Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Keith[/quote]
It is a game changer, indeed. You'll wonder what to do with all the spare time that you used to spend cleaning barrels for hours on end.[/quote]

Yep! Which has been one of my major points ever since first trying it, which from my shooting notes was in 2007--back when it was still gray instead of clear. Did you ever use any of the gray stuff, Jordan?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by keith
DBC must be a Game changer, and very soon I will be all over it.

The mind is like a Parachute, has to be open to work properly, I hope I never quit learning.

Thank you for your help with the DBC, I have been reading about your using it for a while now, just need to jump on the band wagon.

Keith

It is a game changer, indeed. You'll wonder what to do with all the spare time that you used to spend cleaning barrels for hours on end.

Just like the Sun rising in the morning you know JS will be all about DBC.........

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sort of the way you'll surely rail against three groove barrels, and me against putting ice in sipping whiskey. grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by mathman
Sort of the way you'll surely rail against three groove barrels, and me against putting ice in sipping whiskey. grin

That's exactly right....... wink

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Brushes-
nylon brush w/ 320 grit silicon carbide lapping compound applied to a 2" round patch for smooth bore shotgun barrels assisted w/ a cordless drill motor...followed by a wet patch of solvent...followed by a patch of oils....5 minutes DONE.

bronze brush in handgun barrels....coppered...out comes the silicon carbide lapping compound on a patch & jag.

Keith-
Most will never comprehend.

Each barrel shoots different, each barrel cleans different....of same lot...cut w/ same chamber reamer.

90% of the available products...are SNAKE OILS.

Test you foaming shaving cream that camo's copper & does NOT remove it.

Most would be better off using WD40 & Windex to clean bores.

Those who pull a boot lace thru said bores & are satisfied.....good luck...a carbon donut will surface in short order.

Any imperfections in any bore are heat risers/carbon/copper traps...like a pot hole in the road & will NEVER iron out..NEVER..even if lapped or fire lapped.

Carbon under copper will collect moisture & corrode/pit any barrel.

Test-
Take your favorite SNAKE OIL & pour some in a small glass jar w/ enough to cover a jacketed projectile.
Mic & weigh a projectile.
Drop said projectile in your favorite SNAKE OIL.
Allpy an air tight lid on jar.
Annotate particulars on a piece of masking tape and fix/stick it on the jar.
7 days later...inspect said SNAKE OIL to ascertain IF it has changed color or etched said projectile.
80-90% of SNAKE OILS will go months w/o a witness of etching the jacket let alone turning blue from the ammonia eroding the copper from said jacket.

All verified in the Arctic & w/a Gradient Lens Bore scope from decades of .....TESTING....EVALUATING.....

Last edited by DANS40XC; 02/13/22.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please name a few non-snake oils.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I know this is an old read but, it does show how many opinions there are on rifle cleaning and “bronze” brushes. It makes one’s head spin.

https://www.6mmbr.com/borebrushing.html

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

It is a game changer, indeed. You'll wonder what to do with all the spare time that you used to spend cleaning barrels for hours on end.

Yep! Which has been one of my major points ever since first trying it, which from my shooting notes was in 2007--back when it was still gray instead of clear. Did you ever use any of the gray stuff, Jordan?

John,

I don’t recall if my first bottle was clear or gray, but they changed to the clear formula right about the time I started using it a bunch. It used to come in the clear, plastic containers, but it dried out quicker than necessary in the plastic bottles so they went to aluminum. I remember the gray stuff used to stain stocks and stuff, so it came with a warning.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by keith
DBC must be a Game changer, and very soon I will be all over it.

The mind is like a Parachute, has to be open to work properly, I hope I never quit learning.

Thank you for your help with the DBC, I have been reading about your using it for a while now, just need to jump on the band wagon.

Keith

Just like the Sun rising in the morning you know JS will be all about DBC.........

And why wouldn’t I be? I tend to like stuff that simply works and makes my life easier.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[[/quote]
I don’t recall if my first bottle was clear or gray, but they changed to the clear formula right about the time I started using it a bunch. It used to come in the clear, plastic containers, but it dried out quicker than necessary in the plastic bottles so they went to aluminum. I remember the gray stuff used to stain stocks and stuff, so it came with a warning.[/quote]

I started playing with DBC toward the end of the gray era. It was interesting, because while effective it wasn't particularly pleasing to the eye, especially if you got it on a stock. I also knew a few people who installed DBC who got some the gray stuff inside the chamber as well as the bore, and complained about it. But chamber-slop was easily removed with a bore brush of the right size, since it didn't "cure" like DBC in the bore. (I also suggested such people put an empty case in the chamber when installing....)

They went to the clear formula and aluminum bottles maybe two years, at most, after that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,124
Posts18,464,622
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.