Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
C
cwill Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have been looking and lusting over new rifles and new cartridges. Every time I look at ballistics and manageable distances (400 yds which is what I would limit myself to.) the common calibers seem to be just as effective. The question I pose is should I stick with a tried and true classic 30/06, 270, 7mm mag? Or a new chambering in one of the high B.C. Offerings?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Do you reload or shoot factory fodder?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You named pretty three iconic chamberings that have gotten it done with aplomb for decades.

But if it’s permission you seek to buy a new rifle, you’ve come to right place. 😊

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you looking to purchase a factory rifle or have a custom built?

Do you handload?

When I've acquired an elk rifle, as long as it was in an appropriate chambering for elk I wasn't too concerned - it was mostly about the rifle. I've hunted elk with a 270, 30-06, 300wsm, 300wm, 338wm, 338RUM, and most consistently with best elk round made - the 7STW. whistle

C
cwill Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I reload, own more then one 30/06 but am always chasing the next best thing. I am just trying to justify the high bc cartridges being sold as the next best hunting rig?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
all three that you mention will work great on elk, i personally use a MK V ultralite in 300 Weatherby and barnes tsx. Bullet design and shot placement is key though for pretty much any big game critter

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It sounds more like you are trying to find a persuasive argument for someone else as to why you need a new rifle. If you have a couple reliable, accurate 30-06s that are already killing elk, how are the new cartridges going to kill the elk any deader with the same shot placement? slm9s lists several that kill elk just fine, to which I would add 7mm Mag as also very effective (and good bc).

But as others are already asking, do you reload, etc.. Unfortunately these days you can buy a rifle, but will you be able to get the ammo, dies, or components to be able to USE it? If you just want a new rifle, then you already know the answer.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have killed bulls with the 338-06 (210 Gr Partition and 185 gr TSX), 35 Whelen (225 gr TSX), 375 H&H (260 gr Partition) and 270 Win (140 gr TSX) and all worked about the same.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If the .30-06 is not your daisy, perhaps the .35 Whelen is? I skipped over the ‘06 from a .308 as I didn’t think there was a quantum leap in performance and I hunted where there were lots of big bears. After many successful hunts with the Whelen, I switched to my .300 Weatherby Mark V. Loaded with 168 gr TTSX, it kills like a lightning bolt.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SKane
You named pretty three iconic chamberings that have gotten it done with aplomb for decades.

But if it’s permission you seek to buy a new rifle, you’ve come to right place. 😊

About as well said as it gets.

Semper Fi
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwill
I have been looking and lusting over new rifles and new cartridges. Every time I look at ballistics and manageable distances (400 yds which is what I would limit myself to.) the common calibers seem to be just as effective. The question I pose is should I stick with a tried and true classic 30/06, 270, 7mm mag? Or a new chambering in one of the high B.C. Offerings?

Not sure what you mean by "new chambering in one of the high BC offerings?" If you load high BC bullets in the 7 mag, they'll have the same high BC in any other 7 mm cartridge you want to load for, and enough velocity for anything you want to do.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I reload, own more then one 30/06 but am always chasing the next best thing. I am just trying to justify the high bc cartridges being sold as the next best hunting rig?

You have 2 30-06's. Realistically you are not going to find much better than that. Work on developing a sledge hammer accurate load for your 30-06 rifles you have. 200gr partition comes to mind. Other than that, you are just wanting something different and trying to justify the reasons. You are only going to be shooting to 400 yards. The 30-06 can easily handle that requirement. No problem whatsoever. How many elk have you killed and with what cartridges? Also, as far as high bc is concerned, you don't need a really high bc pill to kill an elk at the range limit you have imposed on yourself. If you are just looking to buy a new rifle, that is fair enough. We all like new rifles, but most of us here don't need a reason or excuse to buy one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 7mm Rem Mag has put 25 elk on the game pole. My late father, late grandfather and my brother all used, or in the case of my brother still use, the 7mm Rem Mag. Between the family I've seen over 100 elk fall to the 7mm Rem Mag. So that gets my vote but feel free to use whatever you want.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MAC
My 7mm Rem Mag has put 25 elk on the game pole. My late father, late grandfather and my brother all used, or in the case of my brother still use, the 7mm Rem Mag. Between the family I've seen over 100 elk fall to the 7mm Rem Mag. So that gets my vote but feel free to use whatever you want.

That would tend to make a believer. smile

Excellent.

Guy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
There is no such thing as a "high BC cartridge". There are high BC bullets which generally work better in a faster twist barrel because the bullets are longer. Go buy some one 190 Nosler Accubonds or some 175 LRXs load them in your 1:10 30-06 modern bolt rifle to 270 pressures and be done with it.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 02/22/22.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You need to buy one of those new fangled 6.8 Western setups.

You owe it to yourself.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Any of those will work just fine. I have taken several bulls with a 30-06 with no issues. Just shoot the behind the shoulder with a decent bullet. If I ever draw another tag I'll most likely use my 6.5 CM with 140gr bullets.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
30.06 out of calibers you listed. All mentioned will kill elk. Personally I like a 308 win or 7mm-08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have all three listed, for me it would come down to the rifle I like most, shoot best, etc. For me, that's my 7mm RM, a Win 70 CRF in a Brown Precision stock with what I believe is a #2 contour Shilen barrel. The 56mm Zeiss Divari on top may be a bit much but I don't mind the extra weight.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Anything less than a .340 Weatherby simply will not work😊…..unless of course it’s a .270, .30-06, .308, various 7mm, etc!

You have what you need - as the others have indicated get the right bullet and your set!

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 02/22/22.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If I were a young guy starting out to buy a big game rifle for everything we have to hunt in this country I think it would be a 30-06. For all practical purposes considering the newer powders we have and better bullets to load with it's even better than it was 40 years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And that, is the definition of a timeless classic!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first elk hunt I was on I carried a 600 Remington 308. I felt that was power enough. But I came within 20 feet from a grizzly. It was following me. After that I carried a 338 Win Mag with 250 grain partitions or a 350 Rem Mag with 250 grain partitions - nothing smaller
Last year I took a 270 with 160 grain partitions - first time with a smaller rifle since the 308 some 50+ years ago. I shot a lead cow at 350 yards and the cow dropped.
So my advice is that a 270, 280, 30-06 or similar is plenty of power with proper bullets. It’s up to you if you will be in grizzly country, As for me, I’m chicken when it comes to something that might hurt me after I shoot it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

I chase the next best thing, too. These days, it's a 30-06 with high BC bullets. But even Partitions still work well within your 400-yard limit--and quite a bit farther.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would you shoot honest elk?

I always tried to focus on the ones whoring around.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim1611
If I were a young guy starting out to buy a big game rifle for everything we have to hunt in this country I think it would be a 30-06. For all practical purposes considering the newer powders we have and better bullets to load with it's even better than it was 40 years ago.

This ^^

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m bias to the old 06.
168 ttsx is my go to for elk, tikka. The ttsx little expensive for range time, but 180 tipped game kings are moa shooters, cheap to shoot and can also be used on elk, deer or ring steel.
270 is my favorite deer round, but is always with me as a back up for elk loaded with 130 ttsx. I load up 140 sst just shy of 3050 FPS for deer and range time.
I don’t think you need 7mag for under 400/500 yard shots. Especially the Extra recoil and expense.

Last edited by Dre; 02/22/22.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you need to decide if you like a short action or a long action.

If you like long actions do you like belted magnum cases.

If short action ……308,358

If long action w/o belt …..3006, 280; 270, 338/06, 35 whelen or 9.3

If belted mag 7 mm or higher

If lever gun…..300 sav, 356,358, or the others listed above

I personally hunt elk often with my Dads 8 x57; pre war Mauser

I ain’t familiar with the newer calibers. But I do believe newer rifles are extremely accurate…..very inexpensive in many cases.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/22/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I can't think of a better rifle for elk than a 338-06 shooting the 210gr Nosler partition. powdr

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I suggest you spend your mental energy and dollars looking for the perfect elk and becoming the perfect elk hunter.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
In grizzly country, I’d want a 338 Win mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RinB

I suggest you spend your mental energy and dollars looking for the perfect elk and becoming the perfect elk hunter.

Wisdom in these words.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I knew a guy who shot a charging grizzly in the center of the chest with a 130 Speer out of a 270. Folded him up like a lawn chair.
I also know a couple guys who have killed about 30 elk with their 270s.

