Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
After a large number of Tesla "driver assist" problems surfaced...car going into hard braking for no reason...now the NHTSA is looking at 1.7 million Hondas...doing the same thing, resulting in a bunch of injuries. I'm trying to imagine the result of this on snow or ice. Didn't we get a good taste of this with Boeing fly by wire 737 Max. Didn't we get a good taste of this with driverless delivery truck tests, crashing into all manner of things? The rush to computer everything is going to be a long rough road.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agreed, it's going to be a long, hard road, but there is SO MUCH money to be saved by removing commercial drivers that the push to automated driving will be relentless, Teal can probably come up with more accurate numbers than I can, but if pressed for a %, I would say that driver related expenses are close to 55% of the total cost of moving freight on public roads (counting direct costs such as wages and benefits as well as indirect costs such as hiring, training, payroll, insurance, plus increased equipment costs -- such as sleepers, air conditioning, heating, and reduced equipment up time related to limited driver hours available).
Altogether, that's considerably over $100K per commercial driver per year, times 4 million drivers.

Same-same for personal transport. Remove the driver, and an Uber ride becomes stupid cheap. Tesla's push into self driving is with the "ride sharing" market in mind: whoever gets there first gets to sell all the cars for ride services. That much money will push the driverless technology forward, a couple of crashes on the way be damned.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A car is a machine and any machine will fail eventually. Having it fail at 60 mph is extra scary. Does Musk have a victims' fund for those who are hurt by his inventions?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree they are not there yet... but I am very much looking forward to the automated driving cars. I just hope I see it in my life time where it is a reality. I look forward to the day I can have a van with a bed in the back that will drive itself. I would love to get in at 10:00pm at night, set where I want to wake up, and go to sleep and wake up in another town... make going to events so much easier and such an incredible time saver.

I do believe this will happen but they have a lot of things to work out but look how far we have come in computing and other pieces of technology.

The worst thing ever to happen to cops is the personal video recorder... Now people can see the truth
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not saying it's not do-able, Not saying it's not inevitable. I am saying the engineering dreams are years ahead of the 'plumbing and wiring'. In the meantime, it's not very serious if you get rear ended...but it gets a little too sporty if you are a passenger on a plane that goes into a nosedive at full throttle. I say, slow down,baby steps, study it, test it....look what the railroads have done with driverless trains...successfully. The rush to be first is a rush to a body count.
Personal anecdote. Took a friend to VA appointment last year in his brand new little RAV4 utility car, me driving. Parking lot is on hilly, quite steep, heavily landscaped grounds. I pull up into the steep parking space, apparently the car sensed the heavy near idle load, the grade, and decided to 'help' the driver by adding throttle, a lot of throttle, real quick. The little car jumped the curb, which I guess it sensed as more load, added more throttle, and shot another 4 feet up into a big rhododendren bush. I'll spare you the comedy of the profanity we hurled at each other during this...but after my bud's appointment, I refused to drive and I challenged him to back out of the space and approach it just like I did. He did, with similar result. Dealer said the anti skid sensor priority program(whatever the hell that is) caused the brakes to allow the great leap forward. No fix. Suggested applying the brakes before reaching an obstacle.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We used to have 'self-driving' transportation but we let it go to pot. It was called railroads.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by flintlocke
After a large number of Tesla "driver assist" problems surfaced...car going into hard braking for no reason...now the NHTSA is looking at 1.7 million Hondas...doing the same thing, resulting in a bunch of injuries. I'm trying to imagine the result of this on snow or ice. Didn't we get a good taste of this with Boeing fly by wire 737 Max. Didn't we get a good taste of this with driverless delivery truck tests, crashing into all manner of things? The rush to computer everything is going to be a long rough road.

Now it’s sketchy technology. In a decade or so it will probably be legit.

Never fly on the A model. Isn’t that the saying?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I think we eventually get there but it will require investment in smart roads, car-to-car communication, etc. It will get to the point that the insurance companies will insist on it if it becomes statistically safer than the average driver.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Trains are confined to laid track (usually! smile ). Autos have options.

No way am I ever getting into a driverless car, tho some drivers now are merely nominal.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (22kHornet, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,663 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,287
Posts18,467,895
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.