Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Not a serious trapper here. Just a backyard kind of trapper looking to rid the neighborhood of too many coons. I use wheat bread for bait and it has been very effective. Catch mostly coons with an occasional skunk or possum. Coons get a .177 in the back of the head and transferred up in the forest for the buzzards. Seems lately this one group has figured out a way to get the bait without tripping the trap. I have many trail cam pics of the thieves in action. They come every night and always manage to get all the bait. I hang the bread from a wire over the plate and like I said, it has been very effective in the past. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm assuming a live/box trap? rig your bait so they have to actually work it. The longer you can get them to stomp around in there, the better chance they'll actually step on the trigger. If they can just pull the bait off and back out without working for it, they will. you can also dig a little hole under the trap to fill with bait. Just make sure they can't move the trap to get to it.....

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Just move the bait ahead a little bit andr put it in a woven bag like an onion bag or similar.

I made a larger box trap out of a large wire dog box..I put it in my barn next to a standard size one,

The larger homemade one out caught the regular size one about 6 to 1.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks for the response guys. I think this particular coon is trap wise. He doesn’t go in the trap. Gets all the bait from the outside. Even though the wire in that section of the trap is smaller. I did have one recently break out of the trap. Bent the door and the rods that hold the door shut. I like the idea of a larger trap and they do have one available. I’ll keep trying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My uncle used to keep live coon to train dogs until he put a padlock on they would figure out how to open the cages. He joked that it had to be a keyed padlock as they were smart enough to work out a combination.

You do know that roast raccoon is very much like roast pork. We would stuff them and roast them instead of turkey for Thanksgiving.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=roast...0l2.9764j0j4&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531

Last edited by erich; 01/15/22.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Finally. Got the bastid. I was able to get a few videos of him going in the trap and taking the bait without stepping on the trip plate. I have an older 2 door trap as well, so I closed one door and hung the bait at that end. Bingo. Will reset tonight.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
yep make them walk across the pan
I used to use lucky charms for bait (small and sweet)
put some outside the trap to tease them and a handful inside
smaller bait makes them work it longer and forget about where their feet are as they get greedy eating the sugar

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.