I’ve killed or seen them killed with bullets from .224 on up to .323s both standard and magnum cartridges. The one thing in common is with good placement they die quick and easy. Shoot a leg off and it gets ugly.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have used a 300WSM,338 Win Mag and 25-06
55-415yds all have great with good stout bullets

M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Kudos to the firearm industry for producing and marketing their latest and greatest. It keeps the wheel rolling. The paper punchers and long distance competitive shooters, need every advantage to accomplish their goals. When you shoot over 500 yards, that’s where higher BC bullets excel. Paying $5 per cartridge or more is not a recipe for lots of practice unless you have deep pockets. Finding the right ammo at a fair price is a challenge. Getting belted by a .300 PRC or it’s ilk is not fun. The competitive shooters have heavy rifles to absorb recoil but are not practical for chasing elk in the mountains, you can, but do you really want to. As a young stud, you can do it as a challenge, but do you want to when the years add up. What are you gaining.
The cartridges you have already, such as the .270, .30-06 , 7 mag etc.. can do the job and do it well. If you are a skilled shooter the only variable is the rifle. Take your rifles and shoot them at 400 yards and see their accuracy potential from field positions. Tweaking them to get your desired accuracy and function to your satisfaction. Whether in replacing some parts, skilled gun smithing, optic change etc… don’t feel you have to spend lots of money. 1 moa rifle will give you 4” at 400 yards, that’s plenty for many. Maintain your skill and stay in shape. The elk in the mountains are challenging you, go get them
Best of luck to you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are limiting yourself to 400 yards you realistically will not get your moneys worth out of the high bc bullets. Plain old cup and core will work just as well at 1/3 the cost.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
You certainly don't need a new chambering as your 30-06 is more than sufficient. Put that money that's burning a hole in your pocket toward a first class guided hunt. Take lots of pictures. Over the years the pictures will take you back to the hunt. Having another rifle in your gun safe is just that, another rifle. Ymmv

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I currently shoot 7x57 and a 9.3x62. Both would be adequate elm rifles and the 06 sits in between them. Anything on that spectrum would do with good bullets and good shot placement. Me? I want to be within 50 yards of them.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Where will you be hunting, how will you be hunting. There's all kinds of elk hunting and it's not all created equal.

Shooting an elk in a pasture off hay bales isn't the same as climbing in the mountains all day. A DIY hunt on your own two feet is different than a guided horseback hunt, etc.

What are your current binoculars?

How are your current rifles set up (scopes, stocks, weights, etc)?

There's no way to really answer without more details... but as has been rightly pointed out, this is the right place to come for enablement as noted by most of the above posts smile

An no, you don't need a 338 WM in grizzly country...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When assessing various chambers for elk and shooting distances you could assess PBR and cartridge use. The first thing I would assess is all up rifle weight as roaming high altitude terrain for several days does make a difference, especially with greater age. When looking at various popular chambers and PBR with modern powders, bullets and velocities the 270 Win with 140 gr load is about 310 yards, the 30-06 with 165 gr. load is about 295 yards, the 308 Win with 165 gr. loads is about 276 yards, the 7-08 Rem with 150 gr load is about 288 yards. All will kill an elk quite satisfactorily. Again most elk are shot inside 200 yards and close to 90% no more than 300 yards. All the previous mentioned chambers easily reach 400 yards with aplomb and deliver more than sufficient energy at that distance with right bullet choices and the right placement. For me the lighter carrying the better. But that’s just me. Some would consider only magnum use and that’s fine as well. The 7mm Rem Mag is a great elk cartridge, but in reality at the distances most elk are killed it doesn’t perform any better than the aforementioned chambers.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Unless you want to shoot at game over 500yds the high BC type bullets and newer cartridges really don't offer much over the old standbys. Take a 30/06 loaded with a good bullet of your choosing and you will kill elk quite handily out to 400yds.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As mentioned already, I think boots, optics, packs, fitness, etc, have a much bigger impact on success/enjoyment than the rifle, cartridge, bullet rabbit hole if one is on a public land DIY type hunt.

Most elk are killed with a bone stock rifle, whatever scope the guy behind the counter suggests and whatever cartridges are available at the local gun store.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If I were going elk hunting tomorrow, I would choose one of the three you mentioned. I'd probably go 7mm because: a.) it's super close to a 30-06; b.) I've only killed one elk that I can remember with a 7mm where I've used the other two on several.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
400yds? Any cartridge from .243 and up. Hell some would say .223 77gr tmk and up.....

K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I've gotten to the point where I worry less about the caliber and more about getting in shape and "keeping after it" on the hunt.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
should I stick with a tried and true classic 30/06, 270, 7mm mag
If you can't kill it with one of those, it likely can't be killed at all. They're kind of the big 3 when it comes to elk calibers. Sure there are lots of others that will kill elk, but dead's dead and any of those 3 will get it dead.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A nice, trim 300WM/165-200gr 2.5x8 or 3x9 scope. There ya go! OTOH A handloaded 200gr in your 30-06 is one humdinger of a big game round...just saying. smile I personally don't care for the 7mm RM UNLESS I can get them to really shoot the Nosler 160! smile Have fun pard!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/26/22.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Any of those will be fine.

Stick a good bullet, in the right place, and they will die.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go with what you have. I've hunted since 1981 with my Remington 700--30/06 with a 2.5 x 8 Leupold. Never had a problem killing elk. Instead of a new rifle---I used my money to buy a wall tent, wood stove, cots, camping gear etc. New boots & warm wool clothing helps a bunch. I have also given up handloading. !80 grain plain jane factory ammunition kills elk just as dead as my handloads. My reloads are more accurate but factory ammo is minute of elk.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I started hunting with an 06, and killed my first elk and mule deer in the early 60's. That was my first rifle a 721 Remington, with a Weaver 4 power scope. I killed around 15 elk and 50 deer with that rifle. Somewhere around 1970 i shot a cow elk in central Oregon across a small canyon. I was holding high and broke her knee on her near and far leg, when she went down. I recreated that same scenario a couple of years later, only the bull walked away. I then purchased a post 64 Model 70 in 300 WM, for the grand sum of $150 with a 3X9 Leupold, and went hunting. The scope eventually morphed into a Zeiss with a elevation turret. I have yet to shoot under an elk with that rifle , with the longest shot being 540 yards. Today's scopes and affordable range finders have really been a boon to today's hunter. They allow shots well beyond anything that we imagined in my early days. Where I hunt, most shots are football fields away ( lots of yards) and are done from a prone position with a magnum rifle. Two years ago a young hunter in our group made a one shot kill at over 600 yards, the next day another bull fell at nearly the same range, with a 06. My nearest shot in the last few years was at 200 or so, longest at 410, both with a 280AI. Bullet placement is probably the most critical factor, but right behind it, is energy, the more the batter.

Last edited by elkmen1; 02/27/22.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I reload, own more then one 30/06 but am always chasing the next best thing.

No matter how many cartridges you chase over your hunting career, you’ll wind up back where you began in the end.

I started with a 308 in 78, went thru over two dozen “next best things” & now I much prefer my 308. You cannot deny the capability of the 30-06.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
How about a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI? Nice and light, good B.C on the bullets.

I personally bought a 338WM for elk. Had to put the hunt off, but still have the rifle haha.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I started out elk hunting with a .308 Win, the only center fire rifle that I owned at the time. It did work but I went bigger and smaller over the years, finally landing on .308 Holland & Holland Improved that coincidentally chambers just fine in a .300 Weatherby rifle…..🤣

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
well a lot of what has been said is true.myself when hunting elk and especially in grizz country i start at a 30 mag.have a 300 win and dakota.years ago when i hunted grizz in british columbia where there were and still are some large grizzlies,i stepped up to the 338.99% chance wont be needed.but grizz are no joke.i like myself and my family.good hunting to all.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Under 400 yards your 30-06 with a good bullet will certainly work. I love my 7mm RM and bought it specifically to be able to hunt elk 20 years before I actually got to go. It’s a nice elk gun loaded with 150 grain TTSX good to 500 yards without too much wind. After I tried a 300 Weatherby I’m a huge fan & not going back to the 7mm any time soon.

Agree that great boots & pack are a bigger improvement on your enjoyment of the hunt but having a rifle you know will do the job is great feeling when you finally get to pull the trigger.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Absolutely buy another rifle. It is always the answer. grin

My personal favorite elk rifle cartridge is a 338-06. Have killed/witnessed elk put in the freezer with 243 to 375 calibers. They all worked.

Arcus Venator
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If I owned a couple of .30-06’s, I think I would work up a 175 LRX or 180 Terminal Ascent or similar heavy high BC bullet for a long barreled rifle and a 130 gr TTSX load for the lightest one for deer hunting. Problem solved!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Or just shoot a 180 gr NP and be done with it. Near to far. Big to small. No problemo if one can shoot.

The way life should be.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m going stick my neck out and say that the .270 Win & the 7mm Mag are not very different. I think the 30-06 is a tick more versatile with modern powders & bullets. If I had to choose, I’d grudgingly go with a 30-06 knowing that I love the .270 Win and have killed with it more than any other chambering without fuss - it’s just so shootable & effective that I keep coming back. Again, my words apply to if I were choosing ONE rifle. Fortunately I have not had to make such torturous decisions.

Rationale: The 200gr Nosler Partition was my final thought point in determining where I think differences would be. I don’t know how to describe it but an ‘06 with a 200gr Nosler Partition is truly something very special in the game fields of North America.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think the same thing about a 7x57 for deer hunting with a medium heavy bullet at not-too-fast velocity.

The way life should be.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been looking and lusting over new rifles and new cartridges.

That is enough reason to buy something different than what you already have.

Every time I look at ballistics and manageable distances (400 yds which is what I would limit myself to.) the common calibers seem to be just as effective.

They are, irrespective of what some internet chest thumper wants to tell you (me included).

The question I pose is should I stick with a tried and true classic 30/06, 270, 7mm mag? Or a new chambering in one of the high B.C. Offerings?

It won't matter (see your second quoted portion above). Get a new chambering to you. whether that be "tried and true" or a "newer chambering" It's fun to do.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
with 400 yards being your max range anything from the 243 and up will work elk are not bullet proof

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think you need another rifle!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, I shot my first and only elk (CO) with a .260 140 gr. Corelokt at @ 150 yds. Bang flop.

