Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Hey y'all, I'm screwing an unfired 6.5 creedmoor CTR barrel on my tikka action and adding a KRG Bravo chassis. I've played around at 1000 yds with my previous stock tikka T3 lite many times and had a bunch of fun. The biggest problem I encountered was my fixed 10 power SS scope I have was lacking in spotting hits at 1000 yds. Basically I was playing on the cheap and couldn't really justify spending the dollars for a more expensive scope. Since I'm making an upgrade I'm now ready to spend some money on some glass.

So, what scopes have you guys used that will spot hits with a 6.5 sized bullet at 1000 yds? What bullets have you had the best results with? I always liked the 147 eld. I'm looking to enter a few competitions just for fun so I am willing to spend whatever it takes to do so in a realistic way.

Thank you kindly and your welcome in advance

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 02/20/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
IME, a 10x works` just fine.

What kind of back stop?

Shoot with a spotter behind you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What type of competition?

Spotting hits and misses really depends on having the right steel/paint and the right background. The 10x SS is enough to spot hits and misses. If looking for more, the LRHS2, SS 5-20x, or DMR3 would by my choices, depending on the application. The NF ATACR 4-16x or 5-25x would be a contender, too, depending on budget and application.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The scope I use is a spotting scope. Mine is a Swarovski but any brand from Kowa, Leica, etc will be fine.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Even on a higher mag variable I find myself down at 10-12x more often than not once the mirage comes up.

Target set up and back drop start getting more important the further out you go as well.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I rather enjoy how "REAL" the Delusions are,to her. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What type of competition?

Spotting hits and misses really depends on having the right steel/paint and the right background. The 10x SS is enough to spot hits and misses. If looking for more, the LRHS2, SS 5-20x, or DMR3 would by my choices, depending on the application. The NF ATACR 4-16x or 5-25x would be a contender, too, depending on budget and application.

I'm joining up with the NW Montana 1000 yd club. I'll be shooting IBS thousand yard competitions. That's where I want to start. It'll be a lot of fun and a learning experience. I've been asked to join for a few years now and finally going to do it purely for the association. I also prefer to not be a "big stick" in the mud continually bregging but refusing to quantify my skill level.....Pun intended! The reason I'm second guessing scope selection is because I spend a lot of time practicing alone without a spotter and for some reason have had a touph time spotting for myself. Perhaps a different scope will help maybe not

Thanks for taking an interest Jordan its much appreciated my friend

Last edited by Trystan; 02/20/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Higginez
Even on a higher mag variable I find myself down at 10-12x more often than not once the mirage comes up.

Target set up and back drop start getting more important the further out you go as well.

Ive always stuck with lower power scopes to negate the mirage and have had great results. I could see myself with some alpha glass running it on 10 power the entire time. I shoot alone a fair amount of time so often don't have a spotter. For this reason I'm thinking of upgrading glass since I struggle to spot for myself. Might be an unrealistic approach

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Imaginary Glass,mounted upon Imaginary Rifles,"shooting" Imaginary Bullets...ain't gonna "change" your Imaginary "Pursuits". Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The best value for the dollar IME is Sightron SIII 6-24 or 8-32, FFP or SFP. Mount it with Burris signature XTR rings with the plastic inserts and and set it up so the travel is bottomed out just below your zero, leaving the scopes entire travel for long range shooting. I have at least 10 of these and have never had a single issue tracking out past a mile.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
THAT ain't happenin' either. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Originally Posted by Boxer

Sightron is absolute dog schit [bleep] junk and they wouldn't even make a decent Fish Knocker.

But cheer up...BSA sells alotta scopes

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cope-my-dpms-bull-barrel-pig#Post8926296

I thought you "shoot them all, and don't have to guess." Were you lying then, or are you lying now about Sightron?? LOL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I musta' "missed" where same was "lauded"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Bless your heart for "living" so very vicariously. HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, so you use "dog schit junk" scopes?

Times must be tough for you. Head to S Naknek in a couple months, maybe you can pick fish for some extra money???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I shoot an open mind,with a Bank Account you couldn't begin to fhuqking fathom...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Again,cite where same was "lauded",beings you spend EVERY minute,of EVERY day,Fantasizing about me. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Oh, and you can save your breath on a reply -
Yada Yada imagination and pretend
Yada Yada couch, window-licker
Yada Yada hard-charger

Yada Yada laughing

Boy, that was easy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You're so predictable!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

Funny how very WELL you know your place...you 'lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Same ole, same ole.

