Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
I ain’t gettin’ too hung up on the timeline. The preterist view does make sense to me.
This is what Paul taught about the Preterest view. " Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."
2Timothy 2:18
He called it profane and vain babblings.
Was Paul referring specifically to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, which is clearly specifically what I was referring to regarding the preterist view…? Or was Paul referring to something completely different than that…?

Yes, double fulfillment is common in Bible prophecy.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ain’t gettin’ too hung up on the timeline. The preterist view does make sense to me.

This is what Paul taught about the Preterest view.

" Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."

Yes, because AT THAT TIME (prior to 70AD), it had not yet happened.

Audience relevance.

Audience relevance.

Audience relevance.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
This is what Paul taught about the Preterest view. " Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."
Was Paul referring specifically to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, which is clearly specifically what I was referring to regarding the preterist view…? Or was Paul referring to something completely different than that…?
From Paul’s specific reference above, it seems he was clearly specifically referring to something other than the pending destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, both of which absolutely and unequivocally happened just as Jesus predicted it would.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That's not what Preterists believe. They believe that the prophesies of Matthew 24 have already been fully fulfilled. They believe that Jesus arose from the grave, but not bodily.
Preterism teaches that the 7 year tribulation period was from AD 63 to AD 70. Did Jesus return yet? Don't ask a Preterist.
There's a spiritualization of events that are meant to be taken literal. Most christians believe that the temple was destroyed already. That doesn't mean we "have a preterist view."
If antlers is a preterist, fine. People can believe what they want.
I just wouldn't go attend their church.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just think it makes sense that Jesus was predicting the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple. That’s all. And about 40 years later, it happened just as He said it would.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Jesus' main audience was the Jews. He left spreading the word to the Gentiles to others, mainly Paul. 70 AD was the end of Judaism as it was practiced at the time and Jesus fulfilled the law.
All end times prophecies weren't fulfilled in 70, however. There are too many of them in the Bible that haven't happened yet. The appearance of the anti-Christ and the mark of the beast haven't happened, just to name a couple. And most certainly, every eye has NOT seen the return of Christ to reign on earth. I sure don't see him on any earthly throne.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of what we believe, regardless of how we behave…regardless of anything else…Jesus’ invitation to us is “Follow Me.”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Regardless of what we believe, regardless of how we behave…regardless of anything else…Jesus’ invitation to us is “Follow Me.”

Indeed.

I've posted this before. One of the best sermons ever recorded. Speaks to that very thing. An hour very well spent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They believe that Jesus arose from the grave, but not bodily.

I know a lot of Preterists...none of them believe that.

I do know Preterists who believe some things that I think are crazy, but that is true of every label you can come up with.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Tarbe
They believe that Jesus arose from the grave, but not bodily.

I know a lot of Preterists...none of them believe that.

I do know Preterists who believe some things that I think are crazy, but that is true of every label you can come up with.

I am preterist and it was a bodily resurrection............... so that shoots that one down!

Last edited by Muffin; 02/28/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
From Paul’s specific reference above, it seems he was clearly specifically referring to something other than the pending destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, both of which absolutely and unequivocally happened just as Jesus predicted it would.

It's interesting that HC quotes 2 Thess. For if you slow down and read it, it is clear that their understanding of the 2nd Coming, the Resurrection and the 'end of the world' are not consistent with what is taught today!

They thought it possible to be alive and on earth AFTER the coming and the resurrection, why did Paul NOT correct that notion!?!? Where did they get that idea? Do most Christians today believe that the 'Mail is going to be delivered' afterwards??

Also Hymeneus and Philetus were indeed wrong because it had not happened YET! It is possible to say the same thing that they said, AFTER the event has happened, and then the statement would be correct.... But then HC knows full well that their statements were made PRIOR to the destruction of Jerusalem....

Last edited by Muffin; 02/28/22.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Jesus' main audience was the Jews. He left spreading the word to the Gentiles to others, mainly Paul. 70 AD was the end of Judaism as it was practiced at the time and Jesus fulfilled the law.
All end times prophecies weren't fulfilled in 70, however. There are too many of them in the Bible that haven't happened yet. The appearance of the anti-Christ and the mark of the beast haven't happened, just to name a couple. And most certainly, every eye has NOT seen the return of Christ to reign on earth. I sure don't see him on any earthly throne.

"and the mark of the beast haven't happened" Try to do any significant business without providing your national ID number. Open a bank account. You are a number.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The anti-Christ has to come first. He will instigate the mark. All they're doing now is setting up a system that will make the mark possible.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The anti-Christ has to come first. He will instigate the mark. All they're doing now is setting up a system that will make the mark possible.

Is this the man of lawlessness in 2 Thess 2???

( . Y . )
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Who cares? If one idea makes you sleep well at night, God Bless.

If you need the promise of a paradise afterlife to not screw your daughter, God Bless?

In the end, we are the same as we were before our first breath, nothing. I don't need a promise to not hurt others.

But, if believing in Whatever the Fugg, gives you comfort, I'm happy for you. It costs me nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with you that if the motivation for being a decent person and doing good is the expectation of a divine reward…so you can win the big prize in the end…then that is a pretty selfish and self-centered motivation.

Jesus’ motivation for saving us was because He loved us. Period. Some folks follow Jesus because they love Him and appreciate what He did for them...THAT is their motivation. And they show their love and devotion for Him by loving and helping others for whom He died. It’s pretty selfless.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with you that if the motivation for being a decent person and doing good is the expectation of a divine reward…so you can win the big prize in the end…then that is a pretty selfish and self-centered motivation.

Jesus’ motivation for saving us was because He loved us. Period. Some folks follow Jesus because they love Him and appreciate what He did for them...THAT is their motivation. And they show their love and devotion for Him by loving and helping others for whom He died. It’s pretty selfless.

I don't doubt you, though I question selfless, as no one does anything for selfless reasons.

I know we'd be screwed if a bunch of so called Christian's suddenly found out there was no reward. That would give them card blanche for a lot of horrible acts, which makes no sense to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A lotta people feel as you do regarding these things. And with good reason. People often have pretty good reasons for feeling the way they do about such things.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A lotta people feel as you do regarding these things. And with good reason. People often have pretty good reasons for feeling the way they do about such things.

Do feel about Christ, or do you believe? I believe what I stated, I don't feel it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike78
Do you feel about Christ, or do you believe? I believe what I stated, I don't feel it.
Maybe a poor choice of a word on my part in my quote above that you responded to. My point was that whether you see things a certain way regarding the subject matter that you and I are discussing, or you believe certain things about the subject matter that you and I are discussing, or you feel a certain way about the subject matter that you and I are discussing…I’m simply saying that I understand that. And that many others can relate to your sentiments as well. And I understand that too. And that you, and the many others that share your sentiments, likely have good reasons for believing as you, and they, do regarding the subject matter that you and I are discussing. That’s all.

As the whether I “feel” or “believe” about Jesus, I believe. I believe absolutely and unequivocally. And I feel it in my cells.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.