Print Thread
Hop To
E
elian Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I have been trying to hunt pheasants in the southwest US for the last years with no success. I mean wild pheasants and not ranch raised ones in private clubs. California, Arizona, Nevada have been my main hunting grounds. I do not want to go to Baja in Mexico, which I understand has a good pheasant population because of the uncertainties of the Mexican hunting laws. Any advice I can get? <P>Thanks.<P>[This message has been edited by faisan (edited June 29, 2000).]<P>[This message has been edited by faisan (edited June 29, 2000).]

GB1

J
J
elian:<P>Assuming you want to hunt near the Southwest USA, I don't think that you can find any better pheasant hunting than in the Mexicali Valley. You'll also find gobs of Gambel's quail, doves by the millions, the best waterfowl hunting west of the Mississippi bar none, and even great coyote and rabbit hunting, if that's your thing.<P>As for the Mexican gun and hunting laws, you're right. They can be really tricky. But I've been hunting Mexico for over twenty years, and if you follow the rules (buy a hunting license, correctly register firearms, do not exceed ammunition limits or bag limits, and stay sober), you will have no problems. It's only the gringos that try to buck the system that end up doing hard time.<P>You want pheasants. The Mexicali Valley has more pheasants than you can imagine, and just might be the best pheasant hunting in North America (I know it sounds crazy, but it's true!).<P>Run for the border!<P>Jimbo

The Only Time Gin Is Bad Is When You Have A 44 In Hand.
W
W
Hey faisan, could you check out my post re: Mexican licenses.<BR>Thanks <P>Winmag

R
R
Jimbo...<P>Where in the world is Mexicali Valley?? How was the quail hatch there this year?<P>Ryan

J
J
Ryan:<P>The Mexicali Valley is, I believe, the Imperial Valley on the Mexican side. It's pretty close to the AZ, CA, old Mex border, and there are oodles of Gambel's quail around on good years, especially near canals.<P>I'd say the hatch this year was decent but not great. No huge coveys yet, and the season is quite along. But for upland hunting, old Mex is tough to beat, especially if you live in the SW USA.<P>Jim

The Only Time Gin Is Bad Is When You Have A 44 In Hand.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 48 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,975
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.