Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
xarcher Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
X
I bought a 3' landscape rake from a guy on CL today. New in box. For 1/2 of what they sell for in the big box stores. And as best I could tell there were more in the bed of his pickup still in original box. Got to thinking.... He probably could return them to place of purchase for more than what I paid him. Assuming they were purchased of course. Have no way of knowing for sure they were hot, but ya gotta wonder.

By the way, the post is still up on CL 3 hours after I bought it.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
To answer the thread title.............. NO!

Karma is a bitch & even if I didn't steel it, if I buy something I suspect is hot I feel I'm inviting stealing. That might include, me, being the next victim.

In short, I hate a fuggin thief, & if I suspect them of it I ask that they GTF away from me.

But sometimes we don't know if the item is hot. But if it don't feel right ??????????

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Don’t buy anything I suspect as being stolen. I hate a thief.
Uncle always told me if you knew someone was a thief ask them so they’d lie, So they’d go to hell twice as quick.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No, try to be very careful. If the price is too good, maybe stolen.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have been offered the opportunity to buy things, mostly tools and construction equipment, that I strongly suspected were stolen. I always pass on anything suspicious, and have called the police a couple of times.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
One thing I am a bit suspiscious of.

Guy had a used yamaha generator selling it for maybe $300 under what it was probably worth. I asked him why he was selling. How he used it etc. The usual to get a feel for whether he was telling the truth and if it was stolen.

I felt there was about a 30-40% chance it was stolen. He came across with his story fairly straightforward. My biggest red flag was the price but he was pinched for money, so I could reconcile that in my mind. I did buy it. I do occasionally wonder if it had been nicked though.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To my knowledge I have never brought anything that was stolen. If I suspect that it was I pass on it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
See all kinds of never used power tools here on the sale sites. Buddy works at Home Depot and says pretty much all of it is stolen.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Something to consider, the guy could have got them at an auction. I went to a home center auction once with a buddy. After a really long day, the paint, all 300 gallons of it, came up on the block. My buddy said to me, “hey go in half with me on the paint, I think we’ll get it cheap”. I did, we got it all for $275 and sold enough for $5 a gallon, before we loaded up, to get our money back on it. We used some, sold some and did great overall.

My buddy goes to a lot of auctions and always does well. He researches everything, sets his top bids and sticks to them.

So, you never know for sure, it could have been an auction deal.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from tampabay.com]

TAMPA — Detectives have arrested 34 people in the sale of stolen power tools and other items from retailers including Home Depot through websites such as OfferUp, Letgo and Facebook Marketplace.

LINK TO FULL STORY

Home Depot Corp. reported power tool thefts of $2.4 million from those four stores during a recent 12-month period

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Was offered a brand new, in the box, never registered, didn't need to
transfer, Ruger MKII Government at a gun show at a table run by
an unlicensed dealer. Good price.

Passed.

(The transfer was the real kicker. It's legally required here. Even folks that
don't know it, often want their name off the gun.)

I Don't steal, wont be involved in it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes. I bought musical equipment for some really low prices as a HS kid, and figured it was hot.

Not really anything since then.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by xarcher
I bought a 3' landscape rake from a guy on CL today. New in box. For 1/2 of what they sell for in the big box stores. And as best I could tell there were more in the bed of his pickup still in original box. Got to thinking.... He probably could return them to place of purchase for more than what I paid him. Assuming they were purchased of course. Have no way of knowing for sure they were hot, but ya gotta wonder.

By the way, the post is still up on CL 3 hours after I bought it.

My guess is it might have been 90% off Clearance item... I have bought lots of stuff like that... then again maybe it was stolen.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good way to get a good price lol. Ask not want not lol

Joke by the way. No I don’t buy hot [bleep]

Last edited by Three30Eight; 02/16/22.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a set of Crager rims with tires on them from a guy living in a storage unit. Pretty young and naive at the time, but looking back...🤔

Fear the crabcat.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Several Years ago I had a guy ask me if I wanted to buy a rifle. He pulled out a leather fitted hard case. Opened it and it had a rifle that looked like a Weatherby Royal Deluxe. It was beautiful. Chambered in 300 Norma Magnum. Wanted 500 said it was a little warm. I really wanted it but passed. The case was lined with red velvet and had slots that had 40 rounds of ammo in it.
No telling what it was worth.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've bought stuff out of pawn shops and gun shops who buy/trade used stuff cheap enough that it might've been stolen. Most recent was in mid-Jan this year, a very clean 4-16x42 A/O Weaver, Japan produced, w/ 1/8th MOA dot in a set of cheapo AL 22 dovetail rings for $63 including Tx.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I suspect it's stolen I pass. I hate thieves.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've stolen a kiss, or two, never bought, nor sold any.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,219
Posts18,466,425
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.