Hint
Pretend
Congrats?
Laughing.

Are you a bot? Cause your repeated act lost any originality the same time you stopped lauding Leopold and the 30stw!

Look, I know you're stuck, cause if you admit SIII's are solid scopes, especially for the $, you're admitting I was right all along and you were just guessing when you called them "dog schit". But, if you still say they're "dog schit" now, you'll be lying and anyone who has actually used an SIII will know your opinion doesn't mean squat.

Let me guess your reply -

Horned up
Imagination
Congrats?
Laughing

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I've only got 100's and 100's of scopes and I get it,that (3) is a LOT to you and your ilk...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I musta' missed it,how many times a day do you think about me,on the "average"? Is it in your latest Hurt Feelers Report? Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Love to see Stick on an episode of hoarders.
Lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ReeferLady,

I've NO "doubt",that your Imagination and Pretend are "rewarding" to you,as I 'suffer" wares that simply exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Perhaps you Do NOTHING Kchunts can combine your "powers",if only to keep things "fair". HINT!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dammmn it, I went with "horned up" and you went with "think about me". I almost went 4 for 4 on the Boxer Bigstick Bingo card.

I'll try again.

Imagination
Now you've seen one
Congrats?
Laughing

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

It's almost like you think about me 24/7,because being you is soooooo much less...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You keep filling out them Hurt Feller Reports. Hint.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the advice thus far fellas

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Thanks for DREAMING aloud,because this schit is fhuqking FUNNY! Hint.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like 6-24 or 8-32 at 1000+ I'm usually at 16x - 20xor so. I could make do with a 4 - 16X though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

You suck a mean ass...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
What a weird homo-erotic thing to say.

Didn't mean to get you horned up!

Why don't you try to add to the conversation? Or is that all you do, put everyone down from your lonely "bachelor" pad? What a sad life.

I'm going to go shoot my new TSO.You should try shooting sometime, not building on your 50,000+ posts!

Let me guess,

Blah blah pretend
Blah blah imagine
Blah blah congrats
Blah blah laughing

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’d like to see tiny D*cks 1000 yard shots group….it’s probably with 6x scope and hack sawed barrel to 18”. Don’t forget to soak it in the creek for the photo opp. Then throw on the ground few times. As long as it had yellow or Red electrical tape on the scope caps with gold rust oleum paint job it’s the best of the best Of the best.
Come on you fat f*ck, post some pics of that 1000 yard target and I’m still waiting on that bear pic on your shoulders you photoshopped. Lots of cred!
Sorry in advance to detail the thread

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or just post some pics from this decade.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
CRYING Kchunts UNITE,in THE Twatly Trifecta and "brazenly" extoll your HILARIOUS Insecurities...you "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothing to add?

What a sad POS.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

Sorry for the delay,not "much" new here...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Big Stick must be a bot. It always has to post the last word, all the while adding nothing of value. It posts the same recycled 20 year old pictures or a few new ones showing very impressive envelopes!

Anyway, thanks for showing a hunting rifle in a thread about 1000 yard IBS competitions. You should do a little reading and learn the difference between sporter and benchrest and tactical rifles. It would serve you well. If you want, I can give you a lesson. We could start with rifles, then cover optics, and then cameras/lenses. With you starting from scratch, it would be tiresome for me, but I know I'd be doing the world a favor.

Oh, let me guess, a quick reply that says nothing about the thread's subject, just some poorly spelled insults, and the same repeated phrases, over and over and over.

blah blah imagination pretend
blah blah insecurity and couch
blah blah fixate and feelers
blah blah congrats?
blah blah laughing.

What a dolt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

I LOVE your Hurt Feeler Reports...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I WIN!!! I WIN!!! BINGO!!! BINGO!!!

I had Feelers, Congrats, and Laughing!!! 3 for 3 in Boxer Bigstick Bingo.

You're unnecessary. Its so easy to predict what you're going to say.

Let me know when you want that much needed lesson in shooting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
slums,

It's almost like you think about me 24/7,because being you is soooooo much less...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You keep filling out them Hurt Feller Reports. Hint.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
Hey y'all, I'm screwing an unfired 6.5 creedmoor CTR barrel on my tikka action and adding a KRG Bravo chassis. I've played around at 1000 yds with my previous stock tikka T3 lite many times and had a bunch of fun. The biggest problem I encountered was my fixed 10 power SS scope I have was lacking in spotting hits at 1000 yds. Basically I was playing on the cheap and couldn't really justify spending the dollars for a more expensive scope. Since I'm making an upgrade I'm now ready to spend some money on some glass.

