24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I used the search function here on the forum, and didn’t turn up much, or did it incorrectly (quite possible)…..

Anyways, looking for info on USA made marbles fixed blade stamps/etchings. Seems through what I have been able to find on the web that the late 90s 2000 era knives are considered some of the best, and usually carry a marbles, Gladstone Michigan stamp. But there are others just just say marbles, maybe with an etched logo instead of stamped, still made in US? Anyways point being is I’m confused.
Is there a way to tell by the box or anything else?

Thanks to anyone who has any info,

Ben

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The old bobcat box usually denotes that late 90's to early 2000's era you speak of. Orange with a bobcat on the front.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Mink; 02/21/22.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got one from I think 1999. It's stamped Marbles Gladstone Michigan and has the 52100 blade steel. It's one of the most overrated knives I own.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Cool thanks for the replies guys!
Curious, Blackheart, what makes you view it as over rated? I’ve been thinking of finding one of these as I like the old school stacked leather vibe, but haven’t handled one in person.
I’m not much of a collector, and would be using it in the field. I was under the impression these were good knives.
Any and all opinions and/or insight from personal experiences welcome,

Thanks again!

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
Cool thanks for the replies guys!
Curious, Blackheart, what makes you view it as over rated? I’ve been thinking of finding one of these as I like the old school stacked leather vibe, but haven’t handled one in person.
I’m not much of a collector, and would be using it in the field. I was under the impression these were good knives.
Any and all opinions and/or insight from personal experiences welcome,

Thanks again!
I was not impressed with the fit and finish or the edge holding of the 52100 steel for the price and the sheath is nothing to brag on either. You'd be better off in every regard with one of the fixed blade Bucks with the micarta handles and S30V or S35VN blade steel from Copper and Clad.

IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok thanks Blackheart for the intel there. I’ll check that out. Pretty neat, wasn’t aware buck made any in those better steels. Could be onto something there.
I had also checked out Fallkniven, they have some stacked leather/aluminum pommel knives, but wow they’re approaching custom work prices.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These Marbles knives from this era are pretty good quality depending on how much you can get them for. They were made by Marbles during a time when Mike Stewart was in charge I believe. He later went on to run Bark River.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Mink, yep that’s what I had read as well. From what little I’ve actually seen of Bark River knives I would think that would be a good thing, as they were nice looking and are well thought of.
Since my checking into this stuff, I’ve also have been eye balling the Hess knives, seems like a continuation of the vintage Marbles styling. Very reasonable pricing. I ordered on of the little whitetail models, we’ll see how it turns out

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hess knives look Marble like for a reason and to the best of my knowledge are all American made.

Several makers in MI U.P. with a Marbles heritage.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I own several “Mike Stewart Era” Marbles knives with the 52100 blade steel.
My experiences are completely different than what’s described above.

I’ve found fit and finish to be excellent as well as edge holding ability. One thing to remember is that these blades are “old school” handmade/assembled. As such, no two are exactly the same. I own 1 Plainsman and 3 Fieldcrafts. Each is unique but fit and finish of all of them is excellent!
Also, I’ve never owned a sharper knife.
The key to maintaining the convex grind on these blades is to touch them up before they get too dull. This is easy to do, when needed, and only takes about 5 min after a hunting trip or field dressing job to bring that edge back to hair popping sharpness. Easiest way I’ve found is to strope them using a neoprene rubber computer mouse pad and a sheet of 1200-1500 grit sand paper. Having said that, I’ve never felt the need to touch up these blades in the field. And, I use them for skinning and deboning meat only. I don’t chop, pry or use the edge as a screwdriver.🥴

Love the convex grind on these marbles knives!

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 04/19/22.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Current Marble's fixed blade knives are imports. The ones built in China are quite good and bargain priced. The ones built in Pakistan have very low quality stainless steel blades and are considered junk. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
The marbles knives made in Seki Japan have incredible steel!!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
what era Marbles were made in Seki Japan. Interested!

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got two Marbles knives. They are both older blades, stamped Gladstone Michigan. One is a Bowie that I never use, but can't seem to let go of.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 1973cb450
So I used the search function here on the forum, and didn’t turn up much, or did it incorrectly (quite possible)…..

Anyways, looking for info on USA made marbles fixed blade stamps/etchings. Seems through what I have been able to find on the web that the late 90s 2000 era knives are considered some of the best, and usually carry a marbles, Gladstone Michigan stamp. But there are others just just say marbles, maybe with an etched logo instead of stamped, still made in US? Anyways point being is I’m confused.
Is there a way to tell by the box or anything else?

Thanks to anyone who has any info,

Ben
The ones not engraved Gladstone are made in China, after the brand was sold to a Chinese company. The Gladstone knives are, indeed, excellent. Top quality.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
718 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,686
Posts18,399,755
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.