Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by WAM
I guess if the 7mm Remington Magnum is the question, then the 7mm Weatherby is the answer.

The same can be said about the 7mm practical and Mashburn. However the 7mm rem mag is easier to find ammo for in the store. Even easier than the WBY. Hell, if the 7mm rem mag is good, maybe the 8mm rem mag is even better? What's the real answer? 7mm08.... Life's too short to just use one cartridge. That's just plain boring as hell. It's like only using Leupold optics or driving the same car all your life..

Hard to beat the 7 Rem Mag for the do all and being able to find multiple kinds of ammo right now. Seems like a god variety of it is available right now.

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by WAM
I guess if the 7mm Remington Magnum is the question, then the 7mm Weatherby is the answer.

The same can be said about the 7mm practical and Mashburn. However the 7mm rem mag is easier to find ammo for in the store. Even easier than the WBY. Hell, if the 7mm rem mag is good, maybe the 8mm rem mag is even better? What's the real answer? 7mm08.... Life's too short to just use one cartridge. That's just plain boring as hell. It's like only using Leupold optics or driving the same car all your life..

Hard to beat the 7 Rem Mag for the do all and being able to find multiple kinds of ammo right now. Seems like a god variety of it is available right now.

I like the cartridge. It is very manageable too. Maybe even more so than a 30-06. At least the 2 I have right now are very sweet shooters. A new shooter should be able to handle the recoil of the 7mm rem mag too, which is a big plus.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
mule deer: I certainly am NOT upset - but I am surprised YOU are so stupid!
Sheesh.
Small man syndrome on full display - learn to live with it - or don't, I don't care.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dozens of elk killed with a 30-06 and 165 grain Hornady spire points. Dozens…

But now I take a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain NBT when I go elk hunting. One jerk blasting through a long stalk I had worked on for nearly an hour changed all that. Now I can shoot from a half a mile away and not have to be so sneaky…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I’ve come to the conclusion where I said the 270 could’ve done every one of my elk in.

I haven’t stooped to a 308 as of yet…. Maybe the 7-08 is close enough whistle

And DUH on the 7 Rem…. Sheesh have you not heard of us folks using the 7 Mashburn, aka the 7 Rem Mag Improved….

I love my 7mm08 and did take a bull last year with it. It worked well. The one rifle I did not look at and say, "damn Brad was right".. ha ha.. As for 7mm rem mag. Sweet cartridge buddy. I was looking at some of my recent targets from both of my new to me 7mm rem mags and today I realized the BOSS is shooting slightly better than the Classic synthetic. After leaving the range earlier today I thought to myself I would not change a damn thing on that rifle though. Even though I put the old Leupold back on it:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That SOB is staying on there!!! Been swapping that scope around from rifle to rifle and it is without fail. Like you told me in a PM, it will probably break my heart one day though.. Until then, I'm going to use it. Also, those 140gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tips will be some elk slaying pills. I felt guilty for shooting the rest of them up.. Know where I can find more... ha ha..

Really like the looks of that rifle.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I’ve come to the conclusion where I said the 270 could’ve done every one of my elk in.

I haven’t stooped to a 308 as of yet…. Maybe the 7-08 is close enough whistle

And DUH on the 7 Rem…. Sheesh have you not heard of us folks using the 7 Mashburn, aka the 7 Rem Mag Improved….

I love my 7mm08 and did take a bull last year with it. It worked well. The one rifle I did not look at and say, "damn Brad was right".. ha ha.. As for 7mm rem mag. Sweet cartridge buddy. I was looking at some of my recent targets from both of my new to me 7mm rem mags and today I realized the BOSS is shooting slightly better than the Classic synthetic. After leaving the range earlier today I thought to myself I would not change a damn thing on that rifle though. Even though I put the old Leupold back on it:
That SOB is staying on there!!! Been swapping that scope around from rifle to rifle and it is without fail. Like you told me in a PM, it will probably break my heart one day though.. Until then, I'm going to use it. Also, those 140gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tips will be some elk slaying pills. I felt guilty for shooting the rest of them up.. Know where I can find more... ha ha..

Really like the looks of that rifle.

Thanks MacKaysagebrush. It's a sweetheart. Here's a better pic:
I put a used American made Burris FFII on it that I found on ebay and it shot very well:
However, I ended up putting the Leupold Tactical back on it. That poor scope. I've only had it for a little over a month now and it's been on a few different new rifles for testing.

I've had that rifle for about a month now, as well, but glass bedded it, fine tuned the trigger, replaced the recoil pad and painted the stock. It weighs in at 8 pounds with the Leupold on board. Not a bad packing around weight and its well balanced (as seen in the pic above). It's proving to be a very good 5 digit classic. Really liking it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

But now I take a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain NBT when I go elk hunting. One jerk blasting through a long stalk I had worked on for nearly an hour changed all that. Now I can shoot from a half a mile away and not have to be so sneaky…

Alright Zumbo. I guess that's good enough reason to use the 300WBY. Even if you were just joking around.. Here's mine:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Alright Zumbo. I guess that's good enough reason to use the 300WBY. Even if you were just joking around.. Here's mine:

I don't know about Zumbo, but I doubt there are many people here that have killed more elk.

