Still in.

Last edited by kaboku68; 02/21/22.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Either one you already have will work fine. When hunting, recoil usually is a non issue.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One of my first moose clients killed with 308 and barnes 168 ttsx. Much better results than same well placed shots later client with 338 Win mag and 225 partitions. But both moose died.

Carolyn had her shooting partner rebarrel a 243 to 6.5 creed. I wanted lapua X47 but since others she hunts with have creed and I'm not always around, the creed made sense. Swap ammo etc...

Since then we have taken coyotes to 1100 yards basically with it. And of course much closer deer and pigs and such. Longest deer shot was a bit over 550. Longest pig a bit over 600 so far.

You are fine.

Otoh buy what you want .

RE Mainer in AK. Carolyn is small. 110 wet. just under 5 feet. Has shot accurately everything up to 460 wtby. But as she gets older like us all, is getting a bit sensitive to recoil. a round out of a new 458 win mag was a bit much for her tastes. But women typically handle recoil better. In fact the smaller people recoil tends to drift through. The biggest friends we have seem to complain the most about recoil and from watching it seems their bodies STOP the recoil instead of letting it flow through. No clue if my hypotheses is correct.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My daughter just turned 16, 90 lbs with winter boots & clothes on, 14 lb rifle & cow tag in hand ....

300 Long Range Hunter aka 300 LRH or 300 NM PImped (Pro Improved) hahaha
236 gr bullets @ 3146 fps, yup, magnetospeed said so ... multiple times during load development .... one shot, one dead cow STAT, zero fear of recoil or ever any mention of ... because IT WAS NEVER EVER a topic in our hunting scenarios... recoil was NEVER mentioned and said shooter didn't ever pay attention to it, accepting the fact that it is a normal occurrence .... STOP instilling fear into beginners and pushing away those who are interested in trying ..... cannot stress that enough times ....

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If there are chances of big bear encounters: 45 caliber in a Marlin Guide Gun.

Factory fodder with 405 grain slugs hit about 1,300 fps and are mild on the shoulder. Should one hot rod those rounds, however, they can be quite punishing.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/22/22.

1Minute
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Swamplord
My daughter just turned 16, 90 lbs with winter boots & clothes on, 14 lb rifle & cow tag in hand ....

236 gr bullets @ 3146 fps, yup, magnetospeed said so ... multiple times during load development .... one shot, one dead cow STAT, zero fear of recoil or ever any mention of ... because IT WAS NEVER EVER a topic in our hunting scenarios... recoil was NEVER mentioned and said shooter didn't ever pay attention to it, accepting the fact that it is a normal occurrence .... STOP instilling fear into beginners and pushing away those who are interested in trying ..... cannot stress that enough times ....

That worked great. Could have been done with a 243 though and same results. FWIW.

Recoil is there when you pull the trigger. Thats what I teach the youth. Its going to make noise. Its going to recoil. It happens whether you hit or miss. Learn to ignore both. As long as you have a firm grip on the gun and the scope isn't too close, and thats all in the basics, its all going to be just fine.

Although I"ve shot and carried large rounds, the bullet tech has come so far and I'm aging and I don't appreciate the heavier recoil these days. Simple as that. So if the bullets work, then you only need what you need.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1minute

Factory fodder with 405 grain slugs hit about 1,300 fps and are mild on the shoulder. Should one hot rod those rounds, however, they can be quite punishing.

These posts keep coming up. Fact is with the right bullet any bear can be stopped. Bullet choice and shot placement trump caliber all day long.

Heck my puny 10mm will kill a bear. Phils puny 9mm killed a bear. Fact is to stop a bear asap its gotta be CNS and thats enough bullet and shot placement. All the extra is just that. Extra.

Before I'd go get a heavier thumper that limits range, like a 45-70, I'd just get some heavy for caliber solid copper bullets if I was worried about it. Put em in the chamber and mag. Carry hunting bullets along. Its awful rare you don't have time to eject a round and slip in a hunting round or if like me, carrying cold, open the bolt and slip in something better so to speak. That said barnes tsx and ttsx cover both categories really well and backed up with Berger target bullets and a zero, you are covered from 300 in and 300 out really.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L

Bearanoia abounds! Worse than recoilanoia. smile. I have a feeling that has a severe rainbow trajectory? Most of my 80? caribou have been taken 200 yards and out, so a brick may not be the best choice for that hunt.

