Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm getting ready to start working my rows and planting will do green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, tomato, green bell peppers, jalapeno, poblano peppers, watermelon, radish, peanuts, okra and eggplant for spring and summer.

GB2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Still early...

I plant one every year.

Or should say me and my dad plant one each year.

It keeps getting bigger and bigger.

He retired last year, so i hoping this year will be the best.

Already have 20# potatoes planted. 5# onions.

It’ll be early mid May before the rest are planted.

“Big garden”
Corn - g90 mad peaches ‘n cream.
Peas - top pick pink eye purple hulls and lady peas.
Okra - crimson spineless and emerald

“Side garden”

Tomatoes - sandwich and canning
Peppers - sweet banana, hot ( jalapeños and habenero) and bell
Squash - white and crook neck
Eggplant
Zucchini
Cucumbers - canning / pickling.

Going to co-op in the morn.

Afraid to see fertilizer price.

Figured I’ll get a couple bags here and there...

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got 4 or 5 unopened bags of triple 13 in the barn, so I shouldn't have to buy any fertilizer this year. Wife says we're going to cut down the size of the garden to about 1/2 acre this year. We'll see!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I grow a big garden every year, plus grow stuff inside a high tunnel. I'm getting ready to plant some potatoes and green peas in the high tunnel this weekend. Traditionally, I have always had a large garden, because I find it just as easy to work a lot as opposed to just a little. I also sell some produce at the local produce auction, although I have cut back on that quite a lot, as it gets harder to gather the produce as I get older. We can and freeze our garden bounty, plus I give a lot of it away as well.

Here is what I usually plant............potatoes, green peas, onions, beets, cabbage, broccoli, sweet corn, green beans, squash, tomatoes, okra, purple-hull peas, green peppers, hot peppers, butter beans, cucumbers, pinto beans, pumpkins and gourds. I also have big strawberry patch, blackberries that I grow for market, raspberries, blueberries, apple trees, a cherry tree, asparagus, and a grapevine from which I have had zero luck getting grapes that are worth a crap.

I probably forgot a veggie or two, but that's what I usually plant each year. I have a granddaughter who takes the veggies and fruit to local fair and always comes home with a bunch of ribbons and money. I am just following what I grew up doing, as my folks always had a large garden.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sounds good guys, I can't wait to get started it's how i get my exercise and stay active. Plus the rewards of eating fresh vegetables.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Mine has become smaller and smaller.Use to be about 1/2 acre. Now maybe 15x15 feet.Just the two of us don't eat all that much so a lot of it spoiled or left over in the freezer form year to year. It got so I gave away more to the neighbors than we ate. It cost more to pump water out of the ground to water it than what it would cost to go buy it. Another reason was we live at7650 feet,growing season is less than 90 days. I figured we picked a crop one year out of three.The other two it got hailed on or deer got it

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Mine has become smaller and smaller.Use to be about 1/2 acre. Now maybe 15x15 feet.Just the two of us don't eat all that much so a lot of it spoiled or left over in the freezer form year to year. It got so I gave away more to the neighbors than we ate. It cost more to pump water out of the ground to water it than what it would cost to go buy it. Another reason was we live at7650 feet,growing season is less than 90 days. I figured we picked a crop one year out of three.The other two it got hailed on or deer got it

I hear ya it's getting pricey to grow a garden, I also give a lot to neighbors and friends but it's my hobby and will do it long as I can. Surprised you can even grow a garden where you live. When we were working Rv Parks we lived 1 summer on 8 mile hill west of canon city and 4 summers west of Gunnison on Blue Mesa really enjoyed the summers in Colorado.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yep, mostly squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, jalapeños

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hanco
bb

Now that you are retired you have plenty time to watch it grow and get some needed exercise.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Glad i just do it for a hobby….

13-13-13 is $19/50#.

Last few years been using a Covington planter for the row crops.

Cut down on ferlizer a good bit.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I grow a sizeable garden every year. Amazing that some are already thinking of working the soil. Here in eastern Ontario we are a long ways from that. Last frost around these parts is late May. Despite the late start we can grow an amazing variety of vegetables and with decent yields. I’ve already started the pepper seeds indoors.

Nick

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Glad i just do it for a hobby….

13-13-13 is $19/50#.

Last few years been using a Covington planter for the row crops.

Cut down on ferlizer a good bit.

That's getting high,hell I paid close to $14 for 8-8-8 back in August 21. That Covington planter looks nice. My garden is only 20x40 has 7 27' and 4 18' rows 3' apart.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nick1899
I grow a sizeable garden every year. Amazing that some are already thinking of working the soil. Here in eastern Ontario we are a long ways from that. Last frost around these parts is late May. Despite the late start we can grow an amazing variety of vegetables and with decent yields. I’ve already started the pepper seeds indoors.

Nick

Here in South Louisiana last frost for us is late march but that doesn't happen much lately. I'm wanting to work till the rows this week and start planting mid march. I was still harvesting cabbage, radish, turnip and zucchini in early December.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
that aint no joke,

back in Sept when i planted foodplots,

fetilizer was $14/50#.

heard glyphosate is sky high also.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I planted a few potatoes and some green peas in the high tunnel yesterday afternoon. I have never grown potatoes in there, as the high tunnel can get hot, and potatoes generally do not like real hot conditions. I'm going to go ahead and plant some sweet corn this upcoming week in there as well. I did last year, and it turned out pretty good.

As to fertilizer prices, yes they are up big time. I had a bag of triple-19 left from last year, and I've got some chicken litter I will also scatter on the garden, as well as some horse manure. I probably can get by with only buying a few bags of the commercial stuff this year.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Riverc
Originally Posted by hanco
bb

Now that you are retired you have plenty time to watch it grow and get some needed exercise.

And shoot squirrels jacking with my tomatoes

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes I do. Went to boxes two years ago since it was just the wife and I. Better crops, better weed management. The daughter moved back in-state and half of our stores are now gone. Grandkids love potatoes, corn and beans. Widening the garden this year and adding additional rows of potatoes and corn.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
We have a decent sized veggie garden (45x45) but are slowly converting it over more to fruit. Strawberries, raspberries, boysenberries, rhubarb, and trying grafting fruit trees this year. We will still plant tomatoes, cukes, zucchini, green beans, potatoes, a few herbs, cabbage, carrots, onions, and some flowers. I also use it as a holding place for propagated shrubs/flowers, etc.

By we I really mean me!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have some raised beds, 2 weekends ago I rigged up a mini greenhouse over a bed to get some stuff started. I got some scrap clear webbed 6mill plastic and 2x4s from work for the greenhouse. It's working good so far, we are still getting frost at night.

I got about 40 onions going and some artichokes. Hopefully 2022 is a better year for my garden, last you didn't do as good as I would have liked.

Riverc Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hoglegs3006
I have some raised beds, 2 weekends ago I rigged up a mini greenhouse over a bed to get some stuff started. I got some scrap clear webbed 6mill plastic and 2x4s from work for the greenhouse. It's working good so far, we are still getting frost at night.

I got about 40 onions going and some artichokes. Hopefully 2022 is a better year for my garden, last you didn't do as good as I would have liked.

Sounds like a good idea on the greenhouse ..I worked (Tilled) my garden Saturday, will start planting in about 2 weeks.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,718 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.