Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m in the market for a “Bay Boat” and I’m leaning to either a 22’ or 24’ foot boat.
We will mainly house and use at Pickwick Lake, the TVA put in a Dam on the Tennessee River creating 411 miles of shoreline, secondary use will be off the coast of Louisiana and the Gulf side in Florida.
My definition of a Bay Boat is a center console and in the design of a Tide Water Bay boat with ample room to walk and be able to fish and land fish in the front part of the boat. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

GB2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You may want to look at Everglades. They were founded by principles from the Boston Whaler boat works. The Everglades, like the BW do not sink. An important feature to me. They make a Bay Boat in the sizes you are looking for. Their prices are reasonable for what they offer and you can pick up used ones for good prices. When we were thinking about moving to Sandestin, we looked at these builders in the 35' range. The 25' Bay boats have a single or dual engine choice. The 255CC will run around $180,000 for dual 200 Yamaha's. They don't lose much value yr to yr, because they are so well made.

Good luck.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Check out the Sea Pros, they were one of the first in the bay boat field and some of their older SV series boats are still very much sought after. Their new boats are very well constructed and detailed and available for a reasonable price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an aluminum Lowe Bay 20. It sounds like it isn’t in the same category as some of the big fiberglass bay boats mentioned above. Mine is similar to the 2110 bay max. I fish big southern impoundments and the Arkansas River and associated impoundments. That being said, it handles the water I use it in just fine and has a very shallow draft. I think the really large models (I looked at some of the big tidewater boats you mentioned) are geared more toward nearshore use. I mostly bass fish and the boat is similar to a bass boat, whereas some of the deeper V models would likely be cumbersome to bass fish out of. I would base my pick on what I planned on doing most. FWIW, mine pulls a tube just fine with a 115 Merc on the back. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by K1500; 03/17/21.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
My experience is similar to your projected use. I used an Aquasport 222 (22’) Center Console with twin outboards on Smith Lake, North of Birmingham, and out of Destin, FL for 19 years. We could haul the whole family, camp, ski, dive, fish, etc. Even though every boat is a compromise, it was a great choice for us. From the salt marshes to 50-60 miles offshore (on a good day), it worked well. In those days (late 70s- early 90s) the engines were not as reliable, so I thought I needed 2. I did have to come in on one engine twice in the 19 years I kept the boat.

I trailered it for the occasional fishing trips to Louisiana, Alabama, or Florida for trout and Redfish, King Mackerel, Mahi, and Snapper. We dove all over the Florida Keys with it, day and night. My Son and I did a 10 day camping trip from Branford FL down the Suwannee River to Suwannee FL, out into the Gulf, then to Crystal River, Homosassa, and back to Branford.

We now use a 24” Skeeter Bay boat with a single 200 HP Yamaha. Use is the same, but it rides better, is faster, and seems better suited to what we like to do. It’s in the middle Keys now, but will be using it and then bringing it back up in April.

The nice part about it is you can change your mind. Good Luck in your search.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My boat is a Shoalwater Cat, but it sounds like that Skeeter or a Pathfinder would be about right for your needs, especially if you intend to go offshore any. They are both very popular with the other guides who stay in deeper water than me.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Check out the Cayman series bay boats by Robalo. I bought the smallest one (206S - 20') last June and have been quite happy with it, running a 150 HP Yamaha. I live just off the ICW and have lots of skinny water to deal with, the 10" draft is nice and the boat is quite smooth running in rougher water.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The center console Grady Whites are the best hull and workmanship I’ve seen in the 22 to 24’ size.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharecropper
I’m in the market for a “Bay Boat” and I’m leaning to either a 22’ or 24’ foot boat...

Surely you know what your budget is?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you get the boat be sure to have Bennett trim tabs installed. IMO it is the best aftermarket device you can have on a boat that will be in the waters you intend to frequent.

My 19 ft center console is 37 yrs old and has Bennett trim tabs. While it is smaller than what you have in mind, this tiny boat has had some exceptional adventures. Wouldn't have considered many trips without the extra control of trim tabs. Has been across Lake Ontario from Rochester NY to Cobourg Canada, from Wahweap to Bullfrog on Powell during thunderstorms, crossed Lake Pend Oreille from Garfield bay to the Monarchs with some wicked waves, and has been as far as Tortuga Island from San Carlos Mexico.

Imagine what a 22-24 foot boat so equipped could do!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Friend of mine has a 21' Parker center console. Little heavier than most but its great to fish out of.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I’m a Sea Fox dealer. I have a few of their center consoles in stock. I’d be happy to chat with you about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One thing to consider is how shallow do you want or need to get. Here in SWFL a good bay boat is one that can fish in a foot of water or can take a pretty good chop out in the sound. Its a boat between a flats skiff and a your basic center console fishing boat.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you question is regarding size as the title states, I would purchase the largest size you can afford and don't let your dealer talk you into underpowering it. I've owned 3 bay boats and the 1st of which was underpowered. 22-24' is the perfect bay boat range. Keep in mind all of the extras you want as well as they add up quickly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fished out of a 22 Boston Whaler Outrage for 20 years. Bought it new in 1987. Always wished I would have bought a 25 footer. As mentioned above buy a little bigger than you think you need. And don’t under power. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
The center console Grady Whites are the best hull and workmanship I’ve seen in the 22 to 24’ size.

I see Gradys frequently in the salt. Damn fine boats.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here’s another option. Heavy gauge welded aluminum hull with a center console (an option not in the pic, but you can visualize). It will draft in shallower water, lighter than fiberglass to tow, and requires less motor to push, are configurable to whatever you plan on doing that day, and cost less overall. Con is they can ride a little rougher/stiffer. But, these are really popular up here in the NW.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 07/04/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
Here’s another option. Heavy gauge welded aluminum hull with a center console (an option not in the pic, but you can visualize). It will draft in shallower water, lighter than fiberglass to tow, and requires less motor to push, are configurable to whatever you plan on doing that day, and cost less overall. Con is they can ride a little rougher/stiffer. But, these are really popular up here in the NW.

I love my willie Predator, very similar to the boat in the pic, but there's no way I'd want an aluminum boat in the South. It would be like sitting in a frying pan all day.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

I love my willie Predator, very similar to the boat in the pic, but there's no way I'd want an aluminum boat in the South. It would be like sitting in a frying pan all day.

Could be. I take mine to eastern Washington in the summer and it will stay between 95 and 105. I can’t say I ever noticed it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
624 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.