Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It's confirmed. Both shoulders are shot. I've spent 35 years buying and selling rifles. Now I feel like a junky who has to give up the pipe.
I set my son up with his needs for life or I'm getting him what he needs but wow.

This isn't a for sale post. I'm just venting. I bought myself a 10mm going to give that a go but I can't even straighten both arms.
SUCKS

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw the audiologist this week. He said profound hearing loss in my left ear. I'm thinking that means it's finally time to invest in a few suppressors. I always was good about using hearing protection. I'd like to get as much use out of the remaining right ear as possible so it's time to adapt.

Have you ever tried a muzzle break with say a .223?

Please don't feed the trolls!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I saw the audiologist this week. He said profound hearing loss in my left ear. I'm thinking that means it's finally time to invest in a few suppressors. I always was good about using hearing protection. I'd like to get as much use out of the remaining right ear as possible so it's time to adapt.

Have you ever tried a muzzle break with say a .223?

Right handed shooter: usually the left ear goes bad. Sorry to hear this guys. My hearing is shot in my right ear. Been that way for many years. Even when I was young. Constant ringing. I was 23 years old and signing a waiver saying my hearing was so bad that the company I worked for was not responsible. Shot a lot in my younger years without hearing protection. Killed a lot of chit, including my right ear.. I'm just a "paper puncher" though ha ha ha ha.. So, for the OP, can you shoot a lesser recoiling rifle? Hunt and shoot a 223 rem? Don't give up entirely man..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had (2) shoulder surgeries and I thought I would never be able to shoot again. Well I still can but I did get rid of my big boomers. I still have a 280AI because it shoots so well that I can not make myself part with it, other than that, 270 Win. is about as big as I have anymore. I still shoot sporting clays with a 12 ga but with reduced loads.
You most likely can still enjoy shooting, just have to change your focus a little bit.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was in the “no more recoil” group, I’d get an AR in something 6mm/6.5mm and give it a soft pad and maybe a brake/can. I’ve put a handful of cans in jail this past year, as my hearing is fading.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a bad right shoulder, a bad left elbow, as well as the left shoulder too, and I've had hearing loss and constant ringing in my ears for 30 years. I can't stand a lot of recoil, have to hold my guns a certain way or risk dropping them. I have helped my situation somewhat by going to lighter weight rifles and by shooting cartridges that have as little amount of recoil as possible.

I cannot imagine having to give my long guns up, and I'd go to great lengths to prevent that from happening. I wish the OP a lot of luck as he deals with his situation.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I'm definitely a +1 on the go smaller category. Got a bad shoulder and neck myself, so I sold off all the bigger stuff, and retooled the collection with smaller, light recoiling cartridges several years ago.

300 Blackout, 6.5 Grendel, 6ARC, 250 Savage, 30-30/303 Sav with light bullets, and most handgun cartridge rifles (with the exception of the larger bore magnums) are a blast to shoot without beating yourself up when you pull the trigger.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I too wish the OP the best of luck in his situation.
I would look at a 6mmBR or if I were looking at an AR platform like was suggested above, I think I might look at a 6 ARC.
I have a 223 bolt gun that I really like and shoot it way more than my AR so that could be an option as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
You guys thought about buying air guns ?

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
I've got 4 air rifles 😉

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I hear ya. I've got 1, perhaps 2 more cape buffalo hunts left in me and then the Doc is gonna insist I gotta give it up.

Are there any particularly scary prairie dog towns I could start prepping for?

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn't feel I was missing out if I hunted the rest of my days with a 250 Savage. Can your shoulder handle that?

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
If recoil is a problem , use reduced loads. To save money (use less powder) ! I bought Shooters World Heavy Pistol ( Accurate #9 , 2400 ). Take cast bullet info and use jacketed bullets. In 30 cal I use 200 grn lead data and use a 130 or 150 jacketed bullet. Recoil is like a gallery gun. (308 24 grns and a 130 bullet.)

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I feel for you! I don’t know any long term possibilities for shooting “after” a shoulder replacement......but, is that a possibility?

I hope that I never face that issue....but, it is a concern!

Good Luck......hopefully you can get your shoulder issue fixed and go back to shooting your rifles! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I do have a couple 6.8 AR's and a Model 70 in .223. Alot of my problem is I can't straighten my arms. I'm going to try one of these one handed off a rest and see how it goes.
Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Screw that.

I'm in the .223 with a brake/air rifle camp, or learn the joys of the roller delayed MP-5.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/10/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rifleman1st
I do have a couple 6.8 AR's and a Model 70 in .223. Alot of my problem is I can't straighten my arms. I'm going to try one of these one handed off a rest and see how it goes.
Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

Sorry to hear this. As I edge into the Golden Years I too take note of my infirmities and adjust my shooting accordingly. If you don't mind my asking, what led to the wrecked shoulders, so I may act accordingly to forestall it happening to me?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Screw that.

I'm in the .223 with a brake/air rifle camp, or learn the joys of the roller delayed MP-5.

Yeah, it would be damn hard to give up shooting huh buddy. I gave up competitive trap shooting because of an injury to my left eye, but I'd be damned if I gave up my rifle shooting!!!! I hope the op all the best and hopefully he can get the arms to work better. Maybe with physical therapy or shoot more from the bench where it would not require a lot of effort to shoot...Hell, that would be my physical therapy!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had open heart surgery in July of 2020, 4 bypasses. Dr. told me I could not shoot a gun for 12 weeks after the surgery. I prevailed on a knowledgeable friend as to what I could do because opening day of dee season was about 10 days before my 12 weeks was up. A 300 Ham'r AR with 110 bullets solved the problem, loaded some up , took my warden (wife) with me to the range to let her shoot some rounds to check recoil. I got the green light from her. Opening morning shot a nice 6 pt with it. I am not a big AR fan but it saved my hunting that season with no brakes, no suppressor..

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Rifleman1st
It's confirmed. Both shoulders are shot. I've spent 35 years buying and selling rifles. Now I feel like a junky who has to give up the pipe.
I set my son up with his needs for life or I'm getting him what he needs but wow.

This isn't a for sale post. I'm just venting. I bought myself a 10mm going to give that a go but I can't even straighten both arms.
SUCKS

To OP, I go under knife for shoulder replacement in 2 weeks, all my research and questions to doctors and others who’ve had surgery is my rifle shooting days aren’t over. The big bores are, but my plan is to start with 22 rim when doc clears and work my way up in recoil. 20-25 ft-lbs recoil seems to be limit from what most say, a few go bigger, most lighter. But I’m thinking .308 is my goal.
Talk to others, get with a good surgeon before completely writing off something you enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 11point, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 87 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.