Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Considering a new rifle for my kid. Model 700’s are my jam, but I haven’t bought a factory M700 with the intent to keep it “factory“ in I don’t know how long. Bought them as donors, took them apart.... Anyway, I’m afraid to even ask given all their legal troubles and changing ownership, but are new Remington M700’s still a well-made rifle with a decent chance of getting a good shooter? Or have they gone to [bleep].

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I wouldn't be afraid to try one.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Saw several in Scheels couple days ago. They were the SPS type, matte blued, Tupperware stock. Bolt was jeweled vs sps being matte black. Overall, I thought it was decent for the price, IIRC was between $550 and 600.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
They can't be any worse than the crap Remington produced in the later years before going under

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The new ones look plenty good to me

IC B2

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike

I’d be buying a Mountain Rifle if I do it, and it does “look” nice. I guess I’m just trying to get a sense of where Remington quality is at currently.

I mean, forgetting the barrel quality/accuracy for a moment, are the actions themselves working ok for folks lately?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by moosemike

I just handled a new SPS ADL at Sportsmans Whorehouse. The finish is miles ahead of the old SPS. It’s not nearly as course. The old SPS finish looked like spray-on bedliner. The bolt is also jeweled. $519 it was. I nearly bought it.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
How was the stock?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Same as the old SPS stock. For $519, I could see ordering a Grayboe and shooting it until I was ready to rebarrel into something cool.

Last edited by Gooch_McGrundle; 02/22/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Cant be worse than the RR prefix guns that were coming out of Ilion prior to their bankruptcy. Those were some of the worst firearms ive ever seen. The last one I got was so out of wack it had no primary extraction and had to have the bolt handle removed and reinstalled...and still was about 3 MOA lol.

I hope the new ones are great..im also a fan of the 700 design

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

IC B3

Jeff_O Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Three30Eight
Cant be worse than the RR prefix guns that were coming out of Ilion prior to their bankruptcy. Those were some of the worst firearms ive ever seen. The last one I got was so out of wack it had no primary extraction and had to have the bolt handle removed and reinstalled...and still was about 3 MOA lol.

I hope the new ones are great..im also a fan of the 700 design

Ok, this is the kind of intel I’m after here. I literally tuned out of all things M700 for the last several+ years as I’ve just been either re-barreling rifles i already had, or buying donor rifles, or bare actions from Bud’s.

So they got bad in the RR prefix era, gotcha.

If I buy this thing (it’s a 6.5 Creed MR, seems perfect for my daughter) the hope would of course be it’s be a “good enuff” rifle out of the box... the next thing would be if it isn’t, then at least it’s still a good action for a rebarrel without having to go to extreme measures.... having to remove the bolt handle would qualify, haha...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Why not buy a used one?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes...the RR prefix guns are pretty universally known as the worst 700s ever made. To the point that the some precision gunsmiths won't use them.

Now you will hear in about three seconds from a bunch of folks on this sight who love their "moa all day long if i do my part" RR 700...but do some digging. They are the worst. That being said the most accurate out of the box 700 i ever had was a .308 SPS that was a RR gun so there are always exceptions.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
used DuPont era would be the best...like an older wood stock ADL beater or something. Thats exactly what id do.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buy one in the chambering you want and see if it shoots. You may be surprised

If it won’t with your load development, you can rebarrel easily

Last one I bought one holed with hand loads

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a late build 700 VS in .223 that is shooting bugholes with the loads I worked up for my AR. Stupid me .. shooting the donor, now I'm not sure I have a donor.

I have one of the new 700 SS Mountain Rifles in 6.5 CM that I bought before Christmas ready to go to the range but I've been too lazy to load up ammo. Hoping to get out there Friday if it warms up a little. The only negative I'd say about it right now is that stock is mighty chunky for such a slim barrel. I'd like it a lot better paired with a magnum sporter contour barrel. If I like it, if it's a keeper, I'll find a slimmer stock for it.

Anyway .. I think the late build 700s may be an improvement over some of the ones built even 2-3 years ago. They put out some real lemons for a while.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I bought two RR Remingtons, An AWR (American Wilderness Rifle) and a LTR, The fit, finish and function were as good or better than any 700’s I every had.

Keep in mind these were not $500 SPS’s. The AWR came with a Grayboe stock and was cerekoted. The LTR was an undated version of the old LTR.

Just fyi

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by overmax
I bought two RR Remingtons, An AWR (American Wilderness Rifle) and a LTR, The fit, finish and function were as good or better than any 700’s I every had.

Keep in mind these were not $500 SPS’s. The AWR came with a Grayboe stock and was cerekoted. The LTR was an undated version of the old LTR.

Just fyi

I have two AWRs that are very accurate. I did trip the Grayboe stocks for.....lighter Grayboe stocks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would not waste my money on an unknown entity, when there are proven performers, such as Winchester, Tikka, Thompson Center, Sako, etc. available and proven. Remington will have to impress me with its reviews for a while before I would even consider buying one. Your money, your test. Maybe if it sucks, it will at least help someone else avoid it.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I would not waste my money on an unknown entity, when there are proven performers, such as Winchester, Tikka, Thompson Center, Sako, etc. available and proven. Remington will have to impress me with its reviews for a while before I would even consider buying one. Your money, your test. Maybe if it sucks, it will at least help someone else avoid it.

I've never been "stuck" in a gun before. I buy plenty of unknown commodities when it comes to guns. If I don't like them for some reason they get sold. But I'm never scared I'll buy something I can't get out of

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.