24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don’t see that many Winchester 92’s lately and I’ve yet to see one with an octagon barrel on any of the westerns yet I know that they made them that way. Was there any advantage in an octagon barrel over a round one?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
BP-B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The octagon barrel presents an aura of earlier eras. To my mind, something of a contradiction for many in the model 92 Win as 'otherwise', a slim, trim easily handling/pointing lightweight rifle. Such simply not commensurate with the beefier octagons. Needing to say this is my impression and reasoning. Conversely, the least popular also a century later amounting to spectrum 'from less common to rare'! Such in collector parlance. I've always been about "the package" I find personally more attractive. Though I woundn't walk away from a super deal, I wouldn't seek out a '92 with octagon barrel as first choice. Same even with 1886, though I do know likely my view considerably minority. My only octagon specimen is a Marlin Model 1973. An overrun of their Zane Grey commemorative , target of opportunity, "tapered" octagon barrel.
Check out the Win Model 53 too!

You pays your money & you takes your choice!
Just a personal... My take
Best!
John

Last edited by iskra; 03/02/22.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IIRC in 1894's the ratio was 9 octagonal per 1 round barrel for their rifle models. I assume the ratio for other models was close in comparison.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Biggest determining factor to value is condition. That said, if you have two model 92's of exact same condition, one a rifle the other a carbine, then yes the octagon {rifle} is generally worth a little more as there were fewer rifle versions of the 92 made. It is also more rare in a 92 as most were carbines. Also have to consider who is buying and what they want. While they definitely made more carbines, they seem to be the guns most used and are therefore way more difficult to find in really nice condition. While fewer of the rifles with the longer octagon barrel and crescent buttplate were made, it is usually easier to find a nicer one of those as they were bought for a hunting rifle and treated gentler than a saddle carbine carried and typically used as a tool.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A lot of good advice here, and to further the conversation, I think the Value of an Octagon Barrel over a Round Barrel, is subject to each individual, collector, or Hunter. IMO!
The numbers have been skewed over the years,for Oct. vs. round Barrel's, as more and more research has been done, by Winchester Collectors, as their is currently a Survey going on, by WACA ,
Collectors, on Various Models, including the Model 1892/92 Winchester!
I would love to see this question posted on the WACA Forum.
HS58

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I never thought about the difference in a rifle being rare and collectable verses one being more desirable because it was lighter and handier. My 92 was step-dad’s fathers .25-20 with a octagon barrel. Muzzle heavy for a mini cartridge and I could never figure out what to shoot with it? It is a 1907 from the Cody letter that they sent me, but they couldn’t tell me anything else about the rifle. I’ve probably spent $75.00 other places and got less return on an investment, but that letter comes to mind as an example.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A Cody Museum Letter is a great document to posses for your Firearm if you choose so. As I also Choose to, and have had, and still have Many.
Especially for the Collectable Firearms.
Don't Discount the Valuable knowledge the WACA Members provide the Cody Museum share, as the two work Hand in Hand together,
to provide the utmost information available to All!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
The Red Book of Winchester Values, which is produced by two WACA members, gives values for the model 1892 with round barrels. It states to add 10% for octagon barrels.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Levers
The Red Book of Winchester Values, which is produced by two WACA members, gives values for the model 1892 with round barrels. It states to add 10% for octagon barrels.

Good Point!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
I never thought about the difference in a rifle being rare and collectable verses one being more desirable because it was lighter and handier. My 92 was step-dad’s fathers .25-20 with a octagon barrel. Muzzle heavy for a mini cartridge and I could never figure out what to shoot with it? It is a 1907 from the Cody letter that they sent me, but they couldn’t tell me anything else about the rifle. I’ve probably spent $75.00 other places and got less return on an investment, but that letter comes to mind as an example.

What to shoot with it? James Jordan shot the world's record whitetail buck with a model 92 Winchester in 25.20, back in 1914. It worked for him.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58

Good Point!

Unfortunately Larry Shennum isn't with us any more.
Regardless you bring up valuable pointers, mainly among Collectors.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It worked albeit badly. If Jim hadn’t broken that buck’s back after multiple shots there likely wouldn’t have been a Jordan Buck.

I think that Deer and Deer Hunting magazine it was ran the story of the Jordan Buck years ago that was an interesting read. Those guys were subsistence level hunters back in those days and Jim didn’t even realize what he had with that set of antlers. A taxidermist out of Minnesota did and he swiped the rack. Luckily Jim had an old photograph of the buck that proved it was his and he finally got the credit for having shot the deer. It was recognized as the world record whitetail for years until Milo Hanson, a farmer in Saskatchewan, beat it in the 1993.

My other auto is a .45

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I didn't realize that, as I have a couple nice prints of both of those bucks in my Hunting Den.
I won them at a Whit Tails Unlimited Dinner yrs. ago.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

What to shoot with a 92 WIN? That would depend on the chambering. Mine is he 25-20 so gophers & jack rabbits were the main targets. One rural mail carrier

killed winter jack rabbits along his route and made a very good take as they were worth from .50 to $1.00 each for the skins and mink food.

But that was a different time. Now a 22 mag or a 17 would be used.

Mine is shot with mostly cast and is a hoot to shoot at the local range.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

That's the first place I look.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

All things being equal the octagon barrel gun is worth more than the round barrel gun

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.