Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I acquired a Ruger Wrangler today in a trade deal.

Seems pretty cool at first look and feel. Kinda is what it is with a little single action at its price.

Had my wife paint the front blade fluorescent green with some finger nail polish.

Maybe I can hit a gong with it at about 10 yards…lol

Last edited by D_Dial; 02/13/22. Reason: Spell
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Friend of mine has a couple. Seem pretty decent for the $ , local shop had them for $179 keep thinking im going to stop by and pick one up. But i already have a couple of Single sixes and Mark 1 and 2 so my 22 pistol needs are pretty well covered

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
i have both the original 4.75” ruger wrangler plowhandle grip and the recent 3.5” birdshead grip models. the wranglers are clearly better than the heritage roughrider. $179 new is a good deal, can’t have too many 22lr plinkers imho.

D_Dial Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Yeah I agree can’t have to many plinkers..
Tons of info on the Net about the wranglers. Seems most folks are happy with their purchase..

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Ran across a silver one at a local pawn shop the other day, marked 139, looked brand new. Tempting, but I already have two. Great guns for the money, I want a birdshead.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I like mine. Local dealer let me check a bunch of them ‘til I found one a bit tighter on the barrel/cylinder gap than most. Perhaps lucky, but mine shoots exactly to point of aim. Closest I can come to a complaint is how stiff the loading gate spring is but that wouldn’t be awfully hard to fix. I’ve got plenty of better/more expensive.22’s but am more than satisfied with this for the money. Lighter than my single six.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I like mine. Local dealer let me check a bunch of them ‘til I found one a bit tighter on the barrel/cylinder gap than most. Perhaps lucky, but mine shoots exactly to point of aim. Closest I can come to a complaint is how stiff the loading gate spring is but that wouldn’t be awfully hard to fix. I’ve got plenty of better/more expensive.22’s but am more than satisfied with this for the money. Lighter than my single six.

I picked up a couple of these shooters and have been well pleased with them in general. I had one where the cylinder was rubbing on the frame at the back of the frame and called Ruger. In just a couple of days they had sent out a replacement cylinder for it. Unfortunately, the problem was with the casting of the frame and it required a wee bit of file work on the back face of the frame and the loading gate. It now works better but still doesn't spin as free as the other shooter.

I have found my barrel/cylinder gap to be very very good and the accuracy is above expectations.

I bought the first one, black, when they first came out and got it for $179 less an instore sale of 10% off. The second one was $199 and now I see them selling for up to $219 for some of the crazy colors.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We have both a Wrangler and Single Six in the house. Both are accurate and function pretty much the same. Mine will both shoot between 1"-1.5" offhand at 25 yards with good ammo (CCI standard) if I focus on sight picture and trigger control and have good shooting light. I have not shot either of them from a rest of any sort. I ran a couple hundred thousand rounds through my first Single Six so know and like the platform. For $200, the Wrangler is hard to beat.

Last edited by DesertMuleDeer; 02/25/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You'd have to be 537 years old to run a few hundred thousand rounds through a Single six.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike78
You'd have to be 537 years old to run a few hundred thousand rounds through a Single six.

Got me laughing man. I haven't shot a 100,000 rounds all calibers combined, but I'm only 44.

Romans 5:1
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey

Got me laughing man. I haven't shot a 100,000 rounds all calibers combined, but I'm only 44.

You're misquoting. I did not say a few hundred thousand rounds. I said a couple hundred thousand rounds.

My dad bought a 5.5" stainless Single Six for me in 1982. Interestingly enough, the dealer he bought it from turned out to be a serial killer.

Back in those days Best Buy in Lubbock would run specials on the good Winchester Super X for $.99 per box, and we would load up every time they did. Over the next 15 or so years, I shot 15,000-20,000 per year many of those years. Eventually the gun went out of time because of use, and I got rid of it. In hindsight, Ruger would've probably rebuilt it. I would love to have it back. That gun was with me a lot from early elementary school until around the time I was in college.

I would guess the gun had a 150,00-200,000 through it by the time I sold it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It’s possible. I have a browning B-80 12ga that I know has a quarter million rounds through it. Bird herding rice adds up.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Stix
It’s possible. I have a browning B-80 12ga that I know has a quarter million rounds through it. Bird herding rice adds up.

It was a joke, mostly because it takes 5 minutes to load/fire/extract 6 rounds in a Single Six.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

It was a joke, mostly because it takes 5 minutes to load/fire/extract 6 rounds in a Single Six.

Oh. Went over my head. One gets quicker after shooting a couple thousand rounds per month for a few months!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer

Oh. Went over my head. One gets quicker after shooting a couple thousand rounds per month for a few months!

You'd have to if you ever wanted to sleep or get laid.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

And these days a millionaire…

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348

And these days a millionaire…

It's sad, isn't it. I remember all too well stopping at the hardware store and buying a couple of 50rd boxes of 22 ammo as a kid for pocket change.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mine just crapped the cot. Something inside broke in two the last time I tried to shoot the thing. I wasn't happy with it anyway, as it didn't shoot to the sights. WAY OFF, in fact. I won't miss it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Mine's proven well enough that when I'm plinking off the deck at soup cans on the 50 yard dirt pile I don't blame the gun for misses.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I held a birdshead one for the first time last week, sure felt good.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,515 guests, and 939 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.