Hop To
#11 04/03/01
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
How many bowhunters do we have here?

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
BP-B2

#12 04/03/01
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I guess I make 2, but there has to be more of us on here. Ryan

#13 04/03/01
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Surprised this one didnt come around sooner. Well they will come i am sure.

<A HREF="http://thesouthern" TARGET=_blank>http://thesouthern</A> outdoorsman.com
#14 04/03/01
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a 60lbs Hornes recurve, but my main prey is Nutria. Deer will come in June, I hope.<BR>I love the feel of the bow, but I must admit this type of hunting can be very depressing:<BR>I stalked a small Nutria last sunday and missed at 9 meters...<BR>olivier

Age quod agis
#15 04/04/01
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
As a teenager, I and five neighborhood pals shot our bows nearly every day the weather was half-way decent. We were all unbelievably deadly with our recurve bows, shooting instinctively....especially when we learned to use those new-fangled aluminum arrows. We were a collective menace, actually, to innumerable species in the area, including, squirrels, chipmunks, frogs, fish, cottontails, and some unmentionables. I remember enjoying their admiration and attaboys when I became the first kid to bring home a raccoon. The fame was short-lived, however. Some show-off had to go and shoot a deer. It was a thrill for all of us, though, as we revelled in each other's accomplishments afield. Pretty exciting times for youngsters in cow country. I haven't hunted with a bow in over 20 years, but still drag out that old Ben Pearson 50# "Stallion" every summer to shoot a little with my kids, in the back yard. Good memories .... and there are worse ways for a kid to spend a summer afternoon! LC

IC B2

#16 04/04/01
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I LOVE BOWHUNTING!!!!!!!!!!!I have hunted with a bow for 5 years now and love it more and more all the time.I have only hunted deer so far but I want to try other things.I shoot a oneida eagle(O.K. are you all done laughing)I like the bow and I shoot it real good so thats all that matters to me,besides I dont have the 500+ dollars for a new one..............yet.

#17 04/04/01
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
While I like reading and posting on the shooting boards my first love is bowhunting. I started bowhunting in about 1989 when my I noticed that my buddy got to start hunting in October. I was jealous. He started to teach me how to shoot and at first it was frustrating to say the least. I took a small doe my first season and was hooked. Last year I took my 40th deer with a bow. I have also taken several black bears, wild boar and 2 bull elk and turkey. It still amazes me to this day how deadly a sharp broadhead in the right place is. A big advantage to bow hunting is the sheer amount of relativley unspooked game I see during bow season compared to the rifle season. This is very important since I almost always hunt public land. I look forward to seeing more bowhunting posts and participating. HOSS

#18 04/06/01
M
M
I have been bow hunting for a long time, ans still do, along with monthly 3-d shoots.

#19 04/07/01
Hubby hasn't bowhunted in a couple of years. We shoot our recurves at 3Ds every weekend. Does that count?

#20 04/08/01
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I want to start bowhunting again as I only <BR>tried it for a couple of years when in high<BR>school. Now at 38 it just seems to be calling<BR>again. I am looking for a bow & the Matthews<BR>look really good but expensive. Any ideas on<BR>a bow that will be good for a long time?<BR> Oulufinn<BR>p.s. Loud Cloud, I grew up in Northern Wi &<BR>hunt back home every year. What part are you from? My hometown is Oulu, between Ashland & Superior.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by oulufinn (edited April 08, 2001).]

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

IC B3

#21 04/09/01
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
oulufinn,<BR>I live about half-way between Phillips and Park Falls, which puts me about 60 miles south of Ashland. We do most of our hunting and fishing in the Chequamegon, along the Chippewa River and usually within about a 6 mile radius of Bear Lake. Our shack is about 16 miles west of the little town of Butternut. We can cast a bucktail into the river while sitting on the front porch steps. We've had several days of rain now, and the snow is almost completely gone ... finally! Haven't seen that place since deer season, sure am anxious to pack up and head back out there. [Linked Image] LC

#22 04/21/01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
oulufinn,<P>Count me among the string-pullers. Regarding getting a new bow: If you KNOW you're not going to spend the coin for a Mathews, DO NOT pick one up. DO NOT hold one in your hand. FLEE the MQ32!!! <P>If you touch one you'll want one, which is what happened to me. Nothing comes close. It was worth the money. I had to order mine being a lefty shooter, and before I left the shop I had precious little change left from my 10 X $100 dollar bills. (I got new arrows, release, the works).<P>Divide the cost out over a few decades (I know that's idealistic) and it's not so bad. Where I live, I can bowhunt big game from Mid Sept until Mid Nov. That's a lot of days in the field.<P>Good luck, Talus

#23 04/20/01
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Two more Bow hunters ,My husband and I both shoot.<BR>I just got into bow hunting last year and shot 3Ds all summer. I just upgraded my bow to a High Country lite force,I love it.<BR>My husband had a Reflex ---just noticed that there was a problem with the limb pockets so he had to send it in for repair.Well we were told it could take 4 weeks or longer to get back.Ouch--who wants to wait that long with all the 3D shoots around? We ended up looking at new Bows for him--I cant believe I let him touch a mathews.LOL <BR>Good shooting to you all.

#24 04/20/01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Talus:<P>Please tell me more about that Mathews.<P>I am an absolute novice. The momentum for getting into bowhunting has been growing steadily in me, and I've heard more than a few folks say the same kinda things about the Mathews MQ32. One buddy who I trust said, "Rick, I know you, you're going to own one eventually, so just save everyone the aggravation and buy it from the start."<P>I usually do a lot of research before this kinda purchase, but I'm getting the idea that this Mathews is the goods.<P>Tell me more, please.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
#25 04/20/01
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Rick,I dont know that much about Bow's.But from all the checking out we have done the mathews seems like a real nice one.Steve liked the reflex but we were told that the mathews has much better customer sataficiton,and after just going thru the problem with the limb pockets and being told how long it could take to get the Bow repaired,well we decided it was better to spent the extra money.<BR>Steve shoots fingers so he needed a longer Bow --he went with Mathews MQ1,we are heading out to the first 3D shoot tomorrow with our new Bows ,I will let you know how he likes it.<BR>He has been sleeping with it ,if that is any indacation of how much he like it .Opps ,he told me not to tell anyone.

#26 04/20/01
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, how suhweeet!!<P>(I can say that now ... but wait 'til I get one. Hell, I might even name it!) [Linked Image]<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
715 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 91 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.