Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by TWR
This is his first centerfire pistol. Not just the first concealed carry option. I think we all could agree it’s easier to shoot a full size or at least the G19 sized gun better than subs. He needs to shoot a lot.

Those who have some experience know you are right. Those who don't keep advocating man-boy guns with extended magazines. Interesting mix on this forum.

Interesting, damn I gots one of those man-boy guns. Why, because I can shoot it well, the extension adds 2 rounds, it allows the POS to be gripped and drawn to a natural point just like my 1911. So why not carry my 1911? Well it’s a pre 2 Kimber (1996) I don’t want to lose. And yes if you have to use it, it’s going to be gone to a police locker possibly forever where every POS fat fingered azzhole can fugg with it. Now this POS can be replaced for ~500.00 bucks so I don’t give a fugg if it’s gone or not, just go buy a new one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Man-boy gun my ass.

Last edited by Swifty52; 02/23/22.

Swifty
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That’s why I have 2 G19’s and 2 DW Vigil’s and 2 J frames.

BTW, how much smaller is that than a G19?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to beat a Glock 19 or one of the Sig P365 series.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Hard to beat a Glock 19...

Sig P365
S&W Shield
Springfield Hellcat
S&W M&P 2.0 Compact
Sig P320 Compact
FN 509 Compact
Kahr P9
Springfield XD-S
Walther PPQ
CZ P-10

I threw this list of 10 together off the top of my head and in trying to compare directly with Glock the list sticks to polymer 9mm pistols. It doesn’t contain anything 1911-like, nothing with a steel or alloy frame, or any revolvers. There are two pistols in the Campfire threads today I would own before a Glock, Hawk’s Ronin and Idaho’s Kimber Micro Nine – and I don’t particularly like Kimber. The list doesn’t include variants or firearms from manufacturers that I acknowledge are quality that I just don’t like. The list also doesn’t include variants such as the three versions of the P365 I would own before a Glock. By the time all this was sorted out Glock probably wouldn’t make my top 50.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ohhh damn no sub 700.00 buck P365 that doesn’t have the man-boy pinky extension. Damn can’t buy no man-boy gun. By the way my first center fire was a 41 mag.

Swifty
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've been lugging a Glock 23 for almost 20 years. I don't feel marginalized.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by pointer
Title really says most of what I am curious about. Will be buying my first CF pistol and will be using it for carrying. Curious if a beginner would be better served with a compact vs a sub-compact for a first purchase?

One other question, thumb safety vs none? I can see rationale behind either option, but lean more towards no thumb safety. I'm willing to hear arguments from both sides.

In and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

My experience is this.

I started out concerned about concealability & ease of carry. I got a little pocket pistol (S&W Bodyguard .380 6+1) that I took everywhere. It was easy to conceal and a breeze to carry and if I were involved in a close-in mugging it’d be fine; point & click as they say.

But then the riots came and I wanted more power, capacity, and reach. I was still pretty concerned about conceal- & carry-ability so I opted for a Gen 4 Glock 26 9mm sub-compact 10+1. I replaced the factory sights w/ a steel Trijicon 3-dot model & installed Talon grips. Carries wonderfully and, in spite of the uncomfortable “pinky hang” I shoot it quite well.

That pinky hang bugged me and I wanted a back up about the time a pal here offered me a Taurus G3C (C is for compact) which is nearly identical size-wise to the G26 but has a longer textured grip that fits my hand better. It is inexpensive so I didn’t trust it but have run about 600 rounds of all different ammo including HP & steel case stuff without so much as a hiccup. It takes Glock sights so I got a set of truglo Hackathorns and while the triggers suck on these it’s reliable and I shoot it as well as the G26. No Talon grips necessary as the grip panels serve their purpose so beautifully.

I’d still like more capacity and I’m realizing that with a good belt and holster carry- & conceal-ability aren’t as big as n issue as I’d thought. I’ve also been thinking about an optic so I just got a Glock 19 clone with elevated back-up sights that’ll cowitness with an RMR for which it’s cut. I ordered a higher end holster that’ll accommodate the set up and am shopping RMRs.

Of course I’ve yet to sell a handgun probably won’t ever but the evolution has been fun. Eventually I’ll likely sell the S&W and the G26 but who knows.

One thing I know is that while carry- and conceal-ability are big a good draw requires a good grip from from the holster so texture and fit to your hand matter more than I realized early on. Obviously YMMV particularly by hand size, but those micro-9mms that are all the rage like the P365 just don’t work well for me.

Good luck in your shopping!

