Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by Mike78
A lotta people feel as you do regarding these things. And with good reason. People often have pretty good reasons for feeling the way they do about such things.
Do you feel about Christ, or do you believe? I believe what I stated, I don't feel it.
Maybe a poor choice of a word on my part in my quote above that you responded to. My point was that whether you see things a certain way regarding the subject matter that you and I are discussing, or you believe certain things about the subject matter that you and I are discussing, or you feel a certain way about the subject matter that you and I are discussing…I’m simply saying that I understand that. And that many others can relate to your sentiments as well. And I understand that too. And that you, and the many others that share your sentiments, likely have good reasons for believing as you, and they, do regarding the subject matter that you and I are discussing. That’s all.

I savvy

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tarbe
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper
They believe that Jesus arose from the grave, but not bodily.

I know a lot of Preterists...none of them believe that.

I do know Preterists who believe some things that I think are crazy, but that is true of every label you can come up with.

Those I knew were all over the map with differing beliefs, so no surprise. I caught one after our Bible study passing out pamphlets telling people to leave their church if their pastor didn't teach that Thomas Jefferson was The Antichrist....not an antichrist, but The Antichrist of Revelation.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I do know Preterists who believe some things that I think are crazy, but that is true of every label you can come up with.

Those I knew were all over the map with differing beliefs, so no surprise. I caught one after our Bible study passing out pamphlets telling people to leave their church if their pastor didn't teach that Thomas Jefferson was The Antichrist....not an antichrist, but The Antichrist of Revelation.

Is this the man of lawlessness from 2 Thess 2?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Revelation was written for the benefit of the Christians of the period who suffered under the Romans, to give them hope....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hoosier_Beagler
I ain’t gettin’ too hung up on the timeline. The preterist view does make sense to me.
This is what Paul taught about the Preterest view. " Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."
2Timothy 2:18
He called it profane and vain babblings.
Was Paul referring specifically to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, which is clearly specifically what I was referring to regarding the preterist view…? Or was Paul referring to something completely different than that…?
Yes, double fulfillment is common in Bible prophecy.
From Paul’s specific reference above, it seems he was clearly specifically referring to something other than the pending destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, both of which absolutely and unequivocally happened just as Jesus predicted it would.

2 Timothy 2:18 refers to the coming (not past because it hasn’t happened yet) rapture or resurrection of the church. The whole book of 2 Timothy is about the endurance of the church.

Hymenaeus and Philetus committed apostasy by preaching the resurrection of the church had already occurred. It hasn’t, according to God’s Word. Scripture says a Christian will be bodily raised from the dead, just like Jesus.
Romans 6:1-11, Phil 3:20-21, and 1 Corinthians 15

Hymenaeus and Philetus rejected the resurrection of Jesus by denying the resurrection of the church and teaching the resurrection of the church had already taken place. It hasn’t.

2 Timothy 2:17-18 is an example of preterism, a false doctrine and heresy still being taught even today.

“Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to Him, we ask you, brothers, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come. Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshipped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.” 2 Thess 2:1-4

Preterists are STILL deceived, and their resurrection theology/heresy continues to overthrow the faith of people.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin

I am preterist and it was a bodily resurrection............... so that shoots that one down!

It's good to know that about you. We can disagree about the end times prophesies, (or past if that's how you see it), but far more important we can agree on the substitutionary death and bodily resurrection of Christ.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
I ain’t gettin’ too hung up on the timeline. The preterist view does make sense to me.
This is what Paul taught about the Preterest view. " Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some."
Was Paul referring specifically to the destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, which is clearly specifically what I was referring to regarding the preterist view…? Or was Paul referring to something completely different than that…?
From Paul’s specific reference above, it seems he was clearly specifically referring to something other than the pending destruction of Jerusalem and the Jewish Temple, both of which absolutely and unequivocally happened just as Jesus predicted it would.

2 Timothy 2:18 refers to the coming (not past because it hasn’t happened yet) rapture or resurrection of the church. The whole book of 2 Timothy is about the endurance of the church.

Hymenaeus and Philetus committed apostasy by preaching the resurrection of the church had already occurred. It hasn’t, according to God’s Word. Scripture says a Christian will be bodily raised from the dead, just like Jesus.

Hymenaeus and Philetus rejected the resurrection of Jesus by denying the resurrection of the church and teaching the resurrection of the church had already taken place. It hasn’t.

2 Timothy 2:17-18 is an example of preterism, a false doctrine and heresy still being taught even today.

“Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to Him, we ask you, brothers, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come. Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshipped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.” 2 Thess 2:1-4

Preterists are STILL deceived, and their resurrection theology/heresy continues to overthrow the faith of people.

Another interesting reference to 2 Thess:

The man of lawlessness 'sets himself up in the TEMPLE of GOD!?!?!?!

The church is the Temple, WE are the Temple.....

How does a Lawless one enter the Temple of GOD...

