Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I built a 2acres pond last summer,just out of the back yard, After letting it fill up last winter .I stocked it with 6"channel cats and shell crackers,along with fathead minnows,,Spent all last summer feeding these guys,and by fall, able to gow them out to 13"-14" edible nuggets, I used 4-5 duck decoys as jugs to jug fish it an hwen had one get on i would dip it up with a fishnet tied onto a 14'gigpole we use on the river,, Any way,,,,,Since the first of the year,Ive had a pair of bald eagles camping out on the pond,Through ice,wind,sleet,snow,rain,freezing temps an all types of changing Missouri weather these 2 fuggers are living large on catfish that might come up to surface for whatever reason, Ive never had a problem with em before,, its funny till it aint, that was today when I spotted movment out in the woods 200'uphill from pond where on investigating,I found a flopping catfish an 5 more dead one that the fuggers had caught and dropped in a 25' area for whatever reason,,Anybody had this going on like this?

I AM AMERICA!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You built them a McDonald's with a all ya can eat fly-through

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I don't know if propane cannons would scare them away or they would just get used to it and come back.

H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I wonder if a dude could buy a solar powered alligator to float out there,, one that will swish its tail an open its jaws up or somthing,,

Last edited by hosfly; 02/17/22.

I AM AMERICA!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
SSS

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cra1948
SSS

Only took 4 comments before the usual fire kicks in KILL em all. Before you do much of anything look for a nest close by. You get caught using an air cannon or bird bombs around an active nest you aren’t going to like what happens monetarily.

Swifty
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Its not nesting season here in the Ozarks yet, These guys migrate to this are by the dozens or hundreds,we went gigging the other nite and counted 22 along the river., Lots of clear water rivers lakes and creeks, usually lots of small game, road kill deer is a biggie and cow calf ops, not to mention lots of duck hunting few counties over,, few years ago I used to pick up road killed deer an give them to a buddy to place out in a field,he would shoot 'yotes off em and watch eagles feed on em,, I quit picking them up one day when a blowfly flew up my nose an went to buzzing,,, I about passed out from projectile vomiting before I could blow him out,, havnt picked one up for 15 yrs LOL

Last edited by hosfly; 02/17/22.

I AM AMERICA!
H
hosfly Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cra1948
SSS
It is tempting,,, but I take enough wildlife to give (some) back,, but dayum they are wearing it out

I AM AMERICA!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hosfly
I wonder if a dude could buy a solar powered alligator to float out there,, one that will swish its tail an open its jaws up or somthing,,

Here ya go. Remote controlled alligator for sixty bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Remote-Contr...gator+head&qid=1645111067&sr=8-2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They'll be leaving to go north next month and you'll have all summer to restock it for their return next winter.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Try a coyote decoy. Lots of folks here do that in the summer to keep the geese off the beach

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Please don't shoot them. Anyone who would even suggest that needs therapy.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
We have problems with them too. They like new born calves..

Hang on tight !
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
You don’t want to have so much as a naturally molted feather in your possession.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sky carp. Like any other predator they will kill for fun, not just when they’re hungry as Disney would have you believe.
Don’t let them migrate back up here, we have more than enough year round. Thanks in advance.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Welcome to every day of my life....

DO NOT get caught harassing them!
DO NOT pick up a feather they drop

Dogs help. There's a commercial laser system that "shoots" birds with laser light, not sure if USFWS would consider that harassment, and I suppose it's pricey.

We keep the dogs around and as much of a human presence as we can afford, and hope the neighbor starts calving soon. They like afterbirths better than fish.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Its not nesting season here in the Ozarks yet, These guys migrate to this are by the dozens or hundreds,we went gigging the other nite and counted 22 along the river., Lots of clear water rivers lakes and creeks, usually lots of small game, road kill deer is a biggie and cow calf ops, not to mention lots of duck hunting few counties over,, few years ago I used to pick up road killed deer an give them to a buddy to place out in a field,he would shoot 'yotes off em and watch eagles feed on em,, I quit picking them up one day when a blowfly flew up my nose an went to buzzing,,, I about passed out from projectile vomiting before I could blow him out,, havnt picked one up for 15 yrs LOL

so you say you have an airborne freedom convoy staging in your area?

I like the sound of that!

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is what they are supposed to look like

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I built a 2acres pond last summer,just out of the back yard, After letting it fill up last winter .I stocked it with 6"channel cats and shell crackers,along with fathead minnows,,Spent all last summer feeding these guys,and by fall, able to gow them out to 13"-14" edible nuggets, I used 4-5 duck decoys as jugs to jug fish it an hwen had one get on i would dip it up with a fishnet tied onto a 14'gigpole we use on the river,, Any way,,,,,Since the first of the year,Ive had a pair of bald eagles camping out on the pond,Through ice,wind,sleet,snow,rain,freezing temps an all types of changing Missouri weather these 2 fuggers are living large on catfish that might come up to surface for whatever reason, Ive never had a problem with em before,, its funny till it aint, that was today when I spotted movment out in the woods 200'uphill from pond where on investigating,I found a flopping catfish an 5 more dead one that the fuggers had caught and dropped in a 25' area for whatever reason,,Anybody had this going on like this?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You need to ask yourself why are catfish coming to the surface to begin with? Have you habituated them to eating food off the surface by feeding them? In the wild a catfish does not need a lot of dissolved oxygen to survive, but most fish will come to the surface if they are low on dissolved oxygen where they are easy picking for an eagle or an osprey. Maybe an aerator would help keep them under water where they belong..

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.