On the other hand , about the 5th time I came through a screen of brush (locally - prior to the elk hunt)) to find 2 gallons of steaming brown bear crap, I decided the '06 with 180 grain bullets was not enough, so I upgraded to a .338WM , mostly with 250 gr bullets. The '06 always worked fine on moose....

It worked too.

In the 20+ (well- maybe 30-.... times arunning...) years since, I've never encountered another steaming pile of bear crap.

Bears a few times - but mostly when I was unarmed, or distant from the rifle.... smile

Your current rifles are fine. Use the money elsewhere.

Says a gun -sucker.... smile

Last edited by las; 04/01/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes I would stick with one of the tried and true. 270, 30-06 308 7MM Mag or 300 Mag.

I don't know how many elk I have killed in my 56 years of hunting them, but I have owned and used several of the new hot fast super mags. And you are correct. Out to about 500 yards I can see no real difference is the quickness of their deaths between a 270 and a 7MM STW or a 300 Weatherby.

What I can and have seen is the difference between bullets that break apart badly and those the hold together well.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by szihn
Yes I would stick with one of the tried and true. 270, 30-06 308 7MM Mag or 300 Mag.

I don't know how many elk I have killed in my 56 years of hunting them, but I have owned and used several of the new hot fast super mags. And you are correct. Out to about 500 yards I can see no real difference is the quickness of their deaths between a 270 and a 7MM STW or a 300 Weatherby.

What I can and have seen is the difference between bullets that break apart badly and those the hold together well.

Not to mention recoil, and who can handle it for good bullet placement. Which is the be all and end all. Better a lighter caliber with good bullets than an eye-ball rolling flincher magnumamus. (I have a .338 Wm, I can shoot fine, in the field, but 5 rounds at the bench is all I can take - It's served me well for 25 years or so). I don't flinch with the .338, but I love my .260.... smile

Premiums are fine if they float your boat, but most modern C&C are all I use anymore on either caribou or moose, which kinda bracket elk. I won't use Fed Hi-shoks on game, however, from experience.

Last edited by las; 04/01/22.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are high BC bullets for about any caliber out there. You may need to handload them.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
It is said that to reliably, humanly kill an elk, all things being equal (shot placement, bullet characteristics, yadda yadda yadda), something delivering around 1,800 foot pounds of energy would do. The OP mentioned 400 yards maximum range. So get a caliber of rifle that will deliver 1,800 foot pounds of energy at 400 yards. And then be accurate with it.

Not a whole lot more complicated than that.

Last edited by flagstaff; 04/02/22.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It's also easy to overlook the fact that the 1:10 twist in the 30-06 already IS a fast twist. It was originally chosen to stabilize 220-grain bullets in the 30-03, retained when those 1903 Springfield barrels were re-chambered to 30-06, and is now the standard.

Okie John

If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by okie john
It's also easy to overlook the fact that the 1:10 twist in the 30-06 already IS a fast twist. It was originally chosen to stabilize 220-grain bullets in the 30-03, retained when those 1903 Springfield barrels were re-chambered to 30-06, and is now the standard.

Okie John

Thank you for this. Well said.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Good elk rifles are easier to come by than elk tags.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The 30/06 is never a mistake. Well over a hundred years track record, an almost limitless number of manufacturers, bullets, etc.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rickt300
Good elk rifles are easier to come by than elk tags.

Originally Posted by drover

The 30/06 is never a mistake. Well over a hundred years track record, an almost limitless number of manufacturers, bullets, etc.

drover

These two sum it up perfectly.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buy a stainless Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag.
Find some Reloader 26
Find some 162 gr Hornady ELDX
Find some WLRM primers

Then pm me for the recipe.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice Bull Pharm!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I harvested 3 elk at 400-440y, no big deal (no runners) with a 30-06, 165grain at 2900fps at the muzzle
Pharm has a great recipe too

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Get the 30-06; if ammo supply gets dire, you can always find a round or two in every truck glove box in elk country. ;-{>8

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

S
S
Sounds like he needs more convincing.

The 06 has probably taken more elk and most Alaskan game than any other cartridge!
With 180/200s it is right at the starting loads of the 300 mags.
With the 208 ELDX starting at 2650, at 700 yards it has 1500 ft-lbs of energy. That's the typical min for elk.
Is supersonic to 1600 yards.
I love the 270, it's best with a 150 ABLR and can get to 500 yards, but it's not an 06, it stops at the 150s with the 10 twist.
7mm is good but they stop at about the 180s.

If your in big bear country I think you want an 06 with 200s!
But definitely not anything below 7mm

Last edited by Silent_Hammer; 04/03/22.
S
S
BTW, if you're really wanting to go super heavy-for caliber, it's time to go up in caliber!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I felt that was power enough. But I came within 20 feet from a grizzly. . It’s up to you if you will be in grizzly country, As for me, I’m chicken when it comes to something that might hurt me after I shoot it. [/quote]

"What doesn't kill you makes us stronger....except bears...bears will kill you"! lol I'm with you on this Pard!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like a 30/06 but have killed more animals with my 338 than any other caliber, followed by my 30/06. I have 270’s, 7mags, 300win and 300wby magnums plus a bunch of calibers below and above. My choice would depend on where I hunt or plan to hunt. Its still a hard choice for me so I have multiple choices, limited to one, 30/06!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Your 400 yd limit doesn't require anything special or high BC. Get whatever floats your boat and have a great time.

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
50+ years hunting elk and almost that many tagged, I found out long ago it doesn't matter too much what the head stamp is on the cartridge is.Those new "High BC" cartridges won't do it any better. If I were looking at a new rifle,I'd search for the rifle itself and it's attributes rather than what it is chambered in. It would still probably wind up as an .06.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my wife and i have killed many elk and deer with our 6.5 cm and 143 eld x BUT
if i had to choose 1 caliber for everything hands down it would be my 280AI with 155 grain terminal accent
killed many many a big game animal with that rifle for 35+ its the only caliber i used

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, you guys are really disappointing me on this thread. It is apparent the OP wants to buy a new rifle so lets think up ways he can justify it instead of shooting down his ideas?

I've shot elk with 338 WM, 300 WM, 30-06, 300 Weatherby, and buddies have shot them with all of those as well as .270, 280, and several others .... so, armed with all that evidence and feeling comfortable with my choices of rifles, loads, bullets, and scopes, among other things- I went right out a couple years ago and built a 26 Nosler just because it sounded neat and had some of those fancy high BC bullets to its credit. It shoots great, handles like I expected it to since I dropped it in a stock I've had for quite some time, the 4.5 - 14 scope I put on it works perfectly for my type of hunting, and I can find components for it most of the time... so I went out the first year I hunted with it (last year) and promptly shot a spike elk at about 125 yards with it and dropped it like a sack of potatoes.... something anything from a 25-06 up to a 375 H&H could have done, I suppose- but it felt a lot different doing it with my NEW rifle....

So let's get on board here and help this guy buy a new rifle- isn't that what this forum is all about- to help each other with justifiable excuses for new toys?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sheister
Man, you guys are really disappointing me on this thread. It is apparent the OP wants to buy a new rifle so lets think up ways he can justify it instead of shooting down his ideas?

I've shot elk with 338 WM, 300 WM, 30-06, 300 Weatherby, and buddies have shot them with all of those as well as .270, 280, and several others .... so, armed with all that evidence and feeling comfortable with my choices of rifles, loads, bullets, and scopes, among other things- I went right out a couple years ago and built a 26 Nosler just because it sounded neat and had some of those fancy high BC bullets to its credit. It shoots great, handles like I expected it to since I dropped it in a stock I've had for quite some time, the 4.5 - 14 scope I put on it works perfectly for my type of hunting, and I can find components for it most of the time... so I went out the first year I hunted with it (last year) and promptly shot a spike elk at about 125 yards with it and dropped it like a sack of potatoes.... something anything from a 25-06 up to a 375 H&H could have done, I suppose- but it felt a lot different doing it with my NEW rifle....

So let's get on board here and help this guy buy a new rifle- isn't that what this forum is all about- to help each other with justifiable excuses for new toys?

Bob

Good thread. Its always fun to see what others have used and suggest. Glad to see other guys love the 200gr partition as much as I do as well. That is a phenomenal bullet when launched from a 30-06 or 300 magnum. It punches right through elk and kills fast. However, A couple years ago I really wanted to try the 175 LRX in my new to me 300WBY. I felt that bullet and many others (165 and 168TSX/TTSX) like it would work very well on an elk. As for cartridges I've used: I've shot them with cartridges ranging from 7mm08 to 9.3x62mm and have used different bullets, some Sierra gamekings, Partitions, Interlocks and most recently TTSX in the little 7mm08. Hit them right with a good bullet and they all work well. I wonder if the OP has bought a new rifle yet?
I was in the local gunshop the other day and a newbie hunter was in there, asking the shop owner what rifle he should buy for deer and elk hunting. The shop owner was an advocate for the 300wm. I asked the guy if he had ever fired a 300 winny, he said no. I said the recoil is pretty stiff. He said his dad has a 30-06 and it kicks hard. I said he may not like the 300wm then. The shop owner was one that wanted to push magnum rifles on this guy. He really hated it when I told him I shot my last elk with a 7mm08 and it was DRT. Then the shop owner starts talking about shooting them at 1,000 yards. I said the guy is new to rifles and the newbie says, "yeah, I am not even going to try to shoot past 400 yards". I said that is smart. I told him to buy something that he will feel comfortable shooting a bunch and learning the rifle and cartridge, "not something that is going to beat you up". Something like a 308 even works well.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yup. New rifle. Totally needed for us and definitely you. The elk will taste better!

