Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I want to share my experience so those of you in MN know what to expect when you defend your self or your family. It didn't end how it should have and I'm facing up to 7 years in prison and 2 felony charges.

Last July, I was driving my 2 daughters, on a Sunday afternoon, to Scheels to go have some fun and get out of the house. I was on a 65mph highway in the right lane. This was when there was highway shootings happening all over here. A completely blacked out, modified sports car with dark tinted windows and all the badging removed, flew by us at like 90 and all most clipped my front bumper off as he cut into my lane. I was in the slow lane doing the speed limit. Then he slowed down to under the speed limit. So I just got in the left lane and started to pass. As I started approaching the truck in front of me and turned my blinker on, he sped up and closed the gap. I switched into his lane to avoid hitting the truck in front of me. I then matched the speed of the car in front of me.

Just so you know what the surroundings were like... At this point is when the highway gets complicated and traffic bunches up. My 2 lane turns into a 4 lane as 2 lanes from another highway merge. then right after that another 2 lane entrance merges onto the highway. On this 2 mile stretch of highway there are 0 exits and a construction zone with the shoulder blocked off the entire stretch. Tons of traffic merges and you always get boxed in on all sides by vehicles.

This is when things got scary. I looked back in my rear view mirror to see what the situation was. I could not see his car at all. I started looking all around and could not see his car anywhere. Then his roof appeared at the top edge of my tailgate. He was riding the nose of his car under my bumper. He backed off to the point where I could just see the front bumper of his car. Then he started making threatening gestures, throwing he hand out the window cocked sideways like he had a gun and jumping around in his car. He then slammed on the gas and acted like he was going to ram us and his car completely disappeared again because he was so close to me. I braced for impact, but he never impacted. All I could think was, "I have my 2 kids in the car," so I didn't do any antagonizing, and stayed at the same speed as traffic, to not escalate the situation. I never made eye contact with this person and never made any gestures. I just wanted to keep my kids safe. He repeated the ramming thing again, but never hit. A space opened up to my right, so I moved one more lane right, to let him by. He followed my bumper into the next lane right, then continued backing off, threatening, then acting like he was going to ram us again. At this point, I really thought this guy was going to kill us. He did this for about 2 miles and would serve left and right to threaten me in my side mirrors. So, I'm driving a 2006 Silverado 2500, with 300,000 miles on it and I kept picturing him hitting my rear end, spinning us out, and my truck tumbling and rolling into the ditch killing my kids. I also have an old style flip phone that is in my pants pocket, and I couldn't get it out of my pocket, sitting and buckled up. I do have my conceal carry permit and my pistol accessible. I don't draw my pistol yet as I continue to wait out his attacks, hoping he will let us go. Well, a car to his left switched one more lane left. This crazy guy swerved to the lane left of me, the sped up to right next to my driver window and slowed down to keep his window next to mine. I looked over to see if he was going to do something and he was jumping all around in his car and throwing his hand up in the air sideways like a gangsta with a side cocked gun. I really thought this guy was going to kill us at this point. I thought about my options. Crash throught the vehicle in front of me or to the side of me and cause a multi-car collision at highway speed, or point my pistol to deter him from doing anything else and leave us alone. so I pulled my pistol, rested it over my left steering arm and just kept it aimed down at him, in case I had to fire. He jumped around more, then he sped off at a high rate of speed. No shots were fired, no one got hurt and I felt I made the safest decision to stop this guy's attack on me and my kids. I took a deep breath and tried to stay calm. I took the next exit. As I got to the end of the exit, I saw that car up at the stoplight. I wanted to get closer to try and get his plate number, but decided to keep my kids safe and stayed 200ft back from him. As he turned, then I went forward, made my turn and drove the next 1/2mile to our destination. I parked, told my kids we were just going to sit in the truck for a few minutes cause I need to calm down and stop shaking. I thought about what had happened, I recapped my reactions. I did everything I was supposed to do. I tried all my options to get away from the guy, I didn't escalate the situation, I stayed at a constant speed and didn't pull over on the side of the road, as any road rage class will tell you not to pull over on the side of the road. I tried every option other, than crashing through other traffic to get away. I'm telling you this detail so you know that even if you do everything you were supposed to to, the police and prosecutors will still try to put you in prison. I calmed down and thought about calling the police. I did not know what this guy looked like because his windows were too tinted. I don't know what kind of car it was because all the badges were removed, it was blacked out, and had different body molding, and I didn't have a plate number. The only thing I would be able to tell the police is, "it was a black car". I know from prior experience reporting crazy drivers, the police won't do anything, even if you have a plate number. I also know the City of Eden Prairie is a known ant-gun ant-self defense city. I also thought, "there is no way in hell this other guy is going to call the cops after what he did to us." No one was hurt, no shots were fired, and nothing was damaged. It was done and over with. Scheels was closing soon so I decided to just go in and have fun with my girls. It would have been a waste of time and taxes to call the police at this point and I knew they would probably arrest me because I had a gun and they hate gun owners here. THIS WAS MY ONE AND ONLY MISTAKE. but doesn't automatically mean I'm guilty.

