nothing wrong with the heavier ones though…

My experience is similar - used to shoot Ash shafts that made a 600+ grain arrow out of a mid-50's draw weight longbow. They zip right through a deer and keep on going, but a little lighter arrow is easier for me to shoot at varying distances due to the noticeably flatter trajectory, even at 20 yards. I currently shoot longbows in the 50-55 lb range with arrows either side of 500 grains and really like that combination.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FOC has certainly helped with penetration.

I have shot heavy ash and hickory shafts also, but have moved away from them. IMO the combination of high FOC and skinny carbon shafts has increased penetration also. So much so, that I switched to three blade heads because my two blades were zipping right through deer so fast I could not really believe it. Now my three blades are zipping right through, unless I hit something hard on the offside.

As far as bow noise, a heavier arrow certainly helps. So does a properly tuned bow, properly tuned arrow, and properly constructed string.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Agreed - lately, I've been shooting more carbons with heavier point weight for higher FOC. I still shoot wood shafts but not as much. I currently have 3 blade VPA's mounted on my hunting arrows, but haven't killed anything with them yet.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will really like the VPA's. They are expensive, but he!! for stout. I have one that has been through a couple of turkeys and half a dozen deer.

I got tired of throw away broadheads after you kill something. Bent/chipped blades and ferrules.

I forgot to mention that my hunting bows are in the 50-55 pound range at my 29.5 inch draw.

A couple more things about noise. Solid broadheads and smaller fletching also reduce arrow noise. Vented broadheads tend to whistle and most of us have heard the noise big fletching makes. Think flu flu arrows.

My theory on arrow noise is this. When a fly buzzes your ear, or you catch something flying towards you out of the corner of your eye. What is your reaction? You have an immediate instinctive reaction. Just like deer "jumping" the string.

Last edited by CRS; 02/15/22.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
480 to 540gr.
FOC around 20%
Carbons w 4" parabolic.
COC heads.

Across 4 diff bows. Worked fine.

Since my new bow is a little less draw weight, may need to tweak. New limbs have more preload than old and are FF rated so might not need much.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/15/22.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
And I get bullet holes in papertune.
Gotta have great tune/ arrow flight.
Seen too many w trad running crappy setups.

Like trad is an excuse for bad tune or shooting.

Nope.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
And I get bullet holes in papertune.
Gotta have great tune/ arrow flight.
Seen too many w trad running crappy setups.

Like trad is an excuse for bad tune or shooting.

Nope.

+1
Or form

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I am in the heavy arrow camp. 51# black widow recurve. I think my arrows are in the 550 grain range.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I tended to shoot heavy arrows because I draw 32 and needed more spine weight. I think the most important though is the arrows need to be tuned well. I shot aluminum. many switched to carbon for traditional because they recover quickly after release.
When I first started bowhunting. I just bought some arrows. Didn't know about tuning and arrow flight. I could put the broadhead in a deers ribs but the arrow was not straight on impact. got very little penetration and lost deer. Gave up for years Decided to get back into it and did a lot of reading and research. The right arrow spine and tuned arrow that recovers quickly and flys true will penetrate well. with a sharp broadhead. The last ones I killed zipped right through the deer.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I gotta make a Kydex offset to get hood up higher
But this 46# rig will be pushing around 530gr arrows.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,304
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.