Print Thread
Hop To
J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
New to trapping and need some advice on setting up trap, bait etc to catch bobcats? Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited by JHM75; 02/18/22.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just finished year one of "jaw" trapping. Using Bridger dog less #2 traps. Caught a 23 lb Tom bobcat on day 3 of my first cubby set.

Basically I found a transition area between two fields with some rabbit type habitat and made a set. I had pics of cats over a couple years from game cameras for deer.

A "cubby" set is made of old logs, stumps, piled up brush etc. Looks like a hiding place for an animal. You narrow it down in the back, like a funnel, and place bait in the back. I used a skinned rabbit hide with head attached and bedded trap back some. I may have went overboard, but I made it like a cave where the cat couldn't get to the bait any other way. You can "guide" cats, not so much for coyotes.

Go to You Tube. There are hundreds of videos. Take what you like from each and get after it. You will hear "set on sign" so knowing where cats have been seen is a big advantage. Also some type of flagging, hung at your set will help get them near your trap. Cats are visual hunters.

I had a blast this year and I'm hooked now. Started this year with 3 traps, just went and bought 9 more. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Cats travel a big range and may come thru once every 3 to 10 days.

J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the advice. I’ve had pretty good luck with trapping coon and otters but have struck out on bobcats, I have some setups that I am going to try for them, hopefully I’ll find one they like. Thanks again!

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'd echo much of the same advice already stated with some additions. Find sign and set on it. look for edge and transitions, with habitat for prey. Brushy fence lines, ravines and so on. Cats are visual but do not underestimate the importance of scents at your set. I use multiple commercially made lures at each set to keep their curiosity up. be sure your thermals are drifting your scent to the cat.

Let me know if you have any questions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you Hendricks for the tips, I now have some places on my property I want to set up some traps. Hopefully one of them will pay off. I appreciate all the help.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Notice the feather "eye catcher" in the photo above. That's an important part of the set.

J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thank you for the info, I am anxious to get some traps out this weekend!

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
If you're in a sandy area, pay close attention to berms along waterways or canals. A lot of times bobcats like to make their "toilets" here, much like a house cat uses a litter box. If you can find a bobcat toilet, make sure you set near by.

J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks, I will look for what you described!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I did a radio telemetry study on Bobcats in the early 80's as my dissertation for my MS degree in Wildlife Biology from Clemson University. I caught 21 Bobcats in a 14 month period and placed radio telemetry collars on 12 cats. Here is the most successful technique I used. First, find the paths they walk. They love the transition zones....dirt roads/power lines, fields/hardwood stands, forks in dirt/gravel roads, etc. Find a scat depository near these transition zones and you have a gold mine. Use #2 coil spring leghold traps. Attach these to a drag..a sapling 6' long, 1.5-2" in dia with a lot of side branches. Attach trap approx 2' from top end with braided, coated wire. Dig your set against a bank or log at least 10-14" high. Take your trowel in the bottom V of this bank, dig a 4" hole and place a piece of bait(I used deer meat). Dig a hole large enough to sink your #2leghole placeing the dirt in a sieve box. File your trigger on the trap for a supper quit release as cats are quick(caught several on single digits ). Shake the dirt from your sieve box to completely cover the trap. Shake the excess in front of trap to look like a dig burying food. Place a side stick 1/2 dia or so on each side of trap from bank to corner of trap. Place another stick on ground parallel to bank touching the bottom of side sticks. Cat will step over this stick in between the side stick right in middle of trap. Buy some Bobcat Urine. Dip a dried pcs of ragweed into bottle and place on bank above trap. Urine draws them, bait keeps their attention, sticks guide them into your trap, drag allows them to run a bit for cover(never more than a few yards with a lot of side limbs).
Kind of wordy but I hope it helps.
Mickey

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As a side note..if you catch a raccoon, fox, skunk or possum first, keep setting trap as this adds to its versatility!

J
JHM75 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the info Bobcat! I really appreciate all the help from you guys on here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

379 members (1Longbow, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 39 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 972 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,062
Posts18,463,364
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.