So, what scopes have you guys used that will spot hits with a 6.5 sized bullet at 1000 yds? What bullets have you had the best results with? I always liked the 147 eld. I'm looking to enter a few competitions just for fun so I am willing to spend whatever it takes to do so in a realistic way.

Trystan

Did you get anything out of your OP? A lot of crap slinging, as per usual. I run Nightforce scopes and easily spot my hits when cranked up to 20x (5-20x56 SHV) and 22 on a NXS 5.5-22x56. I don't shoot big plates though. 12" diameter at 1,000 and 1,400 yards. Use a good backstop, so you can see your splash better. I can easily see hits on the hillside or rock this steel plate is attached to, then easily dial to the steel plate:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

There are other great scopes that work well, just depends on how much you want to spend. I shot a varmint silhouette match yesterday. Targets went out to 714 yards with a cold bore shoot on a milk jug at 800 yards. Most guys there were using Nightforce (SHV, NXS, Atacr and Beast), Leupold VX6HD's, US Optics, Vortex, Leica and Tract Torics. No SWFA's there, unfortunately, and no Bushnells either:

I was actually considering a Zeiss V4 6-24x50 the other day, just to try out. I'm sure it would be easy to spot hits with that one as well, as the glass clarity is very good. You say you'll be shooting IBS 1,000 yard matches. I'm assuming light gun? You should check with your club and see what they prefer. You may be surprised to know that most guys shooting those events are using 20x-50x scopes... Just a FYI..

It may be easier to spot your shots after changing stocks and adding the CTR barrel, as your rifle will be a little heavier than your lite originally was. Is there a reason you didn't just buy a CTR or even a Tac A1? I shoot CTR's and have no complaints... Also, a little more magnification will allow you to spot hits easier. As for using the right bullet, let your rifle tell you what it prefers. Mine really like the 140 ELD match bullet. I have messed with the 147 a little bit in my CTR's, but haven't found the magic combo yet, just ho hum:
That's not good enough IMHO for shooting out to 1,000+ especially if you are going to shoot competition. Find a load that bugholes those groups and then try them at 400+ yards to confirm they are good. For that varmint silhouette match, I just used my 22-250 with 53gr Vmax and did well because wind was minimal. If it would have been windy, I would have pulled out the creedmoor. As it is, the 53gr Vmax shoots pretty good. During practice recently, I confirmed rifle and load for the distances I knew I'd be shooting on Saturday:

At those distances, I run my scope at 20X, which is maxed out on magnification. Works like a champ.. Good luck with your shooting and deciding on which scope you will use Trystan..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Bsa, I have a donor tikka so opted to get the new take off CTR barrel and KRG Bravo chassis with AICS mags. I think I'll like the KRG better than the CTR stock. One other reason is I prefer the earlier T3 action over the T3X due to the ejection port not being opened up. IMO removing metal from the action reduced the integrity to a small degree. I have a barrel vice and the tools to get the job done so no wait on a gunsmith. Tikkas are machined very precise so its almost 100% chance it will headspace when I screw on the CTR barrel. I will double check headspace to make sure.

The KRG Bravo is a light chassis, I think I'll be ok there. I will visit with the fellas more about that.

Nightforce and SWFA have both intrigued me. I haven't been keeping up on the newest and latest in the scope world which is the biggest reason for my post. Want to see whats all out there before I pull the trigger

As for the usual crap slinging, the man who has all the answers and knows more than anyone else was unable to come up with any correct answers. Instead you get, I've shot my mouth more than anyone else, longer than anyone else, and knowbody can outshoot a mouth the size of mine for an answer! Go figure

You posted a lot of useful information and its much appreciated. Thanks for the tip on the 140s vs 147s. I've seen the 140s work better in a number of rifles. I was fortunate in my swede that the 147s were the cats meow. Lately have been having some great results with 140 and 147s with RL 23. It likes to be compressed before ES SD numbers drop into single digits

On a side note the barrel, chassis have shown up and today according to tracking 200 pieces of lapua small primer brass and 2 AICS mags will be coming in the mail. I'm looking forward to moving forward on this project. Thanks for your time BSA its much appreciated along with some of the other fellas who posted on this thread

Last edited by Trystan; 02/21/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Few things funnier,than a Retard Round Up and you Melting Snowflakes are a Fhuqking CLUELESS Riot! Hint.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Few things funnier,than a Retard Round Up and you Melting Snowflakes are a Fhuqking CLUELESS Riot! Hint.