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had a lot of 1 shot kills with a 300 WSM. However, inside of 400 yds, it's no better than my 30-06. It's just a little flatter shooting on long shots. If you don't reload the WSM, though, it can get EXPENSIVE. Most of what I see online runs more than $3/round.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've had a lot of 1 shot kills with a 300 WSM. However, inside of 400 yds, it's no better than my 30-06. It's just a little flatter shooting on long shots If you don't reload the WSM, though, it can get EXPENSIVE. Midway has ammo for almost $70/box of 20.

OUCH!! I'm glad I reload. I've also shot elk with the 300WSM. One spike caught 2 180gr Nosler partitions. One reason I switched it up to 200gr. The 30-06 loaded with that pill flies right through them.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yup. New rifle. Totally needed for us and definitely you. The elk will taste better!

Ha ha.. Yep I agree!!!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I tend not to trust new fangled cartridges that are really just repacked versions of older tried and true ones. I tend not to trust any less than 50 years old and the best ones are over 100. Think 7 mm mauser, 303 british, 9.3x62, 30-06. There are many newer but none really better.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
As has been stated countless times; it’s not about need. Btw, only one of our ~ 20 hunters in our group over the past 16 years has used a .300 WSM. And that was last year and it accounted for a bull, cow elk , and mule deer buck with 180 gr Oryx.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I get the queasies every year I take out anything less than a 300Win, even though I can read all the ballistics charts and Jack O'Connor etc etc. My bottom line, no doubt, go to elk rifle is a tang Ruger in 338Win with either 225 or 250 gr Partitions or Trophy Bonded bear claws. Problem is it weighs 9 1/4 lbs with a Leupy 2.5-8 and it gets heavy at the end of the day. It does drop the elk, however. In contrast, I have killed elk with 7Mag and 30-06 and even a 300Win with first year Accubond 200's and was not happy with the result. They all died, just not as convincingly as the 338. So, what will I carry this year? A 30-06 with 22 in bbl that weighs 7 1/2 lbs and load it with either Hornady interlock 180's or 165s. Will it do the job? I'm reasonably sure it will. Will it give me th absolute confidence the 338 does? No. But like Lefty, now I'm growing old.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Limapapa
I get the queasies every year I take out anything less than a 300Win, even though I can read all the ballistics charts and Jack O'Connor etc etc. My bottom line, no doubt, go to elk rifle is a tang Ruger in 338Win with either 225 or 250 gr Partitions or Trophy Bonded bear claws. Problem is it weighs 9 1/4 lbs with a Leupy 2.5-8 and it gets heavy at the end of the day. It does drop the elk, however. In contrast, I have killed elk with 7Mag and 30-06 and even a 300Win with first year Accubond 200's and was not happy with the result. They all died, just not as convincingly as the 338. So, what will I carry this year? A 30-06 with 22 in bbl that weighs 7 1/2 lbs and load it with either Hornady interlock 180's or 165s. Will it do the job? I'm reasonably sure it will. Will it give me th absolute confidence the 338 does? No. But like Lefty, now I'm growing old.

Load that 30-06 with 200gr partitions and you will have no worries at all. Or hell, do like I did last year and use a 7mm08 with Barnes TTSX bullets.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

>> this is a very good answer << at my age of 69 and a ammo reloader who has shot many many cartridges and reloaded them . the honest answer is simple 30-06

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The most important thing I have learned from being on hunting forums in the last 20+ years is ...

"Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps." crazy

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 06/18/22.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If u got 2 3006 and wanna hunt elk with something new.

Get u a bow.

It will open up a new world

Make u hunt better

And that 06 will seem like a freaking cannon

Last edited by Angus1895; 06/19/22.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pete53

>> this is a very good answer << at my age of 69 and a ammo reloader who has shot many many cartridges and reloaded them . the honest answer is simple 30-06

And at age 61 I'd say the 308 is even "better"... ie, kicks less, kills the same.

But of course the same could be said of even lighter recoiling cartridges like the 6.5 CM and 7-08.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone of those three will work. It just really depends on your preference. My 7mm would only hold three rounds in the mag and one in the chamber. If you want to hold more than four rounds in your rifle, go with either the 30-06 or 270…

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Among the ones capable of taking elk at those distances, pick the one that's financially viable for you - and forget about BC.

Igitur quī dēsīderat pācem, præparet bellum
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’ve hunted elk with 30.06, 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag.
I’ve always used premium bullets(Nosler Partitions, Accubonds and Barnes T-TSXs which I think are still the best option for ensuring good penetration on elk shoulders.
As has been stated in earlier posts, several of the newer powders available today have made standard(classic, non-magnum cartridges) even more effective by safely increasing muzzle velocities by 150-200 fps. I’m a believer as my chrono’ed velocities are proving this to be the case.

I loved how the 300 Win put elk down with authority! It’s a great elk cartridge! But now at 54 yrs, recoil is no longer a rush for me the way it was in my 20s and 30s. I no long own a 300 Win. My 30.06 with 165gr Accubonds moving along at 2,950 fps is my “Big 30” today….still very effective on elk and easier on the shoulder vs the 300 Win.

Having said that, I will be hunting elk this October with a very accurate Win Model 70 shooting 140gr Nosler Accubonds at 3,185 fps with Reloder 26….confidence inspiring to say the least!😁

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 07/17/22.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Chambered rifles you already have shoot high BC bullets. It has nothing to do with buying a new rifle, only barrel twist. A 1-10 twist 30-06 will shoot the most sleek, aerodynamic bullets made for .30 caliber and will produce reasonably high velocities such as 200-215 grain class bullets at 2,600 fps. Plenty of power and distance. The 7mm Rem Mag with the older 1-9.5 twist will shoot 170-180 grain class hunting bullets at about 2,900 fps. Apparently many hunters believe elk are encountered only at 500 yards and greater, when in truth most are shot inside 200 yards. My longest shot was around 250 yards with a 338 Win Mag and 250 grain Nosler Partition and others were around 200 yards down to 130 yards with a 444 Marlin. Most were shot with a 308 Win using 165 Partitions. Lastly, stop concentrating on BC and use a proven bullet like a Nosler Partition, they offer the widest range of effectiveness due to operating at a wide range of working impact velocities from 2,600 fps down to 1,600 fps. Late season bull elk are dug-in and are in heavy timber, many encounters are inside 150 yards in that timber.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I badly want someone to take their kid out and have them shoot a monster elk with a savage axis in 25-06 or something, just to make the point that our obsessing over $5000 rifles and magnums for a damn elk is as ridiculous as it seems.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
I badly want someone to take their kid out and have them shoot a monster elk with a savage axis in 25-06 or something, just to make the point that our obsessing over $5000 rifles and magnums for a damn elk is as ridiculous as it seems.

A lot of elk have been killed by the smaller caliber and or lesser powered cartridges…..but, a lot of elk have been wounded and lost to the same cartridges.

A larger bore, more powerful cartridge certainly doesn’t guarantee an elk in the freezer….. but, a little insurance with said cartridge using a quality bullet (not designed for deer) is a big plus!

My wife killed her first elk with a borrowed .243 Win……never used it again. Even as an inexperienced hunter/shooter she realized that it was a marginal cartridge! She had nothing to prove…..but wants elk in the freezer and hates to see or hear of elk being lost after wounded!

A lesser cartridge, for those that live in elk country, and are accomplished shooters, willing to pass on “marginal” shots, and have many opportunities to bag an elk….are not really handicapped by the lesser cartridge. But, for the hunter that may only have one opportunity in their lifetime to make an elk hunt, a larger, more powerful, flatter shooting cartridge would be a good investment……provided they are not scared of the addition recoil!

For those that have no issues with wounding/losing elk ……..continue using lesser cartridges to try to prove something! Hell, why stop at the .243’s, 25’s, and low power 30’s…..start hunting with a 22 LR and really show how good you are! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/18/22.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It happens every year and with even less.

Originally Posted by mjbgalt

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have killed more than a few Elk with a model 94 30-30, mostly cows, because they are usually a little better eating than bulls, also killed quit a few with a 99 300 savage, contrary to modern thinking Elk are not bullet proof, Elk are harder to find than kill. Rio7

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
mj, when I started hunting this area, I worked for some ranches. I ask the son what he used for elk. He said a .25-06. Years later I hunted with the federal trapper in the Big Horn Basin . I as him what he used. He said he used to use a .25-06, but uses a .300 now, why, he said I got tired of tracking elk. The ranchers son also switched to a .300 for the same reason. You don't need a .300 for elk, but you need something with bullet weight and penetration. I could go on, but you should get the idea. But maybe Ohio elk are easier to kill.

