Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have a child graduating high school this year. The school has informed us that the government now requires extra financial paperwork from parents for the child to receive the diploma they’ve earned.

Things the government is demanding before my child receives his well earned diploma: declared value of my investments outside of home, total of my checking, my savings and my cash on hand; and amount of tax deferred retirement I deposited last year.

I’m told that if I refuse their demand either he doesn’t graduate or I can’t claim his as a dependent any longer.

They know what I make because I’m taxed on it. Now they want to know what I’ve saved so they can penalize me further??? Idiocy.

Good news is the kids of slugs who don’t work and don’t save will get the financial aid my son doesn’t qualify for.

This is insanity.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
That doesn't sound right.
Sure you have to do the FASFA if applying for college financial aid, but it's not a graduation requirement, at least not in this state, and doesn't determine dependency status for tax purposes.
I think you need to contact an attorney.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/28/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Way too much over reach. What if you give them phony numbers?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Never heard of this!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Boy, somebody got something wrong. Tell them to fugg off, it ain't none of their business?

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Wow. I've never heard of anything like that.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
SPAM in disguise?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I couldn’t find anything like that.

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I haven’t been home to verify all of it. One reason I posted here. I wanted to hear the experience of others.

What I posted is what I have been told.

I told my son to explain we wouldn’t be asking for financial aid. He was told it is a requirement now to receive the diploma even if a child isn’t going on to college.

I’ll do my research. But what I posted is what has been conveyed. I double checked with the wife before posting here.

I certainly hope we’ve heard wrong.

Thanks for replies.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Actually, it is a requirement in Alabama, but you can get out of it by completing a waiver

https://formyourfuture.org/2021/08/03/3-more-states-add-fafsa-completion-as-a-requirement-for-high-school-graduation/#:~:text=In%20an%20apparent%20resurgence%20to,a%20high%20school%20graduation%20requirement.

Alabama
In April, Alabama’s state board of education approved the adoption of mandatory FAFSA to take effect for the high school graduating class of 2022. Notably, this is a short timeline for the state to ask districts to implement, as other states have provided at least one year before their policies would take effect.

According to reports, the state board assures that the ability for a student to opt out and graduate is simple, though it will require completion of a waiver form. With support from state leaders, including Governor Kay Ivey, the policy is intended to help the state reach its goals for postsecondary attainment and workforce development.

Some individuals have raised concerns about the state ensuring students have the support they need to complete the FAFSA. Alabama Possible, an NCAN member, celebrated the policy’s enactment but has publicly called for the state to provide what is necessary for it to be successful.

Chandra Scott, executive director of Alabama Possible, wrote that “funding must follow this critical new policy to make sure that schools can provide the needed supports to students and families to make sure that those who will benefit most will be able to fulfill the graduation requirement and complete the FAFSA.”

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lawyer up.

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
antelope sniper,

Thanks for verifying I’m not crazy. I appreciate the info.

I took a risk of looking like an idiot posting this. But it was so insane when my son told me about it, I thought it had to be an overzealous teacher or counselor. Then my wife called and read me a couple of the questions.

We’re blessed. We don’t qualify for their help and don’t ask. They should just leave honest folks alone.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Send ‘em pair of gloves and tell them to POUND SAND!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DugE: I am torn between outright NOT believing your outlandish contention at all - and giving you my standard lecture on YOU being more careful who you vote into office and onto the school board?!?!
If I were to put aside my astonishment and try to believe your outlandish scenario - well then if I were you I would tell the "school" tofuck directly off - and I would tell the school tofuck directly off directly into theirfuckin faces!
Apparently there are too many, WAY TOO MANY, liberals in Alabama?
What next?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And if said "Child" is 18, fugg them even more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds more like extreme government reacharound.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Fill out a NUNYA form.

D
DugE Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
VarmintGuy,

I normally would take exception to someone stating their difficulty with believing me, except I wasn’t sure I believed me. It’s not my outlandish claim. It’s apparently the ridiculous reality of 3 states.

IDK how this one slipped by us. When I read that there are only 3 states doing this and AL is one of them with CA and CO, it is like a joke.

I probably should’ve just stayed quiet and handled my business as usual. This was so insane I thought I’d ask some guys here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'd go to the next PTA meeting and see what the other parents think.

I think it's BS. Your kid spent 12 years of their life in school, got good enough grades to pass the curriculum, and now, NOW the school says you have to inform them of your finances to graduate? That's none of their GD business, no matter their reasons to want to know.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Cute .. Clever Cockroaches always Cum’n up with new spin on Data Collection..
Somewhere there’s a Directive about being secure in ones personal papers..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 338reddog, 2UP, 35, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,509 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,584
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.