What's a clueless riot? Tell us the friend story 😂

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Now you can say you've "seen" a 'Bravo...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Which makes this,yet another BIG Day for you! Hint.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Trystain,

Now you can say you've "seen" a 'Bravo...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

How high is the killing number on the Peter Pan Bullet?
😂😂😂

Last edited by Trystan; 02/21/22.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I thought you were asking about "budget" 1000 yards options. Sounds like you're looking at nicer options. I'd be looking at NF Competition, s&b 12-50, March, or Kahles 10-50.

I'm very happy with the NF Comp on my dasher.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Trystan

I’ve got a Bushnell DMR II Pro that has been outstanding. I’ve taken it out to a mile with no issues. In your shoes, I’d be looking hard at the Bushnell DMR III, which has replaced the DMR II Pro. If you’re a vet or LE, Bushnell has some hefty discounts.

https://www.bushnell.com/elite-tact...-riflescope-g4p-reticle/BU-ETDMR3G4.html

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'64,

That's purty mean,beings Trystain cashes her "pay check" at a Taco Bell Drive-Thru Window. Hint.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
‘Stick,
What’s up with the model 70?
Seen pics you’ve posted in a couple threads and know they are far from your favorite way to roll.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8" RPM,3" box,147 Smooches and some laughs. Hint...............

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
None of those pics are of a 1000 yard group. Just more useless pics of scopes and bullets that everybody has seen 1000s of times! SMH.
Post something productive and informative. You get the Hint?
BSA had the best reply yet. Thanks for that bud.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Drool,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Keep "living" vicariously,as you set astride your Couchbound Kchunt,glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel. Your High Pitched Nasal Whine,sure is soothin'! Hint.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Hondo64d

Trystan

I’ve got a Bushnell DMR II Pro that has been outstanding. I’ve taken it out to a mile with no issues. In your shoes, I’d be looking hard at the Bushnell DMR III, which has replaced the DMR II Pro. If you’re a vet or LE, Bushnell has some hefty discounts.

John

I ordered this scope today! The advice from all was much appreciated

A special thank you to Peter Pan and his encouragement to persue magical fantasies and 12 year old teenage antics! Keep up the good fight against Captian Hook you hard charger, we are all rooting for your safe return from wonderland

Trystan

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trystain,

Pardon wares that exist...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

John

Do you have to buy direct from them for the veteran discount?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you actually want to compete in IBS sanctioned matches, start by learning the rules and attending matches and find out what is competitive. There are likely gear limitations and weight restrictions etc.

T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just thought I would give a quick update on this build! I have exactly 105 round down the tube now and the shooting system is showing some promise. We played around at 100 yds with RL 23 and 140 eldms with small rifle 6.5 creedmoor Lapua brass with CCI450 primers. I haven't had all that much time for playing so really haven't experimented with more powders, bullet combos like I want to but eventually will get to that point.

This is how reloads have gone so far............The rifle put shots 7,8,9 in one raged hole! I bumped around a bit to get an idea of where I was and than went back to the same load only a different seating depth that was landing on a better seating node and one ragged hole again. 26 rounds down the tube at this point and back yard load data was close enouph so I spent the next week going to the range and playing around at 500 yds. I don't figure a barrel is broke in until at least 100 rounds so I really don't get to excited about what's happening I just want rounds down the tube at this point! I started with a 3 shot group at 500 yds that looked to be an 1" and a quarterish. I than moved on to some 5 shot groups thru the week with frequent barrel cleaning and shooting in some windy conditions. Nothing was overly impressive although nothing was over 3" groups either. I really wasn't to worried since I was breaking the barrel in terms of getting it to settle in velocity wise. I made a small adjustment on my load dropping a 10th of a grain and proceeded to shoot a 10 shot group at 500yds with 8 rounds being inside a 2" circle and two flyers. I attributed the fliers to some exessive runout around 7 thou on a few rounds and it may have needed a good cleaning. I came home, cleaned the rifle, and loaded up 5 more rounds with another small adjustment in dies dropping runout the 2 thou or less. I shot 5 in about a .3 ish group. I haven't physically measured because well I guess I don't get hung up on exact measurements this early on. Not saying its right its just what I do. I loaded up 50 rounds and this morning will be headed out to stretch it out to 1000 yds on steel. We shoot a 12" square steel plate and the fellas I shoot with usually play a game where you basically see who can get the most hits in a row. The wind can blow pretty good where we shoot so at times it can be a challenge. I'm excited and hoping for a great session this morning. Should be fun

