-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Stumbled onto yet another TC Renegade yesterday at my LGS, a .50. This one had been futzed with a bit, a set of brass Hawken swivels installed, but was otherwise in pretty good shape and with a nice bore. Been looking at them online and even pretty crappy ones are as much as this was. Started tearing it down to remove the grunge and oil the lock, and ordered a Williams WGOS that will allow me to install a aperture blade so Grandpa can see the sights. It’s factory drilled for the Hunting Tang Sight, so if I happen on one of those for less than an arm and a leg I’ll switch. I already have a Skinner brass front sight in hand.

I think this is my fourth one. I keep buying them, getting them setup the way I like ‘em and then sending them on to new homes. This one will stick, I think. My son killed two nice VA bucks less than a week apart with the first one.

They must have bought someone’s estate as they had several other nice TCs, including a Hawken flinter with the Target sight, a scoped White Mountain Carbine, and a New Englander.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Congratulations on the new rifle, I’ve had a renegade 54 for over 20 years and it’s my favorite gun. I’ve been keeping my eye open fora flint gun but I never see them for sale here, better go back and snag it up.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That Hawken flinter was a couple hundred more, and I’ve been pretty spendy lately, so it’ll have to wait. Buying the Renegade distracted me from a Pedersoli Hawken I was ogling that was 3x the price.

BTW, Pedersoli is now making the Lyman Great Plains rifles and pics seem to show it’s been cleaned up a bunch over the older ones. Has a V-spring lock now too. All I’ve seen have been tagged with the Pedersoli name and come in a lot lower than their own Hawkens.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have several renegades, one .50 is still unfired. Think I have 9 .. maybe 10 total old TC’s now, and my favorites will probably always be the Hawkens.. especially the .45

Congrats on grabbing another one!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the Renegades. I have one in .54 with a 32" Green Mtn RB barrel. But I need a bit more drop in the stock, so I don't shoot it much.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Today I finished tearing this one down and checking the internals and oiling the lock. Everything is in good order with only a few loose screws, and only a touch of rust on a couple of screw heads. I’ve installed a Skinner brass blade on the front and have the barrel peep on order. Installed a Mag Spark primer ignition to begin with, and also have the #11 and musket nipples on hand. Should be able to use any powder I have or can find. The dealer I bought it from had RWS #11s, one tin to a customer, and I already have a pile of good musket caps.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Congrats on the Renegade!

I just picked up a Lyman Great Plains Rifle 50 cal.made in the 90's when they had walnut stocks and made with some pride, it's all but perfect,bore is pristine,walnut stock is awesome, I did all the trim in brush silver.

Attached Images
muzzel bench.jpg (18.68 KB, 176 downloads)
MUZZLE LOADER 2.jpg (21.04 KB, 176 downloads)
muzzel butt.jpg (38.81 KB, 172 downloads)
brush silver 2.jpg (32.48 KB, 162 downloads)
brush silver.jpg (26.5 KB, 162 downloads)
Last edited by Mossyoak1957; 03/05/22.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice antiquing job!

The new ones made by Pedersoli are nice too, and for most of a grand they should be!

Is yours a 1-66 or the Hunter fast-twist model? Met a guy at the range 20-some years ago with a whole setup of flint and percussion versions with extra barrels. He was shooting heavy Lyman .45 cast slugs in sabots, and doing very nicely with them too.

My peep setup is back-ordered, so I may have to take matters into my own hands and make one from the factory sight. Probably have an extra one laying around.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks
No mine is not the hunter.
I have the slower twist barrel from what I have read the slower twist does better with round balls and the hunter is good with conical bullets or both.
I didn't care for the fiber optic sight on the hunter just doesn't look right on a traditional muzzleloader,where I found mine he does have a nice used hunter model but it was over $800.00 mine was bad enough at $600.00.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.