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RIO7
I have killed more than a few Elk with a model 94 30-30, mostly cows, because they are usually a little better eating than bulls, also killed quit a few with a 99 300 savage, contrary to modern thinking Elk are not bullet proof, Elk are harder to find than kill. Rio7

Another reason that the out of state hunter with limited time and opportunities should give themselves a much wider range of opportunities. The “magnums” (more powerful, larger bore, flatter shooting) cartridges are not “needed” ….but certainly give an ethical hunter more opportunities! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
mj, when I started hunting this area, I worked for some ranches. I ask the son what he used for elk. He said a .25-06. Years later I hunted with the federal trapper in the Big Horn Basin . I as him what he used. He said he used to use a .25-06, but uses a .300 now, why, he said I got tired of tracking elk. The ranchers son also switched to a .300 for the same reason. You don't need a .300 for elk, but you need something with bullet weight and penetration. I could go on, but you should get the idea. But maybe Ohio elk are easier to kill.

Just that in every discussion, whether it be tents or rifles or cars or hats, everyone has to defend their choice to the death and argue every inch and insist we spend the max on the best and then it degrades into name calling.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you’re the one responding it may be an articulate, knowledgeable response! If you are the one being responded to…..it’s appears to be a personal attack!

We all have our opinions…..generally established by personal experiences or what we have gained in other manners! memtb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

WCH,

This thread is ending up like most elk-rifle threads do, with the same examples of why somebody might want to use a certain "power level."

So in the interests of balanced viewpoints, I'll mention a local friend, who's in his mid-60s and doesn't really know how many elk he's killed--or want to say, since he grew up in the era when Montana hunters often killed elk that were tagged and eaten by friends and family members. For quite a while he mostly used the 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum, but a few years ago grew weary of the recoil, especially the .300's--but had considerable experience with other cartridges. So around five years ago he started using his .25-06 exclusively, and last fall killed another mature bull with it, no problems.

Now we return to the regular program...which like most such threads tends to go a lot longer than 10 pages....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I loaded up some 30-06 rounds for a buddy of mine. H4895 and 150 TSXs. I ran the ballistics for that combo and wondered why I needed a 300.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

WCH,

This thread is ending up like most elk-rifle threads do, with the same examples of why somebody might want to use a certain "power level."

So in the interests of balanced viewpoints, I'll mention a local friend, who's in his mid-60s and doesn't really know how many elk he's killed--or want to say, since he grew up in the era when Montana hunters often killed elk that were tagged and eaten by friends and family members. For quite a while he mostly used the 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum, but a few years ago grew weary of the recoil, especially the .300's--but had considerable experience with other cartridges. So around five years ago he started using his .25-06 exclusively, and last fall killed another mature bull with it, no problems.

Now we return to the regular program...which like most such threads tends to go a lot longer than 10 pages....

Which bullet in the 25-06 John? Just wondering.

I’d agree with Rio on elk. Hard to find.

Kinda boils down to what a person wants to use. With care most anything mentioned has the ability to work better than arrows or spears. Our new bullets make a lot of stuff relevant that wasn’t so slick 25 years ago.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/18/22.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Know he uses 120s, and they might be Partitions--but it's been a few months since I talked to him about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I think a lot of people see the size of an elk compared to a deer and think it’s going to take a much bigger cartridge just due to the overall body size. What they don’t realize is that the depth to penetrate to the vitals difference between an elk and a deer is only a couple inches. It’s not the overall size of an animal that matters, it’s the depth of the chest across the body.

When you look at animals that way it makes a lot more sense why a 243 class cartridge can cleanly take elk, which I have done myself several times.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
chicoredneck,

I have seen them killed very quickly with similar cartridges even on angling shots. Today's bullets can make considerable difference, but then Partitions always worked pretty well themselves.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Use what you want. I’ve seen elk lost to chitty shooting and to sub-par cartridge choice. If somebody has to ask a bunch of numbnuts what cartridge to use, perhaps he should take up basket weaving or tiddly winks. I’ll be taking a stout .300 and 7mm to the elk mountains. Good hunting

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
6.5 creed for the win!!! 👊🏻

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Use what you want. I’ve seen elk lost to chitty shooting and to sub-par cartridge choice. If somebody has to ask a bunch of numbnuts what cartridge to use, perhaps he should take up basket weaving or tiddly winks. I’ll be taking a stout .300 and 7mm to the elk mountains. Good hunting

👍! memtb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
6.5 creed for the win!!! 👊🏻

I bet you use those heavy high BC bullets in the creed for those long 100 yard shots in the timber too, right? LOL... wink

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you aren’t using a .358 Norma are you even really taking this seriously…

Just kidding, mine has never even seen the elk woods, let alone an elk.

The reality is that the more I shoot a variety the more impressed I am with the .30-06.

In .30 cal I have a .30-06, .30 Gibbs and .300 WM. Inside 400 I would gladly grab the .30-06 everytime. My .300 is a tad heavy but accurate and reliable, my .30-06 is lighter and shoots a wide variety of bullets boringly well, my .30 Gibbs is light, accurate enough with a handful of good elk bullets and has a quirkiness that the other two vanilla chambers do not.

Which I grab would largely be determined by where I hunt and my mood for the day versus any real or perceived differences in performance.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Couldn’t have said it any better myself. My thoughts exactly.

And that 358 looks sharp as hell.

Last edited by beretzs; 07/19/22.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You guys complicate it by having to many rifles.😂

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MedRiver
If you aren’t using a .358 Norma are you even really taking this seriously…

Just kidding, mine has never even seen the elk woods, let alone an elk.

The reality is that the more I shoot a variety the more impressed I am with the .30-06.

In .30 cal I have a .30-06, .30 Gibbs and .300 WM. Inside 400 I would gladly grab the .30-06 everytime. My .300 is a tad heavy but accurate and reliable, my .30-06 is lighter and shoots a wide variety of bullets boringly well, my .30 Gibbs is light, accurate enough with a handful of good elk bullets and has a quirkiness that the other two vanilla chambers do not.

Which I grab would largely be determined by where I hunt and my mood for the day versus any real or perceived differences in performance.

Dandy Jud!! Got any full pics? Love me some stainless/wood 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Thanks! Glad I put it in the wood stock. Had to add a 1/4” spacer and a 1” decelerator to make the stock work but it fits me perfect.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Judman, we must have been posting at the same time, lol

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn I like that. That is a elk hammer. 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by SLM

Exactly……one rifle, cartridge, bullet, load, and zero! I try to adhere to the KISS system! memtb

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There's no difference to 400yds, is there? Imagine an old 200gr Nosler Partition or even an 220gr Hornady roundnose hitting an elk at 400yds. Those have been around for a long long time but I'd wager they'd slam dunk an elk really well. I'm sure someone here has taken larger game with the awesome 30-06.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WAM
Damn elk are so tough to kill you need 2 rifles now. I remember when you needed a 30cal to kill the enemy, now a squirrel rifle gets it done better.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve answered this earlier, but after some consideration:

Some people seem to shoot the 700 NE accurately. I’m not in that crowd! But I find shooting the 300 Weatherby with 200 grain partitions not an issue.

The reason I mention that is some places I’ve hunted there’s very deep and steep ravines and I carry everything such as meat, and if I’m lucky head and antlers, on my back to as close as I can get my pickup. I am in my 70’s and have steel knees and carrying lots of weight out of those ravines is difficult to say the least.

The other thing is bulls will often have a lot more muscle mass than cows. If I had to take a shot other than a standing broad side shot and I want the elk to drop where it stands or to travel only a very short distance I believe that I would want to carry a rifle with power and yet one that I can shoot accurately.

Finally the distance I’m willing to shoot comes into play.
As for me shooting a game animal at long range is just wrong. 350 yards is the longest shot I’ve taken on elk and I only did that as I couldn’t get closer. I was lucky as the cow dropped where it stood.

All these things come into consideration for me. Some places a cartridge like a 270 Win, 7x57, 308, etc. works for me. Other places I’d pick the 300 magnums in H&H, Win, or Weatherby. Further, like I wrote before if I knew there were Grizzlies in the area, that would influence my decision as to what rifle I choose.

Actually asking what is the best elk rifle is similar to asking what’s the best deer rifle. The answer is adult diapers - depends.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM

Agreed. Better than wasting my money sitting in the bank for retiring or something silly like that whistle

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are shooters and there are hunters. Some are both.
I used to spend lots of money on new rifles and still do to an extent, but these days I would much rather spend that money on fuel and plane tickets, as well as tags.

To the OP: My honest opinion is that a 6.5mm of some sort is as good as it gets for elk, assuming adequate bullets of course which is a whole ‘nother discussion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding just how tiny of cartridge a hunter can possibly get by with…

The bull, whose rack is hanging over one of my benches was shot with a 338 Win Mag and 250 grain partitions. That bull was walking into the thick dog hair when I pulled the trigger at dawn; he made it about 25 steps. That bullet entered the Texas heart hole and ended up in the neck. That bull was the largest bodied old bull the butcher in Belle Fourche ever saw and he had been a butcher for about 60 years. It had been kicked out of the heard by a younger bull. Carrying it to the butcher, it was hanging out over the down tail gate on an 8 foot box pickup. All the meat was made into hamburger per the butchers strong recommendation.