Under the Old Law, a lawless one could do that, and did.............. but not today.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hymenaeus and Philetus rejected the resurrection of Jesus by denying the resurrection of the church and teaching the resurrection of the church had already taken place.
That accusation seems to be quite a reach. If they believed that the resurrection or rapture of the church had already taken place…that’s still a loooong way off from rejecting the resurrection of Jesus. Some preterists here have clearly and eloquently stated that they believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus. To assert that someone rejects the resurrection of Jesus simply because their theology of the timeline of the resurrection or rapture of the church doesn’t line up with yours seems to be more than a little bit of a reach…!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by DBT
Revelation was written for the benefit of the Christians of the period who suffered under the Romans, to give them hope....

... and continues to give hope to the church in these last days. Likewise, Chronicles was written for the benefit of the exiles returning from the Babylonian captivity to give them hope and continues to give hope to the church in these last days.

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun. (Eccl 1:9)

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. (2 Tm 3:16)

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Jesus is the Word. The Word is Jesus. Revelations is the Word of Christ. Where is the 3rd Temple?

There is yet to be a 3rd temple built in Jerusalem where the Antichrist will reign for a while.

Just read Revelation.

Believe all of the Bible or none.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Revelation is the revelation of who Christ is.doctrine in pictures. Not to be taken literal imho.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

In 1 Cor 15 the resurrection described by Paul is NOT like that of JESUS. Paul starts by supposing a question: 'some will ask what kind of body will we have?' He starts the answer with 'YOU FOOL' - maybe it's not that simple. He goes on and even HE cannot fully explain it. What he describes, though, is not at all like the resurrection of JESUS. What comes out of the ground is clearly not the same thing that went in...... for us anyway!

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[quote=jaguartx]Jesus is the Word. The Word is Jesus. Revelations is the Word of Christ. Where is the 3rd Temple?
There is yet to be a 3rd temple built in Jerusalem where the Antichrist will reign for a while. {quote}

There is a 3rd temple on Temple Mount. The Dome of the Rock.

Last edited by Hastings; 03/01/22.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The church is the 3rd temple.............

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

This would seem to indicate that the anti-Christ comes out of the church, maybe one of the megachurch preachers or a pope. A pope would be in a position to yield tremendous power since he already has a billion followers and a good many of them will believe anything he says.
This falling away is underway now. There's a major split in the church with scripture believing people on one side and liberal gay marriage/abortion types on the other. The laws favor the liberal churches and I expect that when it's over, the true Jesus believing church will be underground, just like the early church under Rome.
While the tribulation will be world wide, the Bible indicates that the territory within the ancient Roman empire will be the center of events. That's a good share of Europe with power coming from Rome (or maybe the Vatican?).

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you, 2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come. 3 Let no one deceive you by any means; for that Day will not come unless the falling away comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition,

This would seem to indicate that the anti-Christ comes out of the church, maybe one of the megachurch preachers or a pope. A pope would be in a position to yield tremendous power since he already has a billion followers and a good many of them will believe anything he says.

But doesn't it seem that the Thessalonians knew who it was?? They knew what was 'restraining' him from appearing.

( . Y . )
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They knew who it was because Paul had told them. Many think it means that the Holy Spirit will be withdrawn but Jesus promised us that he would be with us always. The thing that Paul didn't dare name publicly was the Roman empire. If the early church openly said that Rome was going to fall, Rome would have unleashed hell on them. Look what happened about 400 years later after Rome did fall. The church was now legal and growing very powerful. To cement it's power, it created one of the most evil things ever invented by evil men - the Inquisition. People lived and died under it clear into the 1800's. Then came the Protestant version of it, the Church of England. They devised methods of torture and murder equally as brutal as the Inquisition. Many of the wars across Europe for the next few centuries would be between them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They knew who it was because Paul had told them. Many think it means that the Holy Spirit will be withdrawn but Jesus promised us that he would be with us always. The thing that Paul didn't dare name publicly was the Roman empire. If the early church openly said that Rome was going to fall, Rome would have unleashed hell on them. Look what happened about 400 years later after Rome did fall. The church was now legal and growing very powerful. To cement it's power, it created one of the most evil things ever invented by evil men - the Inquisition. People lived and died under it clear into the 1800's. Then came the Protestant version of it, the Church of England. They devised methods of torture and murder equally as brutal as the Inquisition. Many of the wars across Europe for the next few centuries would be between them.

just because men called it 'the church' doesn't mean that it was 'the church'................

I simply cannot abide the thought of the level of evil that you describe as 'residing in the temple of GOD' ..... it/they could and did in the old temple, but the new temple is a spiritual place not a physical one, and it is impossible for evil to reside there, or take its/his seat there.............

IMHO

I agree with you that Paul did not 'name names' for Rome would have viewed that as blasphemy against Caesar, which they viewed as deity, one of which did take his seat in the old temple...... had his 'likeness' displayed to be honored or worshipped..............

Last edited by Muffin; 03/01/22.

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
People talk about "the last days".

The NT clearly tells us that those believers were living in the last days....it was even referred to as the last hour. Read your bible without your "I already know what it says" glasses on.

The last days of what?

Not the earth or humanity. The last days of the Mosaic Covenant. The scaffold was being torn down, because the last Temple was raised. The body of believers in Yeshua the Messiah.

It really is that simple.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,893 guests, and 1,047 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.