Scheels closed and I was walking my kids out to my truck. I noticed a police car sitting there right out side the entrance and thought, that's weird. At this point, I had moved on and completely forgot about what had happened earlier. The officer watched me get my kids in the truck and buckle them up. As I started leaving the parking lot, the officer started following me. I thought he was going to pull me over because I had anti-democrat stickers, anti-mask stickers, and called out Gov. Walz on the back of my truck.(this is probably why that guy started crap with me on the highway as this area is filled with left wingers. So I just pulled into another parking spot to see what the officer wanted. I parked, rolled down my window, and put my hands on the top of the steering wheel, in preparation for him coming up to talk to me. Instead he jumped out of his squad, gun drawn, hiding behind his door, yelling "hands! hands! put your hands out the window!" My kids got scared at this point so I looked at them and told them everything was going to be ok. I put my hands out the window. He asked if I had any weapons and I told him I have a cary permit and have a 1911 on my hip. I asked him what was going on and that I have kids in the car. He didn't answer and instructed me to get out and walk backwards to him with my hands interlaced on my head, then kneel on the ground. I followed all his orders. He then said he was going to hand cuff me and not to reach for my gun. I reassured him I would not reach for my gun. He handcuffed me. I then told him my pistol is chambered and on safe so he could safely remove it from my holster. He got my pistol then put me in the back of his car handcuffed. I asked over and over what was going on and he wouldn't tell me. It hadn't clicked in my head that that [bleep] actually called the cops after assaulting me and my kids. I told the officer, I have 2 other firearms in the truck that they need to get out of there because my kids are alone in that truck right now. He said, "don't worry about that." I told him that again and he said he'd take car of that. 5 other squad cars, including swat members showed up. They left me in the back of the squad, while they integrated my children. They would not talk to me and didn't even attempt to ask me any question. At one point, I said, "The only thing I can think of is there was this crazy guy trying to run me and my kids off the road earlier and threatening us. Still no answer on why this was happening. After about 30min I heard the officer saying, we have a person we think matches your description and then another voice said, "[bleep]! you mother [bleep]!" They asked me for a family member's phone number so they could have someone pick up my kids,. He then read me miranda rights and said I am being arrested and charged with 2nd degree felony assault and felony terroristic threats with a weapon. He asked if I wanted to make a statement and I said no at this point because he was already arresting and charging me and I would be going to jail and court. He hauled me off to Hennepin County Jail.

I spent 5 days in jail. they issued a protection order against me for the actual assaulter. They took my cary permit and made staements that I should have never been allowed to own a gun in the first place and made a big spectacle about my [bleep] your mask sticker and list of democrat [bleep] on the back of my truck and that I pointed a gun with kids in the car. They said because I had these stickers, I am a particularly disturbed very anger person. They set my bail at $100,000, but the judge also offered $20,000 and full on house arrest where I can't even leave the walls of my house. After 5 days, I got out of jail on house arrest with an ankle bracelet on. I had to go straight home and stay in my house. The judge was notified that I was the sole provider for my kids and had to be able to take them to school, the doctor, pay bills, get to the post office, and even check my mail and asked if I could have access to my yard so my kids are not on house arrest and they can go play in the yard, Nope! No leaving the walls of your house,

