Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
700LH Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.usgs.gov/news/national-...idespread-lead-poisoning-bald-and-golden

The paper, “Demographic Implications of Lead Poisoning for Eagles Across North America,” was published in the journal Science. Led by scientists from the U.S. Geological Survey, Conservation Science Global, Inc., and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, researchers evaluated lead exposure in bald and golden eagles from 2010 to 2018.

“Studies have shown lethal effects to individual birds, but this new study is the first to show population-level consequences from lead poisoning to these majestic species at such a wide scale," said Anne Kinsinger, USGS Associate Director for Ecosystems.

These findings are the first to look at bald and golden eagle populations across North America, using samples from 1,210 eagles over 38 U.S. states including Alaska. Poisoning at the levels found in the study is causing population growth rates to slow for bald eagles by 3.8 percent and golden eagles by 0.8 percent annually. Previously, evaluations of lead exposure and its impact on eagle populations were only performed in local and regional studies. This groundbreaking study documents how lead poisoning inhibits both species’ population growth across North America.

“This is the first study of lead poisoning of wildlife at a nationwide scale, and it demonstrates the unseen challenges facing these birds of prey. We now know more about how lead in our environment is negatively impacting North America's eagles,” said Todd Katzner, USGS wildlife biologist and lead USGS author. 

A bald eagle sits on a tile floor partially covered with astroturf.
Sources/Usage: Public Domain.
This bald eagle was admitted to The Raptor Center in St. Paul, MN where it was determined by veterinarians to be poisoned by lead. The bowed head, drooped wings, and green stained tail feathers are all typical signs of lead poisoning of raptors.
In this study, almost 50 percent of the birds sampled showed evidence of repeated exposure to lead.

More in the link

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Democrats, making gun ownership hurt since the 60's.

LOL
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
They obviously aren't eating enough of it cuz there's too many of them feathered rats around. Long since past time to step it up and give them the kind of lead poisoning that comes directly from the barrel of a gun. Same for hawks and owls.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They obviously aren't eating enough of it cuz there's too many of them feathered rats around. Long since past time to step it up and give them the kind of lead poisoning that comes directly from the barrel of a gun. Same for hawks and owls.

Aren't they the same as starlings/sparrows? I can't tell the difference.

My CZ 452 American 17hmr sure is accurate.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought it was all for the chillrin.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Dont beleive the data on this for a second. Bald eagles were non existent in our area for decades and now you can see one any time you want to. I've seen more bald eagles in one year than my entire childhood combined.

Doesnt pass the smell test, and wreaks of rachel carson.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been saying for years this was the next approach the gunhaters would take. It was science based on politics in the eighties also. Lead poisoning has some significance in areas of heavily concentrated waterfowling damn little anywhere else...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
What a bunch of bullchit.

I see lots of them. The only thing I see them eating on is deer carcasses in ditches that where hit by vehicles. Toxic paint maybe.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I realize there are lead free offerings for centerfire cartridges. Given the tiny powder charge, can one even make a lead free 22 lr cartridge?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by silver78
I realize there are lead free offerings for centerfire cartridges. Given the tiny powder charge, can one even make a lead free 22 lr cartridge?

where ya been man ? you can reload 22 LR now, with copper bullets

22 LR copper bullets

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart

I support that notion above

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think there should be a season on bald eagles. I see them everytime I'm in the field.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think that study is B.S. why we have record numbers of hawks owls and eagles where I live and it’s getting worse. Iowa’s small game is in the worst shape it has ever been. Yes we have to many hawks owls and eagles.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Get all the lead you can, it’s just a matter of time.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anyone who expects them to ever stop trying to take away your rights ain't that bright. Giving up anything thinking they will be satisfied is a fools errand. Hold the line.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nothing new, and it’s unlikely they have the authority except on Federal land and on species they regulate. The baldies are common here, seem to mostly eat roadkill and the trout stocked in my gun club’s lake. Never seen a dead one anywhere.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
From my house, I can drive a half hour to the Conowingo dam on the Susquehanna river and see dozens of bald eagles. Also see dozens of photographers taking pics of the birds. There's probably hundreds of eagles there now, but fewer in the summer. The dam provides good fishing for the birds and humans,
r

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is just another attempt to slow down and go after gun.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didn't see any mention of the lead in their system coming from shot or bullets. Have they proven that's the source?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
Dont beleive the data on this for a second. Bald eagles were non existent in our area for decades and now you can see one any time you want to. I've seen more bald eagles in one year than my entire childhood combined. ...

Same here. NEVER saw an eagle in the wild when I was young. Now see multiple per year around the farm. IIRC, we actually have at least one nesting pair in the county now.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.