Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Recently agreed to do a quick review of this scope for Doug at Camera Land and share it here on the Fire. Received the scope last week but our crazy weather prevented much time outdoors. Finally found a decent day to try it out. Bear in mind I am an average Joe and not a skilled writer or optics judge.

Having said that, and to save a bunch of reading, I will state early that I like the heck outta this scope. I won't bore you with all the specs, but will list some that I think are important.
1. 1-6x24
2. 30mm tube
3. red and green illuminated reticle with 5 settings each
4. circle dot reticle with several hold over bars
5. resettable pop up locking turrets
6. 4" eye relief
7. 14.5 oz weight
8. Made for Camera Land, designed in Texas, but is a CCP product
9. comes with riser ring mount system out of the box
10. aluminum quick throw lever included

I believe the reticle is an etched center post with circle and dot. This gives it a very wide open uncluttered field of view. The various hold over points would make it very easy to sight in at the primary distance and still allow longer range shooting.

The illumination worked very well but did wash out on certain backgrounds in bright sunlight. This was no concern to me as the reticle by itself was great. Battery is the standard CR2032 and the specs say up to 100 hrs.

I mounted the scope on my plinker AR-15 and the riser mount was right on. It took just a few shots to get sighted in for my needs. I played around with the color and brightness of the reticle. I then shot a few rounds of steel gongs and bowling pins out to 100 yards and hit with no problems. I did not do any box test or turret twisting other than sighting in. I did like the locking turrets and did reset to zero.

Optics are reasonably clear and the scope seems well made. I think it has a lot of features, some I may never use, but they are there. I liked this scope (and the reticle) so much that I left it on my AR in place of the Bushnell Prime it was wearing. For my needs, it worked great.

In closing, I think this is a great low cost option (under $200.00 ) for the casual shooter. I can see this working on several types of guns. I am not an optics guru and wont pretend this will rival the higher class scopes. I think Doug did a good job of marketing a useful scope with a lot of options at an affordable price. And as always, I'm sure Doug will stand behind his product.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like Scott, I also agreed to do a review on this scope for Doug at Cameraland. Having never done anything like this, all I knew to do was to put the scope to use in a way that I'd think the average customer who bought it would. I will also say this upfront..........this Firefield Rapidstrike is made in China, and I know that there are those who will not purchase anything that is made there. Personally, I do not care to buy optics that are Chinese made. However, there is a market for such optics, as there are those who either aren't going to pay the extra money for optics made elsewhere, or else they cannot afford the more expensive made ones.

I was somewhat impressed with this scope as soon as I opened the box and took my first look at it. It appeared to be well made, and after handling it and looking through it, the glass is nicer than I'd expected it to be.I put it on an AR I had recently put together, and had only installed open sights on. I wanted to leave the rear sight on, so I mounted the scope just in front of it. Eye relief is perfect that way, and I really like the cantilever mount setup. I boresighted it and the reticle seemed to be close, so off to the range I went.

The manual says the reticle is calibrated for the 55 FMJ bullet, so that's what I used. It only took two shots at the 25 yard target to get a zero there, and I moved on out to the 100 yard target. The turret adjustment was precise, and very easy to zero the scope. No mushy feeling clicks like I have seen on some scopes, as these were very precise. No problems whatsoever, and I continued to be impressed with what I was seeing so far.

My session at the range was in two parts, and I fired about 100 rounds each time, wanting to test the rifle as well as the scope. The ammo was military surplus, mixed headstamps. The first session was mainly to get the rifle zeroed, and that part was easy, although accuracy left something to be desired, a combination I think of a fairly inexpensive rifle and the ammo. I shot at both the 100 and the 200 yard targets, with the 200 yard being 8 inch steel. While I'm not a huge fan of reticles like this, I was able to regularly hit the 200 yard steel. One must bear in mind that this is a reticle designed for quick target acquisition, and that it does rather well.

Session two was to try out the IR and hopefully shoot at the 300 yard steel. But, a problem arose when I tried the IR.....it would not come on. I changed the battery, and it still would not work. Finally, I determined that when the cap that holds the battery in was tightened down all the way, the IR would not come on, If I loosened the cap up, then the IR worked. I fired about another 100 rounds at this session, and was somewhat disappointed in the lack of accuracy, either on my part or the rifle and ammo. My hits on the 200 yard steel were few and far between, and I got no hits at 300. The battery cover cap also had to be loosened a few times in order to keep the IR working.

Okay, final thoughts..........if you're looking for a scope to do some precise shooting with, I don't believe this is it. But, then again, it's not meant to be in my book. The reticle is not designed for that. It is designed to allow the shooter to take a quick shot at a fairly close range target, and in that respect it works as advertised. I found it extremely easy to acquire the target in situations where I was trying to shoot as rapidly as possible. The glass is good, and I have no complaints about that. I did find the situation with the IR turret to be annoying, and I'm hoping that mine is an isolated case. The IR looked and worked very nicely, and in a low light situation worked very well. However, I would not want to rely on the IR in a real life situation where my life depended on it, as that battery cover cap needs to be where it can be tightened down, and not left loose. I do like the compactness, and the way the scope allows a rapid target acquisition, and I give it high marks in that department. I'm going to try it on another rifle, one that has been proven to be very accurate. I believe that in spite of the problem with the IR turret, this scope is good for what it is designed for. For the price, it's worth the money.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,707 guests, and 944 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.