Personally, I think I'll hunt caribou with my .338WM (MOA 250 gr H. RN handholds) this year. In the last 12-14 years, I've put 3 rounds through it, last July. It's still "on", but starting to pout. I used a Rem 770 Wallyworld Special in .30-06 last year, a 725SA in .260 and a M70 7X57 the year before, a M98 in 30-06 the year before that. I've a hankering to take one with the '94, aperture sights..... Maybe carry both the 30-30 and .338WM - see what turns up.... smile

I've killed moose with .243, .270. 30-06, .338WM., 12 ga. slug, 30-30, and finished several road-hit ones with a .22Mag handgun. Caribou don't die either harder or easier.

They all work with good placement under the right conditions.

Last edited by las; 02/22/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
7mm-08 would be a good round, wife has one in a Kimber 84M, it's one of the lightest rifles I've ever carried.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las

Bearanoia abounds! Worse than recoilanoia. smile. I have a feeling that has a severe rainbow trajectory? Most of my 80? caribou have been taken 200 yards and out, so a brick may not be the best choice for that hunt.

Personally, I think I'll hunt caribou with my .338WM (MOA 250 gr H. RN handholds) this year. In the last 12-14 years, I've put 3 rounds through it, last July. It's still "on", but starting to pout. I used a Rem 770 Wallyworld Special in .30-06 last year, a 725SA in .260 and a M70 7X57 the year before, a M98 in 30-06 the year before that. I've a hankering to take one with the '94, aperture sights..... Maybe carry both the 30-30 and .338WM - see what turns up.... smile

I've killed moose with .243, .270. 30-06, .338WM., 12 ga. slug, 30-30, and finished several road-hit ones with a .22Mag handgun. Caribou don't die either harder or easier.

They all work with good placement under the right conditions.

Oh man, we must be thinking alike. I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye I need to bloody in .338. It didn’t get used at all last year and in 2020 I carried it near hunting, but no luck. I’ve got two nice loads worked up for it one with IMR 4064 and 210 gr Nosler partitions and the other with Accurate 4350 and Barnes 210 TTSX. I’m also working up three more loads with 225 TTSX, 250 NOS Partitions and another with 225 TSX.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by rost495

That worked great. Could have been done with a 243 though and same results. FWIW.

Recoil is there when you pull the trigger. Thats what I teach the youth. Its going to make noise. Its going to recoil. It happens whether you hit or miss. Learn to ignore both. As long as you have a firm grip on the gun and the scope isn't too close, and thats all in the basics, its all going to be just fine.

Although I"ve shot and carried large rounds, the bullet tech has come so far and I'm aging and I don't appreciate the heavier recoil these days. Simple as that. So if the bullets work, then you only need what you need.

not disagreeing with the 243 Win on a 60 yard cow, might have been a bit slower to lay down then maybe not, I've seen a 243 kill a big bull faster than a 7mm Rem Mag but it all boils down to bullets used and where they are placed, my daughter was not inexperienced before the hunt, she was quite fond of shooting my 338 Edge at Birchwood on the 300 yard 22" gong, never missed once from my recollection, she'd see "all growd up" men on benches to the left & right shooting 270's and '06's and miss the gong, got her mad and she'd freak "but Dad, they have scopes ?" hilarious stuff

her cow moose hunt was also a new bullet & new cartridge test

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Either caliber would certainly work. The .308 provides a little more power if bears and moose are in the area. A .308 load with a 150 grain TTSX will give lots of penetration and very moderate recoil.

Most important: do these rifles fit your petite wife well? Everyone shoots much better using stocks with the right LOP.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

not disagreeing with the 243 Win on a 60 yard cow, might have been a bit slower to lay down then maybe not, I've seen a 243 kill a big bull faster than a 7mm Rem Mag but it all boils down to bullets used and where they are placed, my daughter was not inexperienced before the hunt, she was quite fond of shooting my 338 Edge at Birchwood on the 300 yard 22" gong, never missed once from my recollection, she'd see "all growd up" men on benches to the left & right shooting 270's and '06's and miss the gong, got her mad and she'd freak "but Dad, they have scopes ?" hilarious stuff

her cow moose hunt was also a new bullet & new cartridge test

All makes sense on your and my posts.

