Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
A local shop has one that is prob in 90%+ shape in 30-30 that they are asking $690 for. You guys think it's worth that? That's one of the least expensive ones I've seen lately. I would rather have a lever in .44 mag but no way I'm spending a grand or so to get one. The only flaws I see on it are a few handling marks on the stock and forearm. The finish is still intact, just a few small "dents" in the wood. Still wearing the Simmons scope and has the sling. It's a consignment and I may could get it a little less.
I was at the local gun show this weekend, which is the largest show in SC, and the prices there were ridiculous to me. Seems like the least expensive 30-30 lever I saw was a well worn one for like $750. No, thank you.
Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A common 336 is not worth almost $700; they have never been worth that. Unfortunately, the market is supporting insane prices right now. It's like throwing steak at wolves to keep them from eating you.

All you have to decide is if that rifle is worth it to you.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thanks for the reply. Based on prices just a couple of years ago, I would agree. I just wonder if the prices will ever come back down. I know it's like forecasting the stock market, but if the general consensus is that prices probably won't come down but may increase... I would surely rather find one for like $4-500 but so far have not had any luck. It's not like I don't have any other rifles to shoot, either, but I have always like the old lever actions and would like to add one to my stash. Whatever I buy I will take out and shoot. No safe queens, thank you. If I want to see purty I'll just look at my wife. :-D

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before Trump was elected, AR's were going for stupid prices. After he was elected, they dropped to around 500 for M&P15s. Of course everybody and his uncle makes ARs and only 'real' Marlin made lever actions with a JM stamp. There won't be anymore, so JMs bring a premium and I look for it to increase. Speaking personally here, I'd pay 600-700 for a real Marlin before I'd give Ruger 1000+ for a reconstituted one.

i seem to recall the AW as a 336 with matte metal, cheaper wood and sights. Personally I'd hold out for a pre-safety with better finish and wood.

Last edited by SargeMO; 02/15/22.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They are out there Bought a 1969 model 336 for $500 last week It came with 3 boxes of Winchester Ammo a scout scope and rail. Sold the scout scope and rail for $200 Put the original sights back on it (original owner kept them when he went scout scope direction) Cleaned her up added leupold bar low matte split rings and a vx2 1-4x20 and good to go Not bad for $300 for an old war horse in 85%-90% condition

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You kicked ass on that deal, Live2hunt.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D

Exactly what I'm thinking, Sarge. It's not like I'm out there 10 hours a day every day on the hunt but I haven't run across a deal like that. Glad for him that he did and hope I do one day before too long, too!

SPK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dang Live2, you stole that. Although, I have quite a few Marlins and never paid more than $350 for any of them, except a 45/70. However, I ain’t bought one in 7 years either. Not sure I could bite the bullet and pay the gettin’ price nowadays. I hate it for the folks just getting into Marlins and levers in general. Tough times for all firearm buyers, IMO.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you can find an entry level plastic bolt gun in any store, it’s a better practical deal. If you want a Marlin more than another rifle, practical advice has no place in the conversation

Last edited by mogwai; 03/06/22.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by mogwai
If you can find an entry level plastic bolt gun in any store, it’s a better practical deal. If you want a Marlin more than another rifle, practical advice has no place in the conversation

True, that and I have indeed bought 3 of them in the last year. I've just always kind of liked lever guns but never owned one. As almost always, i have waited too late to get in the game.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

I'm thinking prices will start to drop once our present economic situation takes firm hold. While it has been going on for awhile it will really kick in as fuel prices go higher. The only issue might be is if YOU have any extra money to spend on a toy...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am planning on going to the Tulsa show next weekend and see what I can see but to be honest, I bet there are not going to be many (if any) in good shape below the $700 mark. I hope I am wrong.....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by old_boots

I'm thinking prices will start to drop once our present economic situation takes firm hold. While it has been going on for awhile it will really kick in as fuel prices go higher. The only issue might be is if YOU have any extra money to spend on a toy...

I think that people are going to pay high prices for New Haven Marlins for awhile yet.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Who knows what the future will hold as far a pricing. If it’s the condition you are happy with and a price you are comfortable with then don’t hesitate and end your search and move on to enjoying it.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The older I get, the more I realize it’s way-wiser to shell-out the additional two or three hundred on something I REALLY want, than to leave the money in the bank in order to leave a larger inheritance…

😎

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Old_Crab
The older I get, the more I realize it’s way-wiser to shell-out the additional two or three hundred on something I REALLY want, than to leave the money in the bank in order to leave a larger inheritance…

😎

Smart man

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Went to the Tulsa show and lever actions of any kind were high. Some were a hair shy of $1000 but there were a lot over that mark as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Had a table at a large gun show here in northern Michigan Saturday guy walking around with a very nice 60s Marlin 30-30 offered it to me for $600 I've replied aren't those things going for 1,200 now he said yeah you would think he said dealers were only offering him four and 450 I almost bought it just to try to flip but wish him luck and send him on his way. If it was a 35 I'd have bought it for myself.

Last edited by saddlering; 04/04/22.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by saddlering
Had a table at a large gun show here in northern Michigan Saturday guy walking around with a very nice 60s Marlin 30-30 offered it to me for $600 I've replied aren't those things going for 1,200 now he said yeah you would think he said dealers were only offering him four and 450 I almost bought it just to try to flip but wish him luck and send him on his way. If it was a 35 I'd have bought it for myself.

If I may ask, what does being 35 vs your age now have to do with buying it, unless you're too old to shoot it? I would have bought that in a skinny minute if it was really nice. I did just buy a Henry Big Boy X in 44 mag to swap out with my nephew. He has a Marlin 44 that he wants to trade. He would rather take the plastic gun out in the woods to beat around than the wood stock JM. I would 10 to 1 rather have the '70s Marlin. To each his own.
I own several plastic guns but somehow a plastic lever gun is not appealing.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Dukester
Originally Posted by saddlering

If I may ask, what does being 35 vs your age now have to do with buying it, unless you're too old to shoot it? I would have bought that in a skinny minute if it was really nice. I did just buy a Henry Big Boy X in 44 mag to swap out with my nephew. He has a Marlin 44 that he wants to trade. He would rather take the plastic gun out in the woods to beat around than the wood stock JM. I would 10 to 1 rather have the '70s Marlin. To each his own.
I own several plastic guns but somehow a plastic lever gun is not appealing.

He said if it was a 35 he would have bought it. Meaning if it (the Marlin) was a 35 Remington he would have bought it. He said nothing about age.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,219
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.