Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Last year I used the Kuiu Axis gloves and was so pleased with how they performed 6 of the younger generations of hunters in my family got them for Christmas presents, on sale of course.

The one really cold day I used merino liners and they were perfectly comfortable. I have their warmer, fancier guide gloves but they never got used. Simple & comfortable in a wide range of temperatures they replaced my typical leather driving gloves & Cabelas goretex that I’ve used for years. They were my best gear improvement last year by fat.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I always wear a pair of these regardless of temp, they are light and cause me no problem with dexterity:

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis...3j4uq9gIVOx-tBh016wflEAQYASABEgKHC_D_BwE

When riding an atv or tractor, I wear a cheap pair of lined leather mitts as was mentioned above. They are great.

When on a stand and hunting in cold weather I wear a pair of fleece glomitts over the light merino gloves. Easy to slip fingers through and shoot/whatever. If it's REALLY cold I put a handwarmer in the glowmitt. For me, a glove is never as warm as a mitt.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to all for submitting cold weather gloves that work for you. Currently I have a menagerie of cold weather gloves that work for me in cool to below zero cold. You could say one size does not fit all conditions. On the move in brush, thickets and downfalls I like a deerskin glove and my favorite all around glove and particularly like the grip it gives me on a shotgun and rifle. When more insulation is needed I go with a split cowhide leather glove insulated with 100 grs of Thinsulate. (Why not deerskin? Cheaper found at the local farm store). If more insulation is needed I turn to military surplus trigger finger gloves. I treated the trigger finger with a couple coats of Fiebings leather balm to give it more dexterity.

In open country or on stand if I need hand insulation I start with Mechanix Utility (leather trim). Colder weather I turn to Gates glove with 100 grs Thinsulate. Really cold I put on the Military surplus trigger finger gloves
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by roundoak; 03/03/22.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Oversized mittens with liner gloves, can drop mittens for quick action as needed. Works hunting and ice fishing for me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A muff and the lighter jersey gloves or thin woven gloves that I can still feel the trigger with have worked the best for me. And time permitting, I can still unobtrusively remove my right hand trigger finger glove with my left hand inside the muff. A Hot Hands chemical warmer inside that muff helps if it gets really cold. Hunting is one thing and other cold weather activities require different gloves like my sheep skin lined choppers if I don't need much dexterity. Being in better shape with better circulation helps a lot too. Your body will reduce the blood flow to your extremities first to keep your core warm, so it isn't just your hands that need insulation, it's your whole body and head. Also your left non-trigger hand that doesn't need the dexterity can have a heavier glove than your trigger hand that could be in a hand warmer pocket on your jacket.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dntnddb
Oversized mittens with liner gloves, can drop mittens for quick action as needed. Works hunting and ice fishing for me.

yep chopper mits with liners hand warmers or as suggested glove liners in a muff with hand warmers

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was really hoping that I was the only one who hadn’t stumbled onto glove nirvana - I guess gloves are like golf clubs after all.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Want to become rich….sole that problem!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If you fellers are referring to the ubiquitous brown jersey gloves, I find cotton gloves to be damn near as bad as no gloves in Winter. If the get wet, and they will, they will never dry or keep you warm until you get home.

I gave up on them as chore gloves decades ago.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ironbender
If you fellers are referring to the ubiquitous brown jersey gloves, I find cotton gloves to be damn near as bad as no gloves in Winter. If the get wet, and they will, they will never dry or keep you warm until you get home.

I agree

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mibowhunter

I agree

I learned to hate those brown jersey gloves as a kid and haven't wore them since then. They seem to attract water. You might as well wrap your hands in paper towels.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have arthritis in my hands, so when hunting I wear a light glove, like the Tommy Copper, or Head, most all of the time. One reason is to keep the sweat off the metal and from the 40's down to give me some relief from the joint pain. Rally cold I go to wool mittens with liners or just a heavy mittens with a hole for the trigger finger.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by cwh2

95% of the time, I'm wearing a generic pair of insulated leather gloves with fleece backs that I get for $5-7 locally. Found a link: https://www.aih.com/Catalog/Safety-...rk-Gloves/MJC-Fleece-And-Deerkskin-Glove
I don't cry if they get lost/ruined, and they work pretty well down to -10 or so on a snowmachine or when active. The only ones I could find were 2XL, and I normally wear XL. The larger size helps them rip off easier if needed. I generally don't shoot with gloves.