Yes, I know a guy who killed an elk with a 25-35. He was pretty sure that was the perfect elk cartridge - didn’t ruin any meat.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "best" elk rifle is whatever the best elk hunter has in his hands.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Pretty much. The 270win is the most available in ammo and components in my location followed by 308win and in the distance is 30-06. A person needs one of these no matter what is chosen just for logistics purposes IMO.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Pretty much. The 270win is the most available in ammo and components in my location followed by 308win and in the distance is 30-06. A person needs one of these no matter what is chosen just for logistics purposes IMO.

Or two.

I used to be laser-focused on the 30-06 because of this idea. Then I stumbled into a shop that only had one box of 30-06 ammo--and it was FMJ. I added a 308 to the stable very shortly thereafter.

Okie John

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by Bugger

The bull, whose rack is hanging over one of my benches was shot with a 338 Win Mag and 250 grain partitions. That bull was walking into the thick dog hair when I pulled the trigger at dawn; he made it about 25 steps. That bullet entered the Texas heart hole and ended up in the neck. That bull was the largest bodied old bull the butcher in Belle Fourche ever saw and he had been a butcher for about 60 years. It had been kicked out of the heard by a younger bull. Carrying it to the butcher, it was hanging out over the down tail gate on an 8 foot box pickup. All the meat was made into hamburger per the butchers strong recommendation.

Yes, I know a guy who killed an elk with a 25-35. He was pretty sure that was the perfect elk cartridge - didn’t ruin any meat.

In my experience bullets make more difference than cartridges.

A friend of mine retired early and started going on dream hunts. One was an Alaskan moose hunt, and he took his trusted old .30-06 with Federal factory ammo featuring 180-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws. The hunt was for 10 days, and on the 9th day he finally found a legal bull (in at least that part of Alaska they had to have a certain number of brow tines, or at least a 50-inch spread).

But it was splashing up the middle of a creek 100 yards away--going away. He got excited, and at the first shot the moose stopped and shook its head vigorously. Before it could start walking again he put one in the same place you did on that bull elk--and the moose splashed over to the shore and fell over dead. He and his guide found the "little" bullet just in front of the bull's heart--and Alaskan moose are a LOT bigger than the biggest bull elk. (The first shot put a hole in the left antler.)

Oh, and the antlers got him an invitation to the annual Boone & Crockett convention for an award as one of the top trophies taken that year.

John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bugger

I know a guy, since passed, who killed 18 bull moose with an Interarms MKX. The MKX was chambered for the 243 Winchester which he always fed whatever was cheapest jn 100gr loadings. These were Alaska Yukon bulls too, roughly twice the size of big bull elk.

I also have killed a bull elk with a shot up the rearend. I missed the Oring and hit the hip socket. But the 130 Nosler out of my 270 made it all the way up to exit behind the shoulder. He didn’t even make it 25 inches as he fell straight down.

Shoot what you can hit them with, use good bullets, and go kill stuff.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There are two separate, different hobbies: Elk hunting, and then there is talking about elk hunting rifles. There is some overlap.
In thirty years of living around elk hunters, a smattering of my own elk hunting, lots of deer hunting, and including a few years selling guns to elk hunters and guides, I am convinced for the hobby of elk hunting, physical conditioning and the ability to place a reasonably accurate shot quickly are the two most important factors.
I don't think there are many elk killed that couldn't be killed with a minute and half rifle, in about any cartridge from the 260 on up, a Nosler Partition and a four power scope.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have an old Marine Raider buddy. I think he's 97-98 this year. After he was fighting the Japs in the Pacific in rubber boats, he used his GI Bill to go to school and become some sorta biologist. His first job was in the territory of Alaska in the late 40's early 50's. He had purchased a Winchester Model 70 270 Win in Washington state before he headed to Alaska. Anyhow, for 20+ years he killed problem bears, caribou, moose, and whatever else he needed to as a Fish Biologist. I asked him one time, being the loony I am what if he ever had any issues killing stuff with it and what ammo he preferred... To the first question he mentioned the 270 worked excellent for all animals, a touch light on big bears but still worked fine. As for ammo, said the Remington ammo of the day worked great and what made it work even better is it was paid for by his agency grin

Kinda brings it all back into a little perspective for me..

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

Last edited by 257Bob; 07/22/22.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have an old Marine Raider buddy. I think he's 97-98 this year. After he was fighting the Japs in the Pacific in rubber boats, he used his GI Bill to go to school and become some sorta biologist. His first job was in the territory of Alaska in the late 40's early 50's. He had purchased a Winchester Model 70 270 Win in Washington state before he headed to Alaska. Anyhow, for 20+ years he killed problem bears, caribou, moose, and whatever else he needed to as a Fish Biologist. I asked him one time, being the loony I am what if he ever had any issues killing stuff with it and what ammo he preferred... To the first question he mentioned the 270 worked excellent for all animals, a touch light on big bears but still worked fine. As for ammo, said the Remington ammo of the day worked great and what made it work even better is it was paid for by his agency grin

That's the best post I've read on the campfire in quite a while.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That leaves me out. I'm still being educated by the SOB's. Kill an elk about every other year, but its still fun as hell.. I try to take a different cartridge out every time, but never know which one I'm going to use or if I'm even going to see an elk.. Success rate in my area is only about 4% each year..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 257Bob
The 7mm RM has been my go-to for decades, it's the upper end of recoil that really doesn't bother me at all, mine in a Brown Precision stock, recoils like a 270. I do notice the recoil of a 300 WM with 180s off the bench, not as much in the field, but practice in field shooting scenarios is not as much fun with the 300 compared to the 7mm.

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

The 7mm rem mag is a sweetheart. I can't believe I actually gave up on them a couple years ago. Then this year got 2 within a month from one another. Been shooting them and realized they are just great. Recoil about like a 30-06 and I can shoot one all day long if I want. My new little 300 RSAUM is much the same way. I'd take that one elk hunting in a heartbeat.. So many great elk cartridges to choose from.. For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

Two great posts pretty much sum everything up. Us loonys have a real hard time accepting the sheer simplicity of the effort - at least I do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

Two great posts pretty much sum everything up. Us loonys have a real hard time accepting the sheer simplicity of the effort - at least I do.

But if we accepted those perfectly logical explanations what excuse would we have to buy new guns in different and exciting chamberings? wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I certainly didn't intend to "haunt" grin

As a certifiable rifle nut myself, I too have used a variety of cartridges on elk. When I started out I was certain a 22" bbl'd M70 338 WM was the "ultimate" elk rifle. And while it still might be, I just don't want to pack or shoot the "ultimate" elk rifle. As I shot more elk, and saw more elk taken by others, I realized the standard rounds like 30-06, 308 or 270 were more than enough, could be built lighter, and were more fun to shoot. The 308 has always "spoken" to me, so that's mostly where I've hung my hat, but I've also taken bulls with the 30-06 and 270 and could be happy with those too (though I do prefer the 270).

My Rifle Nut card expired a few years ago and I haven't renewed it. I've pretty well settled into the 6.5 CM, 308 and 270 (I have all three) for the rest of my life. I do have a pretty little wood stocked 257 Rbt's too in case I ever take up tree stand whitetail hunting again. There's nothing like sitting in a deer stand wiling away the hours with a pretty piece of walnut wrapped around chromoly sitting in one's lap.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I know an older hunter who got a .338 Winchester Magnum in the 1980s, and hunted with it a lot for the next dozen years, from Alaska to Africa, along with several other cartridges. These days he says, "The .338 is a great cartridge. In fact its just as good as the .30-06!"

John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300 wsm
200gr accubond at 2,900
168gr ttsx at 3,200
150gr wtf ever at 3,400
130gr ttsx at 3,600
125gr nbt low recoil loads if your're bored or bringing up a kid...

Need RL 17 and H4350.

Nothin you can't do with it.

Kimber MT platform, good 3-15 ish type scope and live happily ever after.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know an older hunter who got a .338 Winchester Magnum in the 1980s, and hunted with it a lot for the next dozen years, from Alaska to Africa, along with several other cartridges. These days he says, "The .338 is a great cartridge. In fact its just as good as the .30-06!"

Great post..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
300 wsm
200gr accubond at 2,900
168gr ttsx at 3,200
150gr wtf ever at 3,400
130gr ttsx at 3,600
125gr nbt low recoil loads if your're bored or bringing up a kid...

Need RL 17 and H4350.

Nothin you can't do with it.

Kimber MT platform, good 3-15 ish type scope and live happily ever after.

Once upon a time I thought somewhat the same. After using the 300 WSM for over a decade I decided I didn't need the recoil, and that it really didn't do anything the 308 didn't do with less fuss. Certainly a 180 at 3,030 fps makes more of an immediate impression than a 165 at 2,730, but the net result is the same. To me, the 7mm/300 magnums are at their best with mono's out past 500 yards where they have enough velocity to open them. Aside from that, I'll take a "standard" cartridge every day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using either a 300 H&H Improved (300 Weatherby) and a 338 Win Mag for many years for elk and have no complaints at all. Even for relatively long shots I find I like the 338 WM to be very capable with the 225 grain pills. Since I find myself hunting areas where we are hunting canyons and large meadows on public land I decided to build something to make shooting long a bit more predictable so I built a 26 Nosler and I will be using that for the foreseeable future loaded with 140 Accubonds at around 3400 fps. First year out with it I shot a spike at about 125 yards and went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and nicked the bottom of the spine so he dropped at the spot. Hopefully I'll get to test it more in the next couple years...