I don't spend much time with targets, mostly hunting and shooting critters of all sizes. The 300 Weatherby does give me the range I don't have with the 30-06, but the '06 never did let me down.

No targets to show, I just check the gun on a small rock every now and then, and then go hunting...

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Some nice bulls in that crowd Kirk!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I don't know about Zumbo, but I doubt there are many people here that have killed more elk.

I don't spend much time with targets, mostly hunting and shooting critters of all sizes. The 300 Weatherby does give me the range I don't have with the 30-06, but the '06 never did let me down.

No targets to show, I just check the gun on a small rock every now and then, and then go hunting...

Nice rifle. Looks like it's worked damn well over the years..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some very nice bulls. Congratulations. Great caliber too.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by cwill
I have been looking and lusting over new rifles and new cartridges. Every time I look at ballistics and manageable distances (400 yds which is what I would limit myself to.) the common calibers seem to be just as effective. The question I pose is should I stick with a tried and true classic 30/06, 270, 7mm mag? Or a new chambering in one of the high B.C. Offerings?

not an expert on the subject of elk, but I have killed 9 of them. 7 with a 270 and 150gr Nosler partitions, and 2 with 30-06 and 180 grain Hornady spire points. I can't say for sure, but the elk all seemed to die in a similar fashion. be it a 270, 7mm mag, 308, 0r 30-06, all will kill an elk just fine. Personally, I would stay with the old standbys because Ammo is going to be more readily available and cheaper. arguments can be made for more whiz bang (been there, done that) but in the end, you are far better off picking a caliber, buying lots of ammunition and practicing shooting . good luck !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I've taken more elk with my 7mm RM than any other cartridge (and most of them put together), at 400 yards max I would be perfectly comfortable hunting them with a 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 280AI, 308 Win or 30-06. Of course the 6.5PRC, 7mm RM and 300WM would be perfectly acceptable too, as would a 338WM and a bunch of other cartridges.

If you are looking for something new, wait until the 7mm PRC rifles and ammo become available this fall. 180g bullet at 2950fps, 2000fps and 1600fpe at 910 yards. I have a bunch of "elk" rifles but I've been waiting for the 7mm PRC for several years and have a donor Savage action and stock waiting for a pre-threaded barrel now that the 7mm PRC specs have been announced.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Well I feel under gunned. I'm using a Savage 99 in .300 , this year again. Irons no scope. I will bring a scoped rifle in 30-06 just for drill! Lots of good info here, wading through it is interesting. Many all saying the same thing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heym06
Well I feel under gunned. I'm using a Savage 99 in .300 , this year again. Irons no scope. I will bring a scoped rifle in 30-06 just for drill! Lots of good info here, wading through it is interesting. Many all saying the same thing.

Nothing wrong with that. My elk hunting partner packs his 1949 Winchester model 94 30-30 half the time. That rifle is so cool, it is missing all of its bluing and finish on the wood stocks. I used to feel sorry for the rifle, but have come to appreciate it over the years. The last elk he shot with it was a wounded spike. He shot it in the back of the head as it ran past him. He's the funniest guy because he despises most cartridges for elk hunting. Cant stand the 7mm rem mag for some reason. I think in his mind, he thinks the only good elk cartridges are the 338wm and his 30-30..

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elk are not bullet proof.
Put one in the boiler room and you’ll be fine.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Private ranches and elk farms and Missouri breaks isn't elk hunting. It's elk shooting. I used to live in Gallatin area and if you have access to private property is a Prairie dog shoot more or less. Same with deer hunting up the Boulder.

I've killed more animals hitting my vehicle than I ever did hunting around private property

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Private ranches and elk farms and Missouri breaks isn't elk hunting. It's elk shooting. I used to live in Gallatin area and if you have access to private property is a Prairie dog shoot more or less. Same with deer hunting up the Boulder.

I've killed more animals hitting my vehicle than I ever did hunting around private property

Well, you wasted everyone’s time posting that tidbit. In your haste to make your proficiency claim of animals hitting your car, you need to pay more attention to the theme of the thread about what “rifle” for elk. It doesn’t matter if you kill it in the mall parking lot, the question is about killing elk with a rifle not where you kill it….

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tough crowd!! 😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker

Well, you wasted everyone’s time posting that tidbit. In your haste to make your proficiency claim of animals hitting your car, you need to pay more attention to the theme of the thread about what “rifle” for elk. It doesn’t matter if you kill it in the mall parking lot, the question is about killing elk with a rifle not where you kill it….
I don't hunt game farms

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16Racing, 163bc, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 55 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,673
Posts18,456,052
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.