Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
what do y'all fellas use for painting your wood shooting houses? my work got a new generator or something like that and the crate it shipped in looks just like a 4x8' shooting house. i'm sure the plywood isn't treated so i wanna paint it to keep it from degrading from the elements.
thanks,
Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This stuff. About $15 at the local hardware store. It's just cheap latex paint in olive, brown, gray, black, and tan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I get whatever exterior paint is on the mis-tint discount shelf at lowes.

Long as it’s a darker color - tan, brown, green, red….

Oil based is better. I’ll get one of those cheap paint kits. Use the rollers and pan and throw it all away when done.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Oil based is better. I’ll get one of those cheap paint kits. Use the rollers and pan and throw it all away when done.

Me too

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is what we did for our duck blind. It's lasted 9 years now.

Me

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JPro
This stuff. About $15 at the local hardware store. It's just cheap latex paint in olive, brown, gray, black, and tan.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We found over the years its cheap paint. Doesn't last as long as good paint.

Now last year Walmart cleared out their best latex and we just had it tinted, at a few bucks a gallon. Maybe 3 a gallon. Did fine and will last.

I'm over buying the camo paint as it simply didn't last as long as others.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by whitearrow
what do y'all fellas use for painting your wood shooting houses? my work got a new generator or something like that and the crate it shipped in looks just like a 4x8' shooting house. i'm sure the plywood isn't treated so i wanna paint it to keep it from degrading from the elements.
thanks,
Big Ed

That wood might be really cheap. I might consider some kind of thopmsons water seal type first. Let a coat or three of that soak in and dry and then paint.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
deck sealer or the best is a oil base paint ,i used a medium brown oil base paint with cheap plywood on a stand 21 years ago still doing well out in a tamarac swamp in Northern Minnesota 10 miles from the Canadian border. oil base paint sucks to use but it does work the best on wood.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
thanks,
Big Ed

I've got untreated painted blinds made from packing crates and scrap wood that have been going since 2004.2009 and 2018. What I use is mis-tinted mistakes from Lowes and Home Depot. I'll go and get a gallon of this or that and sometimes I'm mixing two colors. Any good outdoor paint or stain will work.

One tip: start off with good primer. If you use a decent primer, it'll bond to the wood and seal it. After that, it does not matter as much what you throw on top-- you're still keeping the wood from rotting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman
thanks,
Big Ed

I've got untreated painted blinds made from packing crates and scrap wood that have been going since 2004.2009 and 2018. What I use is mis-tinted mistakes from Lowes and Home Depot. I'll go and get a gallon of this or that and sometimes I'm mixing two colors. Any good outdoor paint or stain will work.

One tip: start off with good primer. If you use a decent primer, it'll bond to the wood and seal it. After that, it does not matter as much what you throw on top-- you're still keeping the wood from rotting.

Shaman I used plywood but as far as paint it was and identical process for me. One other thing I did was once completed I sprayed the very bottom edges from below with some flex seal.

My first blind was OSB and it began swelling and separating from clinging water droplets. I figured sealing that edge couldn't hurt.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Any oil base black paint.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I used metal for my shooting houses. Not as easy as wood to cut and trim, but no painting either.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Use Rustoleum oil based paint you get from Lowes. To make olive drab, mix one quart of rusty metal primer with one quart of hunter green. I use it for everything, wood or metal. Blinds, feeders, shooting benches etc.

Rusty Metal Primer
Hunter Green

I thin it and spray it on with this HVLP sprayer from Northern tool, but you can brush or roll too.
HVLP Sprayer

Last edited by gsganzer; 02/24/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1

Shaman I used plywood but as far as paint it was and identical process for me. One other thing I did was once completed I sprayed the very bottom edges from below with some flex seal.

My first blind was OSB and it began swelling and separating from clinging water droplets. I figured sealing that edge couldn't hurt.

Yeah, I've got a bunch of OSB sitting in the shed that I'm eventually going to use for a blind. I'm hesitating. On the one hand, I've seen OSB shacks that have been up 20 years. I've seen others that were falling apart in 5.

Edges are important. I normally use 3/8" plywood. That's what most of the packing crates were made of as well. I spend a good long time rolling primer and one coat of finish on before I start cutting. Then I prime and finish the edges when its all assembled and roll on the 2nd coat.

My magnus opus was Midway Phoenix, my "luxury box."

Midway Phoenix -- A Deer Shack is Born

In its early years, it sported a mural on the exterior. I resorted to a flat green later. The orange paint kept fading out.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

I have asked the folks behind the counter at Lowe's to darken the tint on mix match paint and it works great. I'll go back with a branch and different color of spray paint to blend it in better.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I was once told by two industrial painters that best way to paint any exterior wood is to first make sure it is dry, then use metal grade oxide primer, like Rustoleum red oxide primer, on the wood BEFORE using any final coat of paint, then apply your final coat. Do NOT use any primer that is for wood like Kilz etc.
I did that to 2 doghouse over 15 years ago and they still look fine.
Believed I used oil base paint as top coat but not sure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by SoTexCurdog
I was once told by two industrial painters that best way to paint any exterior wood is to first make sure it is dry, then use metal grade oxide primer, like Rustoleum red oxide primer, on the wood BEFORE using any final coat of paint, then apply your final coat. Do NOT use any primer that is for wood like Kilz etc.
I did that to 2 doghouse over 15 years ago and they still look fine.
Believed I used oil base paint as top coat but not sure.

I agree with this. As I posted above, I actually mix red oxide primer with hunter green and it makes a perfect olive drab. I thin the first coat a bunch so it penetrates more, then do a top coat that's thinned less.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The box stand I built I painted Flat black with exterior walmart paint. It made the stand warmer in cold weather and after it had been there for a while animals ignored it. I had deer and turkeys walk close enough to it to poke with my rifle barrel. Had turkeys get under it while I was in it to eat white oak acorns. and it was only 3 feet off the ground.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Black Asphalt Fence paint !

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
674 members (12308300, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.