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Had some mixed results at 1015 yds today. I started by putting the first 5 rounds of the 6.5 creedmoor 140 elds on a 12X12 inch steel plate with 4 of the 5 rounds in a 5" group with one flier....ish. &&! My shooting partner put 4 out of 5 on steel with his 338 lapua improved however the wind started blowing by the time he started shooting and the sun peeked thru the clouds picking up mirage a bit! Not to mention he new his load was going to have a bit of verticle string because he didn't have time to load for the temps we were going to be shooting in so shot what he had. By my calculations he was outshooting me considering the wind and mirage he had to deal with. My next 5 shots were all misses!!! We finally came to the conclusion that my spotter had misspotted and was having me hold wind xxx&& incorrectly. I made my own adjustment, got on the plate again and put another 5 out of 5 on steel. Wind was starting to get with the program so packed up and went home. Fun day of shooting.

I thought about inviting Big Stick but we didn't have any 3' steel plates to set up at 1000 yds for him! Big Stick......Big Target goes hand in hand whilst building his false sense of acomplishments! I would not have mentioned Stick but I figured mentioning at least one famous character makes the shooting story that much better

Last edited by Trystan; 05/04/22.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
BSA I’ve got the V4 in 6x24x50 and 4x16x44 and prefer the 4x16 more due to the reticle and both scopes track very well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bsa, I have a donor tikka so opted to get the new take off CTR barrel and KRG Bravo chassis with AICS mags. I think I'll like the KRG better than the CTR stock. One other reason is I prefer the earlier T3 action over the T3X due to the ejection port not being opened up. IMO removing metal from the action reduced the integrity to a small degree. I have a barrel vice and the tools to get the job done so no wait on a gunsmith. Tikkas are machined very precise so its almost 100% chance it will headspace when I screw on the CTR barrel. I will double check headspace to make sure.

The KRG Bravo is a light chassis, I think I'll be ok there. I will visit with the fellas more about that.

Nightforce and SWFA have both intrigued me. I haven't been keeping up on the newest and latest in the scope world which is the biggest reason for my post. Want to see whats all out there before I pull the trigger

As for the usual crap slinging, the man who has all the answers and knows more than anyone else was unable to come up with any correct answers. Instead you get, I've shot my mouth more than anyone else, longer than anyone else, and knowbody can outshoot a mouth the size of mine for an answer! Go figure

You posted a lot of useful information and its much appreciated. Thanks for the tip on the 140s vs 147s. I've seen the 140s work better in a number of rifles. I was fortunate in my swede that the 147s were the cats meow. Lately have been having some great results with 140 and 147s with RL 23. It likes to be compressed before ES SD numbers drop into single digits

On a side note the barrel, chassis have shown up and today according to tracking 200 pieces of lapua small primer brass and 2 AICS mags will be coming in the mail. I'm looking forward to moving forward on this project. Thanks for your time BSA its much appreciated along with some of the other fellas who posted on this thread

Good stuff man. It sounds like your getting that rifle dialed in nicely. I also like how you said you lessened your TIR by adjusting your die set. That's how you do it and having less than about .002" TIR is where you want to be. When I posted the first time, it was a few months ago. I'm still going to those varmint silhouette shoots and I'll tell you, those guys are good shooters. Its been a humbling experience. I've had to pull out all the stops with my CTR to get the most out of it. As it is, I'm shooting against guys that are running full on customs. Barrels that are 28"+ long and heavy as truck axles. I ended up using my 6.5 creedmoor the last 2 times out and went all out on my scope choice. Ended up with a 7-35x56 Nightforce ATACR. That scope is damn nice man. No question on if it's going to dial properly or not. It is spot on. I also added a 20 moa rail. My other CTR already had a 20 moa rail and an NXS 5.5-22x56:

As I said earlier, I had to dig deep and get the best out of my rifle and load because there's heavy competition. Here's how it shoots after a little more bedding work:
This rifle hits the 800 yard cold bore targets now too, which is a pretty good feat in itself. I think there were only 7 of us that hit it out of 22 shooters.