Ps- the only weapon listed above that has a safety is the Taurus. Trigger & muzzle control are most important and worrying about a safety in the heat of battle is unnecessary. Skip em

Last edited by efw; 02/23/22. Reason: Ps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Inexperienced shooter will be better served with a compact handgun. I suggest Walther PDP with 4 inch barrel. This weapon combines excellent ergonomics, excellent trigger, sights plus holosight compatibility. That is one could want in modern beginner handgun. It is made in Germany, therefore, each gun is test fired at a proof house.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by JOG
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Hard to beat a Glock 19...

Sig P365
S&W Shield
Springfield Hellcat
S&W M&P 2.0 Compact
Sig P320 Compact
FN 509 Compact
Kahr P9
Springfield XD-S
Walther PPQ
CZ P-10

I threw this list of 10 together off the top of my head and in trying to compare directly with Glock the list sticks to polymer 9mm pistols. It doesn’t contain anything 1911-like, nothing with a steel or alloy frame, or any revolvers. There are two pistols in the Campfire threads today I would own before a Glock, Hawk’s Ronin and Idaho’s Kimber Micro Nine – and I don’t particularly like Kimber. The list doesn’t include variants or firearms from manufacturers that I acknowledge are quality that I just don’t like. The list also doesn’t include variants such as the three versions of the P365 I would own before a Glock. By the time all this was sorted out Glock probably wouldn’t make my top 50.

There are plenty of decent guns out there but it is undeniable that no handgun in history has come close to 9mm Glocks for proven reliability. For me reliability is job one, all other factors follow.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Mike78
I've been lugging a Glock 23 for almost 20 years. I don't feel marginalized.

IIRC my bill of sale I came across a little while back is from 1992. That’s before some on here were born and many others still on the sugartit. Not much bad advice given so far. I’ll throw in with the group pushing for a G19 size category. Don’t skimp on grip when you’re learning to shoot. Get all 4 fingers involved without a mag extension. I’ll also agree on the belt and holster advise. You can’t get too good a belt. Bullshidebelts.com has a good selection of 3/16” and 1/4” thick belts 1 1/2” and 1 3/4” wide. For outside belt carry the Blackhawk Serpa is fine. Inside belt I like an open top Galco rough side out.

Seems 9mm is pretty much unanimous, no surprise. As you become accustomed to handguns you will want more. As much trash talk as the .40 S&W gets it’s still very controllable and has served well. Doesn’t hurt to have multiple chamberings with supply/demand issues probably here to stay on an infrequent possibly frequent basis.

Another comment to take to heart; take shootability over a little more concealability. As you become accustomed to carrying with a good holster and belt you will most likely begin to dress to the gun. With carry time you’ll find it easier than you might have first expected to conceal a 4” barrel 4 finger grip handgun. Good fortune on your decisions.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by kunas
while i agree with THE great waputi i carry a glock 48 daily due to the slim line single stack design, my G19 is my go to hell gun if that day ever happens

Where do you sign up for the notifications so I can get on the list? I’d love to know when “go to hell day” is gonna be so I can make plans.

Ill post it up here when the day comes

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I find myself carrying my Glock 19 more than anything else by a wide margin. It’s simple, reliable, accurate, has plenty of power, and it’s very shootable. It’s also not difficult to conceal. However, I am considering buying a Sig 365X. I think it would check the same boxes and be slightly more concealable, but then again I might not. My Glock is very familiar to me, which I believe is a strong asset for a carry gun. Every great once in a while I carry a Ruger LCP because my clothing dictates pocket carry.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
my first ccw was a taurus 85, 38sp, 5-shot, steel, 2” revolver bought gently used in south florida in 1985 before permits were a thing. i replaced the slim wooden grips with pachmayr rubber grips, bought a couple of speedloaders and loaded it with 158gr fmj ball ammo. its display with intent saw me through one riot safely when my car was mobbed. i still have it though now carry a s&w 642 38sp airweight snubbie loaded with wadcutters.

a 38sp revolver is safe, easy and reliable. if 5-6 shots won’t solve my problems then i’ve made some seriously poor decisions on when/where i go, what i do and who i meet, or i need a long gun.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jstert
my first ccw was a taurus 85, 38sp, 5-shot, steel, 2” revolver bought gently used in south florida in 1985 before permits were a thing. i replaced the slim wooden grips with pachmayr rubber grips, bought a couple of speedloaders and loaded it with 158gr fmj ball ammo. its display with intent saw me through one riot safely when my car was mobbed. i still have it though now carry a s&w 642 38sp airweight snubbie loaded with wadcutters.

a 38sp revolver is safe, easy and reliable. if 5-6 shots won’t solve my problems then i’ve made some seriously poor decisions on when/where i go, what i do and who i meet, or i need a long gun.

Let's hear the full story of the mob surrounding your car and how you got them to back off with the display of a snubby .38.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.