Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kudu1 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Hi , has anyone taken their suppressor to South Africa , if so was there any issues . I would like to know . Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you scroll down about half a page there’s a “suppressor use” thread that I think covers it or is at least worth looking at.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I talked to CBP and HS about taking my can to SA on safari. They suggested NOT doing it, going over should not be a problem but, coming back very well could be. Suppressor can NOT be imported and bring one into the country is considered 'importing' to them. You may be arrested and the can confiscated even if you have your paper work. That's what they told me in Atlanta when I called.
You may be able to use one from you Ph when you get there.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I sent in a request for info on this to the State Dept and waiting for a reply. I have talked to the Customs officers in Sioux Falls, Sd and at Newark, NJ airport and have been told by all of them that they do not see any issue when coming back and clearing customs with the suppressor on your 4457 form.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not contact the PH and see if he has a suppressor that is of the correct caliber and will thread to your rifle?

On the same note, I believe there is a thread on this forum where a 'Fire member mentioned that he contacted a dealer in Windhoek, Namibia, and ordered/bought a suppressor for use on his trip. Picked it up on his arrival in country. Cost was a third of what we're paying, and no hassle with Tax Stamps. At the end of the hunt he either donated it to his PH or had his PH hold it for the next trip over.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
If you scroll down about half a page there’s a “suppressor use” thread that I think covers it or is at least worth looking at.

Yep, that's the thread I was thinking of. M3Taco is the member that purchased suppressors in Namibia.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
waiting on a call back now from the ATF on suppressor coming back into the states. but did find in their regs: I take it to mean if your rifle and installed suppressor is considered a firearm then no permit is required to bring into the country as long as Customs has no issue with it. see what happens when she calls back in the next day or 2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Contact Anne at Air 2000 Hunter's Support. If anyone would know about importing a suppressor to SA, it would be her.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
just got back 2 days ago and no one even looked at my can not even the serial number

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It seems like a bold move taking an NFA item out of the country. Especially considering you are relying on the intelligence and mood of the police in the destination country and the TSA officer who clears you coming in. So far, never had any real issues with TSA coming home.

I have hunted 14 countries, most of them more than once and while I have been lucky, I have also been through a couple ordeals that 100% centered around human nature, ignorance, greed/government corruption.

IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Red_Monkey
I talked to CBP and HS about taking my can to SA on safari. They suggested NOT doing it, going over should not be a problem but, coming back very well could be. Suppressor can NOT be imported and bring one into the country is considered 'importing' to them. You may be arrested and the can confiscated even if you have your paper work. That's what they told me in Atlanta when I called.
You may be able to use one from you Ph when you get there.
This sounds like sound advice, except, you are not importing a can since you didn’t buy it outside the USA. You can’t import a gun either, but you can bring your gun back with you.

Also, it’s been my experience that calling up TSA, HS or CBP, you do not get the expert advice. If they aren’t intimately familiar with the topic, it’s my experience that they just guess or err on the side of caution. These are gov employees, not attorneys.

I’m still leery of taking a can outside the USA until a very solid track record of bringing them home is established.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
well the proof that you did not buy it outside the country is when custom's sees it on your 4457 form with the serial number and mfg. name on it. I would not hesitate taking mine again

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Hydehunter
well the proof that you did not buy it outside the country is when custom's sees it on your 4457 form with the serial number and mfg. name on it. I would not hesitate taking mine again
You would think that would be sufficient. You own it, you took it. Shouldn’t be a problem … until it is.

Some Class III devices require that you get government permits just to travel to certain states. SBR’s in particular (Not sure about cans and different states) Taking it out of the country is asking for scrutiny, if not fines or confiscation (even if temporary). All you need is a CBP agent who wants to impress a supervisor (had it happen before) to completely screw your day.

I don’t know the law, so, you may be 100% correct. But I’m not risking my can on the word of some ill informed gov official who doesn’t even know what a tax stamp is.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
the state dept says they will issue you a permit if you want one but the cost is 2400.00 but they might be able to wave that for a one time trip but it will take 4-6 months to do. I would take mine again no issues at all

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,766 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.