You are wise to go to a chassis system on your rifle. Like I said in my last post, everyone I'm shooting against is running them. I watch those guys and there are benefits/advantages to running the chassis. Its nice to have that adjustability and they are more comfortable when shooting prone. Having a good bi-pod is a benefit as well. From the sounds of it, if you are hitting a 12" plate at 1,000 yards, you are doing damn good. Especially in the wind. I'll eventually revisit the 147 ELDM's and hope I find a really good load for shooting at my 1,400 yard target. It doesn't sound like you need our help anymore buddy. Good job on setting that rifle up right.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Nestucca
BSA I’ve got the V4 in 6x24x50 and 4x16x44 and prefer the 4x16 more due to the reticle and both scopes track very well.

I'll eventually try one. Thanks for the tidbit though. My scope fund has dwindled after buying the ATACR. That sob wasn't cheap. Ha ha. Nice piece of glass, but not cheap..

BSA MAGA
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good stuff man. It sounds like your getting that rifle dialed in nicely. I also like how you said you lessened your TIR by adjusting your die set. That's how you do it and having less than about .002" TIR is where you want to be. When I posted the first time, it was a few months ago. I'm still going to those varmint silhouette shoots and I'll tell you, those guys are good shooters. Its been a humbling experience. I've had to pull out all the stops with my CTR to get the most out of it. As it is, I'm shooting against guys that are running full on customs. Barrels that are 28"+ long and heavy as truck axles. I ended up using my 6.5 creedmoor the last 2 times out and went all out on my scope choice. Ended up with a 7-35x56 Nightforce ATACR. That scope is damn nice man. No question on if it's going to dial properly or not. It is spot on. I also added a 20 moa rail. My other CTR already had a 20 moa rail and an NXS 5.5-22x56:

As I said earlier, I had to dig deep and get the best out of my rifle and load because there's heavy competition. Here's how it shoots after a little more bedding work:
This rifle hits the 800 yard cold bore targets now too, which is a pretty good feat in itself. I think there were only 7 of us that hit it out of 22 shooters.

You are wise to go to a chassis system on your rifle. Like I said in my last post, everyone I'm shooting against is running them. I watch those guys and there are benefits/advantages to running the chassis. Its nice to have that adjustability and they are more comfortable when shooting prone. Having a good bi-pod is a benefit as well. From the sounds of it, if you are hitting a 12" plate at 1,000 yards, you are doing damn good. Especially in the wind. I'll eventually revisit the 147 ELDM's and hope I find a really good load for shooting at my 1,400 yard target. It doesn't sound like you need our help anymore buddy. Good job on setting that rifle up right.

This is my first rifle with a chassis and I went with the Mystic Precision Mpod. I think I can say the chassis and Mpod are without any doubt a big part of this shooting system. There are very few I think I pulled that shot moments and sometimes when you think you pulled a bit its still on target. The KRG Bravo has proven to be pleasantly surprising especially for the price. The Mystic Precision Mpod is rock solid as well

I'd say tracking on the Bushnell DMR3 is dead on as well beings I was on the plate my first shot. The glass is good enouph I can spot hits on paper at 500 yds when the lighting is right. I was surprised I was able to at all. I'm certain a Nightforce will beat it hands down, I was going the budget route and feel I got good bang for my buck. If I ever build something that will reach out to 2000 yds in going with the Nightforce without any doubt.

We have a 1480 yd 2' plate as well and was on it the second shot however after only hitting it twice in ten shots it proved to be to far of a poke to get any reliability out of the 140 eld which we were expecting.

The mountain performance trigger spring is also proving to be about perfect IMO

Overall for a budget rifle it will be a lot of fun to get out there and compete some. I certainly am not expecting to ever win just want to get into the crowd so I can learn
from people who do it a lot more than I do.

