24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
G
I’ve used Citri-Strip Klein-Strip and Safety-Strip for years as the least invasive/destructive means I know of. I’ve used sandblasting and oven cleaner (in my early days) but that is an extreme in my experience which means I wouldn’t recommend them for anything you prize. The aforementioned strippers are not going to be the fastest way forward and in some instances will require multiple cycles of coat-scrub-wipe-rinse (always scrub with a greenie pad and hot water to rinse, it pops some dents out!) which means time but it does not harm the wood. Pick your tolerance for time/damage and proceed. Best wishes with your project, I’ve a CZ 452 I’m very fond of, fine rifles.

“I have never learned from a man who agreed with me.”
R. Heinlein
American patriot
BP-B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a 700 BDL stock that needs stripped and refinished.
If I take it to a furniture stripper and have it dipped, will that remove the Remington gloss finish? Will it damage the polymer tip and grip cap?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've not found anything to surpass Jasco - it does need time to work on polyurethane-based finish like the glossy crap Remington put on a lot of their long guns. I would definitely tape off any tenite tips and grip caps.

Last edited by Offshoreman; 02/27/22.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
OP.. How did it go? What did you end up trying?

Things that matter the most should never be at the mercy of things that matter the least.
I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Alex - I haven’t had a chance to try it yet. The weather has been very up-and-down and I’d be working in a non-climate controlled garage. I didn’t know how this may affect the chemicals - especially when it was down below freezing for days straight.

I’ll be giving it a go come spring/summer when the weather stays warmer and more consistent!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I strip lots of parts. I have found that a heat gun is your friend. Clean the finish good with lacquer thinner, scuff lightly with 80 grit. Warm it up and apply aircraft stripper. The good stuff will give you a blister in 2 seconds so wear gloves and sleeves

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

I
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I strip lots of parts. I have found that a heat gun is your friend. Clean the finish good with lacquer thinner, scuff lightly with 80 grit. Warm it up and apply aircraft stripper. The good stuff will give you a blister in 2 seconds so wear gloves and sleeves

Can you provide a link to the aircraft stripper that you use?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The stuff i use comes in 5 gallon drums and is not sold to normal consumers. It contains DICHLOROMETHANE and PHENOL.

MIL SPEC. IS. MIL-R-81294D

NRA Benefactor Member

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The stuff i use comes in 5 gallon drums and is not sold to normal consumers. It contains DICHLOROMETHANE and PHENOL.

It's old an possibly not available anymore.

I did have some aerosol "Bowman" brand that contained METHYLENE CHLORIDE, that was bad a$$ stuff too.

polyurethane remover

This is current product

Last edited by dennisinaz; 03/24/22.

NRA Benefactor Member

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

It's old an possibly not available anymore.

I did have some aerosol "Bowman" brand that contained METHYLENE CHLORIDE, that was bad a$$ stuff too.

polyurethane remover

This is current product

Do you glow in the dark after using that ? grin

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I try not to

NRA Benefactor Member

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

A buddy and I once stripped a 1956 Austin-Healey in prep for restoration by using aircraft stripper. In our zeal we went at it without gloves. Boy did the paint just peel off. While washing up afterwards I noticed one layer of skin after another slough off the back of my hands. No aftereffects when I dried off but it scared the bejesus out of me. Lessons learned the hard way....

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Last Remington stock, I ended up using a heat gun. Worked great.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I have a Remington 700 factory stock I want to refinish so I just tried the lacquer thinner on it. No results.

remington is the most difficult to deal with

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by texken
Originally Posted by Jim1611
I have a Remington 700 factory stock I want to refinish so I just tried the lacquer thinner on it. No results.

remington is the most difficult to deal with

There are many every bit as difficult.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Citristrip is a pain.

Huh? It's about as easy as it gets.

I'll lay the stock down on a sheet of tinfoil, citristrip it, wrap it up tight which helps keep it from drying...and leave it for hours, gets a majority of it off, then just spot do the stubborn places. I'll then put the stock in a hot dishwasher with water only. Cleans it up and pulls out scratches and small dings.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 280shooter, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,955 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,669
Posts18,399,403
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.