Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I like Burris but here is a pretty good option. Tract has a ballistics program that will allow you to work your holdovers easily.

https://tractoptics.com/all-products/22-fire-3-9x40-bdc-rimfire-rifle-scope

Thanks for putting that up. I looked at the 4-12x40 Tract rimfire scope but passed due to the 75 yard parallax. Just noticed the 3-9x40 Tract rimfire has a 50 yard parallax so I'm thinking this will be my next rimfire optic!

Don't get too hung up on parallax. When you plug data into a parallax calculator to get maximum parallax error, you'll see that it's of little consequence to anyone other than a serious or competition target shooter. You have to assume a horrible position to induce maximum parallax, so most of the time your error would be less than that shown on the table. For your stated purposes, the 75 yard fixed parallax would serve you better than 50. In fact, a fixed 150 yard parallax would serve you better than a fixed 50 once you start stretching things out.

https://www.lelandwest.com/parallax-error-calculator.cfm

I have the 4X12 on my 22 mag and it is an excellent scope inmy humble experience

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I damn sure wouldn't underestimate the V16 4-16. It's a great scope and can easily handle 200 yards. The only thing I wouldn't like is its not a scope you can readily dial. Lets get real here guys. Its a damn 22lr. A rimfire specific scope like the Bushnell rimfire 6-18x40 with the 22lr turret would work just fine for the op's needs. The turret is calibrated for CCI mini mag ammo or similar at or around 1,260 fps. No need to make it complicated. The op isn't silhouette shooting rabbits at 600 yards or competing in PRS..

Weaver V16 4-16 discontinued as well. There is that.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let's get this out of the way. Are we assuming the AO or focus ring on scopes is a different animal than the parallax adjustment or does it serve the same purpose?

One of the most important considerations in a rimfire scope is the fact you need to focus down to shorter distances than most centerfire scopes require. 50 yards is acceptable, but 25 is sometimes even more useful, where as most centerfire scopes will struggle to focus clearly below 75-100 yards with their parallax set for 125-150 yards. Now that there are plenty of rimfire scopes available for every purpose, this shouldn't be an obstacle to finding a good rimfire scope these days. The 4-12 Leupold is just about the optimum scope for rimfire hunting purposes- as long as it has an AO or focus knob for the shorter distances a hunting rimfire is used for IMO.... but there are lots of other great choices also.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Sheister
Let's get this out of the way. Are we assuming the AO or focus ring on scopes is a different animal than the parallax adjustment or does it serve the same purpose?

One of the most important considerations in a rimfire scope is the fact you need to focus down to shorter distances than most centerfire scopes require. 50 yards is acceptable, but 25 is sometimes even more useful, where as most centerfire scopes will struggle to focus clearly below 75-100 yards with their parallax set for 125-150 yards. Now that there are plenty of rimfire scopes available for every purpose, this shouldn't be an obstacle to finding a good rimfire scope these days. The 4-12 Leupold is just about the optimum scope for rimfire hunting purposes- as long as it has an AO or focus knob for the shorter distances a hunting rimfire is used for IMO.... but there are lots of other great choices also.

Bob

Which is even more mental masturbation. As Nike would say, JUST SHOOT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Bob

Bob, I won't argue with you, I'll simply say that your observations are different from mine. I just took 2 AO scopes, one adjustable down to 10 yards and another down to 25. One with a 50 mm objective and the other with a 40. I compared them with a fixed objective (100 or 150) at all powers from 4-9. None would focus on anything at 5 feet. At 10 feet, I could make a shot on a squirrel, but it would be fuzzy. At 15 feet it would be come more clear. At 20 feet, I could easily make out details on a squirrel, then at about 25 feet the picture started becoming sharp with all of the scopes.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 02/28/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
These two tables show why I say that for a casual shooter or small game hunter, there's no reason to worry about parallax. These two tables show maximum parallax error for a scope with a 40mm objective. The first one is a "big game" scope with a parallax set at 150 yards. The second one is a "rimfire" scope set at 50 yards. You have to get really out of shape in cheek weld and sight alignment to induce maximum error, so in reality, you are likely only dealing with 1/2 the values shown. Remind me again why a hunter needs a "rimfire" or AO scope?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Is not the error as much as nothing is in focus at close range

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I addressed that in the previous post.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
These two tables show why I say that for a casual shooter or small game hunter, there's no reason to worry about parallax. These two tables show maximum parallax error for a scope with a 40mm objective. The first one is a "big game" scope with a parallax set at 150 yards. The second one is a "rimfire" scope set at 50 yards. You have to get really out of shape in cheek weld and sight alignment to induce maximum error, so in reality, you are likely only dealing with 1/2 the values shown. Remind me again why a hunter needs a "rimfire" or AO scope?

Probably because a 7 MOA error is to much when compared to 0....but say you cut it in 1/2.....3.5 MOA is still more than 0.

Do you know what power the scopes were set at for those tables?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Probably because a 7 MOA error is to much when compared to 0....but say you cut it in 1/2.....3.5 MOA is still more than 0.

The calculator didn't ask for magnification level. What hunting situation would that .5 inches make a difference in? Half inch either side of center mass squirrel head still equals dead squirrel.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Bob

Goddammit.

I'm going to have to go back and un-shoot a lot of shi.t inside 50 yards. And 30 yards. And 15 yards. Centerfire and rimfire both. Fu.ckin' A anyway.

Last edited by hillestadj; 02/28/22.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Lots of good info here guys!

NE Oklahoma
Love all things outside and enjoy cooking.Married with 3 kids
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

The calculator didn't ask for magnification level. What hunting situation would that .5 inches make a difference in? Half inch either side of center mass squirrel head still equals dead squirrel.

Your example of a squirrel's head is a situation where .5" could make a difference. It's extra error added on top of a person's error of hold. Couple that with any movement from the squirrel or wind and things compound. A person can certainly get by without it for hunting.......but why purposely introduce the possibility of more error when you can avoid it?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You are going to love that gun, I have it in 17 and 22. The 17 wears a sightron sII 4-16 AO, these were pretty easy to find for under 200 bucks awhile back. The 22 has a nikon rimfire efr.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I addressed that in the previous post.

You did not address the out of focus issue, only the error.
Nobody wants to use a blurry scope

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Noticed the tract 22 FIRE 4-12X40 BDC Rimfire Rifle Scope has a fixed parallax at 75.I know they say hyper velocity but says can use standard as well.

NE Oklahoma
Love all things outside and enjoy cooking.Married with 3 kids
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always buy the best glass you can afford. AO adjustment is always a plus on a Rimfire scope. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Optic...SRBG&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_7_sc

What the doctor ordered. Burris’s Long Range MOA makes for quite a nice long range rimfire reticle once you know your dope. Very,very nice scope-reticle combination especially at give away prices. These were $167 a few months ago and may be still at other venders. Parallax adjustable down to 50 yds. If you want to dial it order a turret from Kenton and Hey Presto!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive no use for a big goofy scope on a 22lr. Common range i shoot small game, the leupold 2.5x ultralight has been suberb.

At close range 10-75 yards, the 150 yd paralax setting does not effect accuracy.

A 22 lr carbine with a fixed 2.5x ultralight is about as handy a rifle one could carry.

I agree that paralax is a non issue within the typical ranges of hunting small game with a 22lr.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 03/06/22.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

96 members (35, 338rcm, 7x57Hunter, AGL4now, 160user, 41rem, 14 invisible), 969 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,504
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.