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Whatever. I don't know it all, but after seeing a speer cheapo soft point penetrate two feet through a deer and exit, (130 gr from 270 win) I'm not impressed with fire breathing magnums. Show me an animal that two feet of penetration won't kill, and I will show you an animal I would rather not piss off to begin with lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 07/24/22.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

About as well said as it gets.

Agree.

We here never rain on a fellow Loony’s “new gun parade”.

We’re here to help.

DF

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been using either a 300 H&H Improved (300 Weatherby) and a 338 Win Mag for many years for elk and have no complaints at all. Even for relatively long shots I find I like the 338 WM to be very capable with the 225 grain pills. Since I find myself hunting areas where we are hunting canyons and large meadows on public land I decided to build something to make shooting long a bit more predictable so I built a 26 Nosler and I will be using that for the foreseeable future loaded with 140 Accubonds at around 3400 fps. First year out with it I shot a spike at about 125 yards and went through both shoulder blades, a rib on each side, and nicked the bottom of the spine so he dropped at the spot. Hopefully I'll get to test it more in the next couple years...

I got a plain Jane 300 H&H I might give a whirl this year.

Love the fast 7’s, 300’s and 338 Win Mag…. All are right in my wheelhouse for what you described. Public land, open country, elk swatters.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For a few years I was haunted by the above poster that always said the 308w was good enough. He is right. I've said this before, but I've actually shot elk with my 338, 9.3x62, 300 magnums and after those 1 shot kills I think to myself, that damn Brad was right... After analyzing each shot and the distance involved, a good 308w with a good pill would have done just as well..

I certainly didn't intend to "haunt" grin

As a certifiable rifle nut myself, I too have used a variety of cartridges on elk. When I started out I was certain a 22" bbl'd M70 338 WM was the "ultimate" elk rifle. And while it still might be, I just don't want to pack or shoot the "ultimate" elk rifle. As I shot more elk, and saw more elk taken by others, I realized the standard rounds like 30-06, 308 or 270 were more than enough, could be built lighter, and were more fun to shoot. The 308 has always "spoken" to me, so that's mostly where I've hung my hat, but I've also taken bulls with the 30-06 and 270 and could be happy with those too (though I do prefer the 270).

My Rifle Nut card expired a few years ago and I haven't renewed it. I've pretty well settled into the 6.5 CM, 308 and 270 (I have all three) for the rest of my life. I do have a pretty little wood stocked 257 Rbt's too in case I ever take up tree stand whitetail hunting again. There's nothing like sitting in a deer stand wiling away the hours with a pretty piece of walnut wrapped around chromoly sitting in one's lap.

Brad, how are we supposed to take your advice after you’ve freely admitted to giving up your man card and paring yourself down to 4 rifles…. Sheeesh whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft

But if we accepted those perfectly logical explanations what excuse would we have to buy new guns in different and exciting chamberings? wink

Bob, do any of us REALLY need an excuse anymore?

I mean I know the 270/7 works great but it doesn’t stop me from
Wanting to kick tires on something else. It’s way less money than trying other wives out and maybe drugs whistle

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I’ve come to the conclusion where I said the 270 could’ve done every one of my elk in.

I haven’t stooped to a 308 as of yet…. Maybe the 7-08 is close enough whistle

And DUH on the 7 Rem…. Sheesh have you not heard of us folks using the 7 Mashburn, aka the 7 Rem Mag Improved….

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Brad, how are we supposed to take your advice after you’ve freely admitted to giving up your man card and paring yourself down to 4 rifles…. Sheeesh whistle

Who said anything about 4 rifles? I've multiples in each chambering - "man card" fully intact.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Who said anything about 4 rifles? I've multiples in each chambering - "man card" fully intact.

Fair enough, my ears are turned back on for your advice now grin

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Fair enough, my ears are turned back on for your advice now grin

I'm relieved grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I ever draw a tag in a cool state, I’ll use my 22 creedmoor, western wa and Oregon, gets big bullets! 👊🏻

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
We haven't heard from the OP in quite a while. Oh well. I've use cartridges from the .270 Win. to the .35 Whelen with the .280 Rem. and 30-06 sitting right in the middle. I've shot elk from roughly 75 feet to 530 yards, that last with the .300 Win. Mag. The elk in the middle of those two distanced was about 175 to 200 yards.

On my next elk hunt I'm probably going to take my 7x57 using a stiff load and 150 gr. Partitions. If I planned to hunt elk where I might run into a bear with a nasty disposition it's be my pet elk riffle in .35 Whelen using 225 gr. TSX bullets at 2700 FPS. That load absolutely flattens elk like the hammer of Thor.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I’ve come to the conclusion where I said the 270 could’ve done every one of my elk in.

And DUH on the 7 Rem…. Sheesh have you not heard of us folks using the 7 Mashburn, aka the 7 Rem Mag Improved….

I love my 7mm08 and did take a bull last year with it. It worked well. The one rifle I did not look at and say, "damn Brad was right".. ha ha.. As for 7mm rem mag. Sweet cartridge buddy. I was looking at some of my recent targets from both of my new to me 7mm rem mags and today I realized the BOSS is shooting slightly better than the Classic synthetic. After leaving the range earlier today I thought to myself I would not change a damn thing on that rifle though. Even though I put the old Leupold back on it:
That SOB is staying on there!!! Been swapping that scope around from rifle to rifle and it is without fail. Like you told me in a PM, it will probably break my heart one day though.. Until then, I'm going to use it. Also, those 140gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tips will be some elk slaying pills. I felt guilty for shooting the rest of them up.. Know where I can find more... ha ha..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
These conversations are always entertaining as people search for the "ultimate". Well that doesn't exist as everyone has their own ideas and some pre-existing notions. FWIW after being fortunate enough to take 21 elk and watching others take at least 40 more, I can make some observations.
1. Standard deer cartridges with good shot placement are very efficient. Even cup and core bullets work well under 400 yards.
2. Magnums are a step up if you can handle the recoil. But again, there is no need to buy one unless you just want a dedicated rifle. Great! Been there done that with 300's and 338's.
3. The "best" hands down OTC rifle around $800 is a Tikka SS T3 in a standard caliber - 6.5CM, 7-08, .308Win., .270Win. yes even the 30-06 (a little more recoil). No need to get wrapped up in crf vs. pf, magazines vs. blind magazine. Blued barrels are fine to save about $85. I like my Kimber Montanas and Winchester M 70's, but for a no drama out of the box accurate performer - the Tikka T3 is it!
4. If I need something more, I will just reach for the 375H&H.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 07/27/22.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
From my 18 seasons hunting with my elk hunt group, I’d say the 7mm magnums have taken the most elk followed closely by .300 magnums of various flavors. I think I finally eclipsed the number of elk killed by my .35 Whelen with my .300 Weatherby. Never had to shoot an ill-intentioned bear with either, but at halitosis range I’d give the nod to a stiff load in the .35 Whelen. Happy Trails

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going old school this year, will be carrying a 30-06 with a 3-9x40 scope

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed a lot of elk, bulls and cows, used mostly 30-06 with 180 grain bullets, either Barnes TSX, Nosler Partition or Hornady Interlock, Interlock separated from the cup but it was a neck shot, won't use Hornady on elk anymore.

C
cwill Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
PJ I am still around and taking in all of the information provided. I have enjoyed reading all of the post from fellow members here on the fire. I do understand that the B.C. is relative to the bullet and not the chambering of the rifle. I was speaking of the chambering’s that are cut for the higher bc bullets using barrels twisted for such bullets as well. (6.5 PRC, 300prc). I haven’t been fortunate enough to take a elk yet and will continue trying this October. I will be sticking to my 30/06 using 165 accubonds. Again I appreciate all of the discussion the thread has brought about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will be sticking to my 30/06 using 165 accubonds.

You can hang your hat on that combo for a lifetime - it's about as good as it gets.

Or the same in a 308 Win grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You can hang your hat on that combo for a lifetime - it's about as good as it gets.

Yup, should easily do the trick. Spend your energies on finding an elk to kill - you've got the rifle thing covered

Last edited by Sheister; 07/31/22.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Yup, should easily do the trick. Spend your energies on finding an elk to kill - you've got the rifle thing covered

You know, that is the best piece of advice. I'd also throw in practice with said rifle, because that is the last damn thing I worry about: Making the shot.. Finding them is the hard part, then packing them out the next piece of the pie. Almost any damn rifle you own that you are proficient with, you can kill an elk with. Proficiency in shooting and finding are key. All the other schidt is just "gack". I know, we love gack though. I was thinking about this schidt earlier when working on the shed in 103 degree temps. Just called it a day, now that it is 107 outside!!! As interesting as all this is, some of the guys at the club tell me they know some old timers that used to kill elk with 22 magnums..

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cwill: Been using my Remington 700 Classic in 7m/m Remington Magnum for Elk Hunting since 1978 (44 years now!) - and have NO desire or intention of changing!
Be sure to use the wonderful Nosler 160 grain Partition when you are setting up your 7m/m Remington Magnum.
Don't mess with success!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep! There's always only ONE answer, especially among those who've only used one rifle and bullet....