The group's you posted look similar to mine only slightly better. I'm useing RL23 for this first load but am going to try some NV555 next. With RL23 you run out of room in the case and if you don't find a good seating node right away can run into problems with compressing the load to much and the bullet doesn't want to consistently seat. I was fortunate that my lands in my CTR barrel landed at 2.860 and I found mags that fit the KRG Bravo that are 2.950 length mags. I found a good seating depth between 2.852 and 2.842 that is non temperamental. I loaded at 2.850 and went shooting. Most mags for the 6.5 are 2.820 in length and with a mag that short I would never have had the room to get RL 23 to work in my rifle IMO

That's pretty cool to hear your finding time to have fun with the varmint silhouette shooting crowd. It certainly brought a smile to my face to hear that and thanks for sharing BSA it's appreciated

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

This is my first rifle with a chassis and I went with the Mystic Precision Mpod. I think I can say the chassis and Mpod are without any doubt a big part of this shooting system. There are very few I think I pulled that shot moments and sometimes when you think you pulled a bit its still on target. The KRG Bravo has proven to be pleasantly surprising especially for the price. The Mystic Precision Mpod is rock solid as well

I'd say tracking on the Bushnell DMR3 is dead on as well beings I was on the plate my first shot. The glass is good enouph I can spot hits on paper at 500 yds when the lighting is right. I was surprised I was able to at all. I'm certain a Nightforce will beat it hands down, I was going the budget route and feel I got good bang for my buck. If I ever build something that will reach out to 2000 yds in going with the Nightforce without any doubt.

We have a 1480 yd 2' plate as well and was on it the second shot however after only hitting it twice in ten shots it proved to be to far of a poke to get any reliability out of the 140 eld which we were expecting.

Overall for a budget rifle it will be a lot of fun to get out there and compete some. I certainly am not expecting to ever win just want to get into the crowd so I can learn

The group's you posted look similar to mine only slightly better. I'm useing RL23 for this first load but am going to try some NV555 next. With RL23 you run out of room in the case and if you don't find a good seating node right away can run into problems with compressing the load to much and the bullet doesn't want to consistently seat. I was fortunate that my lands in my CTR barrel landed at 2.860 and I found mags that fit the KRG Bravo that are 2.950 length mags. I found a good seating depth between 2.852 and 2.842 that is non temperamental. I loaded at 2.850 and went shooting. Most mags for the 6.5 are 2.820 in length and with a mag that short I would never have had the room to get RL 23 to work in my rifle IMO

That's pretty cool to hear your finding time to have fun with the varmint silhouette shooting crowd. It certainly brought a smile to my face to hear that and thanks for sharing BSA it's appreciated

Thanks for the info on the KRG. I've shot a Christensen Arms with one and it was pretty nice. I'll definitely keep that in mind for my second CTR. I'll probably also re barrel that one to a 6GT one of these days too. You did good on your scope choice. Mr. John Hondo was good to suggest that one. He's a shooter and one I would listen to here. That is also very good that you doing that well at 1480 yards. That is a long shot. I've yet to hit my 12" plate on the first shot at that distance on the first shot. Last time out, it took me 4 shots to get dialed in, but the wind was fn with me. At that distance the wind can really screw with you, especially if you are shooting in canyons like i do. I think the updrafts get me more than anything. Keep us posted on how that NV555 does for you. Its Vihtavuori, so it should work well. Have you watched any Jack Neary videos on youtube? That guy uses a lot of the Viht powder and explains stuff very well. I watched a video on your MPOD bi pod and it looks slick and pretty solid. Much more stable than the Harris I use. One very impressive bi-pod I saw at the match last month was an Accu tac FC5 G2. That is one bad azzed bi-pod that allows you to cant and also pan, which makes it quicker to get on multiple targets at varying ranges. Your thread is a good one and I can see guys using your info, as it looks like you are doing things right.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

What velocity are you getting out of R23 with the 140s? Heavily compressed?

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

What velocity are you getting out of R23 with the 140s? Heavily compressed?

John

I was at 2750 with 45.3 grains and CCI450 primers on a new 24" CTR barrel. Powder is about 2/3 up the neck of the case useing lapua small primer brass. Not heavily compressed but compressed. My son in law has a 6.5 creed ruger precision and we get 2830 with 45.5 grains in lapua small primer brass with CCI450.

Both guns with 140 eldm
Not useing a drop tube

Last edited by Trystan; 05/05/22.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trystan,

A trick you can use to settle that powder if you do not want to use a drop tube is to take a second case tray and place it upside down over the tops of the charged cases. Then holding it together like a sandwich you can press it against the top of your case tumbler and the vibration will really settle the powder in the case. I've used that to get heavy charges of N150 settled into .308 Palma loads.

Mike

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Mike, thanks for the tip

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Shoot white AR500 plating and your hits will show up like a five carat diamond in a Billygoats ass!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Trystan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Yes indeed! We use white spray paint and can see hits plain as day

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.