Man those bullets have a big tip on them. Makes me uncomfortable. Like the old. ballistic tips. LOL.

BTW good job on your daughters part.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Auto spellcheck....... "Handloads", not handholds,... They are heavy bullets, but insufficient if thrown. smile.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
One of my first moose clients killed with 308 and barnes 168 ttsx. Much better results than same well placed shots later client with 338 Win mag and 225 partitions. But both moose died.

Carolyn had her shooting partner rebarrel a 243 to 6.5 creed. I wanted lapua X47 but since others she hunts with have creed and I'm not always around, the creed made sense. Swap ammo etc...

Since then we have taken coyotes to 1100 yards basically with it. And of course much closer deer and pigs and such. Longest deer shot was a bit over 550. Longest pig a bit over 600 so far.

You are fine.

Otoh buy what you want .

RE Mainer in AK. Carolyn is small. 110 wet. just under 5 feet. Has shot accurately everything up to 460 wtby. But as she gets older like us all, is getting a bit sensitive to recoil. a round out of a new 458 win mag was a bit much for her tastes. But women typically handle recoil better. In fact the smaller people recoil tends to drift through. The biggest friends we have seem to complain the most about recoil and from watching it seems their bodies STOP the recoil instead of letting it flow through. No clue if my hypotheses is correct.

458Win's daughter reportedly uses her 416 Rem on everything, including Caribou.

But, she's young and tough (Phil's daughter, what else would you expect). That doesn't make it the best choice for everyone, but seems to work pretty well for her. And from all accounts she can shoot it. But again, what would one expect, otherwise?

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by las
Auto spellcheck....... "Handloads", not handholds,... They are heavy bullets, but insufficient if thrown. smile.

That was great wink You need pen another book, las!

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have an old Ruger (tang safety) in 6mm Remington. It shoots 95 grain Partitions very well and is three for three (with one bullet each) on cow moose. Oldest hunter using said rifle was 14 years of age. Your wife is well armed with either of those. . .

My guess is that she will forget the weight of either the moment she espies a Caribou, and will not notice the recoil when she shoots wink

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Not much a 308 WCF won’t handle,110gr-200gr load from varmint to moose. Simply can’t go wrong in the field with a 308 WCF.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
back when the Tikka T3's appeared, bought the gal a Tikka T3 in 300 WSM to replace the bigger, heavy Win70 300 Win Mag she was using for a number of years, and she used it to take a couple of big bull moose and never mentioned recoil, It was understood that it's what guns do and there was nothing to fear ..... , couple years later I had Homer Strickland (RIP) install a muzzle brake and she's taken a bunch of big bull moose with it over the years, again never mentioning recoil or lack of

most guys overstate the recoil thing and then mess up the minds of women & kids , instilling the mania/fear of recoil even though it's not that bad, I suppose it makes them feel like their piddly little guns are some monster recoiling demons and they talk loudly about it with their buddies .... "Man the 7 Mag kicks" ... Fer realz ?

a rifle is supposed to recoil and if it doesn't outright hurt like a 458 Lott then there's nothing to worry about

I agree with you.
I introduced my gf, now wife to shooting. Started her with a 257 Roberts. Bought her a Nosler M48 280AI which she used for deer and a bull moose. Last year she wanted more power so I got her a Nosler M48 Mountain Carbon in 30 Nosler. She killed a deer and black bear with it. She loves that rifle and shoots it out to 800 yards. She shot my 338 RUM and said it wasn't that bad. She knows recoil is what it is.
JD338

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

You are fine.

Otoh buy what you want .

458Win's daughter reportedly uses her 416 Rem on everything, including Caribou.

But, she's young and tough (Phil's daughter, what else would you expect). That doesn't make it the best choice for everyone, but seems to work pretty well for her. And from all accounts she can shoot it. But again, what would one expect, otherwise?

DF

no flies on the 416. Had I found a used one instead of a 458 I'd have gone that way. But honestly as I age the recoil isn't as much "fun" as it used to be. As long as we aren't hunting with a. ballistic tip and place it right, it really doesn't take that much. Stopping a wounded or charging something, thats a totally different story and why a guides gun should and could be different than a hunters. This fall for moose I'm going old school to a M1 Garand,. But it will stop charges as needed. If that would ever happen. And generally the 458 is in camp if we manage to do a bad oops like gut shoot a bear or such.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,883 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.