That seems like a lot of glove for the $$$$. And I like the idea of the entire back of the glove being game for snot wiping. laugh
Gonna give a pair a whirl.

They are nothing special, but they are cheap. I rotate as bender mentioned. And I can vouch for the snot wiping ability. If you buy from aih, tell them you work for an oil company and save even more. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Me as well. I bought my last pair about 30 years ago. I remember wearing them as a kid and my hands being wet and cool most of the time. I couldnt keep them dry.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Feet and hands are IMO the 2 most difficult parts of the body to offer suggestions for. What one guy freezes in, the next guy sweats wet from the inside. Then of course one also has to define what/when/where said clothing will be used. Then of course there's "fit". Some folks want all gloves to fit/feel like a tight set of European driving gloves so they get great feel. That's fine, but, without some dead-air space, you'll not ever get much insulative value no matter how bulky the glove may be. The gloves I'd wear to spot and stalk are significantly different than what I might wear sitting for hours in an ambush location or up in a tree-stand. That being said:

"Active Glove Nirvana", not sure if I've found it, but Hestra Ergo Grip Active is getting pretty darned close. WindProof Gore-Tex Infinium stretchy back and extremely tactile leather face. How tactile you ask? As I was writing this response, I just put them on and I can pick up a quarter off my desk. I don't mean sliding it to the edge, I mean I pinned it with my index finger, slipped my thumbnail under the quarter and picked it up. I can "still hunt", spot and stalk, or bird hunt behind the dog with these as cold as I want to be out, as long as I'm moving a bit, they'll keep my hands comfortable.

Active Glove Nirvana

A much more budget-friendly option that's "almost" as good are by Manzella, they're made for archery hunting and have a little longer gauntlet. Mine are several years old, they're wind-proof and the trigger finger from the 2nd knuckle to the tip is spandex and allows for excellent feel of a trigger wether it's a rifle, shotgun, handgun, or bow-release. I think they make a newer model w/Gore Infinium now that's ~$40 @ regular price.

For more stationary pursuits I go straight to "Glommits". Simms made a great one that was wind-proof, had high-pile lining on the back, a pretty thin palm/face, and a pocket in the fingertips for a chemical heater. I typically pair them with a thin merino liner. The Kuiu liner would be a good choice too. A buddy bought me a set of the Kuiu liner gloves and used appropriately they add a LOT of warmth for very little bulk. Simms doesn't make the high-pile lined gloves/glommits anymore and have instead moved to Primaloft (synthetic down) and Gore-Tex infinium rather than their previous proprietary windstopping material. They're still called the Simms "Ex-Stream".

Again, Manzella also has a more budget friendly option that's almost as good. They make a wind-proof fleece glommit with a chem-heater pocket in the fingertips that's ~$30-40.

I LOATHE "tight" gloves. My hands typically measure out to "XL" or size 10 in sized gloves. I almost always opt for 2XL or 11 so long as they're not "sloppy" or the fingers aren't too long and folding over. IMO, that upsizing allows me to get by with far less bulk than what I could with a tight fitting glove.

The search for "The Perfect Glove" is (or has been for me) far worse than the search for "The Perfect Pocket/EDC" knife.

Last edited by horse1; 03/05/22.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by cwh2

95% of the time, I'm wearing a generic pair of insulated leather gloves with fleece backs that I get for $5-7 locally. Found a link: https://www.aih.com/Catalog/Safety-...rk-Gloves/MJC-Fleece-And-Deerkskin-Glove
I don't cry if they get lost/ruined, and they work pretty well down to -10 or so on a snowmachine or when active. The only ones I could find were 2XL, and I normally wear XL. The larger size helps them rip off easier if needed. I generally don't shoot with gloves.

That seems like a lot of glove for the $$$$. And I like the idea of the entire back of the glove being game for snot wiping. laugh
Gonna give a pair a whirl.

I received a pair today. XL whoa doggies, very tight fit. May give them to the neighbor's 14 year old son.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bummer. I can probably trade you a pair of 2xl if you need them. I've never seen xl in stock

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 12 invisible), 1,692 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.