Now what was happening on the police side and investigation. The highway footage existed, but they did not want to get it and the footage was deleted after 5 days, while I was in jail for 5 days. I believe this was done because they didn't like my stickers and are gung ho to prosecute me to the fullest extent of the law. They showed zero interest in interrogating the other guy. They only asked him what I did to him and never what he did to us. This guy took the chain of events and completely swapped it backwards so that he was minding his own business and I was attacking him, then pulled a gun on him. He didn't tell them about him threatening us and trying to ram us off the road. He spoke in a calm voice as he lied through his teeth.The police didn't push him for anything, they didn't want to get more out of him. When they interrogated my kids with no one around, They only asked them about me pointing the gun. My kids told them over and over someone was trying to run us off the road, yet the officers never dove into that truth and ask what happened with that. They completely ignored me and my kids telling them someone was trying to run us off the road. They just grilled them to say I pointed the gun. The police flat out did not care about what really happened, they only cared about prosecuting me. Again, the didn't even bother to go look at the highway footage to see what happened and had the video deleted while I was still in jail.They also made me get rid of all guns and reloading equipment in my house and they confiscated my 2 pistols and my daughter's rifle and took custody of them., combat vet, republican, full time single father, and engineer.

After 6 months, they let me off house arrest and I am awaiting trial, that will be made up of gun hating liberals from the Minneapolis area, I meet all the requirements stated in Minnesota state law for justifiable use of self defense, but the prosecutor doesn't care, they want me in prison and won't drop the charges Mick Freeman is the head prosecutor on my case. (George Floyd's prosecutor).They even sent a summons to my daughter to appear and testify against me.They still have zero interest in me and my daughters saying this guy was trying to run us off the road. They know there was no exits off the highway, I was boxed in, and there was no way to get away. They don't care. They just want to prosecute a gun ower

So I face 7 years in prison, loosing my kids, loosing my guns and property, having a protection order, 2 felonies, barred from ever owning guns again, and barred from voting,

Regret:
Regrets for ever moving my family fro South Dakota to Minnesota, for not shooting this guy after he lied to ruin my families lives, for not calling the police and reporting it. Although I shouldn't have to because no one got hurt and there was no damages.I wouldn't have done anything differnt as I tried all other options to get away and deescalate the situation. You know, what they teach you in conceal carry class, That don't mean [bleep] if they want you in jail.

I think the case should be dropped based on the botched investigation or purposefully ignoring glaring evidence and deleting that evidence, only investigating to put me in prison instead of investigating the other guy and finding the actual truth,

As soon as you are charged, they don't have to prove you guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. It is actually you are assumed guilty and you have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that your self defense was warranted, See how they change the law backward when it applies to a gun owner.

I want the jury to be non-bias and see its an obvious case of self defense, the to drop the charges, give me my property back, then I want them to charge that other guy for assaulting us with his 3000lb deadly weapon and I want to sew him for lying to the police and for all the damages he cause me and my family and get my $30,000 back. I want him to read victim impact statements from my kids before they haul him off to jail. And I want to get out of this double standard state the second I can and raise my kids in a free state.I want reparations for the lost time with my kids and the detrimental affect it had at my work.

The best was you can safely defend your self and family is to move out of Minnesota. In most other states, the police will at lease try to get all the facts instead of suppressing them and deleting them.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'm sorry that you find yourself in this dilemma, and I hope you find some solutions to your problems.

One question I have is who is it that has made these accusations against you and why, its not because he is a "good citizen" ?

And a little advice, bumper stickers say things about you that are better left unsaid.

Last edited by jimy; 02/22/22.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
its sad this bad guy gets away with what he pulled and lied about .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It may be wise to say nothing about this on a public forum.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If you ain't going to use it don't pull it, Rio7

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by gwrench
It may be wise to say nothing about this on a public forum.
+10 I was taught that you should always call the cops if you have to pull your gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7

If you ain't going to use it don't pull it, Rio7

Exactly, I would never show a piece of schitt like that my gun, if I wasn't gonna use it.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gohip, I hope you get this crap straightened out.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Just a thought , NRA-ILA. I believe they actively work on these cases.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
...Regrets...for not shooting this guy after he lied...

Sounds like you shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Where was your lawyer when they were questioning you and why did you let them question your children?

