Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hello, I just joined and I know this thread is old, f you can find an old Fenwick Eagle Graphite, they are imo o e of the best flyrods ever built for the money. The old ones will be black with green wrapping, not to be confused with the new line of eagles from Fenwick, 5 or 6wt will do anything any rod out there will do. You didn't really say what you fished with, nymphs or dry flies I am strictly a dry fly guy, to me, nymphing and " high sticking" is just expensive, glorified bait fishing.. lol. Don't over think it, you can catch as many fish with a $100 rod as you can with a $1500 rod, the fish had no idea how much you spent on your gear, being able to read a stream and presentation is everything, and the best way to learn a stream is to fish it over and over, I am surrounded by class A trout water and fish nearly everyday from April to Sept. I live a stones throw from Penns Creek and Spring Creek and can count on one hand the times I've fished them. When I fish I only consider it a good day if I haven't seen any other fisherman, Penn and Spring Creek looks like a fashion show for an Orvis catalogue... Lol.. no thanks. Enjoy it, and if you are lucky, you'll understand some day that it's not really fish you are after. Best of luck

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Royalwulff
Hello, I just joined and I know this thread is old, f you can find an old Fenwick Eagle Graphite, they are imo o e of the best flyrods ever built for the money.

So true. Bought mine in 1982. Truth is I’ll bet they’re hard to find.

Friends I know swear by TFO

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
They are, but they do come up on ebay now and then. Last one I got was a 6wt for $60. I have a TFO somewhere ( most likely at my daughter's cabin ( brat) my Eagles have long been my back ups and my bass rods. I load my suburban in April with an eagle graphite, two Orvis and a Winston Pure, small camp kitchen, box of fishing gear and it stays there until September. I gave my Hardy to a young man I was mentoring, who has grown into a very good young man and helluva fisherman. Another young man came to me and ask if I would teach him, I would have bet the farm he wouldn't last long... He had the attention span of a gnat... He's now one I can look at and say ( incomplete agreement with his wife) that I created a monster, good news is I taught his wife last summer, now the 3 of us fish regularly and she usually outfishes her husband, and we have this far failed to ever have anything but a great time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Now take up fly tying using the argument of how much $$$ one will save. Tell her that $100 rooster neck was actually road kill.

laugh laugh grin

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I like my Fenwick & St Croix fly rods but I LOVE my old Browning Silaflex.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dragged a 4 weight Taylor Fly fishing Dynamix all over WY and AK this fall. Performed wonderfully on trout, whitefish, even some small salmon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
https://www.avidmax.com/redington-v...7-2pAxCRjLP6e_CclxvXF2NyGaoaAge7EALw_wcB
Look up some reviews on the Redington vice. I own 1 as a backup and its fantastic. the combo would fit right in with what you want and comes with a lifetime wrranty. Buy new and you get warranty. Buy used and you get others mistakes.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OXN939
Dragged a 4 weight Taylor Fly fishing Dynamix all over WY and AK this fall. Performed wonderfully on trout, whitefish, even some small salmon.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I could spend some serious time on a creek like that.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 3,014 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.