Not that there's anything wrong with the 160 Partition in the 7mm Remington Magnum--or any other 7mm "magnum. I know this having used that very bullet to kill bull elk, and it works well. But its hardly the ONLY answer....

John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
mule deer: Make up your mind (if you can?) is the 7m/m Remington Magnum an "honest Elk Rifle" or not - like the original poster asked.
The Elk I have kill't with my 7m/m Remington Magnum have all been one shot kills by the way.
Nothing you have burped up dissuades my opinion or experiences ONE iota!
The 7m/m Remington Magnum is ONE of the choices the original poster inquired about and I wholeheartedly endorse use of this caliber - based on MY and my many Hunting partners experiences.
I absolutely DID NOT in any way shape or form infer that the 7m/m Remington Magnum "is the only answer" your inference I did is, well short sighted and stupid.
Long live the 7m/m Remington Magnum!
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Gee, don't get so upset!

My point was that there are a bunch of different cartridges that will kill elk consistently when somebody puts a decent bullet in the right place. My point was that because you've used the 7mm RM/160 Partition with fine results doesn't mean there aren't a great many other "honest" elk cartridges that would work just as well. And I base that on me and my hunting partners using a far wider range of cartridges and bullets--though the Partition has worked great in calibers (not cartridges) from .25 on up.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I guess if the 7mm Remington Magnum is the question, then the 7mm Weatherby is the answer.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WAM
I guess if the 7mm Remington Magnum is the question, then the 7mm Weatherby is the answer.

The same can be said about the 7mm practical and Mashburn. However the 7mm rem mag is easier to find ammo for in the store. Even easier than the WBY. Hell, if the 7mm rem mag is good, maybe the 8mm rem mag is even better? What's the real answer? 7mm08.... Life's too short to just use one cartridge. That's just plain boring as hell. It's like only using Leupold optics or driving the same car all your life..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM

The same can be said about the 7mm practical and Mashburn. However the 7mm rem mag is easier to find ammo for in the store. Even easier than the WBY. Hell, if the 7mm rem mag is good, maybe the 8mm rem mag is even better? What's the real answer? 7mm08.... Life's too short to just use one cartridge. That's just plain boring as hell. It's like only using Leupold optics or driving the same car all your life..

Hard to beat the 7 Rem Mag for the do all and being able to find multiple kinds of ammo right now. Seems like a god variety of it is available right now.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by WAM

Hard to beat the 7 Rem Mag for the do all and being able to find multiple kinds of ammo right now. Seems like a god variety of it is available right now.

I like the cartridge. It is very manageable too. Maybe even more so than a 30-06. At least the 2 I have right now are very sweet shooters. A new shooter should be able to handle the recoil of the 7mm rem mag too, which is a big plus.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
mule deer: I certainly am NOT upset - but I am surprised YOU are so stupid!
Sheesh.
Small man syndrome on full display - learn to live with it - or don't, I don't care.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dozens of elk killed with a 30-06 and 165 grain Hornady spire points. Dozens…

But now I take a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain NBT when I go elk hunting. One jerk blasting through a long stalk I had worked on for nearly an hour changed all that. Now I can shoot from a half a mile away and not have to be so sneaky…

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I love my 7mm08 and did take a bull last year with it. It worked well. The one rifle I did not look at and say, "damn Brad was right".. ha ha.. As for 7mm rem mag. Sweet cartridge buddy. I was looking at some of my recent targets from both of my new to me 7mm rem mags and today I realized the BOSS is shooting slightly better than the Classic synthetic. After leaving the range earlier today I thought to myself I would not change a damn thing on that rifle though. Even though I put the old Leupold back on it:
That SOB is staying on there!!! Been swapping that scope around from rifle to rifle and it is without fail. Like you told me in a PM, it will probably break my heart one day though.. Until then, I'm going to use it. Also, those 140gr Federal Trophy Bonded Tips will be some elk slaying pills. I felt guilty for shooting the rest of them up.. Know where I can find more... ha ha..

Really like the looks of that rifle.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Really like the looks of that rifle.

Thanks MacKaysagebrush. It's a sweetheart. Here's a better pic:
I put a used American made Burris FFII on it that I found on ebay and it shot very well:
However, I ended up putting the Leupold Tactical back on it. That poor scope. I've only had it for a little over a month now and it's been on a few different new rifles for testing.

I've had that rifle for about a month now, as well, but glass bedded it, fine tuned the trigger, replaced the recoil pad and painted the stock. It weighs in at 8 pounds with the Leupold on board. Not a bad packing around weight and its well balanced (as seen in the pic above). It's proving to be a very good 5 digit classic. Really liking it.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shrapnel

But now I take a 300 Weatherby with 180 grain NBT when I go elk hunting. One jerk blasting through a long stalk I had worked on for nearly an hour changed all that. Now I can shoot from a half a mile away and not have to be so sneaky…

Alright Zumbo. I guess that's good enough reason to use the 300WBY. Even if you were just joking around.. Here's mine:

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Alright Zumbo. I guess that's good enough reason to use the 300WBY. Even if you were just joking around.. Here's mine:

I don't know about Zumbo, but I doubt there are many people here that have killed more elk.

I don't spend much time with targets, mostly hunting and shooting critters of all sizes. The 300 Weatherby does give me the range I don't have with the 30-06, but the '06 never did let me down.

No targets to show, I just check the gun on a small rock every now and then, and then go hunting...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Some nice bulls in that crowd Kirk!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I don't know about Zumbo, but I doubt there are many people here that have killed more elk.

I don't spend much time with targets, mostly hunting and shooting critters of all sizes. The 300 Weatherby does give me the range I don't have with the 30-06, but the '06 never did let me down.

No targets to show, I just check the gun on a small rock every now and then, and then go hunting...

Nice rifle. Looks like it's worked damn well over the years..

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Some very nice bulls. Congratulations. Great caliber too.

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B

not an expert on the subject of elk, but I have killed 9 of them. 7 with a 270 and 150gr Nosler partitions, and 2 with 30-06 and 180 grain Hornady spire points. I can't say for sure, but the elk all seemed to die in a similar fashion. be it a 270, 7mm mag, 308, 0r 30-06, all will kill an elk just fine. Personally, I would stay with the old standbys because Ammo is going to be more readily available and cheaper. arguments can be made for more whiz bang (been there, done that) but in the end, you are far better off picking a caliber, buying lots of ammunition and practicing shooting . good luck !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I've taken more elk with my 7mm RM than any other cartridge (and most of them put together), at 400 yards max I would be perfectly comfortable hunting them with a 6.5CM, 7mm-08, 280 Rem, 280AI, 308 Win or 30-06. Of course the 6.5PRC, 7mm RM and 300WM would be perfectly acceptable too, as would a 338WM and a bunch of other cartridges.

If you are looking for something new, wait until the 7mm PRC rifles and ammo become available this fall. 180g bullet at 2950fps, 2000fps and 1600fpe at 910 yards. I have a bunch of "elk" rifles but I've been waiting for the 7mm PRC for several years and have a donor Savage action and stock waiting for a pre-threaded barrel now that the 7mm PRC specs have been announced.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Well I feel under gunned. I'm using a Savage 99 in .300 , this year again. Irons no scope. I will bring a scoped rifle in 30-06 just for drill! Lots of good info here, wading through it is interesting. Many all saying the same thing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Heym06
Well I feel under gunned. I'm using a Savage 99 in .300 , this year again. Irons no scope. I will bring a scoped rifle in 30-06 just for drill! Lots of good info here, wading through it is interesting. Many all saying the same thing.

Nothing wrong with that. My elk hunting partner packs his 1949 Winchester model 94 30-30 half the time. That rifle is so cool, it is missing all of its bluing and finish on the wood stocks. I used to feel sorry for the rifle, but have come to appreciate it over the years. The last elk he shot with it was a wounded spike. He shot it in the back of the head as it ran past him. He's the funniest guy because he despises most cartridges for elk hunting. Cant stand the 7mm rem mag for some reason. I think in his mind, he thinks the only good elk cartridges are the 338wm and his 30-30..

BSA MAGA
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Elk are not bullet proof.
Put one in the boiler room and you’ll be fine.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Private ranches and elk farms and Missouri breaks isn't elk hunting. It's elk shooting. I used to live in Gallatin area and if you have access to private property is a Prairie dog shoot more or less. Same with deer hunting up the Boulder.

I've killed more animals hitting my vehicle than I ever did hunting around private property

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Private ranches and elk farms and Missouri breaks isn't elk hunting. It's elk shooting. I used to live in Gallatin area and if you have access to private property is a Prairie dog shoot more or less. Same with deer hunting up the Boulder.

I've killed more animals hitting my vehicle than I ever did hunting around private property

Well, you wasted everyone’s time posting that tidbit. In your haste to make your proficiency claim of animals hitting your car, you need to pay more attention to the theme of the thread about what “rifle” for elk. It doesn’t matter if you kill it in the mall parking lot, the question is about killing elk with a rifle not where you kill it….

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Tough crowd!! 😂

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Well, you wasted everyone’s time posting that tidbit. In your haste to make your proficiency claim of animals hitting your car, you need to pay more attention to the theme of the thread about what “rifle” for elk. It doesn’t matter if you kill it in the mall parking lot, the question is about killing elk with a rifle not where you kill it….
I don't hunt game farms

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
96 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 663 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.