Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Ive a work truck that I use extensively off-road. This time of year it’s not at all uncommon to get mud buildup inside the rims and then have to drive a couple hundred miles with the thing shaking like a wet dog until I can get to a car wash and spray the rims down.

Anybody use those balance beads inside the tire? I’ve some tendinitis in my wrist and it really makes it flare up having to hold on to a vibrating steering wheel for five hours.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wife’s truck 2500 Chevy crew cab. 20” tires. About 7k miles w them in. Okay so far

Don't gobble at me
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
? Never heard of such.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have glass beads in my Hummer H3 tires. They work very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FOLLOWING: Yeah, I need to look into them. This WY mud and bentonite settles and sticks inside my wheels. The only time mine don't vibrate is when driving home from the car wash, and only if I didn't miss any mud inside the rim.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never heard of the beads. Do they somehow balance out a gob of frozen mud on one inside of a tire rim?

I've had to crawl under the rig and gouge out mud with a stick, etc. Very hard when it is frozen. Worst time it was so out of balance I could not get up to 30 mph. when I got back to pavement after three days of crawling around moose country at slow speed.

Grandkids are the best accessory for crawling under to gouge out mud.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
with this style Auto balancer be better than me rings that bolt between the hub and rim ?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
The bigger the tire, the better it works. Lots of big rigs run the beads and don't have any balance problems. Small tires/wheels, not so much.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Got a friend who uses beads. Has 'em on a '67 Camaro show car, a custom '66 Chevy pick up with 35's (?) and his daily driver Surburban. Does his own tire mounting. He says he has zero problems. They work well. You do need to get the proper weight beads for your specific tire application.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
simply select the color coded package that corresponds to your tire size, and place the package inside the tire when installing or inject the beads through the valve stem.
I assume that doesn't work with TPMS?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran them and they are ok as long as you never plug a tire, never have a flat repaired and have dry air.

A FAR superior solution is a centramatic, they pinch between the rim and hub face and offer 60oz dynamic balance. I do not have my tires balanced any longer and they run longer and smoother. Some of the best money I've spent....we have 3 sets, one 265 with duals and two rigs on 35's.....all smooth wear.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Didn’t them Ol timers that ran the 44” super swamper monster mudderd use golf balls?

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Doesn't sound good to me.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Common on steer tires on trucks.

You could try breaking one bead, pouring some antifreeze in.

I've known guys do that on truck steers also.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My Dad had a ton truck with 10 ply tires that would not balance. He bought a piece you put on hub before placing the rim. It had ball bearings inside that free spun and balanced the tire and wheel. He loved it and had it for many years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
My Dad had a ton truck with 10 ply tires that would not balance. He bought a piece you put on hub before placing the rim. It had ball bearings inside that free spun and balanced the tire and wheel. He loved it and had it for many years.

That's a centramatic. They work excellent.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Had an Isuzu 16 foot box truck. Ran 3 golf balls per tire for a lot of years. Went to bags full of rubber beads in the end. Golf balls did great, they would keep spinning around the rim for quite a few seconds after you stopped the truck. Makes me want to try them again on some Patagonia 33/12.5/R16s on my F350. They are always out of balance with mud this time of year.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, the beads work. I wouldn't use them for normal car/SUV tires but larger mud tires that can be difficult to balance or keep balanced over their lifespan are ideal candidates. They work.
Kinda like the balancing slime stuff in motorcycle tires. I haven't had wheel weights on my bikes in years and the tires are always perfectly balanced.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
I ran them and they are ok as long as you never plug a tire, never have a flat repaired and have dry air.

A FAR superior solution is a centramatic, they pinch between the rim and hub face and offer 60oz dynamic balance. I do not have my tires balanced any longer and they run longer and smoother. Some of the best money I've spent....we have 3 sets, one 265 with duals and two rigs on 35's.....all smooth wear.

I've run both on semi's and trailers, and I disagree strongly. The Centramatics introduce a variable between the tandems and I've had more loose lug nuts and a couple of near wheel-offs with them. They also have an unacceptable failure rate, and when they fail the bearings rust together and you ruin one or two tires in an awful big hurry if you don't notice the balance problem (like on a trailer).

The beads work great. Toss in a bag when buying the tire, drive. I estimate my tire expense has dropped by about 15% since starting to use them, but nearly 40% reduction in steer tire expense. Much less problems with uneven wear and tires going out of balance prematurely. I'll never, EVER go back to centramatics.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 358WCF, 36 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.