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never pull a gun unless you have a legal need to kill someone . Now it's your word against his and he is the one who called the cops . Should have lost the seat belt and called 911 when he first started his stupid [bleep] and left the gun in the holster.

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 02/25/22.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Gohip2000
...Regrets...for not shooting this guy after he lied...

Sounds like you shouldn't be allowed to own a firearm.

At the very least that comment should have been kept to yourself . Anyone can search the internet and find this and use it against you , I would if I were prosecuting you . Some things you need to keep to yourself .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I didn't let the police question my kids. they just did it with no one else present. I don't have a choice being handcuffed in the back of a squad car. The police never questioned me. They wouldn't even talk to me until I was officially charged and being hauled off to jail. That's the only time they asked me if I wanted to say anything. I never had the chance to call a lawyer until I was already in jail. The 1st lawyer told me we have plenty of time to get the highway footage. WRONG. I never had a chance to say what happened until I was being charged with 2 felonies and at that point I knew it's time to be quiet. "Never pull a gun unless your going to shoot". I disagree and challenge you when someone is threatening your life. I have pulled a firearm in combat to stop a situations from progressing further and its a tactic police do all the time. It more often than not stops the threat. I have no idea who the person is because he was in a fully blacked out tinted out car and I could see nothing but his shadowy outline. Believe me, I contacted the NRA and a bunch of other pro gun groups and they all just say, "We don't deal with criminal cases." By all intents and purposes, I should have been able to shoot him as he was attacking me and my kids with a 3000lb weapon and we had no way out other than for me to crash through multiple other cars and possibly hurt a lot more people. Fumbling around and trying to dig my phone out of my pocket while I was bracing for possible impacts over and over again was not doable. I was in the center lane, surrounded on all sides by cars going 65mph, in an old truck with loose steering. I tried every other means to get away from the guy. The only mistake I made was not calling the police before he did. He also waited a 1/2hour to call the police and went home and consulted with friend to come up with his story and completely change it around. I don't take back my comment, he was trying to seriously hurt or kill me and my kids. I have to tell people so I don't go insane and all this info is already out. They never investigated this other guy in the slightest, even after my kids told the police he was trying to run us off the road.
Do not move to minnesota if you value your rights and safety.
Being the victim and being prosecuted, while the actual assaulter is given a protection order and you never get to see the face of the person who attacked your family, is the worst part of this whole thing.

Last edited by Gohip2000; 03/02/22.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
With my stickers, before moving to MN, I never had them up. Only after moving to this liberal [bleep] and being ordered to stay in our homes, wear masks, kick my kids out of school, and get a shot to keep my job by our governor and pres, did I feel the need to post up my comments on my truck. Yep did it 2 years and now their back down and I installed front and back cameras in my truck to record every time I drive. I will not take down my American Flag though.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
it cost plenty money to fight the law but it was illegal for the enforcement to talk to your kids without your permission . things up in north country not the sh -it hole called the twin cities are not like the liberal area. its too late to say what you should have done. one thing about law enforcement is they know you are easy to prosecute because you won`t cause them any problem but if you were a different race and lied they would have just let you leave in the liberal area. good luck,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read where you said you have pulled your gun during combat and didn't shoot and cops do it too. But, that was not considered a combat situation and you are not a police officer are you? They look at things different. Remember that. And also thank you for your service. I don't say that enough.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I sincerely hope you consulted with your lawyer before pasting this, although I doubt it. This isn’t Facebook drama, you are giving the prosecutors wayyyy too much data and a peak inside your mind. You handed them a very effective argument “should have shot him” to use against you in a criminal case and any future attempt you make to have your firearms rights restored.

Not for nothing, what kind of liability do you think would be attached to shooting at a moving vehicle, maybe rendering that driver incapacitated, and turning his car into a move uncontrolled weapon. While I have the benefit of hindsight, I would say get your phone out somehow and call 911. Pull over on the shoulder if you have too, those are safer options than shooting the driver of a car.

What ever you do, stop posting this on any public forum. Talk to your lawyer. If he’s ok with you posting, he’s a dim wit, get another lawyer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's done is done, now. You need a really good lawyer who specializes in criminal cases.

Best of luck. I'm afraid you are really going to need it.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
the best criminal lawyer in Minnesota is probabaly Stevn Meshbesher, spelling may be wrong ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.